Author Topic: Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread  (Read 196636 times)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Re: Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread
« Reply #2225 on: March 08, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »
I haven't really clogged my inventory spaces with that. Also if you find him again (near Woodland Stables is where he went after the first time) he'll do about 6 more upgrades before heading off to his home where he'll remain for as many future upgrades as needed.

Meanwhile I finished the first dungeon. Working on the next but I'm exploring in the meantime.
OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
If that counts as a hint then a truck crashing through your wall counts as subtle.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
« Reply #2226 on: March 08, 2017, 06:12:03 PM »
The world being so damn huge is a doubled edged sword.  I was pleasantly surprised by how well shrines are done.  They're lit up, you spot them from a high spot, mark your map, get adventuring, and that's effectively how you gather heart containers and warp points.  It's perfect.

But then there's those damn memory pictures.  I WANT THOSE SO BAD, it's a far bigger story hook to me than the beasts, and yet you're given no direction for them.  Just hope to God you recognize something from a screenshot in a ludicrously massive game world, sure, why not? O:<

I did climb Mount Lanayru, though, and that was fun.

"Your pants are on fire."

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: March 08, 2017, 10:05:47 PM »
No were near 100% complete but I did finish the story and can confirm the true ending is achieved by freeing all four divine beasts AND doing the memory quests, also found the Master Sword by pure luck (cough* bring 13 hearts *cough*) and stumbled on the Hylian shield in Hyrule Castle (lockup area on the west side of the base level)

I'm actually kinda tempted to do a weak link run of Hyrule castle someday in the future---NO idea how one is meant to survive the Calamity Ganon fight with three hearts though.  XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: March 09, 2017, 04:21:21 AM »
I love the memory pictures and how they're given. It's a reason to explore. I was stoked when I found one.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: March 09, 2017, 04:48:18 PM »
Yeah, well, you don't really need a "reason."  I pretty much lost myself in the game yesterday, running around looking for far-off shrines and ores.  And the fact that that's even possible while STILL feeling that there's so much left undone and unexplored, is saying a lot.

Dungeons?  Beasts?  Yeah, I'll probably get there someday.

To be clear, the good far and away outweighs the bad.  But weapon durability is crap, there really should have been some way of maintaining your preferred weapons.  Also, compared to Twilight Princess, your abilities on horseback are limited.  You can't throw bombs, can't use any of the slate functions, really, and no Hook/Clawshot means you can't pick up items, which is the meat and bones of BotW.  Essentially you have to hop off every time you see anything remotely interesting, and that gets tiresome.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #2230 on: March 10, 2017, 04:35:05 AM »
Well I've noticed that there's very few unique weapons and there tends to be ways to get them back if they are.

As for not being able to do much on horseback... I've found riding horses is just a tiny part of the game. The meat of the game is being able to climb almost everything and explore almost anywhere. I rarely even ride anything, finding it faster to glide around.
OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
If that counts as a hint then a truck crashing through your wall counts as subtle.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #2231 on: March 12, 2017, 11:29:26 AM »
I beat the game tonight. Here are my potentially massive-spoilery thoughts.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: March 13, 2017, 04:51:55 AM »
I'm still nowhere even close to being done, but I'll just point out the nitpicks I have with the game.

• Needs more buttons to move through the menu. Scrolling with the L & R button still takes a while considering all the slots for food & armor
  • Like with Monster Hunter, you should be able to register & save armor set combinations that you like.

Um yeah....that's really it. There's so much about this game that I love that I'd need a whole post to go over it and I have to get to bed.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: March 15, 2017, 05:45:05 AM »
Yeah, I've been pretty much running around the overworld completing the map towers, memories, shrines, searching for the Great Fairy fountains, all that stuff.  I've barely touched the main quest, literally only STARTED (did not finish) my first Divine Beast quest yesterday.  But I've got the Master Sword, three of the Fountains, all but one memory photo (but really that forest one was dumb luck; I don't know what manner of landmark you're supposed to notice there), bought a house, almost two full pages of clothing/accessories, and yeah, just overall having a blast.

I STILL say the weapon system is bogus, but it's not a deal-breaker by any stretch.  And SWORD BEAMS, YAY!

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: March 15, 2017, 11:13:28 PM »
Something i've noticed is Horse controls are awful in this game.

I tried doing a horse race on my boyfriends save cuz he was getting pissed off at it (he tried it with the big ganon-colored horse first and then epona) and turning is so awful and stiff, half the time we ran at one of those gates we had maybe a tiny angle which causes the horse to stop dead in its tracks, and then there was one that no matter if we went on it dead on the horse stopped in front of it, or we would get forced off. all because it had a small incline in front of it.

Neither of us could understand how to get it at all. We still haven't gotten back to it, mostly because it costs money to do the race and we don't feel like reloading the save constantly to negate financial loss.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #2235 on: March 16, 2017, 06:19:12 AM »
Well you do need to constantly soothe your horse otherwise it doesn't like turning I've found.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: March 16, 2017, 10:40:43 PM »
No its more that the control doesn't really turn unless I do a hard right and then I can't angle it very well.

Epona's supposed to be max trust/affection so I don't think you can soothe her.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #2237 on: March 17, 2017, 07:10:56 AM »
You can soothe any horse even after max trust/affection/whatever if I'm not mistaken. They're still animals with their own thoughts after all.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: March 21, 2017, 05:44:07 AM »
You CAN soothe Epona but it would be more accurate to say there's no point to doing so, as she is in fact locked at max affection/obedience.

I know EXACTLY which jump Police Girl is talking about, it drove me nuts.  My solution is to do the course backwards.  Dead serious, there is no specific order that the jumps need to be taken in, and the incline is easier to take in reverse.  Also don't rush; the time limit is VERY forgiving.  You can slow to a trot if you need to.

Don't fret about it too much if you're sticking to Epona, though.  The reward is an extra saddle, and you can't change hers.

The problem with that jump is that an obedient horse tries to anticipate your will and stick to whatever path it's on.  This causes your horse to, of their own accord, follow the curve of the hill before the jump, which causes your horse to stop at the jump because you have to be running straight to make a jump.

Ordinarily I very much like the horse controls in the game; they did a very good job of immersing you by controlling Link riding a horse rather than controlling the horse directly (and it's nice to no longer have the ridiculously wide dead zone of Twilight Princess HD).  But the obstacle course feels like it simply was not designed with that in mind, since the horse's AI actively interferes with it.