VixyNyan · 88864

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #125 on: June 23, 2010, 12:11:31 AM
That is something that definitely SHOULD be in the next one.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #126 on: June 23, 2010, 12:24:32 AM
My dear DW, I assure you that you are not only in your wish for a Rainbow Cup of sorts.   8)
I actually kind of envisioned a single Rainbow-warping course, where at every lap a warp pipe takes you to another version of Rainbow Road, eventually crossing every one.  It could be the final course of the highest Retro Cup.

Oh Jelly, it's easily yet another thing that makes MK64 that much more superior.  The ability to completely [tornado fang] over your opponent on a Wario Stadium type jump is precisely what the new games are missing.  That's what made the previous games so great.
DAMN STRAIGHT!

Unfortunately, I think that's one more side-effect of attempting to balance a broken item system.  With so much out there now that targets the leaders, the likelihood of the player getting knocked off, say, the jump in Waluigi Stadium, is that much greater.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: June 23, 2010, 03:42:19 AM
DAMN STRAIGHT!

Unfortunately, I think that's one more side-effect of attempting to balance a broken item system.  With so much out there now that targets the leaders, the likelihood of the player getting knocked off, say, the jump in Waluigi Stadium, is that much greater.

Oh of course it is.  They know how unfair an item system they made, so instead of fixing it, they just took one aspect of the game away, an aspect that once again went towards item strategy and just overall item douchebaggery.

Offline DarkWaltz

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Magic bananas!
    • View Profile
    • DarkWaltz's DeviantArt Page
Reply #128 on: June 23, 2010, 04:25:59 AM
I actually kind of envisioned a single Rainbow-warping course, where at every lap a warp pipe takes you to another version of Rainbow Road, eventually crossing every one.  It could be the final course of the highest Retro Cup.

That would be an interesting twist, I have to say. It would definitely keep your focus on the track when it shifts. And if such a retro cup were to be done, they better put Royal Raceway in it, heck I'm surprised it wasn't in MKWii, instead you get three Bowser based tracks. I liked 64's Bowser Castle but the other retro one they had... not so much.  -_-

DAMN STRAIGHT!

I remember that on Wario Stadium, when I get that string of bananas and I'm in the lead, I try to plant them all near the edge of the final jump in the chance that the AIs would drive into them and fall off the edge. XD It was hilarious when it happened to three of them at around the same time in one game I was playing.   >0<

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: June 23, 2010, 04:29:58 AM
I remember that on Wario Stadium, when I get that string of bananas and I'm in the lead, I try to plant them all near the edge of the final jump in the chance that the AIs would drive into them and fall off the edge. XD It was hilarious when it happened to three of them at around the same time in one game I was playing.   >0<

Exaaaaaaaaaaaaaactly, DW.  That's what I'm talking about!  XD

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #130 on: June 23, 2010, 04:33:12 AM
Am I the only one who puts droppable items right where item boxes are? It's an awesome trap! XD

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline DarkWaltz

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Magic bananas!
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: June 23, 2010, 04:47:58 AM
I do that with the fake item boxes for the most part.  8D Mostly I keep items stuck behind me as a safeguard against red shells, although MKWii, the fake box doesn't protect you like they used to. O.o

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #132 on: June 23, 2010, 05:25:44 AM
I do that with the fake item boxes for the most part.  8D Mostly I keep items stuck behind me as a safeguard against red shells, although MKWii, the fake box doesn't protect you like they used to. O.o

Fake item boxes seem to get more and more useless as time goes on.  At least they looked similar in MK64; now they stick out like a sore thumb, even if you do place them near other item boxes.  They've been reduced to a poor man's banana, and that doesn't say much considering how much bananas have been nerfed.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: June 23, 2010, 05:27:02 AM
The power of bananas have been nerfed, but the defense of them has been improved, which makes them so much worse.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: June 23, 2010, 08:12:10 AM
The last time item trap boxes were fine with me was setting them at the apex of the loop in Mario Kart DS' Rainbow Road. Using psychological tactics, I set the box right in the middle of the road since people like to stay in the center of the road whenever possible. Usually, that's enough to hit them and set them back a really large distance. If I have the opportunity to again in a future lap, I set them more on the sides as now the other player will be expecting it in the center.

I've screwed over many a racer with tactics like that. :3

I would like to see something like Mario Kart 64's track handling. I'm glad Jelly mentioned it as I was thinking about how much I missed springing traps like Wario Stadium's jump or the massive Royal Speedway/Rainbow Road jumps. While they put other races who can't pull off the tricks at a huge disadvantage, the level of expertise needed to pull them off is so high that, as mentioned, one miscalculation in your velocity or trajectory and you're doomed to never see the top three unless you're racing a bunch of idiots.

Even then, the items in Mario Kart 64 had enough of a damage devastation that they could pretty much be the most balanced in the series. Even the Blue Shell is more than just a "Kill the bastard in First Place" weapon. Since it doesn't fly and instead travels along the ground, that homing beacon of death will nail EVERYONE who dares get in its way, making it so much more potent.

Offline DarkWaltz

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Magic bananas!
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: June 23, 2010, 01:28:11 PM
I love how well handled the items were in 64, and the banana-brake defense if you hit one except if you're in a turn. Even the blue shell as you mentioned was handled well. At least you weren't the only one getting smacked around with it.

I played MKWii last night, 50cc on the last cup featuring the new tracks. Guess how many blue shells I got on the first track? Three of them, not to mention I also get double hit with a POW box or a lightning before or after the shell. A bit too excessive to be honest, because even in 64 Blue Shells seemed that much rarer.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: June 23, 2010, 02:30:51 PM
I don't think the computer was ever capable of drawing Blue Shells. I never remember having one used on me in single player at any point, even in Mirror Mode... though, to be fair, I don't even remember red shells. The biggest annoyance in those games, which still exists in the newer titles, is how 2nd and 3rd place will always rubber band up to you.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: June 23, 2010, 03:42:10 PM
The biggest annoyance in those games, which still exists in the newer titles, is how 2nd and 3rd place will always rubber band up to you.

Oh I know this one, it's always the same two people for the whole cup too ^^;

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: June 23, 2010, 04:23:24 PM
Another thing I really liked about MK64 although I don't know anyone who really uses it a lot is the fact that when you are launched or smacked with any really potent item, you can tap A while in the air so that when you've recovered, you haven't lost all of your speed. In some occasions, doing this right actually nets you a start up at near top speed. My mind was blown years after the fact when I first discovered this and it still leads me to believe that the designers for MK64 knew what balancing was all about.

Oh I know this one, it's always the same two people for the whole cup too ^^;

XD

Nothing like picking Toad and knowing that Yoshi & Peach would ALWAYS be tailing your ass. XD

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #139 on: June 23, 2010, 04:25:59 PM
Or Bowser and Toad chasing you when playing as Peach in Super Mario Kart. ^^;

Oh, and Luigi's star power when playing as Koopa Troopa.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: June 23, 2010, 04:27:55 PM
Nothing like picking Toad and knowing that Yoshi & Peach would ALWAYS be tailing your ass. XD

Oh mine are way worse x3  Usually if I pick a light kart I get Bowser or DK after me >w<  The other one seems to be almost exclusively Yoshi o.o

Or Bowser and Toad chasing you when playing as Peach in Super Mario Kart. ^^;

Actually like that yeah >w<;;

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: June 23, 2010, 10:56:40 PM
Another thing I really liked about MK64 although I don't know anyone who really uses it a lot is the fact that when you are launched or smacked with any really potent item, you can tap A while in the air so that when you've recovered, you haven't lost all of your speed. In some occasions, doing this right actually nets you a start up at near top speed. My mind was blown years after the fact when I first discovered this and it still leads me to believe that the designers for MK64 knew what balancing was all about.

They clearly did.  There was absolutely nothing wrong with MK64.  It's why every MK afterwards has let me down!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #142 on: June 24, 2010, 12:59:31 AM
I liked 64's Bowser Castle but the other retro one they had... not so much.  -_-
Hey, don't be dissing my GBA Bowser Castle!

Granted, SNES Bowser Castle is superior, but I'll take whatever consolation prize I can get. X(

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Ike-Mike

• Protoman: "Nein!"
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: June 24, 2010, 01:13:17 AM
I hope Mario Kart 3DS will tone down the number of racers to a reasonable amount.
Yeah, 'more players' might mean 'more fun' but it also means 'more items flying around at you'.

Though then again MKWii is my favorite next to the original Super Mario Kart exactly because it's on the other side of the spectrum: While the latter requires you to be skilled even in driving the kart the latter us just pure mindless kart-racing fun.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: June 26, 2010, 08:02:10 AM

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: June 26, 2010, 07:40:53 PM
I think at this point, Sonic and Sega ASR was a much better party racer at least compared to Mario Kart DS and Wii. Everything there just felt right. Cars could snake, but with three levels of boosting, stringing level one boosts would slow you down heavily. Bikes had the speed up quality from doing wheelies and could string boosts faster, albeit not as potently.

I think the game's only flaw was that if first place gets too far ahead, items won't affect him or her anymore. This is only a problem in online mode where the great equalizer All Star Weapons aren't in effect.

It at least should have smacked Nintendo awake to actually put effort into the titles like Sumo Digital did.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #146 on: June 26, 2010, 08:35:55 PM
0_0  Something like this could only happen in MK64:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDnGkmT5Gcc[/youtube]

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: June 26, 2010, 08:43:47 PM
I think at this point, Sonic and Sega ASR was a much better party racer at least compared to Mario Kart DS and Wii. Everything there just felt right. Cars could snake, but with three levels of boosting, stringing level one boosts would slow you down heavily. Bikes had the speed up quality from doing wheelies and could string boosts faster, albeit not as potently.

I think the game's only flaw was that if first place gets too far ahead, items won't affect him or her anymore. This is only a problem in online mode where the great equalizer All Star Weapons aren't in effect.

It at least should have smacked Nintendo awake to actually put effort into the titles like Sumo Digital did.

If Sonic & Sega doesn't, then ModNation Racers hopefully has to, because it's insanely good.

Offline Akira

• Mr. Fanservice & Vixy's cute boy
  • Neo Arcadian
  • BAKA!
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: June 26, 2010, 09:19:21 PM
Talking about Mario Kart, I like so much those Commercials

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkgO2d-3eG8&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsNMK09dCfE&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePywqVqEQ5k[/youtube]

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #149 on: June 26, 2010, 09:55:15 PM
That... was... AWESOME! Nice find, Aqua. :D