Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (Wii, PS3, 360, iPhone)

HokutoNoBen · 245689

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #375 on: February 17, 2010, 05:39:34 PM
Might have something to do with the fact that Sonic Team has basically been locked in Sega's basement being forced to work on cranking out at least one Sonic game every couple of years since the Adventure days.They're incapable of making a good [tornado fang]ing Sonic game because they're burned out, soulless husks of game developers that Sega is keeping on life support simply to milk them for cash.

Ever since Naka and a few key members left Sonic Team, the games don't seem all that cool anymore. Naka loves to move forward and I respect him for that but Sega should a t least treat Sonic with the utmost respect he has earned but instead they keep derailing his character and the games he appears in. I had seen fan games better than what Sega is churning out recently and they are very creative but that is not to say that recent didn't have good ideas although they weren't implemented well. I just hope that this game or an abomination of an game that this will turn out to be hopefully lives up to its Sonic the hedgehog 4 name, otherwise I am going to cry foul and I will be a very sad boy.  ;O;  ;^; [/fan myopia]

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #376 on: February 17, 2010, 06:02:10 PM
Ever since Naka and a few key members left Sonic Team, the games don't seem all that cool anymore.

Are you kidding me? Naka was a cancer upon Sonic. Or so I remember.
Also, he was the main reason for cancellation of Sonic Xtreme because:
"LOL NO U CAN'T HAVE TEH NiGHTS ENGINE! HA HA HA!"

Therefore, I hate his face.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #377 on: February 17, 2010, 06:20:08 PM
On the other hand, Sonic Xtreme was going to bring back Sonic CD Metal Sonic, introduce a Ringforger, and some crazy-ass Mary Sue for Sonic.

Broke even, really.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #378 on: February 17, 2010, 06:27:55 PM
Are you kidding me? Naka was a cancer upon Sonic. Or so I remember.
Also, he was the main reason for cancellation of Sonic Xtreme because:
"LOL NO U CAN'T HAVE TEH NiGHTS ENGINE! HA HA HA!"

Therefore, I hate his face.

Only except.. The graphics are already made, and the rom's perfectly emuable and ready to sell. I can't see why he decided to cancell it in the last minute in favor for a cheesy port of Sonic 3D Blast. It's why I never got a SEGA console inbetween the Genesis and the Dreamcast.  :\

Now Dimps is handling the game, and people are going nuts about it like the possible next sonic RPG is gonna be handled by Bioware again (this increases the chance for a Sonic: The Card Battle game you know).

Yeah, but if the next godly FPS or JRPG comes out.. yeah. Sega should have started a new series during 2006 to keep them in line.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #379 on: February 17, 2010, 07:05:54 PM
After the likes of Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Rush Advance and Sonic Unleashed WiiS2?

Hey, I don't like those games either. But the other half of their portfolio is good.

And I say I want a good game because I haven't called a console Sonic game between SA2 and PS360 Unleashed "good". And that's not counting the Wii only games, one of which I thought was a bit better than good (Secret Rings). Hell, me calling Unleashed good is a bit of a stretch because I never cared to finish it. Everything else has been less than good to me.
Yes Flame, that includes Sonic 06. It's a shitty game. You like a shitty game.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #380 on: February 17, 2010, 07:34:40 PM
I love Sonic Advance 2. O^O
with Vanilla

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #381 on: February 17, 2010, 07:37:14 PM
Only except.. The graphics are already made, and the rom's perfectly emuable and ready to sell. I can't see why he decided to cancell it in the last minute in favor for a cheesy port of Sonic 3D Blast. It's why I never got a SEGA console inbetween the Genesis and the Dreamcast.

The Sonic 3D Blast Port is much better than that Shitty Genesis version. The Music and graphics are excellent (I love me some S3D Saturn Music), and the Special stage kicks ass. The PC version is the cheesy port, its a whole lot of fail.

with Vanilla

I liked the main stages, but the ludicrous way of getting to the Special stage (Combined with the awfulness of the Special Stage itself.) And the fact that you have to UNLOCK the Sound Test makes it mediocre in my Book. Never should you have to go through the same 7 shitty Special stages in a row with 4 characters just to unlock everything (and a 5th time for completists.). At least SAdv3 fixed that, and made the special stages a decent challenge.

and besides... who decided that mile high pits was really necessary? can't they just be a little bit of a fall instead of falling for 5-6 seconds?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #382 on: February 17, 2010, 07:40:08 PM
Because Advance/Rush's music was not memorable, save for maybe Metal Scratchin'.

....Oh when Jelly sees the lack of Wrapped in Black....

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #383 on: February 17, 2010, 08:13:48 PM
I thought the music in the Rush games was horrid, personally, not just "unmemorable."

But then, I really friggin' miss Sonic 3's music.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #384 on: February 17, 2010, 08:16:28 PM
Sonic Rush had tasty music, I don't care what anyone says.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #385 on: February 17, 2010, 08:19:49 PM
Sonic Rush had tasty music, I don't care what anyone says.

<3

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #386 on: February 17, 2010, 08:24:34 PM
with Vanilla

When you're not going for the Special Stages, SAdva2 is fine.
Busty rabbits are always a plus.

....Oh when Jelly sees the lack of Wrapped in Black....

This is unusual for Sonic music, but somehow, it got old. So did Bomber Barbara and Vela Nova.

Too busy, too many instruments, methinks.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #387 on: February 17, 2010, 08:35:26 PM
Busty rabbits are always a plus.

Then again, so are busty bats and loli rabbits.

However, there's that need to add another unecessary character for almost every game... it's why Vela Nova's track isin't as memorable as the Knuckles fight in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Blaze was developed a little too late when Xtreme was put into production.

Since the Rush music may have been a little too busy, but it was most likely the right choice for Sonic vs Blaze, with Eggman/Eggman Nega hanging in the background. I was never fond of any of the special stages. period (Well, Sonic 3's but eh).

Am I the only one that liked Sonic Spinball?

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #388 on: February 17, 2010, 08:53:16 PM
Then again, so are busty bats and loli rabbits.

However, there's that need to add another unecessary character for almost every game... it's why Vela Nova's track isin't as memorable as the Knuckles fight in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Blaze was developed a little too late when Xtreme was put into production.

Since the Rush music may have been a little too busy, but it was most likely the right choice for Sonic vs Blaze, with Eggman/Eggman Nega hanging in the background. I was never fond of any of the special stages. period (Well, Sonic 3's but eh).

Am I the only one that liked Sonic Spinball?

LOLI?! Sir, you need some pink hedgehog bewbs, stat!

I don't know why they keep adding characters. I think they got the message after Sonic Rush Adventure (for Dimps) and Sonic Unleashed (for Sonic Team).

Rush's music might have had solid melodies, MAYBE, but they got skewed by voiceplay, instrument hits, and just general wankery. Whatever happened to tracks like Chemical Plant; simple, but effective?

Who doesn't like Sonic Spinball? Even if it can be cruel sometimes.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #389 on: February 17, 2010, 08:56:54 PM
Only except.. The graphics are already made, and the rom's perfectly emuable and ready to sell. I can't see why he decided to cancell it in the last minute in favor for a cheesy port of Sonic 3D Blast.
Because they were Behind schedule, WAY behind, still were trying to figure out a boss engine,  and Naka got showed the wrong demo. ( an older one) He then told them to remake the whole game with the working boss engine, and by then, well yeah.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #390 on: February 17, 2010, 09:01:48 PM
LOLI?! Sir, you need some pink hedgehog bewbs, stat!

8D

Yes, But I do love pinball.. it's why I see spinball as a classic, no doubt. I don't know why, I think I may want another arcade-themed Sonic game after this title.. aside racing.

But I think there's this urge to keep up with the ever-increasing Mario cast.. except unlike megaman's new guys, they might have a 50/50 chance of being shoehorned in.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #391 on: February 17, 2010, 09:12:56 PM
I heard somewhere - and I don't know if this is true or not, just bear with me - that Sonic Xtreme was way behind development schedule for whatever reasons it was, and Naka wanted the game to be released in time for the holidays, or something to that extent; thus leaving the team absolutely little to no time to iron out the myriad bugs, glitches and problems that plagued it, as well as giving them virtually no time to sort out the boss engine. The chap who wrote this article concluded by saying that, had they done this and released it to the gaming public rather than scrapping the damned thing, it would have been akin to Sonic 06, circa ten years prior.

Anybody like to hazard a guess as to what that would have done to Sega at that relatively early stage, before the rot really began to set in?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #392 on: February 17, 2010, 09:20:50 PM
Rush's music was not memorable

*Rages into SSJ3*

Rush's soundtrack was not only the best Sonic soundtrack in ages, it brought back a lot of what had previously gone lost in the series musical progression - actual sampling and homages. Hell, imo I think it's soundtrack and composition should have been the next true evolution in Sonic music.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Reply #393 on: February 17, 2010, 09:23:31 PM
*Insert Jet Set Radio music here~* <3

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #394 on: February 17, 2010, 09:28:03 PM
Hell yes. 8B

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #395 on: February 17, 2010, 09:41:34 PM
Personally Wrapped in Black from Rush and Big Swell (which itself is a mix of WiB) from Rush Adventure are two of my all time fav game tracks. Deep Core is sweet too. Also, at least the Rush games had EGGMAN AS THE FINAL BOSS, not Perfect Chaos/Finalhazard/Metal Overlord/etc... (granted it's Eggman and Eggman Nega, but still...)

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #396 on: February 17, 2010, 09:56:51 PM
Another thing some people forget to give Rush credit for -- it really was an interesting take on strictly speed based Sonic. Dimps set up a good foundation for feel, mechanics, and tone in Rush, and then they went back and fixed the level design and even upped the ante on bosses in Rush Adventure. If only Sonic Team themselves didn't meddle around with RA and gave it a poor hub, forced story elements before levels, and Marine. (Oh GOD, MARINE. XD)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #397 on: February 17, 2010, 10:26:52 PM
Didnt the advance games also hae Final boss Eggman? :\

I liked myself Advances music. Especially 2.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #398 on: February 17, 2010, 10:30:32 PM
Exactly. Not to mention the Mission mode. That was my favorite part of Rush Adventure. Especially Muzy's time trial missions to unlock tracks in the sound test. Those were tricky. You needed to find the perfect path through the level, and not get hit either or else you'd screw up. Also, Hidden Islands were cool too! Especially Hidden Island 9 (think that's it) where you can get the maximum score of 110,000, and Hidden Island 16, which was the first level from the original Rush. Also, say Aye if you've ever wanted to kill that retarded raccoon!

AYE! OH GOD YES AYE! (Jelly knows where it's at!)

And yes, they did, but still.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #399 on: February 17, 2010, 11:44:06 PM
I heard somewhere - and I don't know if this is true or not, just bear with me - that Sonic Xtreme was way behind development schedule for whatever reasons it was, and Naka wanted the game to be released in time for the holidays, or something to that extent; thus leaving the team absolutely little to no time to iron out the myriad bugs, glitches and problems that plagued it, as well as giving them virtually no time to sort out the boss engine. The chap who wrote this article concluded by saying that, had they done this and released it to the gaming public rather than scrapping the damned thing, it would have been akin to Sonic 06, circa ten years prior.

Anybody like to hazard a guess as to what that would have done to Sega at that relatively early stage, before the rot really began to set in?

Assuming this is true? It's difficult to say. The Sega Saturn was already doing a lot to undermine Sega's image, lack of "mainstream" Sonic game or not.

a. The "best" we can assume is that it would not change much. There was nothing the Saturn could do to help Sega really win back Japan, and Western support was slipping away quickly too, thanks to the encroaching Dreamcast. If marketed correctly (...questionable, given the Sega we know from the last decade), it could have been a thing that Sega pushes the game and all those associated under the bus, a la Nintendo with the Virtual Boy, and keep things moving with the Dreamcast. Perhaps Naka would have pushed his version of Sonic in a different way, if he knew that some things would just not be acceptable.

b. On the other hand, finally getting a mainstream Sonic game, only for it to suck, might have done a lot to possibly kill Sonic off for good. In fact, a lot of what I've been reading on this era showcases that there was a good chance that Sonic could have been phased out entirely (or at least, given the extended vacation that the likes of Shinobi got until well into the PS2 era). If things had worked out differently like say, Bug! and the sequel doing better on the marketplace, it's very likely that Bug! could have been the new Sega hero.