VixyNyan · 8029

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 01:00:26 AM
That's where I respect the translators.

Innuendos and jokes are hard to translate.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 01:13:51 AM
Personally, I prefer English since I'm too lazy to change the language settings if I'm given the option. That being said, if the English voice acting is god awful I'll either go with it or change the voices to Japanese. Usually it's the first option.

However, the little jokes and stuff is what makes me like translations. And if those can be voiced really well then it's funnier to me.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 01:16:53 AM
I think... There are only two games in which I liked full voice acting in my mother language. Those being Metal Gear Solid (The PSX original), and Lost Odyssey.

Offline Setsuna F. Seiei

• Neo Arcadian
  • 俺が, ガンダムだ!
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: December 14, 2008, 01:22:04 AM
Usually the Japanese dub. Especially in anime. But games as well.

keiji fujiwara as Axel >>>>> Raiden as Axel. (KH2)

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 01:33:01 AM
Usually, the JP dub is what I would prefer.

But that usually stems from playing Fighting Makes most of my life as a gamer, so it's to be expected.

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 01:45:12 AM
It doesn't matter to me either way as long as I understand what they're saying.

So usually English.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 01:47:00 AM
Oh god! Fighting games however MUST have japanese voice clips. And shitty quality too.

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 02:10:25 AM
well..it depends really...if english is good...then i stick with it....if english sucks...i choose japanese if there's an option for it...if no....then i have no choice but to play while suffering hearing those shitty voices.....

disgaea 2 had the worst dub ever in the NIS games i have ever played......i hate Overlord's Zeta dub...he sounds like a damn old overlord wannabe.....in makai kingdom...he's awesome...i like where he says.....well...dont remember...when he said go my fellow trusty worthy battle monkeys...or sumthin like that 8D

speaking of ZXA....albert's voice is awesome in english....more than the japanese version.....he's quote "i dont think im a god...i am a....god!!' is epic....the rest of the dub are mostly [parasitic bomb]....

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 02:42:54 AM
I was a huge fan of ZOE's Voice Acting in English.

"Use Power....For the RIGHT things!" 

Offline Shiki Tohno

• 直死の魔眼使い
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 「その首…俺が貰い受ける」
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: December 14, 2008, 03:48:16 AM
I'm with Sato; if the english voice acting is decent, or hilariously bad, I'll go with that (lookin' atcha, X7); in almost all other cases, give me my japanese. But when it comes to scripts, until I have enough knowledge of kanji to translate most of those that appear regularly in games, I'll go with english, ESPECIALLY if the translation's as awesome and well localized as that of the Ace Attorney games.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: December 14, 2008, 03:49:25 AM
Actually, after thinking more, I like my VA in Spanish.

...Wait no, that's only when it comes to Spanish TV like Telemundo.  [tornado fang], those women are hot....

Offline vile mk4

• Robot Master
  • Muchah muchah , muchah much.. KI KIRI KI CHIIiii
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: December 14, 2008, 11:40:50 AM
Spanish.

If the voice acting is bad it will be hilarious. If not, well fine.

...Wait no, that's only when it comes to Spanish TV like Telemundo.  [tornado fang], those women are hot....

The good thing about living in the third world, hot women everywhere. Every corner. Har har har.

MATA DA CAFEE, MATA DE CAFEE FEE FEEE FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !! AYHOYY AYHOY TE DERETETETEEE TE TERETETETETE REE TE TEEE AYHOYY AYHOY

FEEEVEEEER ...DON DONDON DONDON.... PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PON pon pon pon PON PON PONPON pon pon ponpon PONPON PON PON ponpon pon pon PONPONPON pon pon pon PONPATAPON ponpatapon PONPONPATAPONPONPON ponponpataponponpon NOOOOS QUEDAAAAAMOOOOOSSSS uhHIUP  ** PLOP **

BOM BOM BOM bom bom bom BOM BOM BOMBOM bom bom bombom ...AH, [tornado fang] THE WOOD, I DON NEED IT, LET'S KILL DODONGA AGAIN

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: December 14, 2008, 07:59:10 PM
English, so I can understand what they're saying. That, and it's my mother tongue. VA's don't usually bother me, unless it's a cringe-worthy dub (funny, yeah, but ultimately I find it grating).

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #38 on: December 14, 2008, 09:44:31 PM
Maya eating Hamburgers in the English versions proves that change. ^^
My personal favorite, which also proves this point excellently, was:
"SuPer-Admin Restricted Desktop Access password-protected? What!? This is madness!"
"No, Maya, that's SPARDA."

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: December 14, 2008, 09:56:10 PM

CALIENTEEEEEEeeee--
Wait, I'm getting off track here. They do take good care of their bodies, though (that or the tan hides most blemishes).

Anyway, when it comes to voicing and dialogue in games, I prefer a good, basic approach. Something like Starfox 64 or a select few Action RPGs. Many JRPGs (for recent examples, Infinite Undiscovery and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion) try hard to deliver fleshed-out lines of dialogue, but mouth movements and body fluidity in addition to rushed VA's and other graphical limitations, just wind up killing the mood of the entire approach.

I'd rather have fewer, more meaningful lines in games. If Final Fantasy Tactics 1 ever got voice acting, it'd be unstoppable. Games that also have a wide variety of characterizations (like Paper Mario and Kingdom Hearts) deserve voice acting. You could read the lines, but it simply doesn't do the cast justice.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: December 14, 2008, 10:05:35 PM
Japanese Command Mission has to be better in Japanese since chances are it doesn't have this Axl line in it, "Zero you mean THE Zero?".

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #41 on: December 14, 2008, 10:39:16 PM
Japanese Command Mission has to be better in Japanese since chances are it doesn't have this Axl line in it, "Zero you mean THE Zero?".

I think stuff like that usually winds up on YouTube Poop. speaking of which, the three Zelda CDi games and the Hotel Mario game would be very funny to hear in japanese.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #42 on: December 14, 2008, 11:19:37 PM
Well, the intro video definitely is.  But for the rest of the game I'll take english, 'cuz Lucas's delivery on "You're finished!" is worth it alone.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: December 15, 2008, 12:54:14 AM
English, unless the voices are shitty (SHTH, MMX7) Then Japanese (Or, in the case of SHTH, Muted.).

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 12:54:42 AM
JRPGs
Oblivion

wat

You're mixing those two together. It's a Western MMORPG. o.o

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008, 12:56:04 AM
JRPGs (for recent examples, Infinite Undiscovery and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion)

I lol'ed.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 12:58:40 AM
Oblivion is a CRPG.

That's 'Crap RPG'.

Offline Flok

• Passionate Gamer
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Killsringman
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: December 16, 2008, 05:52:38 PM
I still can remember how Final Fantasy X was announced to have voice acting in it years ago. I obviously know that the game was not the first to do so, and yet it remains in my mind as a memorable one.

I prefer English of course, and then anything else. Like in the latest Castlevania games such as Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia, a Japanese voice acting option is available. In the Super Smash. Bros serie, atleast in Yurop versions, there are German/Italian/Spanish/French voice acting available, with noting difference between the game announcers, Jigglypuff and other miscellaneous things.

Flok's favorites:

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: July 21, 2009, 05:00:52 AM
When you play a game, watch a movie or/and an anime, in what language would you listen it to? How would you like your characters portrayed like? Look, stupid obvious question cause I know everyone's gonna say English, but let's say you its for artistic or [insert scenario] reasons.

For example, when I'm playing Mega Man X7, I usually dialog track to Japanese because sometimes I really do find the English dub track to be that god awful.  I mean in MMX7, I'll bring out one line for you to sum it up: "BURN BURN BURN TO THE GROUND!!! BURN BURN BURN TO THE GROUND!!!" I mute the TY just so I can survive the terror.

In Anime, I would go for the if-available Japanese track, except for one particular show, Yu Yu Hakusho. Yusuke Urameshi's English VA, Justin Cook, really does know how to freaking do his job as an artist, that's all that has to be said. Plus the Opening and Ending songs sound awesome in English, IMO. I actually prefer YYH in English.

I actually watched a lot of movies in Spanish before, especially Holes and Bolt. For some reason, watching Holes is a lot more enjoyable in Spanish. =P

If you're wondering why I even ask you of this, is because recently I put together a video of Resident Evil about its unused Japanese dialogue track. At first, upon hearing the pieces of the JP track without the scenes, it wasn't very "cool", but then I spliced together scenes from the game with the unused track. To my surprise, the JP voices seemed more "natural" with the characters movement, and the intensity of the cut-scenes, especially Jill IMO. I mean, I know how god-awful and intentionally cheesy the dialogue is, hell I'm a fan of the Jill Sandwich, but I just couldn't stand hearing...

Enrico: Is that Jill?
Jill: Is that voice Enrico's?
Enrico: Yeah?
Jill: Your ALIVE!

What the f*/k? HE'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, YOU DUMB BROAD!!

And...

Barry: "WHAT! WHAT IS THIS?"
(There's a puddle of a red liquid in front of Jill and Barry)
Jill: "What is it?"
Barry: "BLOOD."

No Barry, it's spilled Tomato Soup. =P

Ah, what the hell. I love this game's dialogue XD. I wonder how things would have sounded in Japanese.

It's interesting how the characters are portrayed in other languages. Discuss.