1up interview: Hironobu Takeshita says "whine moar for Mega Man X 9"

Jazz Shaking · 28052

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
I'd still kill for a Command Mission 2 with better cel shading and design and a more refined turn based battle system or even more awesome real time battle system.

Let's face it, Command Mission was a great change of pace.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I'd still kill for a Command Mission 2 with better cel shading and design and a more refined turn based battle system or even more awesome real time battle system.

Let's face it, Command Mission was a great change of pace.
command mission was INCREDIBLE.
also, the next one should feature facial expressions.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
command mission was INCREDIBLE.

The ingame models looked like wreck though.

Egg headed misshaped monsters.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
I just wonder how long the storyline for that series could go before the eventual "give us Elf Wars links" arguement started. Also, Marino, Cinnamon & Massimo were well designed characters. They need more screen time.

The ingame models looked like wreck though.

Egg headed misshaped monsters.

I remember feeling so hyped thinking the models in game would be 1:1 with the gorgeous box and concept art for the game. Imagine my disappointment after starting it. XD

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I remember feeling so hyped thinking the models in game would be 1:1 with the gorgeous box and concept art for the game. Imagine my disappointment after starting it. XD

You are SO right. X and Co look awesome on the official art.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Being an X fan myself, his redesign was nothing short of godly for me. Plasma cape... *drools*

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
also then theres some of the "forced VAing. lol, RRRREDIPS!

That gives me a YTP idea!

X GETS A NEW MOTORCYCLE

RRRRRRRRRR, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, RRRRRRRRRRRRRR, RRRRRRRRRR

Edit: But seriously, Command Mission was really fun. I'd like another, and they'd probably have the $$$ and knowledge to fix the quirks, this time.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I'd like to see another one too. But with more freedom, and not so close to the MM formula of "defeat 8 bosses, defeat 4 more bosses, defeat last boss".

They should get their Breath of Fire teams to work on that.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
I'd like to see another one too. But with more freedom, and not so close to the MM formula of "defeath 8 bosses, defeat 4 more bosses, defeat last boss".

Cosigned and all that. Seriously though, if there's anything more that they should add to the mechanics of the game, then it has to be a real time battle system. I loved how Action Triggers were pulled off and some of the turn based stuff was top notch, but if I get full control over my party a la the "Tales of..." series, that'd be like my X series fangasm right there. XD

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
Uh... far as I know, a lot of the BoF staff was in. Kitabayashi prides himself in creating the series even. I had checked a listing of the staff and it seemed a lot of the staff in CM was also in at least Dragon Quarter.

But I don't think we'll be seeing another CM2 anytime soon if ever, now that Inafune commands (punchline drumroll) all the Mega Man series again.

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Zx

• You're already dead
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Come and fight!"
    • View Profile
And who's tired about every boss have to be an animal?

"Di Mant de Vongole Primo!"

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Uh... far as I know, a lot of the BoF staff was in. Kitabayashi prides himself in creating the series even.

Hmmm must have missed that. However, doesn't change the fact that CM has potential, which could be exploited in future sequels.

Not me.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
But I don't think we'll be seeing another CM2 anytime soon if ever, now that Inafune commands (punchline drumroll) all the Mega Man series again.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK. This is the wait for Mega Man Legends 3/Rockman DASH 3 all over again. XD

I'm not, but mixing things up with humanoid reploids would be cool. It's one of the reasons why I love the Big 4 so much in the Zero series. They had awesome character designs and interesting personalities. ZX screwed them over though. XD

Offline Zx

• You're already dead
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Come and fight!"
    • View Profile
I mean, soon or later they will run out of animals >_>

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
At which point, they'll re-use them with a different element or power. :P

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I mean, soon or later they will run out of animals >_>

Are you sure? There are more species on this planet than you can possibly list. And every single one of them can be turned into a Reploid. Every. Single. One.

Offline Zx

• You're already dead
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Come and fight!"
    • View Profile
D:

I will lol if they make Mosquitoman 8D

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
i want another Split mushroom. he was awesome. he was SUCH a Geminiman clone.
but I digress, who else agrees that if they  make an Elf wars game, it should be like CM? I mean, it WAS a final strike that defeated Omega...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rodrigo Shin

• Not a Zero series
  • Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Ácido Cinza
I am.

The reason for retcon is to cancel out contradictions
a retcon is a last resort to erase a contradiction
Guys, please let me know when did Gwen Stacy getting retroactively impregnated with Goblin Twins solve any contradiction whatsoever and didn't create a whole set of new ones. TTFN

--

Whenever it comes to "consensus" and things alike, always remember Tony Bullet-Tooth's sage advice:
"You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
There are some plant based mavs.: Wire sponge, Split Mushroom, Spike Rosered, Optic Sunflower, The wierd tulip thing from X7...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
that was an Onion.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Hell if I care about X7.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Boy, I take some downtime from the internet and look at what I miss? :|

On the original topic, no matter how many magic fish smacks and boots to the head I bequeath, the fanboy favoritism will never die.  The NES style, despite being technically limited, is still a worthwhile format in that they actually present a nice level of detail considering the technical limitations they're adhering to (that and the whole thing is cheap and easy, so it helps minimize development costs).  The Classic series also contains relatively simple designs no matter what technical limits are applied, simply because that's the atmosphere they built it on.

The SNES X-series style, on the other hand, is a different story.  It was made for the relatively simple armor designs of X1, and two sequels later it was all too obvious that the series character design had outgrown the visual style.  Zero's revised armor was never displayed properly on the SNES, and the X3 capsule upgrades were a complete mess of pixels.  I could accept this if it were a technological limitation, but it's not, it's a style flaw.  The SNES is capable of better.  The style chosen for X on the SNES was adequate for its conception but is too lacking in detail for the later evolutions of the series.  As the designs have grown even more complex since the series left the SNES, these issues have only been magnified further (how in any way do you expect an SNES-style Axl to be done well?).  Also, from a production standpoint, the relative complexity of the SNES as compared to NES lessens the development cost benefits.  Hell, it's the same number of colors to a character on the SNES as on PS1 or NDS, the extra processing power of later systems were merely used to add bells and whistles: more/larger objects, faster framerate, recorded audio clips, and a few spiffy effects like transparent dash shadows.  Take that away, and the only difference is that the SNES uses an inferior drawing style.  There's no reason to return to those shackles.

I have no issues against a 2D X9, mind you.  But there's no reason to adhere to the archaic and now inadequate SNES visuals (SFX, on the other hand, are another story).  Either do PS1 style sprites and re-think the physics (air-dash momentum in particular), or just build a new style.

yeah, the graphics seemed sorta bad in places, such as how no one has facial expressions. this is the biggest issue with X though. as hes just standing there with no expression, screamin REDIPS! YOU... YOU MAVERICK! which is hillarious to watch. also then theres some of the "forced VAing. lol, RRRREDIPS!
You say that as if facial expressions are common in MegaMan games.  Besides Legends they have never been utilized as part of 3D models.  For that matter their use in mugshots is pretty rare as well; X5, X8, MHX and Z4-ZX are about all that come to mind for the platformers.

Note also that the three X-series games that bothered with expressions are extraordinarily lazy for a far less subtle reason: armor neglect.  In X5 (not so much an issue except in the X vs. Zero aftermath, which could have been corrected sprite-wise without having to edit art) and X8 it was just lazy; in MHX it was downright laughable.

who else agrees that if they  make an Elf wars game, it should be like CM? I mean, it WAS a final strike that defeated Omega...
Agreed, but for another reason.  In an X-series RPG the party mechanic throws a monkey wrench into the story: You need something to tip the scales in order to justify single boss so blatantly overpowering X or Zero on their own, something which post-X1 always has fans raising eyebrows.  In XCM, it was Force Metal.  For Elf Wars, a possible factor such as that has already been established: Cyber-Elf abuse.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
D:

I will lol if they make Mosquitoman 8D
Well, they made Dragonflyman, so...

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
And Flaming Co- er, I mean Burn Rooster.  8D