Sonic Unleashed

Phi · 208128

Poll

Which version of Unleashed will you buy?

PS3
3 (9.7%)
12 (38.7%)
Wii
12 (38.7%)
PS2
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #350 on: December 03, 2008, 02:16:38 AM
Hey, reviewers and fans didn't like Secret Rings either, and I loved the game.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #351 on: December 03, 2008, 02:20:05 AM
Same here PB. I'd love to see Darkspine Sonic (it was that right?) again sometime, as impossible as that may be.

We're a Capcom site and you don't know? XD

- Mega Man 9
- Street Fighter 4

Although now that I think of it, there were a bunch more listed in a thread in ye olde RPM.

It's the others I don't remember =P

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #352 on: December 03, 2008, 02:39:20 AM
It's only annoying that the game is actually good (I'd give it a 7, since it still has some nagging issues, especially with frame rate in Adabat and in Eggmanland sometimes) but it's just some baseless complaints on the 360 version or they're not talked about in a certain way and blown off completely.

But to rate this worse than Shadow and Sonic Next? Jesus... that's a bit much.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #353 on: December 03, 2008, 02:43:47 AM
It's only annoying that the game is actually good (I'd give it a 7, since it still has some nagging issues, especially with frame rate in Adabat and in Eggmanland sometimes) but it's just some baseless complaints on the 360 version or they're not talked about in a certain way and blown off completely.

But to rate this worse than Shadow and Sonic Next? Jesus... that's a bit much.

I know the feeling. I just can't help but wonder if people will see the score and be dissuaded from the first true genuine effort of Sonic Team to make Sonic relevant again. If so, then I'mma be sad when we have more Heroes, Shadows, and Nexts to deal with. :\

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #354 on: December 03, 2008, 04:31:01 AM
Since this is the internet, and IGN is just an internet site, can't we, er, "persuade" them about this? Maybe get a better reviewer on the job?  -_-

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #355 on: December 03, 2008, 04:35:30 AM
Since this is the internet, and IGN is just an internet site, can't we, er, "persuade" them about this? Maybe get a better reviewer on the job?  -_-

Gonna go CD-i Luigi on IGN, eh?

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #356 on: December 03, 2008, 05:01:09 AM
Nah, most likely people will complain, IGN won't care because it still got them a buttload of site hits, which makes advertisers happy.

You can put the "Just As Planned." picture here.

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #357 on: December 03, 2008, 05:38:32 AM
I just noticed that one of the were hog's moves is called the "sho-hog-ken" in the video review IGN did.

Yeah, regardless of what IGN says, I'm getting this game. I also take back every bad thing I said about this game before it came out.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #358 on: December 03, 2008, 05:46:59 AM
Still planning on renting it unless a used copy shows up at GameStop. Kirby and Sonic Chronicles have caused me to never buy a new game unless it's either used or I've rented and liked it.

Offline shinobigoomba

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #359 on: December 03, 2008, 06:07:46 AM
rented it...wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be.
Sonic levels are fast and fun as hell. Although there are alot of cheaply placed traps and pits. That and I often feel that I'm not really in direct control of sonic. More like the springs and boost pads are playing the game for me.
Wherehog levels are..well...tolerable.

Offline Setsuna F. Seiei

• Neo Arcadian
  • 俺が, ガンダムだ!
    • View Profile
Reply #360 on: December 03, 2008, 06:21:17 AM
Played the game. Sonic levels fun.

But were hog stages are total [parasitic bomb]. Mainly because the [parasitic bomb] controlls.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #361 on: December 03, 2008, 07:15:15 AM
I plan to get the Wii version of the game when I finds me a job and then I will praise/complain about the game like you guys are but I cannot find me a job at the moment so I can only look at videos.  Anywho Was the werehog gameplay that bad?

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #362 on: December 03, 2008, 07:48:09 AM
Played the game. Sonic levels fun.

But were hog stages are total [parasitic bomb]. Mainly because the [parasitic bomb] controlls.

Some tips on better Werehog control:
-Holding B when you're making a jump to a grab-able object will ensure you grab it at the first opportunity.
-Tapping A while climbing up poles will let you climb faster. Further tap A three times when jumping between poles to ensure kick off. Kicking off is the only time where I felt the controls were sluggish. Not knowing this makes Holaska at Night a bit of a bother.
-Dashing is a good way to move around but is useless in battle... for now. Eventually, as you level up Combat, you'll learn dash attacks. Dash+Y is especially useful at clearing out throngs of enemies. You can also dash while holding an item.
-Dash Jumping is useful for certain platforming segments and gives your initial jump more horizontal distance. You're taught this in Holaska Night, but it's useful to know, especially on some of the Act 2 Werehog mini-stages.

That aside, he's pretty crappy at the beginning due to the lack of good moves. Level up his Combat ability and you'll get more attack combos. He gets pretty fun when you're able to go nuts on throngs of enemies with a bunch of different combos and finishers. The early stages are also pretty bland for the Werehog since they'd like you to spend some time learning the game and the character a little. The later werehog levels, like Empire City, are pretty fun.

The above is all true for the 360 version. From what I understand of the Wii version, the Werehog only has basic attacks (X,X,X, Y,Y,Y), no combos, and lacks a defense mechanism. The gameplay is described as more boring than the 360 one and people really hate it.

Offline Setsuna F. Seiei

• Neo Arcadian
  • 俺が, ガンダムだ!
    • View Profile
Reply #363 on: December 03, 2008, 10:31:07 AM
I've already leveled him up. The were hog sections are just horribly designed, and only exist because the game would be too short with only the speed areas.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #364 on: December 03, 2008, 04:19:51 PM
That's funny, I was thinking the -speed- levels were horribly designed.  I'm actually finding the Werehog levels to be the -least- frustrating part of this game, and even they're starting to [acid burst] me off.

As for the game being too short with only the speed areas... maybe if Sonic Team weren't needlessly boosting Sonic's speed with every game, to the point where in Unleashed you can't even see any of the stage around you except for a colored blur, then maybe the game wouldn't be so [tornado fang]ing short.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #365 on: December 03, 2008, 04:32:46 PM
It seems the most logical idea is to create a balance of including one long stage in Unleashed style to speed through and smaller stages for platforming, but not as small or gimmicky (most of them center around a gimmick) as in Unleashed. Throw in Tails and Knuckles with their own moves, abilities and weaknesses, their own paths and it seems they've pretty much got the perfect compromise.

And I bet people will find a way to complain about it too.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #366 on: December 03, 2008, 04:40:24 PM
And I bet people will find a way to complain about it too.

damn right they will. whether you include a few extra characters or no extra characters at all, people will complain that they're favorite character isn't there. it happened with SA2, which is also the reason why Tails has sucked in just about every appearance he's made since and (indirectly) why Shadow got his own sonofabitch game.

not to mention the complaint that always shows up in games within a series: it's either too samey or too different. Pick a side, people. We're at war.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #367 on: December 03, 2008, 08:28:02 PM
The funny thing is I didn't think Shadow's game was all that bad, although their advertising for it killed my childhood.  Wasn't great either, but it had its moments.  I loved Chaos Controlling through the final stage.  And Tails.......oh, my poor Tails... :'(

Hey, reviewers and fans didn't like Secret Rings either, and I loved the game.
Well, some reviewers liked it.  I did too, but I still think that it, like Shadow, has some critical flaws.  A lot of the game depends on track memorization with little to no reaction time afforded.  Still, solid title, and Darkspine Sonic kicked ass.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #368 on: December 03, 2008, 08:34:49 PM
The funny thing is I didn't think Shadow's game was all that bad, although their advertising for it killed my childhood.  Wasn't great either, but it had its moments.  I loved Chaos Controlling through the final stage.  And Tails.......oh, my poor Tails... :'(

Same here about Shadow. Didn't think it was abomination, but rather that it was an average platformer/shooter game with Sonic characters slapped on it. What could've fixed the gameplay, perhaps, was to have a certain button put you into a sorta aim mode, where you see a crossheir, the camera is stuck behind you making you slow down and be able to strafe normally, and can use guns effectively; instead, we're tagged with the gunplay being part of the normal platforming, and autoaim that decides everything is a target.  X(

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #369 on: December 03, 2008, 08:45:34 PM
I did too, but I still think that it, like Shadow, has some critical flaws.  A lot of the game depends on track memorization with little to no reaction time afforded.  Still, solid title, and Darkspine Sonic kicked ass.

My only two problems with the game were grinding and moving backwards.  Other than that, I had no issue with the game at all.  LoL, I mean, some of those "DON'T TOUCH THE PEARLS, DOUCHE!" levels could've probably been done easier if I had taken off the Speed Enhancements on the Ring...but that wasn't happening!  XD

That's funny, I was thinking the -speed- levels were horribly designed.  I'm actually finding the Werehog levels to be the -least- frustrating part of this game, and even they're starting to [acid burst] me off.

As for the game being too short with only the speed areas... maybe if Sonic Team weren't needlessly boosting Sonic's speed with every game, to the point where in Unleashed you can't even see any of the stage around you except for a colored blur, then maybe the game wouldn't be so [tornado fang]ing short.

Personally, and no offense, but all it takes for the speed levels are quick reaction times and trial & error, which is pretty much how most Sonic games have always been for me.  That's what I love about it so much, and why I thought the super speed was done so well. 

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #370 on: December 03, 2008, 08:52:07 PM
Ah yes, the "don't touch pearls" missions.  Those were so freaking evil...

Same here about Shadow. Didn't think it was abomination, but rather that it was an average platformer/shooter game with Sonic characters slapped on it. What could've fixed the gameplay, perhaps, was to have a certain button put you into a sorta aim mode, where you see a crossheir, the camera is stuck behind you making you slow down and be able to strafe normally, and can use guns effectively; instead, we're tagged with the gunplay being part of the normal platforming, and autoaim that decides everything is a target.  X(
I'm actually GLAD the gunplay was a tacked-on part of normal platforming because it prevents the feared over-focus, otherwise the star should have been some mech rather than Shadow.  What bugged me about Shadow The Hedgehog was the overly strict nature of some of the missions, which really bit you in the rear in those that required destroying EVERY SINGLE ONE of a particular enemy.  Made Chaos Control worthless if you weren't running for the goal.  My other big complaint is that last fork between the final stage and the bosses, doubling the number of times you have to replay the game to unlock the Last Story.  That was completely uncalled for, accomplished nothing, and only served to encourage boredom with the game.

Otherwise, Sega actually put together a half-decent platformer, which certainly beat the SH*#! out of Sonic Heroes.  Works for me.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #371 on: December 04, 2008, 12:01:25 AM
My other big complaint is that last fork between the final stage and the bosses, doubling the number of times you have to replay the game to unlock the Last Story.  That was completely uncalled for, accomplished nothing, and only served to encourage boredom with the game.

this is my main complaint with the game. having to beat every single branching path is a cheap way of lengthening the game's play time. i quit after the third path i beat. the platforming was alright, and using Chaos Control to breeze past stages does rock. but it's not something i'm going to play again. sold it back for a decent amount.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #372 on: December 05, 2008, 12:15:51 AM
I really wished that the game focused solely on Shadow with no involvement (although mentioned) from Sonic whatsoever! Why did [acid burst]s  put Sonic and friends in the game?! What did it have to contradict the events of SA2? I wished that they didn't put Sonic in this game at all in spite of the awesomeness of Darkspine Sonic. When will they release a game that centers around Tails or Knuckles or where is my sonic the hedgehog 4?

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #373 on: December 05, 2008, 12:21:49 AM
Huh? What does Darkspine Sonic have to do with Shadow the Hedgehog?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #374 on: December 05, 2008, 12:23:57 AM
Huh? What does Darkspine Sonic have to do with Shadow the Hedgehog?

More points to you for trying to decipher that post. :|