Question. Who here remembers "Bushido Blade"?

HokutoNoBen · 2365

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
on: December 26, 2008, 02:52:26 AM
For those of you who have a fond spot for this PSX-era "stylish kendo simulator" series as much I do, you might be interested in what I have to say.

For those of you who don't even know what I'm talking about, well, allow me to elaborate.

Bushido Blade and its sequel were fairly popular fighting games during their era, that were developed by a company named "Light Weight" and published by Squaresoft. The main thing that separated this series from everything else out there, was the way the fights themselves were conducted.

While it was still "1v1", this 3D fighter did some very different things. For one, there was no time limits, no life gauges, no super meters, nothing that you would consider "status quo" for fighting game interfaces. For two, you and your opponent had free reign to wander about the given arena you were in, which often were multi-tiered stages that allotted for being able to roam about as you pleased. Oh, and then there's the big thing: One hit KOs were very much the norm, and, at least in the US versions, that meant grisly death for your character. 

A number of different weapons and different characters, all with their own attributes and styles, made for nice variety all around.

This type of innovative fighter was something that people dug very much....and then were heart-broken when it was found out that Light Weight and Squaresoft parted company. The exact details of what happened during that time may never be known, but it was reported that Squaresoft, legally, kept the "Bushido engine" for themselves. I suppose that would be a good reason why none of Light Weight's future and similar games in the "Kengo" series, were never quite what Bushido Blade was.

But any way....so an old pal of mine gets in contact with me about a few days ago. While we were talking rather casually and catching up through IM, eventually, one thing leads to another, and then he spilled the beans....

Bushido Blade 3. It's FINALLY happening. No, this is not my lame attempt at a "Reserved" topic, or whatever that particular meme is called. This [parasitic bomb] is for real. And he would be at the liberty to say as such, because he's helming the project himself.  0v0

Any way, he's still being relatively tight-lipped about the thing, which won't probably be officially unveiled for another matter of months. But he was able to whet my appetite with a few choice details.

* currently, the game is still at least 13 months away from being complete (so sometime in 2010 is probably going to be the release date)

* will continue to use the Bushido Blade engine, and seeks to just add more to it (more weapons, stances and etc, is what I could glean)

* will be VERY, VERY gory; the game definitely is more of a Western/American-focused project

* will NOT be a continuation of the story from the last two games, and won't have any of its characters come back, due to the legal snafu with Light Weight (so sorry, no Tony Umeda  ;O;)

* will be 360 exclusive, he and his team have no interest in developing the game for the PS3

* trying to shoot for showing off the game for the first time no later than Summer 09 (if not earlier)

* website will be up "very soon"

So, needless to say, as an old Bushido Blade fan, color me all the various shades and tints of excited. While it's still a long way from being complete, the thought of being able to throw swords into people's faces again, is enough to make me melt.

I'm just sorry I don't have much more in the way of proof to back up my claims. But my friend, in the while I've known him, has never given me reason to doubt on what he stands to deliver.

Stay tuned...

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 02:53:43 AM
I do remember it. Vaguely. I remember there was a sequel too.

Enjoyed it for a while.

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 03:04:01 AM
HOLY [parasitic bomb] NEW BUSHIDO BLADE HOLY [parasitic bomb] NEW BUSHIDO BLADE HOLY [parasitic bomb] NEW BUSHIDO BLADE HOLY [parasitic bomb] NEW BUSHIDO BLADE HOLY [parasitic bomb] NEW BUSHIDO BLADE HOLY [parasitic bomb] NEW BUSHIDO BLADE HOLY [parasitic bomb] NEW BUSHIDO BLADE HOLY [parasitic bomb] NEW BUSHIDO BLADE HOLY [parasitic bomb] NEW BUSHIDO BLADE HOLY [parasitic bomb] NEW BUSHIDO BLADE HOLY [parasitic bomb] NEW BUSHIDO BLADE aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhh asdhgffkjsdhfjksfkjsdhkfsdfhjsdgfsjdfh;slkhfskjhdfkjlshjfdj

I remember finishing the first one on PS1 in like, fifteen minutes or something, due to having found a lightning-fast one-hit kill move with one of the characters. Still, good fun, good fun. It's basically a matter of who hits with the one-hit-killer first. XD

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 03:11:23 AM
I remember this! sadly I never played it, but i'll never forget the whole shigdid w/ the one hit kills and those boxarts and that character w/ the yellow and black suit 8D.

Cool that this franchise is coming back~

Offline TheDivine

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 03:41:03 AM
The internet sure does have a lot of people who have "inside information" lately.

I'll believe it when I [tornado fang]ing see it.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 03:42:13 AM
I dunno man, I trust Ben. He's one of the only guys here who wouldn't risk his credibility with a joke, and this would be something of a hefty joke for him to do so with.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 04:13:56 AM
Can't say I blame TD, or others, if they don't believe me. Hell, I've known the guy for a while now, and even I wasn't willing to believe him at first.  8D

But I'll just put it like this. Because in the end, I have very good reason to trust the words of my friend (who hasn't let me down with similar things before), I'm reporting as such. Feel free to keep a strong spirit of discernment, as you will.

Offline RockmanHalo

• Just a regular Cleveland...
  • Net Navi
  • Polackman
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 04:41:49 AM
Is there gonna be a machine gun chick in BB3?

Talk. Fast.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 05:10:03 AM
Like I said, there's plenty I don't know. All that I do, is listed above.

Again, the story from the past two games, as well as the original cast? They're not reported to return.

On the other hand, I suppose that doesn't rule out the notion that such things will live on "in spirit".  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 05:49:24 AM
Sadly, I missed out on this game due to my lack of a PSX or even a PS2 until later on.  However, color me interested in the game.  It sounds unique.  And hey, any chance to kick Ninja Lou's ass in a fighting game is good for me!   8)

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 05:59:21 AM
I had it, great game. Me and my bro played it all the time.

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 06:00:34 AM
I had it, great game. Me and my bro played it all the time.

LoL, so we can put this on the "I have no chance against you" list of fighting games?   8D

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 06:32:21 AM
LoL, so we can put this on the "I have no chance against you" list of fighting games?   8D

I think that will depend largely on the notions of:

a) if Ninja Lou has kept his warrior sense and blade sharp from those original games

-and/or-

b) if BB3 will truly do more to pick up where BB2 left off, or if it may do more to expand/enhance, such that even veterans will have to learn it all over again.

But in any case, why "cut" yourself so short, Blues?  8D