The Official Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver Discussion Thread

Jericho · 418637

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Unless you use those EV reducing berries, no? Something like 11 of them will completely clear a stat of all EVs?

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile

And yeah, the current implementation of EVs is bullshit, but the old system was a lot more bullshit. If they're gonna be like that they should just get rid of them completely and raise base stats a little. Exactly the same effect, but without the need to kill like 650 base 600s to get there.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Actually, 110 Base-600's would get you there

Total Base Stats add up real fast.  Consider the fact that you plow through 30 'mans per Elite Four run, and it's not too much to ask.  Especially when you consider the experience from the adventure of the game is actually valid, and you can Vitamin speed through the first two fifths or so.  If you further take into account how current items like Macho Brace would factor in, it'd be a cakewalk.

Compare that with having to track down one specific Pokemon 26 times over to max only one stat.  And that's the minimum when you figure you're taking full advantage of Vitamins and Macho Brace.  Power **** items make it a little easier, but still.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline SoulAnimal

• PB's Fangirl
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Protoman? :3
    • View Profile
Hey if the EVing system isnt good , is a metagross with 404 attack good? its shiny and never had the pokerus

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Actually, 110 Base-600's would get you there

I thought you said each stat needed 65535. 65535 for each stat is 393210. If we get 600 for every kill, and assume we only fight Manaphy or Mew or something so nothing gets wasted, that's 393210/600=655.35=656.

Am I missing something here or what?

And yeah, it means you'll be able to actually use the pokemon you used in game, but I really wouldn't call that worth it if it takes forever to train any new ones. Especially since ingame teams are probably gonna have the wrong natures or lack egg moves so they'll won't be that good anyway.

Hey if the EVing system isnt good , is a metagross with 404 attack good? its shiny and never had the pokerus

Yeah. You've got a 30 instead of a 31 in your attack IV, but 1 point won't make a difference almost all the time, so a 30's still pretty damn good. What are its other stats like?

Offline SoulAnimal

• PB's Fangirl
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Meh ,high 200's

Too lazy to get out my DSi and check , focusing on convincing parents that its worth for one of them to take me to Otakon

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
The differences in 30 and 31 IVs are to determine the type of your Hidden Power attack of its higgest base attack namely 70. If all IVs are 31, the Hidden Power is treated as a Dark Type attack with a power of 70, which should not be underrestimated.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
HP Dark on a Metagross.

Not feelin' it.

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
HP Dark on a Metagross.

Not feelin' it.
But HP Fire or Ground hurts more than you think.

In general HP is for Pokemon, who cannot learn that certain typ based attack to counter their weakness.
Lets take Scizor as example, his only weakness is fire by a multiplkator of 4 (It hurts!). Should he meet a Charizard in a 1vs1 battle he would lose that battle, however if you teach him HP with Rock as its attack type, the situation would look better in the confrontation, but he still lacks the speed to attack it first, so I would equip Scizor with a item which should raise his speed.
With some luck, you can even defeat Pokemon which have the typ advantage.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
We're not talkin' about Scizor. We're talking about Metagross. And HP Dark on a Metagross is not a good idea.

Also nobody should ever use HP on Scizor ever. 55 special attack dude, come on.

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
I would too, but in GSC and before DP, HP is physical or special by the determined typ.

Metagross is weak against Fire and Ground, so make sure that your Pokemon has high Spez.Atk and a spezial based Ground or Fire attack. Metagross's Spez.Def is not so high like its normal Def.
You know what you have to do.

Offline SoulAnimal

• PB's Fangirl
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
So what does this teach me about my Metagross?

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
In short, you have a very fine Metagross, and never dabble in Hidden Power due to it's mechanics.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
My Gorebyss has a good HP. It only took me like around 400 eggs to get.

It's fine to dabble if you don't have things like having a life getting in the way.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
I thought you said each stat needed 65535. 65535 for each stat is 393210. If we get 600 for every kill, and assume we only fight Manaphy or Mew or something so nothing gets wasted, that's 393210/600=655.35=656.

Am I missing something here or what?
Sorry, brain-fart.

But I STILL think it beats the hell out of the new system.  They could always take the old and lower the caps.

Basically, there just shouldn't be a total-stat cap as there is now.  It also stinks that any given Pokemon only raises EVs for one or two stats.  With the old system you got a little something for everything.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I think I prefer the system where you have to think about where to assign EVs rather than just grind every stat to the maximum. It'd be like if they removed the autolevel to 100 option when playing online. Either grind like crazy, or be beaten by someone who did. Not fun.

Archer

OPINION

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile

lolwut?

Funny that the Soul Silver description doesn't say any of that.

Here's a screencap for you lazy people.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Finally an even bigger reason to get both versions? It'd be interesting (and rage inducing too) if Kanto was SS exclusive and HG got Hoenn instead.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
A Gym Leader using Dark Pokemon?  Finally!

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Sparky

• Игра закончена
  • A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Hm, if this is true, this would probably help some people move on to the DSi, seeing how apparently the main Gen III regions will be visitable.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Wait, it's confirmed to be DSi exclusive now, or you're saying there's a decent workaround for it all now thanks to the regions being in the game paks Sparks?

Pardon the slow brain facilities tonight, I'm half asleep right now. XD

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
there's a decent workaround for it all now thanks to the regions being in the game paks?

^That one.

Offline Sparky

• Игра закончена
  • A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Lawl... Released in 2,000... 8D
Though...
Hoenn!? NEW Gym Leader that uses Dark Pokemon!?
I hope Liza&Tate weren't the ones that got chopped off...

Still...
Man, sounds too awesome to believe...

I'm watching you all. Always watching.