Sakura Leic · 2817399

Offline Sky

• massive idiot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • for kids
    • View Profile
    • art blog
Reply #6900 on: November 22, 2009, 02:33:35 AM
"TF2 only costs $10 bucks here? Wow, never thought I'd find something that cheap in Canada, especially a game."
just wait for it to go on sale on steam

i know someone who got it for like $5

squemp

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #6901 on: November 22, 2009, 02:57:14 AM
Oddly enough despite my earlier post on hot bloodedness, after watching a scene of Gurren Lagann and viewing a Super Saiyan 2 Gohan vs. Cell amv I feel hot blooded now....but I will be depressed later.

I just feel the need to throw this point out there. And please, let this be the last - or one of the last - words on this trite and reviled subject.

Stephanie Meyer is not a good writer. Just open any of her books at any page and, within moments, you will see that. So why is she so successful? One simple reason:

She has a winning formula.

Back in the Good Old Days, vampires were monsters. Go back to Slavic folklore, for example, or Bram Stoker's hallmark novel Dracula; they were creatures to be feared and loathed. Even though Count Dracula was a stylish aristocrat - especially as portrayed by a one Mr. Bela Lugosi - he was also a wicked being, an evil man who used other people for his own selfish purposes. Skip forward a few decades to the Anne Rice era. Suddenly, vampires are not the scary, brooding, haemophiliac demons they once were. Why? Well, obviously Ms. Rice took the "style" portion from Count Dracula's "stylish villainy" and transformed that into a romantic anti-hero in the form of Lestat. Vampires were no longer monsters or demons; they were attractive, seductive and misunderstood misanthropes. Female readers swooned. Vampires began to lose credibility. The "goth" subculture/social clique, in particular, were fascinated by this concept - a handsome, sophisticated and elegant, yet socially shunned and feared Casanova! The kind of character they could admire and adore. The trend continued. Gradually, it seemed, the idea of a monstrous and evil vampire was fading.

Now look to Stephanie Meyer's work. She obviously understood - and, presumably, still understands - why these "new-age" vampires are so admirable and beloved, especially by gothic literature enthusiasts and teenage girls. She is not only taking advantage of this fascination with the romantic vampire (whether her work is plagiarism or not is left to one's own opinion), she is taking advantage of her target demograph. Now, I don't like generalising. But it would not be much of a stretch to say that "tweenage" girls are, more often than not, not very well gifted with the faculty of good judgement (there are exceptions, of course, and I don't mean to offend anyone; but that is another argument entirely). They see a book that promises angsty teenage romance, and they lap it up. Throw in a vampire or two - or however many there are in these god-forsaken atrocities upon the literary scene - for that eerie supernatural edge, and you have yourself one winning formula to go. As for why these vampires - and I use the term loosely - are scarcely anything like Mr. Stoker's eponymous antagonist or the vampires of old Slavic folklore...well, these books are still aimed at tweenage girls. And we can't have shadowy-dwelling demons ripping young maidens' throats out and feasting on their fresh virgin blood in such a book, now, can we? At least, Stephanie Meyer seems to think so; Darren Shan would like to point out that you can still have proper, scary vampires in a children's book and be a big success. But I digress. Meyer, instead, chose to make them brooding, anti-social loners, albeit incredibly handsome ones. This gives them that "mysterious" edge that these young ladies tend to fawn over. It also lends itself to a "plot" (and, again, I use the term loosely) point, when our young protagonist finds out that the object of her affections is, in fact, a vampire! Gasp! Oh, and as for the sparkles; quite simple, really. First of all, having the heroes shrivel up and decay into dust and bone in the sunlight would not only be rather gruesome for young ladies, it would also raise the problem of finding one's paramour in a pile of dust because of shoddy window blinds. Not to mention the fact that it would lead to some rather awkward situations of not being able to go out during midday. And, secondly, what do tweenage girls love? That's right, sparkly things! It's a winning formula - plus one! Huzzah!

Perhaps if Meyer could tell a good story, her series wouldn't be so reviled by just about everyone outside its targeted demograph of young girls. But wait! Stop the presses! According to this writer's mother, who is an avid reader and knows very well what it takes to make a good book, Stephanie Meyer has written a good book - The Host! Gasp! So what's stopping her from making the Twilight series actually a decent read instead of fireplace fodder for cold Winter nights? The answer is, of course, two things: rabid fans and vampires. Those God damned vampires ruin everything.

So, to sum up this entire argument...

Don't blame Stephanie Meyer for unleashing this evil upon us, at least not her alone: blame Anne Rice, rabid fans and inexperienced movie directors! But then, of course, one must consider that Stephanie Meyer is likely just writing with her "winning formula" because she knows it will make a quick buck - from books, movies, promotional merchandise, and so forth.

Oh dear.

Good Insight.  :o

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6902 on: November 22, 2009, 03:51:23 AM
So what your saying ia, we leave Stephine Meyer be, but everyone else involved in making this monster die? If so then I saywe proceed with plan BBS.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #6903 on: November 22, 2009, 12:35:06 PM
Eventually, this whole mess will just putter out and die a slow, painful death. Remember when Harry Potter was The Cool Thing? Now it's just, "oh, cool, there's a new movie coming out, you want to watch it?".

It may take a while, but Stephanie Meyer will eventually run out of ideas to cash in on and - maybe, just maybe - decide to tell a decent, original story.

Or this abomination could go on for years and we just learn to live with the zombified legions of tweenage fans.

Archer

Reply #6904 on: November 22, 2009, 12:49:23 PM
Remember when Harry Potter was The Cool Thing? Now it's just, "oh, cool, there's a new movie coming out, you want to watch it?".
Yeah, because the books finished.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #6905 on: November 22, 2009, 12:59:57 PM
Who's to say that's what's responsible for its falling interests? The Twilight books are finished. Meyer herself said she, more than likely, has no intentions of writing another book - at least not in this series.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #6906 on: November 22, 2009, 04:09:11 PM
Man, it is like a game barely comes out and already there is fanart of said game or maybe I am behind the times realizing too late that there a game out. For some reason, I feel ike going on a massive final fantasy marathon, I think I will play the game today and I will play it for hours.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6907 on: November 22, 2009, 10:37:05 PM
REMEMBER, always level up the black mage, forget fighters and whatnot, black mage compells you! DIE! Whoops, wrong qoute, you know what I mean.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #6908 on: November 23, 2009, 05:44:07 AM
Oh wow, Just watched the Bum Review for New Moon, I lol'ed. He said it wasn't as bad as the first one. 8D

Offline Blaze Yeager

• The Loremaster
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "To win is to lose, to lose is to win."
    • View Profile
    • Suikatei Blog
Reply #6909 on: November 23, 2009, 05:45:10 AM
"I Wonder When Vixy will put my fangame up on the main page..."

Into Darkness, into the Abyss. Where only anathema exists.
| https://twitter.com/BlazeMcPhearson |

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #6910 on: November 23, 2009, 05:49:50 AM
i wonder when you'll shut the [tornado fang] up about what vixy should or shouldn't do.

seriously, it's her site. let her [tornado fang] with it how she pleases.

Offline Blaze Yeager

• The Loremaster
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Suikatei Blog
Reply #6911 on: November 23, 2009, 05:52:31 AM
i wonder when you'll shut the [tornado fang] up about what vixy should or shouldn't do.

seriously, it's her site. let her [tornado fang] with it how she pleases.
Wait....She Runs The site?
Well i Thought it was ProtomanBlues.....

Back on Topic:
"Humans:Inferior,Soundwave:Superior"

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #6912 on: November 23, 2009, 05:58:49 AM
Wait, fangame? you mean your RM7FC mod?

Offline Blaze Yeager

• The Loremaster
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Suikatei Blog
Reply #6913 on: November 23, 2009, 05:59:57 AM
Wait, fangame? you mean your RM7FC mod?
No,My Fangame "Megaman:A New Chapter"

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #6914 on: November 23, 2009, 06:01:16 AM
Hmm... never heard of it..

Offline Wanda Bear

• The Wanderess of RPM
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Currently Nowhere.
    • View Profile
Reply #6915 on: November 23, 2009, 06:02:20 AM
Wait....She Runs The site?
Well i Thought it was ProtomanBlues.....

Back on Topic:
"Humans:Inferior,Soundwave:Superior"
I defimetly super lol'd! I could only imagine how things would be run if PB was in charge. XD

Home sweet home

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6916 on: November 23, 2009, 06:02:41 AM
He's like that Super Justin guy. Except his posts are much worse.

I didn't think that was possible. :/

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #6917 on: November 23, 2009, 06:03:36 AM
PB nearly got banned when he joined.

>>

Offline Blaze Yeager

• The Loremaster
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Suikatei Blog
Reply #6918 on: November 23, 2009, 06:07:01 AM
Hmm... never heard of it..
;_;,Please Check the Fangame Thread and read through it.....
(Check the Mod my Rockman Thread too)

Posted on: November 23, 2009, 06:04:09
He's like that Super Justin guy. Except his posts are much worse.

I didn't think that was possible. :/
Tickle Listen,I'M NOTHING LIKE SUPERJUSTINBROS ok? and i can say i'm never going to Falsify things ok? and furthermore You don't know my own life so GIVE ME A BREAK!?!?
This is going to end up like That one time on TFCC.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #6919 on: November 23, 2009, 06:08:15 AM
just a friendly tip, use the double post button.

Oh, and Tickle is a troll. Don't feed him by yelling at him. I mostly laugh at his posts.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6920 on: November 23, 2009, 06:08:41 AM
His posts were terrible.

Your posts are terrible.

Therefore, you have something in common! Maybe you can go hang out or something.

Also my name is Tickle Buffalo, not Tickle Listen. Just so you know.

Offline Blaze Yeager

• The Loremaster
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • Suikatei Blog
Reply #6921 on: November 23, 2009, 06:10:33 AM
just a friendly tip, use the double post button.

Oh, and Tickle is a troll. Don't feed him by yelling at him. I mostly laugh at his posts.
I guess i should listen to you.....Any way lets get back on Topic.....

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6922 on: November 23, 2009, 06:12:13 AM

Are you trying to suggest that his posts aren't terrible!?

Also [tornado fang] you I'm just telling it like it is. I always tell it like it is. :<

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #6923 on: November 23, 2009, 06:13:28 AM
I'm just telling it like it is. I always tell it like it is. :<
that's my gig, you fucktard. :|

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #6924 on: November 23, 2009, 06:14:14 AM