Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 275100

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
http://nintendo3dsblog.com/capcom-talks-about-resident-evil-revelations-demonstrates-their-mt-framework

[spoiler]

Capcom uses their own set of technologies known as the MT Framework to allow them to easily port games between hardware. The fact that it’s compatible with the Nintendo 3DS could make you wonder, was Resident Evil: Revelations  destined for another platform at some point? Has it just been moved over at the last minute? But alas, wonder no more! Jun Takeuchi, Capcom’s head of production, has confirmed in an interview that “[Revelations] is a completely new project that we started up after hearing about the 3DS. It’s not a project that was progressing on separate hardware and was moved to the 3DS.”

And, just in case your still doubtful that the current footage of Revelations is not rendered in real time, Takeuchi shares that “the images since the game’s E3 unveiling have all been real time rendered on the 3DS development hardware. It seems as though people didn’t believe us at first, but we’d like you to know that the 3DS is capable of this level of expressive power.”

It’s also confirmed that Nintendo has actually “forbade developers from sharing final graphics specs for the 3DS” but Capcom were still able to share insight into their own technologies, including a nice batch of screenshots that show Resident Evil: Revelations with and without various features (such as HDR, color correction and motion blur) turned on. Check them out after the break.[/spoiler]

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
I'm actually shocked that I didn't link to the Andriasang version of that same article in the OP. XD

But yes, that's what was being referenced in the quotes up there about what Capcom has accomplished here.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
It's nice that they stepped up to the plate to clear up the confusion about that trailer.  I'm not sure where the claims of it being pre-rendered came from; it always struck me as looking sloppy by FMV standards.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
It's nice that they stepped up to the plate to clear up the confusion about that trailer.  I'm not sure where the claims of it being pre-rendered came from; it always struck me as looking sloppy by FMV standards.

Perhaps since this looked massively more detailed than Kid Icarus, they expected the graphics to be around that level. (i also thought it was pre-rendered at first. watching it over and over again, i then realized it was real time) Especially looking at Revelations as well as DOA, i do hope Kid Icarus improves a lot visually later on in development.

But honestly if it doesn't, it wouldn't make me any less excited for it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
I recall some interview with Sakurai which implied that the 3DS specs were not finalized when Kid Icarus started development, merely that he was told he'd be working with a "more powerful DS".

Even so, I think a lot of the difference is art style.  Kid Icarus is more anime-ish while RE and DOA are more realistic.  My understanding is that the 3DS's GPU has a boatload of features to aid in realistic lighting/shading.  Looking closely, you can spot imperfections in the actual shapes of the models in something like the RE trailer, and these are likely more apparent in anime-style shading.

But to be honest I think Kid Icarus's visuals are looking pretty awesome.  Crisp colors, long draw distance, lovely environments, and the general style IMHO kicks the crap out of the OoT remake screenshots that were released.

Plus, Medusa looks dead sexy. 8)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Yeaaaah, Medusa's pretty hot!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
But to be honest I think Kid Icarus's visuals are looking pretty awesome.  Crisp colors, long draw distance, lovely environments, and the general style IMHO kicks the crap out of the OoT remake screenshots that were released.

While i do agree that the areas look great, i still think that he could have easily ported Pit's exact model from Brawl. We all know the 3DS is capable. It does look like the Brawl model obviously, but you can tell that he appears to be a bit more "blocky" compared to that; not the quality they used for Wii. Either way, it's a small complaint.

As for the OoT remake, yeah, it looks generally like a slightly updated version of the original. But, who knows how things will change in the end.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
While i do agree that the areas look great, i still think that he could have easily ported Pit's exact model from Brawl. We all know the 3DS is capable. It does look like the Brawl model obviously, but you can tell that he appears to be a bit more "blocky" compared to that; not the quality they used for Wii. Either way, it's a small complaint.

I think this might be more due to the 3DS' polygon limit considering all the other geometry going on in game. I get the feeling that Sakurai (and other Nintendo devs) are going to have to step their game up on what a good use of shaders can do for their games (especially ones where they have avatar characters) because excellent modelling won't be enough if they still want to maintain a good level of complexity in game.

Offline Shinigami No Tekken

• RPM's resident kid-on-the-old-man's-lawn.
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Well, from what I've seen on the 3DS, it seems to be a kickass, almost godly handheld that I will want forever but in the end never be able to afford.

Oh well. It's nice to look at.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Can I post this here?

http://www.talesunion.com/news/tales-of-the-abyss-3ds-announced--1296.html

[spoiler]Namco Bandai has announced that they will be bringing Tales of the Abyss to the Nintendo 3DS in 2011, which has now been reported on by a variety of different sources.

Tales of the Abyss was originally released on the PlayStation 2 on December 15, 2005 and was localized in North America on October 10, 2006. The game was regarded as an improvement over Tales of Symphonia, extending that game's 3-line battle system into a battle system which allows players to freely move about the field in battle.

The news first broke when Famitsu put up a list of Nintendo 3DS titles, which included Tales of the Abyss. Many were unsure if it was a mistake until NBGI's webmaster sent out a tweet confirming the game and tentative 2011 release date.

4Gamer.net has put up some screenshots of the game, which look near identical to the game, albeit at a smaller resolution. No word has been given on an North American or European release of the title.[/spoiler]

Offline Shinigami No Tekken

• RPM's resident kid-on-the-old-man's-lawn.
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Can I post this here?

http://www.talesunion.com/news/tales-of-the-abyss-3ds-announced--1296.html

[spoiler]Namco Bandai has announced that they will be bringing Tales of the Abyss to the Nintendo 3DS in 2011, which has now been reported on by a variety of different sources.

Tales of the Abyss was originally released on the PlayStation 2 on December 15, 2005 and was localized in North America on October 10, 2006. The game was regarded as an improvement over Tales of Symphonia, extending that game's 3-line battle system into a battle system which allows players to freely move about the field in battle.

The news first broke when Famitsu put up a list of Nintendo 3DS titles, which included Tales of the Abyss. Many were unsure if it was a mistake until NBGI's webmaster sent out a tweet confirming the game and tentative 2011 release date.

4Gamer.net has put up some screenshots of the game, which look near identical to the game, albeit at a smaller resolution. No word has been given on an North American or European release of the title.[/spoiler]

OH THANKS A LOT DUDE. NOW I'M FORCED TO GET ONE.

Offline Ike-Mike

• Protoman: "Nein!"
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Or maybe, just maybe, Sakurai is compensating polygons so the screen can be chock-full with enemies at any given time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I skimmed the thread, so maybe I missed it, but I herd there was sum price here? o3o

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
International prices haven't been announced yet, but the Japanese price is set at 25,000 yen (roughly 300 bucks).

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
It should be noted that 25,000 yen is the same price that the Wii launched at, but the yen has a stronger exchange rate now than it did back then. (in 2006, $1 got you almost 120 yen; today it gets you less than 90)

EDITS 10/29: To further the point, Nintendo's financial reports for this console generation tend to cite the weak yen as good news and strong yen as bad.  So, yeah, they don't seem to be in the practice of making overseas markets pay for (or discount from) fickle exchange rates.  I think a U.S. price tag of $250 is extremely likely.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:30:51 AM by Hypershell »

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Then I imagine the price of the 3DS in America will wind up being $249.99, same as the Wii.

Nintendo does have a habit of keeping the same price point for their console releases in the US... everything from the NES to the Gamecube was $199.99, then they took it up to $249 for the Wii so they could actually turn a profit on the thing.  So $249 for the 3DS seems likely.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8BWvgtqDUw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W68CPInmYc[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTvILc4Zygk[/youtube]

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Oh my car. The 3DS looks very very shiny,or is it just covered in something? Even without the 3D on, the 3DS is a mighty fine feat to behold, but boy do I hope that Revelations won´t be too much like the first games. It doesen´t seem like that at least.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
(No sound)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3azFRhOPsw&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Nice how they tried to emulate the Wii shop channel look.

At the Nintendo Conference, Iwata had said that the new shopping interface would offer a smoother overall experience and would also combine sales and promotions in one system. If this were Wii, it would be like combining Wii Shopping Channel and Everyone's Nintendo Channel in one. The result is that 3DS users will be able to enjoy window shopping, something that Nintendo feels will help support download sales.

As the demonstration video played during today's conference, Iwata noted some of the primary features. When you start up the shop, you can now select to visit "racks" corresponding to different themes. On each rack, you'll find software that fits the theme.

Select a game, and you'll be able to see details, view movies, download a demo and see the opinion of other players. Select to see the software details and, similar to the Everyone's Nintendo Channel on Wii, you'll get a description, play status and other info. You'll also be able to jump directly to the game's home page.

Outside of the various themed ranks, the shop will also have a section where games are listed in order of latest releases and most popular, and search functionality. Players will also be able to cast recommendation votes for games.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Nintendo Channel built into the shop?  Awesome, says I!

(And yeah, axing the 4-second lag at every page turn would help immensely, too, but we'll see if that runs in practice the way it does in the demo.)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Revelations & Mercenaries 3D scans

[spoiler]Revelations:

- 20% Complete
- Still TBA
- Takes place on a ship near Europe - the game's overall setting.
- Takes place Between RE4 and RE5 - (around 2005 - probably before Degeneration)
- Will feature other BSAA members
- More horror elements
- Much Emphasis will placed on fear and suspense
- Limited ammo, "true survival horror", more puzzles and exploration
- In terms of story, the game is being designed for new comers, but it wont be completely unrelated to the past titles.

Mercenaries:

Also new for the game is a character customization system. You'll be able to build up your character like in an RPG. Details are a bit sparse on this area, but it looks like you'll be able to set your character with skills, which will level up. You'll also be able to customize weapons.

Currently confirmed for playable appearance in the game are Chris Redfield, Claire Redfield, Jack Krauser and Hunk.

Chris's model is based off his Resident Evil 5 model. Claire, making her first Mercenaries appearance, serves as a contrasting character to Chris. While Chris is powerful, Claire uses her nimbleness to her advantage. She's shown in Famitsu's screens using a weapon with a laser site, which could mean that less experienced players will have an easier time using her.

Jack is good with archery and rocket launcher weapons, and also uses a knife for close combat. Kawata described him as a power character, with high attack and defensive strength. Hunk, while a soldier like Krauser, has a style that's more focused on balance rather than power.[/spoiler]

When i think about it, there should really be a RE thread.

EDIT: Clean screens of both games

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Limited ammo didn't make me one bit more scared in RE4, it just frustrated me because I knew I was 100% screwed through no fault of my own if I didn't get a random drop real soon now.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
"Ammo" always bothers me in shooters.  Of course, I'm sure the rest of the world doesn't consider infinite twin rocket launchers the only way to play the N64 Goldeneye, but what can I say? 8D

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
http://www.gamrade.com/article-425-1.html

Cartridges will have a size between 1 GB and 8 GB. GIGA BYTE! :3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
http://www.gamrade.com/article-425-1.html

Cartridges will have a size between 1 GB and 8 GB. GIGA BYTE! :3

8 gigs? Very awesome. Now I wish they waited for the 3DS to give us the Megaman Zero Collection. Bring on the arranged OST's!

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)