The Official Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver Discussion Thread

Jericho · 418623

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Okay so I was hatching some Torchics trying to get a Adamant natured one and I had 4 eggs.  The first 2 didn't have the right nature and the 4th was Adamant but what about the third?

[spoiler]
And it had better stats than the 4th.[/spoiler]

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Nice battle, 'maru.  I was lucky you had a lot of Water/Ice weaknesses, because I forgot to set my proper team before entering. :|  The DRAGONITE POWER that I had sic you was actually the wrong one. 

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
*Cough*

Wrong one?  You should have warned me there would be Ubers...I had no chance, yet was able to take down two at least. 8D

Anyways, It was a good match. I'll finish my Ubers, so that I can play against you equally! Anyways, does anyone have time for the trade back. Still want to evolve my Sedra...

When was the last time I poked you guys...

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
I use *ONE* Uber, 'Maru.  If you'd have warned me that you weren't using any, I'd have been willing to bench him.  And if I hadn't forgotten to bring a particular teammate along, you wouldn't have gotten Lapras out of there, either. >U<

That's why I like the console battling style.  You view your opponent's team first and select your order accordingly.  Going in blind, as on the handhelds, you have no idea which 'mans you'd want to save for later.  Generally I would prefer to not open with an Uber, but Palkia and Lapras form a pretty reliable combination.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Sorry, keep on forgetting one of the members you brought out is not uber.  '>.> Doesn't matter though since I wouldn't doubt that if you had brought out the missing one, I would have lost horribly.

GAH! 3 weeks of training those pokemon and I lost. MY REVENGE! WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME!?

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Wrong one?  You should have warned me there would be Ubers...I had no chance, yet was able to take down two at least. 8D

Says the guy who used Ttar and Dragonite against a UU team.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Okay so I was hatching some Torchics trying to get a Adamant natured one and I had 4 eggs.  The first 2 didn't have the right nature and the 4th was Adamant but what about the third?

[spoiler]
And it had better stats than the 4th.[/spoiler]
FFFFFFFFFFFF A BREEDED SHINY
I'M IN TOTAL ENVY HERE *o*

EDIT: Forgot to post my final team that took care of the E4 on Soul Silver.
Lvl50 Meganium (M, Bashful)
Lvl50 Noctowl (M, Modest)
Lvl50 Golem (F, Serious)
Lvl51 Ampharos (M, Hardy)
Lvl51 Gyarados (M, Hardy)
Lvl51 Ninetales (F, Timid)

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Legendary

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Well, my team is mostly ready. I just need a Stone Edge if anybody's willing to spare.

...Or a male Donphan with Stone Edge.

Also, anybody want a quick battle?

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
FFFFFFFFFFFF A BREEDED SHINY
I'M IN TOTAL ENVY HERE *o*

EDIT: Forgot to post my final team that took care of the E4 on Soul Silver.
Lvl50 Meganium (M, Bashful)
Lvl50 Noctowl (M, Modest)
Lvl50 Golem (F, Serious)
Lvl51 Ampharos (M, Hardy)
Lvl51 Gyarados (M, Hardy)
Lvl51 Ninetales (F, Timid)

Wow, did you grind a lot or am I just not grinding enough? Those are close to my levels and I already have all 16 badges XD

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
I just like to be fully prepared before tackling something. XD
Though I lax'd a bit in Soul Silver.
But will be grinding them all to lvl60 before heading to Kanto.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Quick question, if a pokemon with a lucky egg wins a battle, does the pokemon with exp. share also get the boost in experience?

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Nope.
Just the one holding it.

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Says the guy who used Ttar and Dragonite against a UU team.
In my defense, I have no excuses. Although, you usually win, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
I don't know how relevant this anecdote is to the theme of this thread, but I thought I would tell it anyway. For the past hour on Pokemon Battle Pokemon, every trainer I battled randomly had at least two legendaries on their team and one of the was ALWAYS a Mewtwo. Since I normally disdain the use of Ubers, I use OU Pokemon most and my battling skills leave much to be desired. Anyway, the last person I came across had an all-Ubers team so I thought I would be a jerk for the heck of it knowing that I'd lose.

So I used my Vaporeon/Metagross team for the "Protect and Explode" tactic which failed against the foe's Giratina and Ho-oh. Metagross faints taking most of Ho-oh's HP, I switch Vaporeon with Togekiss and call out Gengar knowing who Giratina was planning to hit with Shadow Force (Gengar, obviously). So moments before Shadow Force actually hits, I turn off the Wii and walk away with spiteful glee knowing that at least I lost on my own terms, and knowing said n00b was probably going to call in Mewtwo anyway.

So I have to ask: am I a horrible person?

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Legendary

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
It's not really like you lost on your own terms. I mean you coulda just ran away from the fight. =/

Offline Pyro

• Wielder of the Chaos Force
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Boo yeah!
    • View Profile
But where's the fun in that?  >0<

Come and read some Thoughts of a Platypus

Offline Legendary

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I suppose we all have had some of our least proudest moments.

For example, Stone Edge missing and costing me an otherwise won match. 9 TIMES IN ONE NIGHT. After it missed a Gardevoir and the match was pretty much lost I just turned my Wii off cuz it was dinnertime anyway.

Honestly, why are all Rock-moves so crappish? Rock Throw is fail, Rock Slide is weak and the flinchrate doesn't kick in nearly as much as it should, Stone Edge isn't so much inaccurate as it just seems to have a mind of its own, somehow only missing at the absolute worst moment possible. And only so many PokeMon get Head Smash. Still only so many PokeMon can actually use the move without inadvertently killing themselves (Yeah Rampardos, way to have a signature move you can never use. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant). Seems the best Rock-type attack is Stealth Rock... -_-

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Someone do me a favor and explain this EV/IV [parasitic bomb] and Nature [parasitic bomb] to me in terms that I can understand and why it is so important.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
I believe Serebii.net can do a way better job at that for EVs/IVs. XD

As for natures, it's a lot more simple.
There are 25 natures in total, 5 of which are the neutral ones (Bashful, Docile, Hardy, Quirky and Serious).
These 5 have no extra effects on the stats you are gonna get on a Pokemon.

The other 20 natures however, will affect one stat positively, and another stat negatively.
That is to say, when a Pokemon with one of the 20 natures... Say Adamant, levels up. By it's nature, it's Attack stat will grow faster than normal, while it's Special Attack stat will grow slower than normal (normal as in terms of the 5 neutral natures).

The list is as follows:
[spoiler=The 20 natures...]Lonely: +Att, -Def
Adamant: +Att, -Sp. Att
Naughty: +Att, -Sp. Def
Brave: +Att, -Spd

Bold: +Def, -Att
Impish: +Def, -Sp. Att
Lax: +Def, -Sp. Def
Relaxed: +Def, -Spd

Modest: +Sp. Att, -Att
Mild: +Sp. Att, -Def
Rash: +Sp. Att, -Sp. Def
Quiet: +Sp. Att, -Spd

Calm: +Sp. Def, -Att
Gentle: +Sp. Def, -Def
Careful: +Sp. Def, -Sp. Att
Sassy: +Sp. Def, -Spd

Timid: +Spd, -Att
Hasty: +Spd, -Def
Jolly: +Spd, -Sp. Att
Naive: +Spd, -Sp. Def[/spoiler]

Natures are important if you want specific kinds of Pokemon.
For example, you know Machamp has a great Attack stat, and you want to further improve on that Attack stat, so Adamant (+Att, -Sp. Att) will be a great choice since Machamp usually won't be using Special moves.

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Um... Aren't there 5 neutral natures?
I didn't read the entire post, nevermind.

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Someone do me a favor and explain this EV/IV [parasitic bomb] and Nature [parasitic bomb] to me in terms that I can understand and why it is so important.

EVs are basically a second type of experience, just for stats instead of levels. Kill something and get 4 attack EVs, your attack permanently goes up by one. Kill enough things to get 252 attack EVs, your attack goes up by a total of 63. Just you've got a cap of 510 EVs overall, and you're only allowed 252 in a specific stat, so you can't max out everything. So an Alakazam who's been grinding away at the right things will probably have 252 special attack and 252 speed, whereas one that just picks fights at random will probably have his EVs spread among every stat he's got. Chances are that Alakazam will benefit from having a higher speed over having higher HP or whatever, so that's why they're important.
IVs are just slightly random stats on pokemon. Every pokemon species has base stat totals that you can easily look up, then they get a random bonus of 0-31 points, generated when you first see them. Sometimes it's important, sometimes it isn't. Alakazam from before doesn't care about physical attacks, so no issues even if his attack IV is 0. But speed or something, that can really matter. If he faces another Alakazam, and the only difference is their speed IV, then it basically decides who's faster, and who's gonna hit the other guy in the face with a Shadow Ball first.

So yeah EVs = experience, but for stats instead of levels. IVs = preset bonuses to stats. That's it.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Ah, okay. That makes alot more sense and makes it even more complicated than I ever imagined for pokemon.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Speaking of IVs, my legendaries got some really bad luck with IVs. All of them have some quite bad IVs, Zapdos is the only one with decent ones and yet he gets like <5 IVs in everything defensive =/

Offline Legendary

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I find it hilariously ironic that pretty much everybody who plays PokeMon competitively shoots for the same individual values, 31s all around.

If everybody's going for 31 IVs in Speed and whatever attacking/defending stat(s) your PokeMon uses, then where's the individuality?

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Speaking of IVs, my legendaries got some really bad luck with IVs. All of them have some quite bad IVs, Zapdos is the only one with decent ones and yet he gets like <5 IVs in everything defensive =/
Yeah some of my pokemons IV so far are weird too.  Most of them are attack, which is great except for my Modest Budew. The Calm Budew, Modest female Ralts, and Adamant Beldum all have HP boosting IVs.  And apparently my shiny Adamant Torchic is the only one with a 'relatively superior' IV stat in Special Attack acoording to that dude in the Battle Tower.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection