At The Movies With RPM

Protoman Blues · 208834

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #850 on: April 27, 2013, 03:21:16 PM

EDIT: Also, Talia really comes right the [tornado fang] out of nowhere. Her purpose is literally just to be "WHAT A TWEEST". She appears literally for no other purpose than to do that, then die. I found Bane to be much better than I expected, but then he wasn't even the true mastermind, and flushed all that down the toilet. AND was dispatched like any other mook. (after having been revealed to be just a mook, essentially.) The [tornado fang].

Exactly why this wasn't nearly as good as the previous two. Bane being just some henchman was hugely underwhelming. And the new Batman... I don't approve.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #851 on: April 27, 2013, 06:12:00 PM
I just don't buy that Bruce would just quit and run away. That's just not what was established as his character in the last two movies.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #852 on: April 29, 2013, 08:51:17 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zA92Rw6kNWw[/youtube]

SWEET MERCIFUL [tornado fang], JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!!  0v0  0v0  0v0

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #853 on: April 29, 2013, 09:03:29 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zA92Rw6kNWw[/youtube]

SWEET MERCIFUL [tornado fang], JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!!  0v0  0v0  0v0

Boat Sword. My body was not ready.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #854 on: May 09, 2013, 04:26:53 AM
Went to the theater and saw Iron Man 3.

HUGE improvement from Iron Man 2. Hell, even better than the first film, dare I say nearly on par with THE AVENGERS.

Iron Man 3 has a shitload of cinematic action sequences, and very well choreographed too. Better than most super hero films, I'd say. Plenty of witty humor, although a couple moments were put in odd places given that something shocking happened towards the ending. I really liked how Tony had to go back to his roots, fight his inner demons and rise back on top.

Now, one [tornado fang]ing nagging thing in this movie: MANDARIN. He started off pretty awesome. One scene in particular, I felt Ben Kingsley pulled off really well, and it gave me chills. But let me tell you: DO NOT GET YOUR HOPES UP FOR MANDARIN. Seriously, I can't forgive them for the bullshit they pulled with him. I can't say any more without majorly spoiling it, but many will agree he is the worst part of the film, despite Ben Kingsley's great acting talent.

Anyway, Mandarin disappointment aside, extremely fantastic Iron Man trilogy conclusion and best to date. I will be sure to buy the blu-ray as soon as it's available.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #855 on: May 09, 2013, 04:45:39 AM
You just did it today as well?

Really, I thought Mandarin worked out.
[spoiler=Seriously, don't read unless you've seen the [tornado fang]ing film]Then again, I wasn't really on board with the whole "Look at me I'm a Terrorist" thing, so him turning out to be a goofy actor worked in my eyes.[/spoiler]

But other than that, really did enjoy the film. It looks and plays out so nicely.
Also, for the love of god, don't spoil yourself, the movie is too good for that.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #856 on: May 09, 2013, 04:57:27 AM
Well, let's just say that the role was cast correctly, and not the character.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #857 on: May 09, 2013, 05:02:54 AM
Really, I thought Mandarin worked out.
[spoiler=Seriously, don't read unless you've seen the [tornado fang]ing film]Then again, I wasn't really on board with the whole "Look at me I'm a Terrorist" thing, so him turning out to be a goofy actor worked in my eyes.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
The Mandarin is portrayed as a genius scientist and a superhumanly skilled martial artist. However, his primary sources of power are ten power rings that he adapted from the alien technology of a crashed space ship. Each ring has a different power and is worn on a specific finger.

That's
how Mandarin is supposed to be. And going by Thor, Avengers etc., this film should be no stranger to the above description.

But that aside, I personally felt the terrorist thing worked well. Sure, he may have looked a bit silly, but I was hoping to see a serious threat from him like Loki's army from Avengers.[/spoiler]

They made such a big deal about him in the trailers and then we got... this.

Offline megaman24681012

• Toa of Ice
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Shoulda chose a better name.
    • View Profile
Reply #858 on: May 09, 2013, 05:16:39 AM
[spoiler]
That's
how Mandarin is supposed to be. And going by Thor, Avengers etc., this film should be no stranger to the above description.

But that aside, I personally felt the terrorist thing worked well. Sure, he may have looked a bit silly, but I was hoping to see a serious threat from him like Loki's army from Avengers.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Well, in the movie Killian set up The Mandarin as a big deal and conceal the truth he himself was the actual bad guy. To the American public, The Mandarin was expected to be some big deal. Sound familiar? The Director and studio wanted the audience to feel the same way as the government in Ironman 3 by advertising The Mandarin as the big bad and barely even show Killian in the trailer.[/spoiler]

Kopaka: "That leaves you and I, Tahu Nuva."
Tahu: "No. That leaves only me."

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #859 on: May 09, 2013, 05:18:05 AM
[spoiler]
That's

Oh, okay. I don't follow the comics so I didn't know the character beforehand.

Still, movie was great, lots of fun.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #860 on: May 09, 2013, 05:26:39 AM
[spoiler]Well, in the movie Killian set up The Mandarin as a big deal and conceal the truth he himself was the actual bad guy. To the American public, The Mandarin was expected to be some big deal. Sound familiar? The Director and studio wanted the audience to feel the same way as the government in Ironman 3 by advertising The Mandarin as the big bad and barely even show Killian in the trailer.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah, I understand Killian's reason for creating "Mandarin". But I'm saying it was a idiotic move, considering it was a smack in the face to comic fans.

Don't get me wrong, plot-wise it works. But considering that the Mandarin is one of Tony's biggest [tornado fang]ing threats in the comics, they literally took that respect and admiration that people had for him and threw it out the window.[/spoiler]

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #861 on: May 17, 2013, 04:01:42 AM
Went to see Star Trek into Darkness today.

[spoiler]Yeah, its Wrath of Khan in some ways, minus Genesis stuff.[/spoiler]

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #862 on: May 17, 2013, 09:52:18 AM
Went to see Star Trek Into Darkness tonight.

On the Imax.

With Wookieepedia's co-founder.

Oh yes, us Wookieepedians like us some JJ Abrams.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #863 on: May 28, 2013, 04:57:07 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=frFH-3532jo[/youtube]

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!  0v0  0v0

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #864 on: May 28, 2013, 05:28:01 AM
It looks like it may even surpass the Avengers. Really can't wait and see if it does.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #865 on: June 16, 2013, 09:46:37 AM
Above every other movie this year, I want it to be good. Pacific Rim will give me Giant Robots vs. Giant Monsters, so I'm okay with that either way. Star Trek Into Darkness, despite the total lack of plot or story, was still enjoyable cause it was fun & action-y. But this, this I really want to be good.

Posted on: May 27, 2013, 09:52:42 PM
So I saw Man of Steel tonight.

Now I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews of this movie. Some people like it and some people hate it. The problem of trying to restart a franchise like this is that it is always going to be compared to the original, cause many people have fond memories of Christopher Reeves as the big blue boy scout. Personally, I'm not a fan of those movies at all. While I love Reeves as Supes, I did not like the rest of the cast at all. I found Kidder annoying as Lois, I did not like Hackman as Luthor. The tone of the movie jumps all over the place, from serious to funny to goofy funny to serious to funny to nuclear disaster to absurd to Lois dying to spinning around the Earth and so on and so forth. Even so a lot of people, without jumping on how it doesn't have the levity of the first one, did not like the movie for reasons like how it had no soul or there was no character and many other reasons. Myself?

I liked it. I liked it a lot actually.

I'll admit that the story is very comic book-y. Being that it's a comic book movie though, I can easily let that slide. But all the critical reviews, all the people talking about this are trying to convey what the message of Superman is. They talk about protecting people, collateral damage, savior, and so on and so forth and a lot of the negative reviews seem to feel that it doesn't feel like Superman. To me this movie above any other, captures what I believe to be the true message of Superman.

Good parenting.

Superman, to me, is more about what both his biological & foster parents did for him. Jor-El and Lara save his life from Krypton's destruction and the Kents raise him to be who he is, and it shows in this movie. It's funny, cause one of the main things I keep reading in both the good reviews and the bad are how awesome the Kents are in this movie. And they are. And it shows. Costner and Lane do a magnificent job as Mr. & Mrs. Kent. Crowe does a pretty great job as Jor-El. And it is in that in which I got the Superman movie I've always wanted to see, complete with special effects that made me feel truly young. Not even the kick ass fight scenes, but just him flying. I came out of the theater just looking into the night sky and wishing I could do what I just saw.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #866 on: June 16, 2013, 09:59:22 AM
I'm gonna see Man of Steel with my bro in the coming days hopefully.

I'll post my thoughts then.

BTW, did you see Iron Man 3 yet, PB?

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #867 on: June 16, 2013, 10:17:06 AM
Yeah, I saw Iron Man 3 XD

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #868 on: June 16, 2013, 10:25:20 AM
[spoiler]Real quick, I'm curious what you thought of the Mandarin twist. As I posted earlier in this thread, I explained how I was disappointed in that reveal.[/spoiler]

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #869 on: June 16, 2013, 10:29:44 AM
[spoiler]It's funny. I can totally understand why so many Iron Man fans, especially quite a few of my friends, were very upset by that twist. Personally, I thought it was extremely bold of them to do it and I enjoyed it immensely. I liked the message behind why it was done. I thought it added to the movie and what the guy wanted to accomplish.

Having said that, I have other issues with the movie. I don't think he's in the suit enough. Also, my main gripe is at the end when he gets the magnet & shrapnel out of his chest. My first thought when I saw that was... "WAIT....THAT WAS A [tornado fang]ing OPTION?" because it completely makes the 2nd movie pointless. Absolutely pointless. [/spoiler]

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #870 on: June 16, 2013, 11:02:06 AM
Damn, I was in the middle of posting a fairly huge argument about why he shouldn't be in his suit often, but I think you're right...

[spoiler]As for the shrapnel thing, yeah, that felt like cop out to me. It didn't really bother me much, however. Probably because the Mandarin twist was just too disappointing to me.

Like I posted before, I do understand that the twist does work and it is pretty genius. But I still would've far preferred the original Mandarin origin.[/spoiler]

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #871 on: June 16, 2013, 11:24:52 AM
[spoiler]I had a friend who was pissed about the shrapnel thing. Kept yelling THERE'S NO MORE IRON MAN HE CAN'T BE IRON MAN ANYMORE WITHOUT THAT and it was really annoying.

But really, he had the remote-controlled suits working just fine independently of the arc reactor in his chest. He doesn't need those to suit up again (something he'll surely do; I mean, he can always build more)[/spoiler]

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #872 on: June 16, 2013, 06:18:17 PM
[spoiler]Yeah, he destroyed all of his suits so he could start a clean slate. I personally loved that.

I mean, I don't think his new suits will be much different from the others. But I love how metophorical it is.[/spoiler]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #873 on: June 17, 2013, 02:20:15 AM
Saw Man of Steel.

Loved it. I'd agree with PB. The Kents and the Els were nailed perfectly. I can see where people complained about collateral damage, but lets be honest. Someone like Superman doesn't CHOOSE where to fight. He can't. Considering they are adding realism to Superhero movies these days, it makes more sense that some collateral damage will happen. that's life.

but in the end, I really liked it. if there's any gripes I have, they really are just gripes and nothing major.

10/10

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #874 on: June 17, 2013, 02:49:03 AM
[spoiler]Yeah, he destroyed all of his suits so he could start a clean slate. I personally loved that.

I mean, I don't think his new suits will be much different from the others. But I love how metophorical it is.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]yeah, a clean slate free of ego, free of doing what he wants... because that life almost killed the person he loved

also pepper better get a suit of her own. we need rescue up in here[/spoiler]

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything