Super Smash Bros. Bitchslap: What Do You Want To See In It?

Jericho · 145624

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: January 06, 2009, 06:52:17 AM
i'd didn't expect him to get in one bit. partly because i'd never even heard of Statropics. unfortunately, Startropics is incredibly unheard of. more people probably knew of Earthbound before Smash 64 than anyone knows about Startropics today. i told my friends that quite a few people wanted to see Mike Jones in. and they said "who?" i told them he came from Startropics, and they never heard of it. and neither have i if you had not brought it up.

then again, Ice Climber is pretty obscure, isn't it?

Hell, I would have settled for an Assist Trophy. He really isn't too obscure if most places I go to, I can find someone advocating for a new appearance from him.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: January 06, 2009, 06:53:50 AM
Whether it's in SSB4 or not, I would like to see some more Battle Clash/Metal Combat action.

Offline Akamaru

• RPM's Puppy Mascot
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I love winter time.
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: January 06, 2009, 07:00:26 AM
More than one person could use the smash ball. Like 2 Smash Balls floating around.

When was the last time I poked you guys...

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: January 06, 2009, 07:09:29 AM
acutally, i'd rather there be a new method of aquiring Final Smashes. the idea of a super meter sounds like a good idea, actually.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: January 06, 2009, 07:13:41 AM
acutally, i'd rather there be a new method of aquiring Final Smashes. the idea of a super meter sounds like a good idea, actually.

Like I said before this plus a crowd cheer mechanic a la PM2 would work wonders.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: January 06, 2009, 07:21:54 AM

I'm not so sure about that. Part of the reason of why I like the Final Smashes is because it's different from what's usually done. Not to mention they'd have to balance them if that happens, having to face Super Dragon Yoshi/Super Sonic/Giga Bowser so often would be annoying.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline pyromonki12

• Net Navi
  • Just Jump On It!
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: January 06, 2009, 09:04:26 AM
a lot of final smashes need to be balanced anyway. I think the smash ball system works well, I just think the insta-KO ones should go. I know they're supers but they could just be high damagers, the whole unavoidable death because I couldn't reach an awkwardly placed smash ball doesn't leave with the feeling that I've been served an honest match.

But FS's do make for great lulz.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: January 06, 2009, 09:22:20 AM
PB: your YL list is interesting, to say the least. i'd ditch the human form, though. it feels like its only taking up space. i think swapping through the mask forms is enough.

He needs to be in though.  I don't want to have a Random Mask Switch similar to the Pokemon Trainer.  I want you to be able to switch at will, and that requires Young Link to be the Base.  Plus, when he dies & after the Final Smash wears off, he always comes back as Young Link. 

Oh, and his Stage is going to be the Stone Tower Temple.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: January 06, 2009, 09:22:45 AM
a lot of final smashes need to be balanced anyway. I think the smash ball system works well, I just think the insta-KO ones should go. I know they're supers but they could just be high damagers, the whole unavoidable death because I couldn't reach an awkwardly placed smash ball doesn't leave with the feeling that I've been served an honest match.

But FS's do make for great HAHA.

You leave my Critical Hit alone. >_>

It's one thing to smack the [parasitic bomb] out of someone for a insta-KO. It's another thing entirely to set someone up so badly for it that they're scratching their head going WTF (ask PB about my Star Rod to reverse Critical Hit moment), or canceling it early and catching people off guard.

Damn, Marth's Critical Hit is the ultimate mind game. No wonder I like it so much. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: January 06, 2009, 09:26:07 AM
I'm kinda curious what people think of my Alice idea.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: January 06, 2009, 09:35:29 AM
I liked it actually, it's quirky and original. XD

What I'd like to know is what people thought of my overall Mike Jones moveset (not just the specials) and if a 45 person roster would be pushing things too much. I've condensed the list again to 48, but I really can't find 3 characters to axe. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: January 06, 2009, 09:37:28 AM
LoL, I'll tell you what.  Make the Font bigger and then I'll give your Mike Jones' A moves a more closer look!

Also, why are you axing anyone?  This topic is for fun!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: January 06, 2009, 09:42:12 AM
Hmm, that's true. I guess I'm trying too hard to make a universal thread approved list. XD

I'll increase the font now. And done. Be sure to leave comments on the special notes as well. XD

EDIT - I'm going to find some music for that profile in a bit. Artists of RPM, it'd be nice if we could see your renditions of some of these things. 8)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: January 06, 2009, 09:54:48 AM
Hmm, that's true. I guess I'm trying too hard to make a universal thread approved list. XD

I'll increase the font now. And done. Be sure to leave comments on the special notes as well. XD

LoL, I mean, I'll let you in on a little secret.  When I eventually get around to 3rd Party Characters, you can be DAMN sure I'm making a Blues moveset!   8D

Awesome.  I'll check that tomorrow, as I think it's bed time.

Posted on: January 06, 2009, 03:45:07 AM
Actually, screw it.  I just read it now. 

The A moves seem pretty decent in terms of the Yo-Yo being the primary weapon.  However, I think you have way too many moves that do both decent damage & knockback.  From what it sounds like, he has no real weakness, so to speak.

As for his B moves, as I said, I prefer mine for the main fact that I think my Down B & Forward B make him a little more unique as a character.  However, if the Yo-Yo was his primary weapon of attack, then my Standard B could use more work.

Also, I think my Ultra Psychic Shockwave is more powerful (and possibly more Broken) due to the fact that I don't see Mike jumping up high in order to do it.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: January 06, 2009, 10:12:23 AM
Actually, screw it.  I just read it now. 

The A moves seem pretty decent in terms of the Yo-Yo being the primary weapon.  However, I think you have way too many moves that do both decent damage & knockback.  From what it sounds like, he has no real weakness, so to speak.

As for his B moves, as I said, I prefer mine for the main fact that I think my Down B & Forward B make him a little more unique as a character.  However, if the Yo-Yo was his primary weapon of attack, then my Standard B could use more work.

Also, I think my Ultra Psychic Shockwave is more powerful (and possibly more Broken) due to the fact that I don't see Mike jumping up high in order to do it.

Hmm, it does seem like I got carried away with my wording, but for the most part, only the smashes have a high knockback and damage properties. The tilts are meant to play keep away and at most juggle people and keep them in range. The individual A moves are simple enough, though I really like the idea of KOing someone with a dashing "Walking the Dog". So then how would you propose balancing him out without losing the animations and zany nature I had for his style?

My final smash could possibly be more balanced due to the fact that there are only ten explosions. However they all happen one after the other. Think a PK Starstrom where every star that dropped exploded either on contact with the ground, in the air, or on an opponent.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: January 06, 2009, 10:15:55 AM
So then how would you propose balancing him out without losing the animations and zany nature I had for his style?

I would say make him still punch and kick with the Cleats and such, and make the Yo-Yo his final hit in a Combo as well as his Smashes, but reduce their power a bit.  Perhaps only give him 1 or 2 good powerful Smashes, like his Forward and Up Air, or something like that.  Keep his Meteor Smash in though. 

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: January 06, 2009, 10:28:52 AM
First off, ghosts, Ghosts, GHOSTS! Ghost types are the ONLY types in Pokemon that were excluded from every single Smash game. (Drifloon doesn't count because its appearance emphasized its Flying type more.)
[chameleon sting]ing this.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #142 on: January 06, 2009, 06:53:46 PM
This I do not agree with.  First of all, no Final Smash is unavoidable if you're careful/skillful enough (at least assuming the stage has decent variance; you're pretty much screwed if you're stuck against a Landmaster on Final Destination).  It's a momentary challenge, one which I'm happy to contend with.  If you submit yourself to death just because you know a Zero Laser is on the way, that's your problem.

The entire point of the Smash Balls is that anyone has access to them, just like the other items.  The fact that Smash Bros. is so off the wall and so unlike a traditional fighter is a key part of the game's appeal to many, myself included.  But ever since Melee the game has accommodated those who try to "force" the game into a traditional fighter.  Leave it at that.  If you don't like Final Smashes, there's no reason you can't turn the Smash Balls off.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: January 06, 2009, 07:11:38 PM
-post-

Thank you so much for putting it into perspective.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: January 06, 2009, 07:24:39 PM
[...] you're pretty much screwed if you're stuck against a Landmaster on Final Destination.

This happens to me all the time. -u-' IMO, Wolf + Falco + Final Destination = FUN!

Also, I agree with Hypershell on this one. I for one would find the game a lot less fun without the Final Smashes.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: January 06, 2009, 07:26:45 PM
If you submit yourself to death just because you know a Zero Laser is on the way, that's your problem.

LoL, if your health is high enough, you submit yourself TO death if you ARE Samus and you fire the Zero Laser.   8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: January 06, 2009, 07:35:42 PM
This happens to me all the time. -u-' IMO, Wolf + Falco + Final Destination = FUN!
The Landmaster is the most obvious example, but really, you can get screwed in a lot of ways on Final Destination.  Smash was never conceived as a flat-terrain-and-platformless fighter, and there are a lot of issues with trying to force that as "the" metagame the way the tournament community tried to in Melee.  Brawl just happened to make that even more apparent.  Which is really a lousy time to start adding a Final Destination 4-player free for all into Classic mode. X(

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: January 06, 2009, 07:38:35 PM
The Landmaster is the most obvious example, but really, you can get screwed in a lot of ways on Final Destination.  Smash was never conceived as a flat-terrain-and-platformless fighter, and there are a lot of issues with trying to force that as "the" metagame the way the tournament community tried to in Melee.  Brawl just happened to make that even more apparent.  Which is really a lousy time to start adding a Final Destination 4-player free for all into Classic mode. X(

True, but honestly, I really like Final Destination in Brawl. Probably because it's so damn simplistic and really comes down to the nitty-gritty fighting eachother (unless you're really good at dodging). Of course, that's just me... n_n;

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: January 06, 2009, 07:53:12 PM
Yeah, but even if going completely item/FS-less, there's still the fact that Final Destination severely downplays the aerial game.  That's what I hate about it.  The lack of terrain difference also grants undue leverage to lateral distance moves, be they dashing or projectile.

This is also true, to a lesser extent, of Battlefield.  Sure, it has platforms, but they're so closed in that it doesn't make much difference.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: January 06, 2009, 09:13:15 PM
i can't stand Brawl's FD. those lips under the ledges screw everyone over.

something came to me last night. i see Dixie is a very popular pick. well, i'd opt not to use Dixie because it creates an imbalance of retro. i'd say put in a character that's a little more fresh. and because Dixie's playstyle would be very fun, there's a perfect alternative: Tiny. i'll whip up a moveset in a little bit.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.