VixyNyan · 88846

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #450 on: May 01, 2014, 06:51:30 AM
Gonna snag NSMBU through that deal cause I don't have it yet. Hilariously enough, this means I'll have the original game downloaded and the DLC on disc. Which is a rather peculiar situation.

Also dat Steel Driver part lol

and DAT RAINBOW ROAD!! AND DAT BOWSER'S CASTLE!! :3

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #451 on: May 17, 2014, 06:27:21 AM
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/05/16/mario-kart-8-criticised-for-lack-of-skin-colour-diversity/

Well...I guess if you NEED to find something wrong with the game, there's that. -AC

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #452 on: May 17, 2014, 06:47:38 AM
Yeah we were already talking about that in the What Are You Thinking Now thread, Hypershell haha

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #453 on: May 18, 2014, 01:32:51 AM
That review counted Toad and Toadette as humans. That's way more racist. It also only counted 29 characters. Which I guess omitted Miis, which could be any color you want.

What's next? Lack of LGBTQ characters? Lack of monkeys?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #454 on: May 18, 2014, 02:14:19 AM
Well we already dealt with the "lack of LGBT" characters thing with Tomodachi Life, so I guess lack of monkeys.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #455 on: May 18, 2014, 07:09:22 AM
Well, people ARE upset that Diddy got axed...

That review counted Toad and Toadette as humans. That's way more racist. It also only counted 29 characters. Which I guess omitted Miis, which could be any color you want.
My thing is, the game is JAPANESE, and none of the human characters are of Asian descent, either.  If you honestly need to be told that they're not trying to match ethnicities with their audience, then nobody ever should be paying you to write.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #456 on: May 31, 2014, 09:55:37 PM
*Gets hit repeatedly and gets sent back to 10th place, passes over an item box, gets a singular green shell*

Yup, it's Mario Kart alright.

*Throws game out window*

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #457 on: June 01, 2014, 01:28:15 AM
I have not had that bad of luck at all in the race. The worst that happened to me was I was hit by a Red Shell followed by a Blue Shell followed by Lightning. And I still won.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #458 on: June 01, 2014, 05:20:00 AM
The A.I. in 100 and 150CC are complete bastards though; I got combo six times in a row one race. Still enjoying the game; it's a lot of fun so far.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #459 on: June 01, 2014, 05:53:03 AM
The AI hasn't bugged me much outside of mirror mode.  Heck, I never even touched 50cc.

My thing is the item distribution is a bit wonky.  I mean, I guess it helps keep a 12-player race from being a flood of items like on MKWii, but it seems like coins are given out oddly often (and sometimes Mushrooms, too).  Honestly makes you WISH you had a banana peel.

I do like that the Fire Flower was souped up (give a longer "spin-out" time when struck).  Dislike that bananas were given the same treatment.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #460 on: June 01, 2014, 09:40:15 AM
Yeah, Coins are far too common to get. It's rather annoying.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #461 on: June 01, 2014, 08:04:55 PM
Coins were really easy to get in MK7, as well.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #462 on: June 01, 2014, 09:10:19 PM
Coins were really easy to get in MK7, as well.
No, she means as an item since its back in the item rotation.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #463 on: June 01, 2014, 09:15:37 PM
Yeah, get two free coins. All the time. Even when you need something like a red shell or something, get coins. All the coins, all the time.

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #464 on: June 01, 2014, 09:16:23 PM
What do coins do in Mario Kart?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #465 on: June 01, 2014, 09:18:26 PM
Collecting certain amounts of them over time unlocks parts (every 50 or so).

Also you can only get up to 10 at a time per race and each one increases your speed.

Anyways is someone gonna set up an RPM MK8 tournament or something?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #466 on: June 14, 2014, 04:46:23 AM
Okay, seriously, Nintendo needs to patch in a "no coins from item boxes" option.  It'd bad enough that they pop up more than half the time when in the high ranks, but today I got one in freaking NINTH PLACE while racing online.

And...not that I'm complaining too much, but yeah, Starman was definitely nerfed.  I can't tell you how often I see that warning sign and nobody actually passes me.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #467 on: June 17, 2014, 09:11:31 AM
Okay, now that I've pretty much played through all of the 50CC-150CC of MK8, I feel I can finally offer up my most honest review of the game. We'll start with the basics.

Graphics: [tornado fang]ing gorgeous. Best looking MK game to date, as it should be. The handling is fantastic. The GamePad is very responsive and the karts handle like a dream. Nothing but praise on this end. What makes this even better is the balance regarding the vehicles. It's still early on and I have more vehicles to unlock, but unlike Mario Kart Wii, there is no overall superior kart or bike yet. Perhaps the Golden Parts will provide that, but I doubt it. Even with the Golden Parts, it shouldn't matter because of one thing they brought back from MK7; the item distribution. Here's where it gets interesting.

As you've no doubt heard people in here and people elsewhere talk about, coins are once again an item. I'll get to that in a bit, but first I'd like to talk about the one major change. You can no longer hold two items. There is no more dragging a shell behind you or having your shell shield surround you with another item being held in wait. At first I wasn't sure what to think of this, but after playing and playing I can honestly say that the game is better off with this format. It makes you question whether or not to hold onto your items, especially in first place. No more 3 Banana Peel drag with a green shell waiting. Suddenly, that one banana peel or one green shell is really important. First place is no longer secure from everything but lightning & blue shells, which brings me to the next factor of this; the super horn & the coin item.

Mario Kart 8 finally decided to give players a defense against the dreaded Blue Shell (still in it's much superior and more importantly FAIR form from MK7) with the Super Horn. There is no item you want more in 1st place than that. However, it's rare. This is where the gambling aspect comes in with the coins. Do you risk losing your Green Shell or Banana Peel, which is now your only shield against 2nd & 3rd place items, in order to chance getting the Super Horn to protect you from the Spike Shell? It's honestly really clever. The only issue with the coins is that they show up a bit too much, and in lower positions. Still, the key thing in all of this is that the items are, like MK7, once again fair, balanced, and adequately distributed.

Now for the courses. The new courses are pretty good. The music is pretty solid with the majority of them, and the hover aspect does indeed add some nice new variety with the tracks. I would say that my only issue with the new courses is that their are not enough "personal character" traits to them, cept for Bowser's Castle, arguably one of the best Bowser Castle courses in MK history, and Mario's Circuit. The new Rainbow Road is nice, but I don't think it tops the incredibly awesome one from MK7.

The retro courses have all been upgraded to MK8 courses pretty decently, with some exceptions. One of the exceptions is actually my biggest complaint with the game. Ahem...

MARIO KART 64 RAINBOW ROAD IS WAY TOO [tornado fang]ing SHORT!!!!

Don't get me wrong. The track looks absolutely gorgeous and I love the additions to the track like the flying train, the bouncing Chain Chomps and all of that. But for the love of everything, why is it so short, ESPECIALLY for a no-lap course? If you're going to shorten the track, then don't make it one and done like MK7's Rainbow Road. Keep it 3 laps like the original. I mean, for [tornado fang] sake, on 150CC I can be through the 2nd gate before the song has a chance to loop. Honestly, even though I doubt it, I hope this is something they can fix with an online update or something. If not, I'll be fine. Honestly though, that is my biggest flaw with the game thus far, and it's not a major one.

As for the A.I. in the game, I will say this...they are ruthless, but not cheap. The main problem with previous MK games from Double Dash onward was always the feeling of "[parasitic bomb] I'm in 1st, so I know the Blue Shell is coming" and that's really not there anymore since the Spike Shell is fair and doesn't knock you back as hard. HOWEVER, the A.I. now fucks you up with Green Shells. If you're behind someone, they'll shoot that [parasitic bomb] right at your face. Their aim is impeccable, plus with the limited defense you have in first now, green shells or red shells can potentially be your undoing. As ruthless as it is, I like it though. It's. Not. Cheap. It's nowhere near the levels of Spiny Shell flying at you frustration that you dealt with prior to MK7. I feel that this AI better prepares you for the level of combat you'll find with regular players.

Jumping back to the items, I'm happy with them with a couple exceptions. The first one I mentioned above, with the coins being given to you in like 7th-9th place. The Blooper has to go as well. It was ONLY useful in MK7 when it could cover the whole screen. Now it's back to being a waste of an item ala MKWii. Get rid of it and bring back the Ghost or Feather. The new items are pretty good. Super Horn is awesome, Piranha Plant is very awesome, and the Boomerang is also awesome. They improved the Fire Flower item immensely as well. However, like Hypershell said above, the Starman has been nerfed to the point of being overall useless.

So if you've made it this far, allow me to finish. Mario Kart 8 is a very well made Mario Kart game, and worth every penny if you're a MK fan. It is not even close to being the [tornado fang]ing unbalanced clutter that was Mario Kart Wii or Double Dash, and it is a better game all around than Mario Kart DS due to the items being balanced and well distributed. Overall though, I think Mario Kart 7 is still a superior game. Even with the new hover addition, the level designs were better in MK7, as well as the level music as well. The Retro Course selection was also better in MK7, and this is coming from someone who LOVES the fact that they included FOUR of his favorite MK64 tracks. The Kart Selection was also slightly better in MK7 as well. Not by much though, as MK8 managed to bring back the bikes & add ATVs, yet still keep everything balanced. Just in terms of designs, I think MK7 had a better selection looks wise.

But to the games testament, I like it. I really [tornado fang]ing like it a lot. This is the first console Mario Kart game I've been really happy with since Mario Kart 64. Mario Kart 8 brought over a big chunk of what I loved about Mario Kart 7, added in some nice new features and beautiful graphics, and they created one of the best Mario Kart games ever. While I have Mario Kart 64 on so very high a pedestal (seriously, it's my 2nd favorite game of all time), I doubt anything can touch that for me. And while I think Mario Kart 7 is behind MK64 in terms of the best MK games of all time, MK8 is right behind MK7. Nintendo did a great job with it. I'd tweak a couple things, yes. But those things do not bother me enough to make me not want to play the game. Mario Kart 8 is fantastic.

But seriously, for the love of [tornado fang]ing everything, can you please stop making Battle Mode worse and worse with EACH new game. Sigh.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #468 on: June 17, 2014, 09:18:02 AM
Agreed with you on all counts. They made such a big deal about N64 RAINBOW ROAD OMG in the trailers, and odds are the most you'll hear of the music is the snippet they used in the trailers cause it's so short. And while I understand that there's now 7 previous games to choose retro courses from, the selection was overall pretty meh. There's only one SNES track and only one Super Circuit track, and neither of those are really anything special, honestly. Donut Plains uses the water now, and GBA Mario Circuit has one RAISED SECTION OMG.

I really hope they do some track DLC for retro courses, because there's so many other good tracks they could have picked. And while I'm on the subject, add in some actual [tornado fang]ing Battle Mode courses, cause using the actual stages as courses is idiotic since 90% of the time you're looking for other people on those sprawling courses and when you do find someone, they see you first and BOOM you're hit.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #469 on: June 17, 2014, 09:24:16 AM
Another feature I'd love them to add in is to give the Wii U GamePad screen the rear view mirror option.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #470 on: June 17, 2014, 09:25:50 AM
And a map. Cause I like to see how much of a lead I have sometimes without having to take my eyes off the action.

I mean, yeah, I can just use the GamePad for that, but if I'm doing off-TV play I can't. And even when I'm playing on the TV, I have to physically look down away from the screen to check that.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #471 on: June 17, 2014, 09:38:44 AM
They have enough buttons on the GamePad where they could do that. technically.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #472 on: June 17, 2014, 02:17:01 PM
Your review was spot on, Mario Kart 64 was my favorite Kart game up until this point; battle mode is quite disappointing though. I miss block fort. =(

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #473 on: June 17, 2014, 07:54:45 PM
Seriously.

*pours one out for MK64 Battle Mode & Block Fort*

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #474 on: June 18, 2014, 01:48:00 AM
MK8 is my favorite in terms of its track design, and its part selection I'd say is...probably on par with MK7.  I think there are more actual parts, but a lot of them appear to be clones of each other.  Literally every one of the four sports bikes has the same stats.  It's nice in that it helps you choose a more personal aesthetic even when you're looking for a specific set of stats, but it also yields less variety in terms of performance.  Also I really wish there were more than three ATVs, or at least more than one that ISN'T modeled after an animal.

Speaking of which, if there is a "best" part, it probably is the Sports Bike (and its variants).  But there is a learning curve to it since it screws with the traditional drifting, so I'd still say they did a better job of getting bikes and karts to coexist than in Wii.  The "standard" bikes definitely don't feel any better or worse than karts and ATVs.

I don't really feel that traction is as important in MK8 as it was in 7, so  the "monster" wheels come off as being useless.  Maybe that's just me, but it seems as if MK7 gave you more reasons to try and get away with pushing through a few moments of off-road.  By the same token, handling seems a bit more vital.  In MK7 you could deal with some pretty stiff handling as long as you had decent foresight of the track, but in MK8 I found it more common to have a part combination that simply could not handle the curves that I needed it to once the competition got tough.

Items are in and of themselves well balanced (even if Starman was nerfed), but I think the distribution needs a serious look.  Even beyond coins, which trip things up enough, the next most common thing you see is Mushrooms.  The two in tandem make it very rare and difficult to be able to go on the offensive even when you do fall behind, which makes the "only one item" thing a lot more frustrating than it really should be.  I agree it's a good format, but it could use some tweaking.  The overall balance leads to many of the good items being more situational than before; Triple Red is GODLIKE in the ideal circumstances, but will do you little good if a Boomerang is thrown your way.  Boomerang and Pirahna Plant are both incredible in the fray, but get substantially less useful if there's a distance between you and the guy in front of you.

And yes, N64 Rainbow Road needs to be 3 full laps again.  Otherwise it's a fantastic course; I wonder who thought up the coin-spewing steam engine running along the track?  I love that they picked four N64 courses, I love that ROYAL RACEWAY is finally among them.  Now we just gotta work on N64's Wario Stadium...