Sonic and the Black Knight

Klavier Gavin · 77786

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #450 on: March 09, 2009, 02:08:38 AM
Wa...WAS THAT "What I'm Made of"?!!!! O_O

It's in the music rip. Along with other themes and stages from previous games.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #451 on: March 09, 2009, 04:35:04 AM
Boy, they're really beating the fanservice horse on this one just to hide how weak the overall presentation is.

Shame the legacy stages seem to only use those hover bots and... nothing more. Also the homing attack looks slow and clumsy.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #452 on: March 09, 2009, 04:39:58 AM
Well thanks to my good Ninja buddy, I got a chance to play this game today.  Honestly...I liked it.  It was a lot of fun.  Short, since I don't have the chance to do everything due to having to give it back to him by tomorrow, but fun nonetheless.   

#1. Gameplay. I was right.  Some demos just aren't calibrated well, or properly handled well, or something, because the controls were definitely much smoother and not as frustrating as they were when I played it at the Comic Con.  If anything, it's making me contemplate trying the Sonic 06 game, as the demo turned me off from that game as well, due to its annoying & frustrating controls.  LoL, yeah the Sword is gimmicky, but it talked with a snooty attitude, much like KITT from Knight Rider.  Shadow, Knuckles, and Blaze all handled pretty decently too, after a bit of Trial & Error!  Ironically enough, I actually preferred the Secret Rings controls.

#2. Enjoyment. I'll admit, I probably didn't enjoy this game as much as Sonic & the Secret Rings, or even Sonic Unleashed.  Keeping with the Storybook aspect was fine, and I really had no issues control or story wise.  The problem was in the lack of customization, like Secret Rings had.  Granted, they keep some of the same abilities that Secret Rings had, but they're separated by Styles, being Knight, Paladin, and Cavalier.  I prefer being able to choose each individual Power Up, rather than have it separated this way.

#3. Soundtrack.  I'll admit, I do so love the Knight of the Wind song by Crush 40.  It might even be my favorite song of theirs up to this point.  However, the soundtrack in Secret Rings is much better.  I'm not saying that I didn't like this soundtrack, but I still think the other was better and had more creative songs.

So, overall, I had fun playing it.  I thought Excalibur Sonic looked bad-ass, I thought the boss fights were fun, and overall I'd probably like to own it eventually, when I have mon-ay.  Not my favorite of 3D Sonic games, but in no means would I spit on it and toss it in the sewer.  I'm still a fan of the Sonic Storybook Series, the Triple S or S Cubed if you will.  If they made another SSS game, I'd probably enjoy it too. 

So, in the spirit of confusing reviewing, I give it 3 Shades and 2 Glasses of Mango Lemonade!   8D

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #453 on: March 09, 2009, 05:31:11 AM
Hey, confusing reviewing or not, you gave it Mango Lemonade, so that must mean it's something good XD

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #454 on: March 09, 2009, 05:41:22 AM
What's funny is that I confused my own rating system!  It was suppose to be 2 Shades and 3 Glasses of Mango Lemonade.  Shades represent how good I think the game actually is, and Mango Lemonade represents my actual enjoyment of the game, whether good or bad.  So, it should be:

2 out of 4 Shades & 3 out of 4 Glasses of Mango Lemonade!   8D

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #455 on: March 09, 2009, 05:44:57 AM
lol XD

My point stands anyways =P

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #456 on: March 11, 2009, 01:18:52 AM
I love this game too! And another cool feature about this game is the "Legacy" stages! 8)

Sonic and the Black Knight: Legacy Stage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8VThRY8NgA

Yet they still kept the sword, which is kinda funny.
Well, there go my last doubts about buying it, because NO WAY IN HELL am I passing up the chance to play an action stage with What I'm Made Of.

The only question now is when I have the money/whether I'm patient enough to wait for the inevitable price drop.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #457 on: March 11, 2009, 06:12:52 AM
I jus played this too... it was all right I guess, nothing fantastic but not really bad either nya ^^

at least I finally have my knight of the wind full version mp3 >w<

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #458 on: March 18, 2009, 12:48:14 AM
As do I.

I gotta say, PB isn't kidding.  The full version ROCKS ALL FREAKING SOCKS.  All the more reason why the absence of it in the game's final battle is utterly blasphemous.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #459 on: March 18, 2009, 02:38:17 AM
Go nuts. There's only five up, but I assume they'll add the rest and update the tracks when the album comes out next month.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #460 on: March 20, 2009, 01:43:18 AM
Finally got my hands on the game.  I'm actually enjoying it more than Sonic Unleashed so far...

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline TAoR

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #461 on: March 22, 2009, 11:01:17 PM
So it's actually a good game? That's surprising. Who'd have thought they could go two in a row.

I guess I'll have to get this.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #462 on: March 23, 2009, 04:20:07 AM
I wish Sonicteam would put all that effort from their storybook series into the mainstream games.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #463 on: March 23, 2009, 04:31:24 AM
I wish Sonicteam would put all that effort from their storybook series into the mainstream games.

...Lets...not go crazy now.  Mind you, I'm a fan of the Storybook series, but still, they need to go back to the Sonic CD philosophy ([tornado fang] yeah, I rhymed)!  :D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #464 on: March 25, 2009, 02:17:09 AM
I'm more of a "S3&K philosophy" man myself, but yeah.

Offline TAoR

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #465 on: March 25, 2009, 02:43:34 AM
Oh yes. I want Sonic games to go back to the good old days of 5% story and 95% awesome 2D gameplay.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #466 on: March 27, 2009, 12:39:08 PM
Unfortunately, the best we're going to get in that regard are constant "classic game" collections or the games being in various SEGA game collections, and the lesser-liked newer series that take their place like Rivals or Rush.  :(

This makes me realize - the first Sonic Advance was pretty damn awesome.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #467 on: March 27, 2009, 04:24:39 PM
Well, to be honest I didn't the Genesis games even had a story but it was nevertheless present.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #468 on: March 27, 2009, 09:54:00 PM
Assuming I actually wish to play as Sonic, I vastly prefer Rush/Rush Adventure.  The problem is I am a gi-hugic Tails fan.

Damn you, Dimps! >_<

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #469 on: March 28, 2009, 12:46:37 AM

This is true. While not "perfect", the first Advance game was basically a good continuation of where Dimps started with "Sonic Pocket Adventure" (Neo Geo Pocket Color). As far as "modern Sonic" offerings go, Advance was probably the closest we'll ever get to anything approaching the 16-bit era's goodness.

...Too bad it, too, wouldn't last.  ;O;

To this day, I'm convinced that, if Dimps had been allowed/encouraged to continue more in the vein of Advance the first, they probably would have crafted a CD/3&K-quality Sonic game by now. But nooooo...some where along the line, they (or, rather, probably some one at Sega/Sonic Team themselves) got the "bright idea" that all we cared about was speed in Sonic games. That's why we got Advance 2 being the way it was, which has now only being continued through the Rush games.

They had a decent going with the first game, and it was squandered...just another example of the injustice that has been dealt this series...right up there with the notion that we never got a sequel to Sonic Championship/Fighters from AM2...  ;O;

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #470 on: March 28, 2009, 02:16:36 AM
they probably would have crafted a CD/3&K-quality Sonic game by now
Impossible.  You cannot craft an S3&K quality game without Super Sonic in stage replays.  And for some reason Sega considers that a forbidden practice now.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #471 on: March 28, 2009, 04:31:14 PM
Impossible.  You cannot craft an S3&K quality game without Super Sonic in stage replays.  And for some reason Sega considers that a forbidden practice now.

Of course, that is why the games suck now!  :o The lack of replayable Super Sonic, it so obvious!

Offline Legendary

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #472 on: March 28, 2009, 05:53:20 PM
Really? I thought it had more to do with Shad-err...the great "WHO I AM", as well as the attempts to keep shoving more and more people in every game. And generally having these people being somewhat unlikable. I mean, I'm just now warming up to Silver of all people. It's been, what, 2 and a half years?

I guess replayable Super Sonic would help...I actually think Unleashed got it right. You know, daylight-wise.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #473 on: March 28, 2009, 10:14:45 PM
Oddly enough I actually have a decent respect for Shadow The Hedgehog.  I mean, be honest, it is the *ONE* game where any ridiculous gimmick thrown in didn't put the usual gameplay on a screeching halt (therefore nicely contradicting developer interviews that a back-to-basics 3D Sonic is too resource-heavy to develop).  The shooting, if it MUST be present, was treated as it should be: a tacked on extra.  The game was still at its core a platformer with simplistic controls and cool bosses, and that's what a hedgehog game should be.

The problem is they botched the mission setup.  Several enemy-hunts are overly strict and just plain not fun, and that last boss fork, resulting in ten endings, is utterly inexcusable.  Unfortunately, that means you'll be damn sick of the game by the time you unlock the Last Story (which is a shame, because the final stage is awesome, Chaos Controlling through otherwise impossible areas).

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #474 on: March 28, 2009, 10:20:59 PM
Yeah, I played STH so much that by the time i'd unlocked Last Story, I was pretty burned out. The Sonic X voicecast didn't make things much better. I still found the game to be decent, but some missions were an absolute terror to play through - which makes getting to the Last Story that much more difficult when you need to go along a certain alignment path to reach a specific ending.

I still think the True Hero final boss fight leads into Last Story the best, though.