Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 262604

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Sonic the Hedgehog 3D Classics-style port coming to Japan next week

3D Sonic the Hedgehog is a port with a few modern tweaks. You can spin dash just like in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sega added save states. Want to play the original game? There’s an option to turn spin dashes off and remap the buttons. Sonic maniacs might appreciate being able to switch between the Japanese release and International version to see minor differences when it comes to bonuses. You can even choose the sound emulation based on the Sega Genesis or the Sega Genesis model 2.

One other neat feature is you can switch between normal mode and a faux CRT classic mode (those old TVs with the screen bulged out). 3D graphics can be set to depth or zoom.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
That's the goofiest port ever.

I love the little visual quirks you can set though, Sega really does put a bit of love into their 3DS Ports, too bad we'll probably not see it on the US eShop for a long time (Like any new Game Gear VC games, or the 3D Classics Super Hang-On or Space Harrier.)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I'm wondering if the CRT classic mode really is blurry like the screen shows. I know that's how the TVs were, but it would still be a terrible move on their part.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Why? I actually think that would be better if that allowed the Faux-Transparency effects like the waterfalls in GHZ or even the ripples on the water of Labyrinth to be rendered properly.

The Mega Drive is one of those systems that I cannot stand to play in "Pixel-perfect" graphics simply because of how much they abused the blurriness of CRT to simulate transparency.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Because of the 3D effect, which is the preferred way to play it.

Blurriness + 3D = eye strain. Well, 3D blurriness hurts my eyes at least.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
So much play-testing to do once it shows up next week. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Because of the 3D effect, which is the preferred way to play it.

Blurriness + 3D = eye strain. Well, 3D blurriness hurts my eyes at least.
I imagine that's why both it and the 3D mode are presented as options.

Isn't this the first "16-bit" 3D Classics game to be released?  I'd just about buy it on those grounds alone.  Funny to see Sega of all people pushing a level of presentation that everyone else gave up on.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Space Harrier was first.

And that one is currently Japan only, so yeah.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Damn.  I'd actually be MORE interested in that, since I don't already own it...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I imagine that's why both it and the 3D mode are presented as options.

Well, call me picky but seeing it in 3D would be much more impressive. I hate that I'd have to settle for 2D.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
...Really, unless it's a 3D game, in which depth perception is actually helpful, 3D is a useless gimmick.  All it does is make the image pop out of the screen a little bit, and I can't imagine Sega is going to put forth a lot of effort to make it look good, because we're talking about yet another port of a game that has been re-released half a dozen times already.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Not to mention a better port is on its way to iOS and Android.

If you've played Sonic 1 once, you've played it a million times, but I hear this is M2 doing the port (They made the great Vintage collections on 360 and PS3)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
...Really, unless it's a 3D game, in which depth perception is actually helpful, 3D is a useless gimmick.
...your point is what?  It looks pretty.  It doesn't NEED to be anything more than that.  Not every game can be Super Mario 3D Land.

Not to mention a better port is on its way to iOS and Android.
Ah, the old "they're the same damn game but you obviously should own it on this system" discussions, how I miss those.  Personally I don't care much unless I find out Tails is in the iOS/Android STH1.

And if he is, then I'll curse the fact that I don't own either device.... -_-

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I think you should do at least one video of Ace Attorney 5 when it releases.

These are great.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Testing out your new PC's screen capture capabilities? The footages looks good and the frame-rate is smooth.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
I like how the framerate is a nice 60fps.

You don't see that often in video.

Posted on: May 17, 2013, 08:14:51 PM
Nintendo is making Streetpass better for us Not-Japanese people.

Moving on to a different topic, the Nintendo 3DS hardware incorporates a feature known as StreetPass.
When the Nintendo 3DS system is in Sleep Mode, this feature allows users who are playing any StreetPass-compatible game to automatically exchange game data with other users in close proximity who are also playing the same game.
StreetPass is very common in crowded Japan. In contrast, our American and European users seem to meet each other via StreetPass less frequently, and as a result, we have not seen a significant rise in the number of people who carry their Nintendo 3DS systems in Sleep Mode. When compared with our Japanese users, it seems that fewer people are experiencing the StreetPass feature on a daily basis.
This year we will release software that opens doors for new ways to play through the StreetPass feature, such as “Animal Crossing: New Leaf,” and I hope that more people around the world will be able to experience the benefits that StreetPass provides.

We will achieve that by taking advantage of Wi-Fi access points and implementing a StreetPass relay feature into the Nintendo 3DS hardware.
Starbucks and McDonald’s, among others, provide about 28,000 Wi-Fi access points, which are connected automatically to Nintendo 3DS, in the U.S. and 24,000 in Europe.
We are going to perform a system update that introduces a framework that uses these access points as StreetPass relay stations by this autumn.
This will involve taking a Nintendo 3DS system in Sleep Mode to an access point which will then connect automatically and send StreetPass data to a server. At the same time, the Nintendo 3DS system also receives the StreetPass data of another user from the server. In this setting, data is not exchanged directly, but rather through a StreetPass relay station. Hence, as opposed to, say, Person A and Person B directly exchanging game data, data will be transmitted in sequence from Person A to Person B, and then onto Person C and so on.
But the surprising and magical feeling of exchanging data with someone you simply shared a location with is as real as before.
Previously the StreetPass feature required multiple Nintendo 3DS systems in Sleep Mode to be in the same location at the same time, but in this framework, you can exchange data with others by visiting the same location even at a different time, so we can certainly expect the use rate of the StreetPass feature to grow significantly.

I'm seriously surprised that Nintendo is changing it after they apparently insisted that it was fine for two years.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
That is certainly an improvement.

Although I still can't imagine many folks carrying a 3DS and turning on the Wi-Fi connection at locations like those where I live. If I want to StreetPass people, I'll just go to conventions like Comic Con and the like.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
My Wi-Fi is always on and I assume most people have it on all the time.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I turn off the Wi-Fi when I'm done using the 3DS for the day. And even when I have the 3DS on, I don't always have the Wi-Fi on.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
i always have it on

just because why not

also it's not like you'll have to manually connect; with the system update it'll read those hotspots as streetpasses, that's all.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I don't really care about StreetPass in any way, shape or form, so I save my battery by keeping wireless turned off.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
I love StreetPasses. I carry my 3DS with me at all times when I go into the city or on a trip, just so I can get them. Hell, I brought it with me to Disney World and got lots of people from different countries. It was awesome.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I just want the rest of those frikkin' Puzzle Swap panels.  When you're not in a big city and/or at Comic Con, those pink pieces are damn near impossible to find...

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I just want the rest of those frikkin' Puzzle Swap panels.  When you're not in a big city and/or at Comic Con, those pink pieces are damn near impossible to find...

This pretty much.

I freaking love looking at my finished puzzles like Twilight Princess, Kirby and Galaxy. They're so crisp and detailed.

I really want to see the completed puzzles that have those damn pink pieces.