N-Mario · 3120

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
on: April 02, 2018, 08:12:30 AM
So I've been playing around with NES palettes, and I was able to obtain 3 different sets from various resources.

This one appears to be from a set that is most likely used in the style of Mega Man 9, Mega Man 10

It seems to be the most accurate to my point of view, from comparing other palettes.
It appears to be the set that I used for some of my recent Mega Man sprites.

This one comes from RockMan Complete Works released in Japan

I have no idea the origins of where Capcom came up with this set at the time.
It doesn't seem to match any other NES palettes I came across.

This one comes from the more recent Mega Man Legacy Collection (3DS version, specifically)

This appears to be a slightly more brighter, standard YUV palette, or unless what I was playing the game on made it appear brighter.

Doing some more research on NES palettes, I came across this little site, which lists even more sets.
http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Famicom_Color_Palette
Not that it matters much though, since the Mega Man ports don't use every single possible set in existence.

I just thought this was an interesting find, that throughout all the classic 8-bit games based on the NES format, the colors have been somewhat inconsistent.

Any way, I've compiled some different Mega Man based palette files for use on any NES emulators. Here are the proof of screen shots for the palette files, for what each palette file looks like in game.
Click on the image for animation comparison cycle.

For those that may be color blind, you probably won't see any difference. But as a color hoarder, I actually do see all the various differences between each palette file.

The bottom right image colors is custom made. Modified from the original RockMan 9 palette to give him his modern day colors, and the brightness is slightly darker than the original as a personal preference.

I have a ton more palette files I have collected over the years, but these are ones specific to the Mega Man series.
I actually have like 3 different folders containing various NES palettes. One folder containing general NES Palettes, 2nd folder containing JUST MegaMan variant palettes, and 3rd one that contains 16 palettes from the Famicom Color Palette Wiki page. They are all very good, and have their own unique color styles. :)

I have uploaded the NES palettes I have collected, or made on my free time.
NES Palette Collection
Includes all the MegaMan based colors, as well as the ones found on the Famicom Color Wiki page.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:38:20 AM by N-Mario »

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 07:50:31 PM
I've been using the Hybrid Palette myself, it gives just the right balance to me, wouldn't mind being able to try the last 2 palettes though.  I tried the Megaman 9 palette but I felt it was just too "red" for the other NES games.

MM9 Palette

Hybrid Palette

And trust me I've been trying a ton of palettes for NES emulators.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 06:06:02 AM
Yea I noticed that too. That's why i said I was messing with them mainly for Mega Man games, as they don't seem to work that well for other games.
For the bottom right corner's colors, as I said it is the MM9 palette, with a slight decrease in brightness (darkened by -8 from the original colors), and a darker Mega Man default palette.
Dark Blue: R-0,G-96,B-208 (Based on Rockman's blue colors from NeoGeo pocket game, Battle & Fighters)
Light Blue: R-94,G-176,B-240

I wasn't sure what all the rules are on these forums for sharing palettes for NES emulators, but I can upload the ones I have done if you want. :)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 06:31:11 AM
I think the main thing is to not distribute ROMs but I think palettes should be fine.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 08:34:48 AM
Alright that's fair enough. :)

So in any case, I uploaded the NES palettes I have collected, or made on my free time.
NES Palette Collection

I'll put this in the top post as well, for if anyone is curious. ;)