Nintendo Releases New Wii U Details: PB is Pleased

Protoman Blues · 50651

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #225 on: August 30, 2013, 01:56:07 PM
It's silly, either way.  They should have stuffed the biggest battery they could fit into that thing instead of shipping the gamepad with such a pathetic battery life.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #226 on: September 01, 2013, 12:19:49 AM
Eh, it's because the first run of the devkits had a different controller that was smaller. Also suckier.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #227 on: September 02, 2013, 07:41:53 AM
I don't mind the Game Pad's battery so much because of the fact that it has a dock (and a considerably better one than the 3DS in that gravity keeps the contacts in place), so it's always charging when not in use.

I mean, it sucks for the three people who got a Basic, but yeah.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #228 on: October 01, 2013, 05:12:10 AM
So the "Summer" Firmware update came out today... and it's sort of terrible. Its basically a bunch of Wii Mode improvements, the biggest ones being proper surround sound support (which doesn't matter since the Wii never had Surround capabilities but its probably so stuff doesn't [tornado fang] up on a surround system.) and OFF-TV PLAY FOR YOUR WII GAMES, but you can't use the gamepad for those so you gotta use a Wiimote anyway. Oh well.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #229 on: October 01, 2013, 05:26:05 AM
Yeah, kinda dumb unless you have a stand for your Gamepad. Playing with it in your lap would probably be really uncomfortable. Obviously you need a Wiimote for games that require Wiimote and/or Nunchuk in the first place. But being able to use the Gamepad as a Classic Controller or a Gamecube Controller would be a nice addition.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #230 on: October 01, 2013, 06:34:16 AM
Oh, the load times in the Wii U Menu have been vastly improved.

The eShop has a little minigame to play while it loads (Its the game from SMB3 where you have to get the picture in order, but with VC games instead of a Mushroom, Flower or Star, I can't expect to actually finish a game though since loading doesn't take too long.) I've heard Miiverse got one too.

The VC games on the Wii now go to the proper aspect ratio instead of stretching to the screen.

And I must say, Xenoblade looks wonderful on the smaller screen.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #231 on: October 01, 2013, 08:53:51 PM
@Nintendo Direct

FIRE FLOWER PRINCESS PEACH AND HOTROD BOWSER

That is all.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #232 on: October 01, 2013, 09:07:50 PM
We've known about Peach with the fireflower for a while, but Bowser's hotrod is new.

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #233 on: October 01, 2013, 09:16:44 PM
They need to release an update eventually that lets the Gamepad operate as a Classic or Gamecube controller for Wii games. THEN it'd be perfect. The screen's a bit too small to reliably use a Wiimote, though, even despite the Gamepad having a sensor bar for you to use. You can use Classic Controllers if you've got them hooked up, too.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #234 on: October 02, 2013, 01:38:08 AM
Yeah, I agree.  I mean, Classic minimum.  GCN might be simpler in terms of managing control inputs, but the problem is that its right stick can't navigate the Wii menu (although why in the crap Nintendo couldn't ever update the system to allow such is beyond me).

EDITS: Other needed improvement: If you're going to AT ALL allow off-TV Wii mode play, you should be able to get to Wii mode while off-TV.  The WiiU menu still requires you point your remote at the TV, and not the GamePad, before starting the Wii menu.

Still, I am glad to see off-TV Wii mode play.  They're getting there.

The VC games on the Wii now go to the proper aspect ratio instead of stretching to the screen.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #235 on: January 23, 2014, 04:49:17 PM
Guess this is just the general Wii U news thread then? Yeah? Cool.

Nintendo put up the official Japanese website for DKC: Tropical Freeze, and with it comes some soundtrack samples. And as we already know, Dave Wise is doing the entire soundtrack for this.

You can either check out a YouTube video with all the songs or listen individually below:

Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4 (holy crap!)
Track 5

I think he still has it; these are amazing. I knew I was right to be excitebike about the soundtrack :3

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #236 on: January 26, 2014, 03:47:52 AM
You know, since the last time I posted in this thread, I took notice that statement holds true not only for VC games, but also the few early Wii-native games where the devs were too lazy to add a widescreen mode (IE: Mario Party 8).

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #237 on: January 26, 2014, 05:18:16 AM
You know, since the last time I posted in this thread, I took notice that statement holds true not only for VC games, but also the few early Wii-native games where the devs were too lazy to add a widescreen mode (IE: Mario Party 8 ).

That so? That's nifty as hell.

I've noticed one bug though, seems injected VC games don't follow that protocol (Example: Sailor Moon Another Story stretches to the screen.) and Homebrew Browser goes into 4:3 squished mode too.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #238 on: January 26, 2014, 05:39:39 AM
There's actually a fix for the squished mode, you just have to install the channel.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #239 on: January 26, 2014, 05:47:26 AM
I run it from the installed channel.

The only times it comes in unsquished is if I go through the installation process.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #240 on: January 26, 2014, 06:17:45 AM
It's a channel forwarder that runs the normal Homebrew Channel. Just not squished.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #241 on: January 26, 2014, 05:29:19 PM
You know, I have no intention of transferring my Wii's homebrew stuff to the Wii U.  Seems like too much of a hassle for no benefit.  I'll just hang on to the Wii since I use it as a Gamecube anyway.

The Other Side

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #242 on: January 26, 2014, 09:59:06 PM
I actually did transfer that stuff to my Wii U. Did a NAND backup before hand, then transferred, and then restored the NAND on my Wii so everything would still be on my Wii.

Though I'd prefer to be able to use the Gamepad's buttons, it's nice to be able to play GBA ROMs and stuff on the Gamepad's screen so I don't have to go through the hassle of hooking up my Wii again whenever I want to do that.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #243 on: January 26, 2014, 10:15:10 PM
...Why the hell didn't I think of doing a NAND backup to copy everything back to the Wii afterward?  Good thinking, Mirby.

The Other Side

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #244 on: January 26, 2014, 10:26:12 PM
I just got my hands on a Wii, but I need to get a Wii Remote to use it. I wish I could just use my USB controller or Gamecube Controller to navigate to the Menu. Almost all homebrew can use the Gamecube Controller.

Then again, I'm gonna need a Motion Plus Remote for Skyward Sword, anyway. And I need to replace the Battery tray. So I'm just gonna buy a refurbished Wii Remote Plus w/ Nunchuck and the Battery Tray from Nintendo.

https://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&langId=-1&currency=USD&ignoreCrumbs=N&crumb1=&crumb1Ignore=&crumb2=&crumb2Ignore=&crumb3=&crumb3Ignore=&translateFrom=%C3%88%C3%89%C3%87&translateTo=EEC&usrSearchText=&searchText=&selSrchType=&page=&view=&productId=211209&categoryId=70706&lastAction=ProductDisplay&orderTotal=&tranId=0&jktranid=&rpComment=&dropOff=

And just in case someone is looking for a "cheap" 3DS.
https://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=211214&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=70706&krypto=GrjJmjV7%2Fh%2BLquzlLeEgC0pM7E9p4HRUPrBBk5noDOUhysvG4h%2BRIMfOJ2hjwRRRKRVvdQqs1rg%3D&ddkey=https:SetCurrencyPreference

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #245 on: January 27, 2014, 12:57:33 PM
I didn't even know if it would work, I kinda winged it haha

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #246 on: January 30, 2014, 03:41:17 AM
I er.... what?

The final Boxart for MK8 looks cool as hell, but they should really be focusing on getting the Virtual Console up to speed right now, not trying to add more [tornado fang]ing systems to the pipeline!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #247 on: January 30, 2014, 05:19:43 AM
I don't think the QOL thing is a traditional console, per se. Plus if anything, Virtual Console should be taking a backseat to making the system actually worthy of buying, which they're planning on doing. They're going to make the NNIDs more universal, realizing that having different accounts per system ruined [parasitic bomb]. They're going to work on better integration of the GamePad into newer games, including the inherent NFC capabilities of the controller, revealing several games that will use that at E3.

And they're also bringing DS games to Wii U Virtual Console.

Plus Iwata was speaking about Nintendo corporate first, NoA and NoE likely are secondary priority. The Virtual Console's doing fantastic there, it's just us who get [tornado fang]'d over. Got a problem with that, take it up with NoA.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #248 on: January 30, 2014, 05:26:25 AM
Apparently, this is old, but I've been keeping track of this thread and don't recall seeing it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOq4IiuRMWk[/youtube]

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #249 on: January 30, 2014, 05:33:26 AM
Plus Iwata was speaking about Nintendo corporate first, NoA and NoE likely are secondary priority. The Virtual Console's doing fantastic there, it's just us who get [tornado fang]'d over. Got a problem with that, take it up with NoA.

Actually I hear its slow everywhere, Europe's been getting better treatment in the VC department than the US in terms of games released but even they don't go beyond one game a week at most.

And honestly, lots of people complain to NoA about the VC being a [tornado fang]ing dripfeed where we potentially get screwed out of games for months or years due to the release schedule either being so slow, they twiddle their thumbs and [acid burst] people off and don't change a damn thing for no damn reason. I'm alright with it not being the main thing of importance but they should at least pretend to care and keep older games flowing at a brisker pace.