Reply #326 on: March 08, 2009, 02:55:21 PM
No Cloud? Aww.... D:

Anyways, I do like this project!

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #327 on: March 08, 2009, 03:27:45 PM
You don't think those characters are a bit on the obscure side?

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #328 on: March 08, 2009, 08:02:30 PM
You don't think those characters are a bit on the obscure side?

That was the point.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #329 on: March 09, 2009, 04:41:50 AM
Special Unity Nine.

Just when everything seems to be going fine, Sigma assembles a new team bent on doing bad things to X. Boner, man.

It begins when Alia digs up a supposed prophecy (it's a text file made on Windows 3.1--this is a major clue as to its validity) detailing the rise of an "advanced sentient machine" who will either save the world or destroy it. She reports this to Signas, then loses interest in it and casts it aside.

Somehow, this information makes it back to Sigma, who's been retrieved from the moon and given another body. He finds it vaguely interesting, but the fact that it's a flipping Win3.1 text file makes him doubt it's anything other than some last-century college student's rambling. Sigma's about to discard it when a man calling himself Shin arrives at the door and claims that said prophecy pertains to him.

Needless to say, Sigma takes advantage of this and dramatically announces the prophecy to first the Maverick Hunters and then the general public, giving the former time to send out enough Hunters to search for Shin (Sigma left out the man's name and location) before deploying his latest Mavericks, "Special Unit Nine". The plan is to overwhelm the Hunter base, but thanks to X, Zero, and co. intercepting them early on, that doesn't happen. This doesn't bother Sigma, however, as he figures that the Hunters won't be able to handle the stress of trying to locate Shin and stop SU9 at the same time.

Everyone's plans go in the toilet once Shin decides to stop playing along with Siggy...

Going in order from left to right and back again:

Sun Titan: She had a job as a construction supervisor, but her decision to join the "Maverick Party" put a crimp in it. Sun Titan wasn't really fit for her job anyway; she had more fun setting fire to the workers' belongings than making sure their did their own jobs. In fact, she's downright psychopathic, and her bosses spent several intense months wondering when she'd finally go Maverick. Sun Titan has twin Flame Busters fueled by white phosphorous, and speaks of everything in political terms (her favourite verbal targets are the "dirty Liberal" Maverick Hunters).

Kora Chaota: Formerly a scientist working under Sigma, Kora Chaota picked this uncertain time to go forth onto the battlefield. His life's work is a program that allows his body to split into millions of nanobots; it allows him to go virtually anywhere undeteced. Fittingly, Kora Chaota is utterly deranged, constantly thinking of new ways to screw with the enemy's mind and often succeeding. On the plus side, he has a terrific sense of humour.

Samurai Kittacker: In a better time, Samurai Kittacker fought for honour and justice, serving as a pillar of morality to the few that knew her. Unfortunately, she came to realize that she was expected to hide behind her honour like a shield, pushing all the responsibility she might have had onto someone else. Sigma's offer was a breath of fresh air then. Samurai Kittacker still retains a sense of honour, but considers it pointless now. She has virtually no troops and must call X out to make him notice her--but the area she chose to occupy more than makes up for that.

Bomber Fernus: Disgruntled and out of work, Bomber Fernus only joined SU9 because there was nothing else to do and his efforts to facilitate greater plant life underground were busts. Sigma, however, found them intriguing and offered Bomber Fernus a job within his ranks. He pilots an ancient Ride Armour that he tosses explosives out of, trying to keep the gap between him and the enemy as large as possible. This is to compensate for his terrible combat capabilities.

Usagi Azide: It's not a good sign when you're known almost universally as "Unibomber II". Usagi Azide loves her high explosives, and she'd like to let everyone know; by the time Sigma whisked her away to fight in SU9, she'd racked up nearly two billion in property damage. There are rumours that she was based upon a well-known halver, Bombman, but they seem to be merely justification for her ways. Usagi Azide made no effort to endear herself to the other members of SU9, or any other Maverick for that matter.

Soaring Coccinellid: He was originally a librarian and enjoyed his peaceful life, until Sigma came along. Siggy didn't even have to infect him with the Maverick Virus (though, no one else in SU9 is either); all he had to do was threaten him. The poor ladybug-based Reploid is extremely timid and totally lacking in confidence of any kind, and only joined SU9 to avoid the unspecified consequences of refusal. When the time comes to finally fight X, Soaring Coccinellid breaks down and literally cries all over X, claiming that he was trying to secretly undermine Sigma and begged for forgiveness. There was no way X could kill him then.

Octilleran Artillery: She's a former Hunter, betrayed by her superiors. Back when Jesse was the leader, her unit was sent out to Antarctica to investigate a potential Maverick insurrection there. The other Hunters abruptly left her behind, and by the time Octilleran Artillery escaped that forzen wasteland, she was accused of being a Maverick and nearly sent back. Of all the Hunters, she hates X for his ideals, wondering how he can be so optimistic at times like these.

Grimoire le Rhinoc: He hails from the kingdom of Hyrule and considers all other nations beneath contempt. Grimoire le Rhinoc is practiced in "honest-to-God, no-[parasitic bomb] magic" and uses it to do nearly everything, leaving him somewhat inflexible. He asks to become a part of SU9 so that he can prove Hyrule's superiority, and Sigma gladly complies. As soon was he admitted, he claimed a sizable chunk of land as a colony of Hyrule and challenged the Hunters to reclaim it.

Lyre Seal: The youngest and smallest of SU9. Lyre Seal staged a raid on the Hunter base, thinking that it would allow him to prove his worth as a Reploid. X crushed said raid and confronted Lyre Seal; the two fought until he realized that SU9 had effectively left him to die. X pointed out that if he really wanted to prove himself, he'd become a Hunter. Weighing the options of returning to Sigma as a failure and getting his head blown off, Lyre Seal agreed.

*Jesse was the head of X's unit before his promotion; he's something of a Reploid McCarty.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #330 on: March 09, 2009, 05:34:14 AM
Very interesting story there.  Heh, love the Mavericks!

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #331 on: March 09, 2009, 07:28:50 AM
Very interesting Mavericks indeed, and lol at Win3.1 text file... XD
This storyline sounds so promising... :3

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #332 on: March 09, 2009, 01:38:04 PM
Interesting Mavericks. I like Lyre Seal. :3

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #333 on: March 09, 2009, 02:42:20 PM
Very intriguing designs, especially Octilleran Artillery

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #334 on: March 10, 2009, 04:18:54 AM

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #335 on: March 10, 2009, 04:54:47 AM
I knew she was in league with Ass-Chin!

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #336 on: March 10, 2009, 04:56:14 AM
Lol, who would've thought!  8)

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #337 on: March 10, 2009, 02:54:41 PM
Layer, no!!! Don't marry to that mean old baldy head guy! D:

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #338 on: March 12, 2009, 03:49:42 AM
She married him before X1, and didn't realize how dangerous Maverick Sigma was until the bodies started piling up.

Dweebsicle.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #339 on: March 12, 2009, 04:29:52 AM
Hahaha, that's one of the coolest things you've ever drawn!  XD

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #340 on: March 12, 2009, 03:03:52 PM
Thanks!

The Warminds.
Still begs the question...
Does Zero know? 8D

She married him before X1, and didn't realize how dangerous Maverick Sigma was until the bodies started piling up.

Dweebsicle.
I really love Freeze's expression there... XD

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #341 on: March 17, 2009, 04:08:14 AM
Still begs the question...
Does Zero know? 8D

Yeah, but he doesn't try to give her grief over it. He understands why she wouldn't think Sigma was that dangerous, not being with the Hunters (a.k.a the chew toys of the rebellion) at the time.

I'm hesitant to start a new thread over this, so here's a question: Why is it that every time a third party redesigns the Megaman characters, the fans go completely [tornado fang]ing apeshit? Few people like RS-Megaman because he no longer looks like jailbait he has muscles and a diamond solar helmet gem thing instead of a square. Almost no one likes Captain N Mega. I'm one of the two or so people who like the boxart Megas.

Is it because the fans care too damn much about canonocity? Do they find even the tiniest alteration insulting? (Though I haven't seen any along the lines of Castlevania Judgement's bombastic redesigns) The way I see it, it's overreacting; plus, a lot of the RS-MM/Captain N bashers discovered the show long after they originally aired (that was when being able to tell what the main character in a game really looked like was a big deal).

I dunno, maybe I'm just tired of people whining "I don't like RS-MM because he looks older". Come on, people, if Dr. Light didn't make him look 21, his neighbors would start wondering...

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #342 on: March 17, 2009, 02:26:10 PM
Fear of change, I suppose.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #343 on: March 17, 2009, 07:12:21 PM
Fair enough. It's a fairly irrational fear, though; I mean, it's unrealistic to assume that a third-party product will ALWAYS be exactly like the original (and were that the case, everything would be boring).

I don't feel like making witty captions today. Upload one, two, three, and four.

dA text for that last one (put in quotes this time):
Of the three school doodles I've uploaded, this one is probably the most ambiguous. See, I showed it to ~LordAizen and mentioned that I just KNEW how one of my male friends would interpret it as. She said it looked like post-buttsecks.

I asked her why, because it wasn't what I had in mind. Apparently, because "[Protoman's] in a good mood, [Megaman's] all 'what the [tornado fang]'," and that line of Proto's, it's post-buttsecks. She also thought Mega wasn't wearing anything, forcing me to point out his jumpsuit's neckline.

Me, I just thought Mega got clonked on the head or something and Proto brought him home, only removing his armour so Mega wouldn't wake up all stiff. >.>

Later, I asked her WHY they had buttsecks (being robots and all). Only answer I got was that "they [made] a good couple".

Sooo...

Yeah.

Photoshop sucks at inking.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #344 on: March 17, 2009, 07:14:11 PM
LoL, I can't imagine why they'd interpret it as post buttsex!  XD

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #345 on: March 17, 2009, 07:24:03 PM
I like the third one. Roll take out Rock's clothes because it hasn't been washed for days? That stinks.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #346 on: March 17, 2009, 11:13:25 PM

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #347 on: March 18, 2009, 04:44:12 AM

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #348 on: March 19, 2009, 12:23:03 AM
SUPER CAPTAIN N

Oh yes.

Now, I don't remember exactly how this came to be. It had to do with "What if the show survived into the SNES era", that much is certain. And reading Gauntlet's article on it again. It took most of the afternoon to complete (it's 5:49 P.M. as I type this) and I can safely say that I'm proud of it.

The original N-Team is still around, no worries; either they're patrolling another sector of Videoland or Mother Brain captured them. (Duke's part of this team, but kinda...forgot him. Yeah.) In the latter case, rescuing the original team would be the driving force behind SCN.

Kevin and Lana are more or less unchanged. Kevin has a new Power Pad (read: modded controller) based off of the SNES one; whether or not it functions similarly to the original remains to be seen. Lana got the original Zapper so she could properly defend herself (according to Gauntlet, she's kind of useless without it).

Kirby is a quiet big eater. He can inhale whatever isn't nailed down like a vacuum cleaner, spitting them out in a destructive concentration of energy. This, combined with his virtually nonexistent body weight, allows him to "fly" for a limited amount of time. That's really all I can say about Kirby. (He's white to match the original game's boxart; the orange shoes are a nod to his actual colour and so his palette wouldn't be blank)

Fox McCloud. The ace. He already belongs to another team and it's implied that he's only with Captain N to make some more money. For this reason, everyone keeps a close eye on him. Fox is an expert pilot but, strangely, a terrible driver. (Based on the boxart; could care less about the colours)

Samus Aran thought Mother Brain to be dead, inadvertently leaving her for the N-Team to deal with. Now Samus's back, and this time she'll finish the job. She's something of a deadpan snarker (helped by the fact that she leaves her helmet on at all times) and, like Fox, focuses more on her mission than on the team, though for entirely different reasons. (Kept more or less the same; that hand crystal serves as a tracker and "mirror" a la Mother Brain's, but with less range)

Megaman X, known simply as X to his creator and fellow Hunters (read: cops). He is strongly opposed to violence as a first solution, opting to try to negotiate instead. You can imagine how well this works against Mother Brain and her minions. (Removed his chest plates, since the sprite lacks them, and gave him the bottom and recolored half of the Light Armour. That's a joke; knowing CN's track record with accuracy, the writers/artists probably wouldn't make it past Chill Penguin's stage)

Everyone looks more accurate because by this time, players had MUCH better ideas of what the characters looked like and thus boxart/manual art was closer (when they didn't just cheat and use the Japanese art). So the CN staff would have to be blind or totally apathetic to be as far off with Super Captain N as they were with the original.

Oh, and they'd have to include Final Fantasy VI/III somehow. Mother Brain's "team" would still be around, but new big bads (like Kefka) would start vying for power, drawing her attention away from the N-team when said vying gets really bad.

Hurf. Cramps = bad.

I must make a mental note never to undertake pictures like this while on my period. Something I neglected to mention on dA: The "Super" part of the logo is a throwback to cheesy 90s neon.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #349 on: March 19, 2009, 04:30:56 AM
SUPER CAPTAIN N

I must make a mental note never to undertake pictures like this while on my period. Something I neglected to mention on dA: The "Super" part of the logo is a throwback to cheesy 90s neon.

I'd totally watch!  XD