Sonic Unleashed

Phi · 208207

Poll

Which version of Unleashed will you buy?

PS3
3 (9.7%)
12 (38.7%)
Wii
12 (38.7%)
PS2
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Offline Setsuna F. Seiei

• Neo Arcadian
  • 俺が, ガンダムだ!
    • View Profile
Reply #400 on: December 13, 2008, 06:33:58 AM
In terms of which version is the best.

PS3 or 360 >>>>>Wii>>>>PS2.

What is Cray Castle? Well... we don't know (yet.) It's more likely to be a DLC level than it is to be a lost level. Right now, it's too soon to say. All we can confirm is that there is apparently a 10th level in the 360/PS3 version of the game. Similar data mining in the Wii/PS2 version did not turn up such a level.

It's a DLC add on. Rumors were leaked about added stages later on. they just won't have any real meaning, such as the empire city of Britannia not having jack to with the plot.

And that's moonrunes spellin's, It's cLay castle.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #401 on: December 13, 2008, 06:57:48 AM
Yes, I'm well aware of the translation burp. I didn't bother posting an update here from lack of interest and along with being busy 100%ing the game. Just need to snipe out the hot dog missions in four continents and I'm done with the exception of a handful of S Ranks and a few items. Game was surprisingly easy.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #403 on: December 19, 2008, 01:08:40 AM
He's clearly only played thw Wii/PS2 versions.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline PowerArmor

• MSPainting
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Yus!
    • View Profile
Reply #404 on: December 19, 2008, 01:10:04 AM
Oh, how I love Yahtzee's rants.

Offline shinobigoomba

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #405 on: December 19, 2008, 02:13:45 AM
nah...he was complaining about having to roam the hubworld.
it was the 360 version.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #406 on: December 19, 2008, 02:58:46 AM

no, he hates everything.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #407 on: December 19, 2008, 03:02:25 AM
The sad part is, he's actually right about Sonic running too fast.

Think about it. If you had to travel through the spike-infested parts of Green Hill Zone at some ungodly speed, would you? I wouldn't. Slow it down to Genesis-speed, guys.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #408 on: December 19, 2008, 03:17:23 AM
Amen, HyperSonic.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #409 on: December 19, 2008, 03:19:22 AM
It's not about speeding up or slowing down Sonic at this point. Sonic just needs his old mechanics back. 0 to lightning isn't helping much even if it's as face meltingly awesome as it is in Unleashed.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #410 on: December 19, 2008, 05:16:42 AM
Maybe Sonic needs to be put down!  :P Seriously though, Sonic needs to be himself again! No more gimmicks, just good ol' fashioned Sonic games with Sonic going really fast blast processing speed again. What is with this Sonic Team and the main games? I hope the Black Knight turns out to be even better than this and actually surprise me.   

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #411 on: December 19, 2008, 06:02:10 AM
Here's the dilemma:

Sonic Team can make a good Sonic game. Low speed, 2D, exploration rewarded by Special Stage rings, Super forms in every stage, etc. The works.

The problem is that implementing any one of those things goes against textbook marketing, which tells you to be NEW AND EXCITING OMFG without EVER basing your product on an older version or older product.

However, as we can see with the recent slew of Sonic games and 1P Mario Kart Wii even Kingdom Hearts 2, then as positive examples, Mega Man 9 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, that generic marketing concept does not apply to nor does it mesh well with Videogame Design. You must use tried-and-true formulas in game design. You must stick with what works. Deviate the slightest the wrong way, and it'll shatter the whole **** project.

You can, however, add small changes one at a time like Sonic Advance 3 had the Partners, or how Rush introduced the Rush Gauge. Don't let them pile up, though, and definitely don't let bad ones stay (like rail-grinding).

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #412 on: December 19, 2008, 08:49:18 AM
Yeah, I agree.

If Sega scrapped all the useless gimmicks and characters, which is essentially anything post-Sonic CD/Sonic 3 (depending on how picky you are about release dates), turn Robotnik (that's right, I said it) back into a credible villain and change Sonic's voice/lower his 'tude a bit, the games'd be great.

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #413 on: December 19, 2008, 10:44:10 PM
and definitely don't let bad ones stay (like rail-grinding).

Rail-grinding can, and has, been done well.  See Sonic Adventure 2, Final Rush.  However many of the more recent iterations have gotten more clunky, and sadly even Secret Rings is guilty of that one.

On everything else, much agreed.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #414 on: December 20, 2008, 02:03:43 AM
Rail grinding actually isn't bad in Unleashed... it's one of the few things they actually managed to improve on.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #415 on: December 20, 2008, 04:07:48 AM
They should return the Soap shoes from SA 2 and make them a permanent change to sonic... they make everything so much better.

on that note,

Sega could release a line of shoes based on them.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #416 on: December 20, 2008, 04:27:59 AM
Ugh... even acknowledging those nasty boxy advertising train wreck of a pair of shoes is wrong. It was only done because Sega needed some help 1) selling the grinding gimmick, 2) having enough money to actually see the game make release (Sega was pretty much in the deep red economically in 2000-2001. They were pretty much at the very edge of full collapse.)

His old shoe design is fine. But for the anal, they could offer putting a slight arch in the middle, nothing over exaggerated, sort of a 2.0 of the original pair. Finding the right compromise between the old design and the new one, design wise, would be a bit hard.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #417 on: December 20, 2008, 04:49:43 AM
They should return the Soap shoes from SA 2 and make them a permanent change to sonic... they make everything so much better.

on that note,

Sega could release a line of shoes based on them.

Boot to the head. Classic Sonic kicks must never be tampered with. As much as I liked the Soap shoes initially in the SA2 heydays, such a change now would make me cry.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #418 on: December 20, 2008, 08:05:40 PM
I love his Soap shoes. I think they look cool. they put him on par with Shadow's. (and the first one to hate on Shadows shoes gets a megaman boot to the head.) though they probably should make some kind of improved look on his old shoes, maybe his SA1 shoes. they were, (if I remember right, they looked like his regular shoes.) Sonics shoes look like they could use a little sprucing up. even if only a little bit.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #419 on: December 20, 2008, 08:10:27 PM
So far, the only character design (shoes and all) to ever come close to topping the Sonic CD Sonic (see the Sonic Boom/You Can Do Anything intro) is the model used in the HD versions of Sonic Unleashed. Even then, Oshima's Sonic design is light years more iconic and recognizable imo.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #420 on: December 20, 2008, 08:12:45 PM
So far, the only character design (shoes and all) to ever come close to topping the Sonic CD Sonic (see the Sonic Boom/You Can Do Anything intro) is the model used in the HD versions of Sonic Unleashed. Even then, Oshima's Sonic design is light years more iconic and recognizable imo.

I loved the animation style used in Sonic CD's intro. I remember that the style was also used in the Sonic movie, but I still think they should revisit it somehow.  >w<

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #421 on: December 20, 2008, 08:15:42 PM
I love Sonic's design in Brawl!   8D

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #422 on: December 20, 2008, 08:18:20 PM
Sonic's Brawl design was an incredibly well done middle ground between old Sonic and new Sonic. I wouldn't mind seeing that design used more often if the HD Unleashed model isn't coming back (hopefully it will be).

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #423 on: December 20, 2008, 08:22:39 PM
Sonic's Brawl design was an incredibly well done middle ground between old Sonic and new Sonic. I wouldn't mind seeing that design used more often if the HD Unleashed model isn't coming back (hopefully it will be).
Yeah, same here.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #424 on: December 21, 2008, 02:07:16 AM

At the least, it should be used on the Wii games, should the HD model be coming back.