The Lost Arc of SEGA - An IGN Retro Look

Jericho · 911

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
on: April 23, 2009, 03:50:12 AM
Well since I didn't see this topic here earlier and I thought it was a really interesting read, I thought I'd share it with the RPM community.

Article

You know what I thought was a bit of a mind blowing revelation coming all these years later? As it would so turn out, Nintendo & SEGA actually helped to give birth to the monster that was Sony Playstation line:

"We got together with [Sony] and defined what we'd like to see in our next hardware. We had this great idea that it should be a joint SEGA-Sony hardware system. If we had to take a loss on the hardware (which was the norm then), we'd split the loss on the hardware, but we wouldn't split software, so any software they did, they'd get 100% of the profits, and any software we did, we'd get 100% of the profits. It seemed like a fair deal since we were eons ahead of them in terms of software development."

"So we go to Japan, and Sony management liked the idea. Then we went to SEGA, and Nakayama hated the idea. [laughs] So that was the end of that, and the rest is history once again. Those were the specs that became the PlayStation." -- Tom Kalinske

Discuss.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 05:55:08 AM
Higher ups not willing to listen to the warnings of lower level employees due to their pride is sadly a very very common occurence, and the results can be absolutely devastating. Sega's the perfect example of this. Good article... I knew most if not all of it, but it sets everything down quite clearly.

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:33:45 AM
SEGA's and Nintendo [tornado fang]ing prides always gets/got in the way of GOOD [parasitic bomb]. This is specially true in Sega's past and Nintendo's present...

*SIGH*