Puyo Puyo Series

Rin · 1343

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
on: October 24, 2011, 03:45:15 AM
So there's a thread about Sonic, but not about Puyo Puyo?
Let's fix that shall we?

First for those who somehow don't know:

Puyo Puyo are series of puzzle games kinda similar to Tetris. You must match up the same colored "puyo", which are kinda like tetris blocks, except they look more jelly-like, to score points and beat your enemy.
Basically, if you've ever played "Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine", you have played the first Puyo Puyo game. How? Because Mean Bean Machine is just the first game, changed around a little to look like a Sonic related game. BECAUSE SONIC SELLS!

Now, if you have DS, you can try OBTAINING any of the Puyo Puyo games for it. Some of them are just in japanese, but for example, Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary and Puyo Puyo 7 have english patches made by folks from Puyo Nexus forum.
That is to say, you don't really need an english patch THAT much, especially since I can play PSP version of Puyo Puyo 7 (for example) on my PSP and not get confused much.
Basically, if you have a DS, PSP or Wii, then you can play any of the current generation Puyo Puyo games... except for Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary... because that one is currently for the DS only. Not for long though, since it's soon coming out for Wii, PSP and 3DS too I think. : D

So...
Let's talk some about this. Who are you favorite Puyo charas? What are you favorite types of Puyo games? (Fever? Endless Fever? Henshin?)

And stuff like that.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 03:50:09 AM
I was wondering when this topic was going to get posted.

.. Honestly, the series is a great venture. The characters are fun, stories are amusing and the art is amazing. Especially when I found out that Mean Bean was an edit of a lovable game.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:04:33 AM
Puuo puyo 20th anniversary on PSP is just simply great.
Also, I'm disappoint RPM. Only me and Gaia show any interest in this series? REALLY?
: <

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 06:20:18 PM
I had Kirby's Avalanche. That was just a reskinned Puyo Puyo anyways.

And yes, good puzzle games. Always enjoyed 'em myself. :3

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 08:51:22 PM
I tried. Many times. But no matter which game I try, and how many tutorials I play, I'm absolutely unable to play Puyo Puyo.

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 04:17:50 AM
I've dug some into the Puyo Puyo series. I've played the Madou Monogatari game before(A prequel of sorts to the puyo puyo games in that it explains a lot of the story and is chronologically taken place before the others). It was ok, but I never played too much of it.

The puzzle game's concept is fun, but I can get so terribly aggravated at some of the opponent's actions.