Sapphire✧9 · 29348

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #100 on: March 04, 2010, 07:05:41 AM
It's sad the sprites are pretty terrible though. Shame on you Capcom.

Well... What can you do when you limit yourself to 8-bit style graphics? X_X

I suppose he could have had better graphics, although I suppose he would have stood out far too much from MM and Proto's current 8-bit designs if he was designed any different in the style we have now. X_X

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: March 04, 2010, 07:14:36 AM
Well... What can you do when you limit yourself to 8-bit style graphics? X_X

This?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: March 04, 2010, 07:41:38 AM
Pretty much. The Bass sprites are just laziness. Maybe they'll consider upgrading them to the ones Taiyo posted next time.

Ah, who am I kidding...

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #103 on: March 04, 2010, 03:06:47 PM
Yeah, i was complaining about that earlier.  Even MM7 FC's are better.  A shame since I think all their other sprites are very well done. 

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #104 on: March 04, 2010, 03:52:58 PM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: March 04, 2010, 06:24:15 PM
This?

Even the BnF sprites don't show the full extent of what can be done under NES restrictions.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Reply #106 on: March 04, 2010, 06:32:57 PM
This?

That's NOT what I meant. If they used THAT design, I don't think it matches the same design MM and Proto use. @_@

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: March 04, 2010, 07:48:03 PM
The P&F MM an Proto were barely different in style to the usual 8 bit sprites. Evidence: Vixy's flash on the main site uses P&F sprites along with the usual ones for Rock, could you tell?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: March 04, 2010, 07:55:58 PM
....Personally I think Forte looks fine.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: March 04, 2010, 08:02:25 PM
It's not that it looks bad, it's more of an annoyance that it's just an angry slightly edited Rock when they already made much better 8 bit sprites of him.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: March 04, 2010, 08:07:43 PM
....Personally I think Forte looks fine.
Me too. I donĀ“t get what all the hate is for. I mean, nobody was ever complainting about Blues, who is also a  edited sprite of Rock.
It's not that it looks bad, it's more of an annoyance that it's just an angry slightly edited Rock when they already made much better 8 bit sprites of him.
So does Rock, yet they kept his old sprites and just added a new pallete to him

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: March 04, 2010, 08:17:17 PM

LoL, but isn't Forte as a character just a angry slightly edited Rock?   8D

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: March 04, 2010, 08:23:20 PM
Touche, but at least he used to have a face different from Rock's XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: March 04, 2010, 08:31:22 PM
Perhaps he felt that to better compete with Rock, he needed to look more like him.  Maybe Forte thought that it was Rock's naturally good looks that gave him his power & his strong sense of vanity.

I believe that's check & mate, good sir!   8)

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: March 04, 2010, 08:32:28 PM
He always looked like rock, but he was wearring make up

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: March 04, 2010, 08:49:46 PM
While I love Mend's 8-bit forte to death; there are parts of Capcom's 8-bit forte that really strike out at me. For one think, he has an outline. Although, I still wish they used a darker shade of gray. Forte's palette makes him look silver, not black.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: March 04, 2010, 08:53:17 PM
LoL, but isn't Forte as a character just a angry slightly edited Rock?

What makes you think that? Forte's design is more comparable to RockmanX's than Rock. He's quite a bit taller and has both a chest armor and bulky shoulder pads.

I mean, nobody was ever complainting about Blues, who is also a  edited sprite of Rock.

That's absolutely not the case. No matter how much Blues resembles Rock in terms of design, his sprite is completely unique. The body posing and proportions are different.

Compare that to R10's Forte, and it becomes obvious that for all Forte's many actual differences with Rock, his sprite is closer to Rock's than Blues' is. Which is just plain bad.

Although, I still wish they used a darker shade of gray

The NES palette doesn't have a darker shade of gray than that. Which is why a character such as Reggae was drawn completely black. However, Forte being a player character has to exist on black backgrounds also, presenting a very tough dilemma. A dilemma to which I've been pondering the answer myself; the gray is just too light, but the all black presents some gameplay issues.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: March 04, 2010, 09:19:42 PM
Didnt 9 already have a few colors not usable on the NES? i do recall that being said. it wouldnt have killed them to MAKE a slightly darker shade.

Also, the dilemma of Forte and Black backgrounds is easily solved by evolving the series and stepping out of Rockman 2's shadow.
HERE WE GO AGAIN!

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: March 04, 2010, 09:33:19 PM
Sheepman's mugshot had a darkish color in it, Nitroman too. Could they use that?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #119 on: March 04, 2010, 09:48:12 PM
There's black, dark gray, light gray, and white. those are the shades in the NES palette. Right?
Also, unless I'm mistaken, the mugshots can use a different palette; they aren't restricted to sprite palettes because they're part of the BG. Correct me if I'm wrong.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: March 04, 2010, 09:53:17 PM
There's black, dark gray, light gray, and white. those are the shades in the NES palette. Right?
Also, unless I'm mistaken, the mugshots can use a different palette; they aren't restricted to sprite palettes because they're part of the BG. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The palette is same for sprites and BG

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: March 04, 2010, 09:54:12 PM
Sheepman's mugshot had a darkish color in it, Nitroman too. Could they use that?

That's a very good alternative. However, that color is actually a dark blue. Forte would getting a very blueish hue to him. It's dark enough to pass as black, but when you actually look closely at it, it kinda makes him too blue for comfort. Still, it's a very nice middle ground to consider. I like the idea.

The sprites and background use the exact same palettes. Which is how MM6 was able to make the most out of its available colors, clever reuse between characters and environment. However.. certain colors, like those that are too dark or too dull, don't look too well in such a small space as a sprite.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #122 on: March 04, 2010, 10:29:25 PM
The sprites and background use the exact same palettes. Which is how MM6 was able to make the most out of its available colors, clever reuse between characters and environment. However.. certain colors, like those that are too dark or too dull, don't look too well in such a small space as a sprite.

I thought this would have a good look-at.

Of course, then there's pallete hacking. It's possible, but I just wanted to point it out that a pallete like that is possible with a bit of code modification to match.

They could've also sampled thier RnF pallete and apply the darkest shade to him while the sprites were being constructed. Sometimes, how the colors work well on a sprite or not is how it's handled. If you manage to do it well, congrats. Capcom apparently is going through the same Trial-And-Error route they took while the franchise was nothing more but a series with Bass.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: March 04, 2010, 10:41:22 PM
I thought this would have a good look-at.

That color is quite a bit lighter on an "actual" NES palette. But, give or take, that's the one used on SheepMan and NitroMan's mugshot.

See here:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3889/11447068.gif

With the exception of a mistake on SheepMan's wool, those are the correct MM9/10 colors.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #124 on: March 04, 2010, 10:52:22 PM
Intrestingly though, the pallete can be messed with, but it was Cappy's decision for a light grey, although the MM&B pallete is applicable to the NES pallete.

And yes, Bass might look better, but would wind up with a darkish aqua tone. Oh well.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.