The Official Pokemon Heart Gold & Soul Silver Discussion Thread

Jericho · 418657

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Just some tiny news.

From Serebii, Heart Gold and Soul Silver will be available in Japan on 12th September 2009.
So localisation and stuff... 2010 release?

And from Pokebeach, an in-depth look and guide into "Melee! Pokemon Scramble!".

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
2010 release is a definite. I'm calling for the usual February-April gap for pokemon games, very likely in March.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Ooooh riiiight.... I was supposed to get Scramble... >v<; </wii>

Posted on: June 26, 2009, 09:45:49
OK, I bought it~ ^^ I'll play it later, after I get home in the afternoon. >v<b

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
I'm actually pretty interested in the Scramble battle thing for Pokemon, I've always wanted to play as the little buggers themselves and kick all sorts of ass without shouting orders, and it's pretty awesome to be able to play as Weavile, Lucario, or Garchomp and rip [parasitic bomb] apart with them (I would have loved Blaziken to be in there, but alas, he was 3rd gen and not 1st or 4th).

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
If you're gonna unlock Pokemons with passwords in Scramble, you should NEVER do it early in the game, or they will lose lots of Strength power stats. Mew has a power of 2255 or close to it, but if you unlock Mew in say, the Grade B arena, it will only have 199 in power. Password-version Eevee has 420 (or 490) power, so you have to wait and advance through the game before you decide to unlock pokemons. You can catch Eevee in the wild anyways, maybe even stronger than the unlockable one. It depends on when you catch the pokemon, and the further you get, the stronger they become. You will end up throwing out a lot of your weak pokemons sooner or later. You can't level them up either... -w- </wii>

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
If you're gonna unlock Pokemons with passwords in Scramble, you should NEVER do it early in the game, or they will lose lots of Strength power stats. Mew has a power of 2255 or close to it, but if you unlock Mew in say, the Grade B arena, it will only have 199 in power. Password-version Eevee has 420 (or 490) power, so you have to wait and advance through the game before you decide to unlock pokemons. You can catch Eevee in the wild anyways, maybe even stronger than the unlockable one. It depends on when you catch the pokemon, and the further you get, the stronger they become. You will end up throwing out a lot of your weak pokemons sooner or later. You can't level them up either... -w- </wii>

Well that's just evil >< Do they still use the Type system or is it replaced with different attacks or something that doesn't impact the game as much as it does the others?

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Well, it is stated right here:
Quote from: Pokebeach.com
Type matchups, Weakness, and Resistance do come into play, but aren’t as critical a factor as in the DS games. Immunities are a nonissue; Ghosts can be damaged with Fighting moves, Poison-types can be Poisoned, there’s no Water Absorb or Levitate.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
For you Wily: The Final Battle Royals in Pokemon Scramble~

Normal Mode
Another Mode

Extra Mode might show up later. ^^
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 01:15:13 PM by Vixy »

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
... AWESOME.
The remix'd theme for Mewtwo, oh man... And that Mewtwo battle was awesome, pwning the 3 legendary birds... XD

And going reckless in Another... Awesome.
Plus Palkia, Dialga, and Gratine... >w<

Thank you SO much Vixy! <3 :cookie: :cookie:

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Remixed Mewtwo theme......must listen to when the wife isn't sleeping next room over.  >.>

There's still EQ to handle Steels, as well as Fire-type attacks. Superpower just forces Dragonite to either switch or constantly use Dragon Dance, so I wouldn't say that's a good thing <.<
As if Outrage is a good long-term attack anyway?  Most battles don't last that long, especially not when everyone and their dog knows to keep a few Ice Beamers handy.

You'd want two anti-Steel attack types to guarantee full coverage, and NOT Fighting with Ground (due to Bronzong and Skarmory), so it has to be Fire and something else.  EQ is nice, but in Doubles, you can't use it without hammering a non-Flying/Levitating partner.  The extra Fighting coverage against Ice and Dark is always a plus, too.  Even with just Brick Break (more for the sake of knowing your target, since a 2x Brick Break doesn't outdamage a 1.5x Outrage), my Dragonite/Blissey combo has torn apart a Dark Void opener.  With Superpower it gets even more devastating.

Odds are it'll be an event pokemon about 6 months after the game gets released, if they don't put it in there.
I wonder.  There's already an event Dragonite for the purpose of legitimizing him in Nintendo's non-adjusting Level 50 tournaments (I made sure to go to TrU and get a legit one, and he rocks).  But it could happen.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Akira

• Mr. Fanservice & Vixy's cute boy
  • Neo Arcadian
  • BAKA!
    • View Profile
New wallpaper!   ( 2009.9.12 On Sale!)

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/hgss/special/wallpaper.html

Offline Akira

• Mr. Fanservice & Vixy's cute boy
  • Neo Arcadian
  • BAKA!
    • View Profile

Offline Sparky

• Игра закончена
  • A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=87493

Hello Generation 5 and Ruby/Sapphire remakes.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Ruby and Sapphire remakes? Wat.

I guess they needed to fix the fail that tainted the series in those installments as well. *shot* XD

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=87493

Hello Generation 5 and Ruby/Sapphire remakes.

Odds are those mysterious Pokes are probably Brock's Pokemon. Think about it, Ash's take up about three, Pikachu, Gliscor & Monferno, and Buizel, Grotle, & Staraptor, Dawn's take up two, Piplup and then the rest on a single one, and the only one that hasn't been shown one is Brock. The middle one could easily be Happiny, so it sort of supports it. Why they make it silhouetted is anyone's guess though.

Besides, even if I'm wrong, I think you're given Nintendo too much credit. They'll probably release a Ruby/Sapphire version on the DS just to make money people happy XD

As if Outrage is a good long-term attack anyway?  Most battles don't last that long, especially not when everyone and their dog knows to keep a few Ice Beamers handy.

You'd want two anti-Steel attack types to guarantee full coverage, and NOT Fighting with Ground (due to Bronzong and Skarmory), so it has to be Fire and something else.  EQ is nice, but in Doubles, you can't use it without hammering a non-Flying/Levitating partner.  The extra Fighting coverage against Ice and Dark is always a plus, too.  Even with just Brick Break (more for the sake of knowing your target, since a 2x Brick Break doesn't outdamage a 1.5x Outrage), my Dragonite/Blissey combo has torn apart a Dark Void opener.  With Superpower it gets even more devastating.

That's a double team, so that's sort of exempt from being used as any kind of example. Plus, it still makes it obvious that you'll switch at some point. Outrage at least has STAB and giant power the entire time, and it's only resisted by Steel types. Superpower is resisted by Psychic and Flying types, and Ghosts have no problem stepping into the attack. If Salamence or Gyarados steps into a Superpower, then in one turn the users attack is halved. Dragonite isn't a bad Pokemon, but when it comes to Sweeping, Salamence is better. Dragonite does one helluva job being a defensive Pokemon though.

Well, it is stated right here:

That's sort of good I guess.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
I wouldn't mind... If it finally meant I can catch Regigigas... >.>;

As for those keychains, nice.

Either way, I highly await for the time when the number of Pokemon is over 9000. *crushes PokeDex*

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I guess they needed to fix the fail that tainted the series in those installments as well. *shot* XD
I'm not so sure a remake could fix that...

That's a double team, so that's sort of exempt from being used as any kind of example.
This is why "competitive" battling is complete rubbish.  You don't just ignore half the game and call it standard play.

Outrage at least has STAB and giant power the entire time, and it's only resisted by Steel types. Superpower is resisted by Psychic and Flying types, and Ghosts have no problem stepping into the attack.
Thank you, captain obvious, but it completely ignores the point that Dragonite can have both, so the point of running comparisons is what?  That was never at any point an either-or discussion.

As for Salamence, his relationship with Dragonite is the same as its always been: Salamence has the more favored stat balance for sweeping, and Dragonite has the wider move pool.  Which is better depends on how you intend to use them.  And at the end of the day, they're both strong enough that personal preference is all the reason you need.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
This is why "competitive" battling is complete rubbish.  You don't just ignore half the game and call it standard play.

I didn't make the rules, don't bite my head off.

Thank you, captain obvious, but it completely ignores the point that Dragonite can have both, so the point of running comparisons is what?  That was never at any point an either-or discussion.

The sentence you cutoff pretty much answers your question. Superpower is obvious when it'll switch, Outrage isn't thanks to the two berries that solve confusion, Lum and anti-confuse (I can't remember the friggin names aside from Lum and the offense+/Speed+ berry), and never knowing if it actually has it.

Offline SoulAnimal

• PB's Fangirl
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Protoman? :3
    • View Profile
hey , would it be worth EV'ing my pokes on platinum , when HG and SS will come out?

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Just EV-train them now.
Localised HGSS won't come until perhaps early 2010.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I didn't make the rules, don't bite my head off.
Said rules are completely fan-based, and your first sentence contested my post based solely on them.  If your own attitude towards them is indifferent, then you shouldn't have brought them up in the first place.

The sentence you cutoff pretty much answers your question.
You clearly do not understand my question.  I am not asking what the difference between them is or why one is better than the other.  I am asking what that has to do with the discussion.  Because never, anywhere, did I suggest eliminating Outrage in favor of Superpower, only a fool would do so on a Dragon.  What I said was that it was an excellent choice to round out offensive options in addition to Outrage.  So argument for using Outrage over Superpower are completely irrelevant.

Superpower is obvious when it'll switch, Outrage isn't thanks to the two berries that solve confusion, Lum and anti-confuse (I can't remember the friggin names aside from Lum and the offense+/Speed+ berry), and never knowing if it actually has it.
White Herb mean anything to you?

BTW, the berry you were thinking of is Persim Berry.  Nobody uses it in the competitive format because for some bizarre reason they apply no limit to duplicate hold items.  Therefore Lum Berry is the only status recovery berry worth using.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile

Am I the only living being that actually liked generation 3?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Sparky

• Игра закончена
  • A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Am I the only living being that actually liked generation 3?

I didn't have any problems with it. Personally, I sorta liked it more than Gen II. >>;

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Heathens. :P

In all seriousness, 3rd gen wasn't bad, per se, just not up to snuff with the other two, IMHO.  The over-use of sluggish water routes was a big part of it (the other being I cannot forgive a Pokemon game that does not feature Dragonite and Mewtwo; hence my purchasing a GBA Action Replay along with my Sapphire Version).

'course, I loved the 3rd gen console games.  Colosseum and Gale of Darkness rocked a lot of socks, the earlier of which had some damn kickass GBA remixes, and easily my favorite player character of all Pokemon games.