Klavier Gavin · 14304

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #75 on: June 26, 2010, 02:16:39 AM

1. Console games being officially emulated on handhelds is something Nintendo was already doing back on GBA.

2. He said "legally imported".  Exactly where do you think they'd be imported from?  He's talking about cross-functionality between Wii and 3DS for Virtual Console titles.

On the latter point, as awesome as that would be, I wouldn't get my hopes up.  Nintendo hasn't been into solutions for transferring downloaded content between systems, and I haven't seen reason to believe that would change.  Further, as Reggie himself said, classic games on 3DS are expected to utilize the 3DS system capabilities, so the straight emulation of the VC is probably not all there is to it.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: June 26, 2010, 02:40:36 AM

1. Console games being officially emulated on handhelds is something Nintendo was already doing back on GBA.

2. He said "legally imported".  Exactly where do you think they'd be imported from?  He's talking about cross-functionality between Wii and 3DS for Virtual Console titles.

On the latter point, as awesome as that would be, I wouldn't get my hopes up.  Nintendo hasn't been into solutions for transferring downloaded content between systems, and I haven't seen reason to believe that would change.  Further, as Reggie himself said, classic games on 3DS are expected to utilize the 3DS system capabilities, so the straight emulation of the VC is probably not all there is to it.

1- Not in a VC format, which is what we're discussing.
2- An "import" is something material which is brought from another country. VC titles do not fit into that standard. I was asking him to explain. As far as it isn't against the law, anything can be "imported", but it has to be brought from another country. Buying downloadable Hanabi Festival software online doesn't count as an "import". He never mentioned anything about cross-functionality.

Let the guy reply for himself.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: June 26, 2010, 02:52:09 AM
1- Not in a VC format, which is what we're discussing.
NO game has been brought to a handheld in VC format, thus the nature of the game in discussing a hypothetical handheld VC is irrelevant.  By that logic you just invalidated this entire line of discussion.

2- An "import" is something material which is brought from another country. VC titles do not fit into that standard. I was asking him to explain. As far as it isn't against the law, anything can be "imported", but it has to be brought from another country. Buying downloadable Hanabi Festival software online doesn't count as an "import". He never mentioned anything about cross-functionality.
Boy, we have a real battle of wits going on here.

Get equipped with: Dictionary

im·port
to bring in (merchandise, commodities, workers, etc.) from a foreign country for use, sale, processing, reexport, or services.
to bring or introduce from one use, connection, or relation into another: foreign bodies imported into the blood; foodstuffs imported from the farm.

Most people around here have heard the term "import" in that context (that is, application; not region) applied to data (Fire Emblem and Pokemon come to mind).  You are clearly not nerdy enough.

Let the guy reply for himself.
I'm in no way forbidding him from doing so.  But if you want to discourage chime-ins from a third party, it would help if you could ask questions that weren't ludicrously obvious.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: June 26, 2010, 04:37:53 AM
NO game has been brought to a handheld in VC format, thus the nature of the game in discussing a hypothetical handheld VC is irrelevant.  By that logic you just invalidated this entire line of discussion.
Boy, we have a real battle of wits going on here.
Oh really? Let's take a look at the post he was replying to.

Hm. That would certainly be interesting. If such GBA VC does get made, I would love to see the games support the 3D effects. Playin' Golden Sun, Pokemon, Metroid Fusion, and other GBA games in 3D would be uberly awesome.
Oh, yeah. Considering he was originally replying in context to a hypothetical GBA VC, discussing a hypothetical handheld VC is irrelevant. Boy, I've surely invalidated my whole line of discussion now, haven't I?

Get equipped with: Dictionary

im·port
to bring in (merchandise, commodities, workers, etc.) from a foreign country for use, sale, processing, reexport, or services.
to bring or introduce from one use, connection, or relation into another: foreign bodies imported into the blood; foodstuffs imported from the farm.

Most people around here have heard the term "import" in that context (that is, application; not region) applied to data (Fire Emblem and Pokemon come to mind).  You are clearly not nerdy enough.
Because as we all know, that matters a whole [tornado fang]ing lot when buying old japanese software in an online store. By your logic, we could pretty much count every single game made in another country of the world as "importing", as long as the original software wasn't made in the country the person obtained it in. He was talking about "legally importing", and as far as I know, I don't say I'm "legally importing" a game everytime I buy it at the store. The word might have that meaning, but its clear use here wasn't the one you're implying. If he meant it as the VC Hanabi Festival title, although it's not importing, it might be perceived as such, as it's a title that was only released in its cart-based form in Japan. That's what I'm trying to find. From HIM.

I'm in no way forbidding him from doing so.  But if you want to discourage chime-ins from a third party, it would help if you could ask questions that weren't ludicrously obvious.
Next time, pay more attention to the original post he's referring to and don't say [parasitic bomb] like "that invalidates your whole line of logic" in some kind of effort to humiliate. Makes you sound like a whiny brat on a power trip.

Anyway, as I was originally saying, I'm asking geekgo4 on what he means by that, and not your conspiracy theories. So please, if you will, [tornado fang] off.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: June 26, 2010, 07:11:25 AM
Pulseman's on VC already. You talking about portable VC for the 3DS? Be CLEAR on what you're saying.
I knew I didn't say that right. I was trying to say that hopefully, Nintendo will release more games that never left Japan here in the West, like Pulseman(It didn't get release in the States, really). And I would want a Game Boy/GBC/GBA on the 3DS. A Vitural HANDHELD! I was trying to say that why just start on the Game Boy chain? Why not Game Gear, Wonderswan, and NGPC, as well?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #80 on: June 26, 2010, 07:17:15 AM
Oh, I see. He wants a VC for 3DS (and DSi) with games from once-rival software a la the VC for Wii.

I heartily endorse this idea. Especially the Wonderswan ports.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: June 26, 2010, 11:09:14 AM
I knew I didn't say that right. I was trying to say that hopefully, Nintendo will release more games that never left Japan here in the West, like Pulseman(It didn't get release in the States, really). And I would want a Game Boy/GBC/GBA on the 3DS. A Vitural HANDHELD! I was trying to say that why just start on the Game Boy chain? Why not Game Gear, Wonderswan, and NGPC, as well?
THANK YOU. Now that was well understood, at least.

Pulseman did get released in the States, but only through Sega Channel.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: June 27, 2010, 05:28:17 AM
I kinda figured the "competing handhelds" thing would be a given, seeings how the Wii's VC has had it since launch day (ah, counting the weeks 'till Toejam & Earl, fun memories...).

With how much Nintendo dominated the handheld industry, I don't know how much popularity such games would carry, but it's not a bad idea.  I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Rockman & Forte WS, although the odds of Capcom taking the time to localize that are probably nill.  

[spoiler=the Flash tangent]
Considering he was originally replying in context to a hypothetical GBA VC, discussing a hypothetical handheld VC is irrelevant. Boy, I've surely invalidated my whole line of discussion now, haven't I?
Flash, when somebody says "By that logic..." followed by a ridiculous example, they usually mean that they do not hold such logic to be valid.  No offense, but you need to talk to people more often.

To clarify: I got the notion from this post that you find something wrong with a console game appearing on a handheld VC.  What I meant was that I see no basis to such a denial.  The "Virtual Console" is merely a brand name, the concept is simply official emulation of one system on another in a digital download package.  None of that mandates that a console game cannot appear on a handheld, assuming the VC format itself is to appear on a handheld.

Because as we all know, that matters a whole [tornado fang]ing lot when buying old japanese software in an online store.
So exactly what way is country of origin relevant to "foreign bodies imported into the blood"?  When one posts multiple definitions of a word and bolds one of them, it's usually because they wish to bring your attention to the bolded one.  You majorly misunderstood me there.

The term "import" when applied to data may be synonymous with "migrate."  As in saved data owned by a single individual being transferred between two different games, devices, etc.  ie: "How do you import GBA Pokemon to the DS games?"  So when somebody in discussing a handheld VC uses the term "legal import" when referring to a game which you have confirmed already exists on the console VC, I take that to refer to migrating one's Virtual Console purchase from the Wii to the 3DS, as I previously discussed.  Hence, "legal imports" as opposed to "illegal", which for video games in this day and age most commonly refers to software piracy.  I'm not exactly sure how one illegally imports a game cartridge.

Regardless, your misunderstanding is no big loss.  In light of Geekgo's response I seem to be on the wrong track myself, thus this discussion doesn't mean much of anything.

if you will, [tornado fang] off.
Way to bust out the Jedi mind tricks, dude.[/spoiler]

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #83 on: June 27, 2010, 06:12:28 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y[/youtube]

Short Version

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: June 27, 2010, 07:40:48 PM

Now, Vixy.  You can't just cut off every tangent by posting an off-site joke and... o~O Wait a minute!

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: June 27, 2010, 08:11:44 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y[/youtube]

Short Version

<3 you darling!

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: June 27, 2010, 08:35:55 PM
(Derivative bullshit that strays away from the fact that I was right)
8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: June 28, 2010, 12:53:32 AM
Anyone ever tell you that you can be an amazingly good sport when you're trying not to be?  ;)

You know, something that didn't occur to me earlier:

"The list of games in this collection included Mario Bros., Tennis, Super Mario Bros. The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Musasame, Punch-Out!!, Excitebike, NES Open Golf, Twin Bee, Super Mario World, Kirby's Adventure, Mega Man 2, Castlevania, Urban Champ, Kid Icarus, Yoshi's Island, and Smash Ping Pong."

Final Bowser in 3D = DO F*@#ING WANT.  Imagine what it'd be like for that background-aiming cursor to actually be usable.  I don't know if they'd go so deep as to position it midway through Yoshi's throwing arc, but if they did, it would be damn awesome.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: June 28, 2010, 02:07:41 AM
Anyone ever tell you that you can be an amazingly good sport when you're trying not to be?  ;)
Thank you. And you can be incredibly non-annoying when I actively ignore you. I think we're on to something here!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: June 28, 2010, 02:33:30 AM
I believe the club of people who are not annoying when ignored is called "Everybody."  They meet at the bar.

Well, if it worked for Neko, it ought to work for you.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: June 28, 2010, 03:02:53 AM
I believe the club of people who are not annoying when ignored is called "Everybody."  They meet at the bar.

Well, if it worked for Neko, it ought to work for you.
But the bar's my turf. ;_; How can I avoid this "everybody"?

And who is Neko? Besides some weeaboo who thought it'd be so smart to have the japanese word for "cat" as his internet nickname, same as other five thousand people.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #91 on: June 28, 2010, 04:03:49 AM
I think he meant Neku, the kid from TWEWY.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: June 28, 2010, 04:08:15 AM
I think he meant Neku, the kid from TWEWY.
He was an emo [sonic slicer] and he grew to be a total pimp with a friend and a girlfriend by the end. How's that related to avoiding people who annoy you?

And DANG, we're veering off-topic here. Hm... I'd like to see Punch-Out!! in 3D. One of those 8-bit games that really deserves effects to show Mac being knocked out of the screen. =P

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #93 on: June 28, 2010, 04:09:39 AM
I'm not sure... but he was ignoring everyone at the start...

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: June 28, 2010, 04:11:58 AM
I'm not sure... but he was ignoring everyone at the start...
Which was the bad thing in the first place. Then he got bros and became a total pimp. An anorexic pimp, but still a pimp.

Offline Kit

• #1 wizard of disappearing
  • Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #95 on: June 28, 2010, 06:12:28 AM
Hey if there is an argument in here I don't give a [parasitic bomb].

I'm flying to Japan and humping the Nintendo building.

they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #96 on: June 28, 2010, 06:17:58 AM
Can I join? :D

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: June 28, 2010, 06:26:04 AM

And that's why we all love you. 8D

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: June 28, 2010, 12:20:37 PM

Now there's a good idea. You think our pelvic thrusts combined would be enough to break open the wall of the spot where they keep the 3DSes?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: June 28, 2010, 12:27:59 PM
Now there's a good idea. You think our pelvic thrusts combined would be enough to break open the wall of the spot where they keep the 3DSes?

Not if the vault is made of Nintendium.