Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (Wii, PS3, 360, iPhone)

HokutoNoBen · 245682

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #350 on: February 17, 2010, 02:26:27 AM
To be honest, I didn't expect a minor complaint like that out of you.

Sorry, but yeah.  Because you know that this won't be the last of it. There's prolly plenty more where this came from. 8D

Sure, the physics ARE flawed in this build.. but doesn't mean they can fix this in time for the summer.

If nothing else, remember, this is from the same develeopment that gave us Sonic 2006. A game which ended even MORE broken than the already broken demo of the damn game.

And they supposedly "promised" us that those bugs in the demo would be ironed out by the final version. Yeah....right. Whatever was fixed ended being overshadowed by the glitches that remained or made WORSE. -u-'

I love how people are already getting worried that this could be a travesty because of these tiny little details which mean it isn't 100% faithful to the original games.

Because in the end? All this does is just do more to perpetuate a certain "motion" (which shall rename nameless), in spite of the supposed "best intentions" on SegaSonic's part to kill it.

First it starts out with the modern design with green eyes. Then it's the confirmation of homing attack (which likely won't be utilized nearly as well as in Sonic 1 Megamix, that much should be clear now from that vid). Then it's floaty physics and character model animation. And now, we get the first, of likely several engine aspects that do to detract from the very thing that they were trying to promise (for only the umpteenth time): "returning to his roots".

Again, what has Sega/Sonic done to even warrant this sort of "hopes and well-wishes" that people are bestowing this product? This overall notion that it's "going to get better", and such?

No thanks. I was contemplating getting this on PSN, but I'm washing my hands of this game now. This "leak" was all I needed to see.

Sega, just give my black ass that Sonic Blu-Ray Collection, and make it so that package has perfect emulation for each port on that disc. That is all.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #351 on: February 17, 2010, 02:47:09 AM
Honestly, the only thing I found REALLY wrong so far is Sonic's jump, hopefully they fix it, but...yeah, you know where I'm going.

Did I see walking/running into ground-rooted springs, instead of properly JUMPING onto them?

He didn't jump onto it? Must've been my imagination then =/

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #352 on: February 17, 2010, 03:21:16 AM
Am I honestly the only one here who isn't crying his eyes out that Sega isn't giving the fans eeeeexaaaaaaaaactly what they want?

It's a video game, people! A. VIDEO. GAME. Since when did Sonic having green eyes mean it's the end of the world? Or having physics that aren't the same as they used to be resulting in a game that will suck and fail and be a travesty the likes of which the fandom has never seen before? Or...

Oh, sod it. I could argue on about that point, but it would just be a complete waste of breath. Maybe it's just me who's taking what he'll get and won't complain if it isn't exactly what he wants. Isn't the point of games that they're supposed to be fun?

I'm sorry, people, but I seriously doubt Sonic's "glory days" are ever coming back. Yeah, Sega can make a bunch of promises about how they'll "go back to his roots", but if you're really taking that sans the obligatory grain of salt and are then going to moan and whine when it turns out it's not just what you wanted, then I'm sorry, but you're going to be very, very disappointed campers when this game arrives.

Sega are never going to give you what you all want, not at this rate. I'm just going to shrug and acknowledge that at least they're trying. They're not trying that hard, but since when have they - after Adventure - tried as hard as they used to? Besides, they're trying to cater to fans of both the old-school Sonic and the newer, younger fans who like Sonic with green eyes and a smug grin. I reckon some of you folks are being awfully selfish, waving your banner around and screaming, "I WAS HERE FIRST, [tornado fang] OFF NEWER FANS". Sega is a company first and foremost, hence, they need to make money. If churning out bullshit is how they get their money, well, that's how they get their money. If you don't like it, stick to playing the older games.

Ah, whatever. Go back to bitching amongst yourselves about how Sega's beating a dead franchise with a shovel instead of letting it rest. I'll just sit back, relax and play my new Sonic game.

Even if it is a pile of garbage.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #353 on: February 17, 2010, 03:49:52 AM
Am I honestly the only one here who isn't crying his eyes out that Sega isn't giving the fans eeeeexaaaaaaaaactly what they want?

It's a video game, people! A. VIDEO. GAME.

Here's the main thing you and some others of your ilk seem to not quite get.

This game had the nerve to be called SONIC 4.

Not Sonic Rush 3. Not Sonic Advance 4. Not Sonic [insert silly subtitle here]. Not even something akin to "New! Sonic the Hedgehog".  8D

If it was anything akin to those suggested above? It would either be a thing that you either accept the game for what it is, and/or be willing to just pass it over. Same thing I've done for years on end.

But Sega/Sonic wanted to call their new "Project Needlemouse" Sonic 4. Instantly dredging up memories of the original games, and opening this new product to be instantly compared to them. This type of backlash is warranted because Sega invited it. And if the game is not willing to live up to what was established with those 3.5 (plus CD) originals? Well, [tornado fang] it. That's all there is to it.  8D

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #354 on: February 17, 2010, 03:54:49 AM
Well, fair deuce, I can accept that to an extent. But still, complaining about minor details is a bit much. I don't think it's going to necessarily crush the game.

IF the game does turn out to have much more glaring and teeth-gnashingly frustrating problems when it's released, THEN and ONLY THEN will I recant my argument. Until then, I'm staying where I am.

Also, I don't appreciate you referring to me as belonging to an "ilk". I used to be just as hardcore a fan as your "ilk" is, if not even moreso. What's the point, ultimately, in deviding fans amongst tribes? It's stupid and juvenile.

But still, c'mon. It's a video game. Video games shouldn't be SERIOUS BUSINESS like this.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #355 on: February 17, 2010, 04:08:36 AM
Well, fair deuce, I can accept that to an extent. But still, complaining about minor details is a bit much. I don't think it's going to necessarily crush the game.

IF the game does turn out to have much more glaring and teeth-gnashingly frustrating problems when it's released, THEN and ONLY THEN will I recant my argument. Until then, I'm staying where I am.

Fair enough.

Also, I don't appreciate you referring to me as belonging to an "ilk".

Considering I was the main voice of dissent for the last few hours, and was basically referred to just as "people", I thought it was fair to use such terms. Very well, then. My apologies.

What's the point, ultimately, in deviding fans amongst tribes? It's stupid and juvenile.

Maybe so, but that's, ultimately, what Sega has allowed to happen to their own brand. They allowed this break down to happen, and coupled with their own floundering about when it comes to making Sonic games, that's a lot of the reason why the series is in the mess it is in today. Unless they are able to prove me and many others wrong, nothing's going to change.

But still, c'mon. It's a video game. Video games shouldn't be SERIOUS BUSINESS like this.

We're on a video game forum. If it can't be SERIOUS BUSINESS here, where else, then?  8D

Seriously though, I'd like to think that if any avenue is where we can discuss our hobbies in such a way, it's here. Besides, my "rage" and "indignation" is reserved, first and foremost, for Sega/Sonic itself.  8D

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #356 on: February 17, 2010, 04:10:27 AM
Since when did Sonic having green eyes mean it's the end of the world?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #357 on: February 17, 2010, 04:11:05 AM
Well, I think that argument was settled in a very civilised manner. =3

Kind of a pity, I was almost hoping for somebody to throw some flak at me...

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #358 on: February 17, 2010, 05:53:22 AM
Tails has had blue ones, and Knuckles, purple.

Why the heck shouldn't Sonic have a color?

It's just a minor difference. You want to get mad about things, get mad about gameplay, added characters, story, Sonic's new design instead of his wiseass 90's look, but not this.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #359 on: February 17, 2010, 06:54:28 AM
If this game sucks, don't blame Sega and/or Sonic Team. Dimps is doing this one. Not too surprising, I guess. It does have that Rush feel to it. At the same time, this kinda brings my hopes up a bit. Dimps has done an okay job with past games. And that's really all I want in this Sonic 4; an okay job.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline TeaOfJay

• Resident Talking Tea Cup/ Lazy Super Hero
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • ROW ROW FIGHT DA POWAH!
    • View Profile
Reply #360 on: February 17, 2010, 06:57:44 AM
And in that instant my hope for this game is semi-restored.

At least if the game sucks it won't nearly be as bad as if Sonic Team had developed it.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #361 on: February 17, 2010, 07:02:04 AM
If this game sucks, don't blame Sega and/or Sonic Team. Dimps is doing this one. Not too surprising, I guess. It does have that Rush feel to it. At the same time, this kinda brings my hopes up a bit. Dimps has done an okay job with past games. And that's really all I want in this Sonic 4; an okay job.

Well, that's a good thing then, I liked the Rush series (except for Marine, seriously, the only Sonic character I can honestly say I hate). However, didn't they also make PS2Wii version of Unleashed and that didn't turn out that well?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #362 on: February 17, 2010, 07:25:04 AM
I cant believe you Sega. Your one chance to redeem yourself and prove you can make a good Sonic game and what do you do? You let another group do it.
Oh come on Sega.
Granted, this shoots the game's chances way up, but still, Seriously?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #363 on: February 17, 2010, 07:42:06 AM
I cant believe you Sega. Your one chance to redeem yourself and prove you can make a good Sonic game and what do you do? You let another group do it.
Oh come on Sega.
Granted, this shoots the game's chances way up, but still, Seriously?
Do you not understand it yet? Neither Sega nor Sonic Team can make a good [tornado fang]ing Sonic game anymore.
They are incapable of it, because... I don't know honestly. I just don't know.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #364 on: February 17, 2010, 08:50:21 AM
The problem with Sonic Team is that they can't make a camera system worth [parasitic bomb]. I'm glad Dimps is doing it, because I'm sure Sonic Team would manage to mess up on the camera somehow.

Also, the fact that some of you that accepted Unleashed are railing on this already just boggles my mind. BOGGLES I TELL YOU.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #365 on: February 17, 2010, 12:34:29 PM
The problem with Sonic Team is that they can't make a camera system worth [parasitic bomb]. I'm glad Dimps is doing it, because I'm sure Sonic Team would manage to mess up on the camera somehow.

Also, the fact that some of you that accepted Unleashed are railing on this already just boggles my mind. BOGGLES I TELL YOU.
how can they mes it up if it's 2D?

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #366 on: February 17, 2010, 01:02:46 PM

After the likes of Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Rush Advance and Sonic Unleashed WiiS2? Nah, my outlook remains the same. Besides, Sonic Team has still always been involved with these projects, with Dimps being the code monkeys to get it done. So yeah, it STILL is Sonic Team in the end. 8D

Furthermore, why should we just desire an "okay job"? Would at least 8 years worth of mediocrity some how make "an okay job" acceptable now? Especially for a game that, again, dares to incite the 16-bit legacy by calling itself "Sonic 4"? 

This "A for effort" mindset is a good deal of what perpetuates "the motion" as any thing else that Sega/Sonic has done themselves.  If all we desire is just "an okay job", then they will merely be content to amount as such. Is that REALLY what we want?

Archer

Reply #367 on: February 17, 2010, 01:38:36 PM
They just don't want to set themselves up for disappointment.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #368 on: February 17, 2010, 02:24:15 PM
how can they mes it up if it's 2D?

I believe his point is that even if it is 2D they WILL find a way.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #369 on: February 17, 2010, 04:06:57 PM
I believe his point is that even if it is 2D they WILL find a way.
Exactly my point, thanks Taiyo.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #370 on: February 17, 2010, 04:11:23 PM
Do you not understand it yet? Neither Sega nor Sonic Team can make a good [tornado fang]ing Sonic game anymore.
They are incapable of it, because... I don't know honestly. I just don't know.

Might have something to do with the fact that Sonic Team has basically been locked in Sega's basement being forced to work on cranking out at least one Sonic game every couple of years since the Adventure days.

They're incapable of making a good [tornado fang]ing Sonic game because they're burned out, soulless husks of game developers that Sega is keeping on life support simply to milk them for cash.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #371 on: February 17, 2010, 04:34:20 PM
Can't Sonic Team do the music, leave everything else to Dimps?

Because Advance/Rush's music was not memorable, save for maybe Metal Scratchin'.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #372 on: February 17, 2010, 04:35:00 PM
If this game sucks, don't blame Sega and/or Sonic Team. Dimps is doing this one.

Ah [parasitic bomb], not Dimps. They've been doing all too much. They ruined Unleashed's Daytime Stages for the Wii/PS2. They made the God-Awful SAdv2 (I Don't care what people say, that game is a crock of ass.), And they excel at making ass-handed special stages with lots of mode 7/Poor Depth Perception.  At least the main games they make are not so bad for the most Part (SAdv1 and SAdv3 are some of my favorite GBA games, and SR is quite enjoyable, SRA... I have no opinion since I haven't played it yet.) So for my vote... I'm going to see whats in store for me, I'm enough of a Closet Sonic Fan that I'm going to buy this when it comes out. The only one I haven't bought recently is Unleashed (I'm waiting for the chance to get a 360, Then I can get 2006 as well.)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #373 on: February 17, 2010, 04:39:28 PM
Did dimps do Sonic Advance 1 and 3? Or was that THQ?

Anyway, yeah, between Rush and Sonic Advance 2, I'm a little fearful, but if they've got somebody overseeing them from Sonic Team since they're putting it all on the line with the Sonic 4 title, then I'm not too terribly worried.

And again, the stage layouts and Gimmicks seem to reflect the latter to some degree.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #374 on: February 17, 2010, 04:45:25 PM
I'm not sure why THQ Published the Sonic Advance games, THQ is known for shitty licensed games. Why would Sega let them publish good games?

And to answer your Question, THQ Didn't make SAdv1 or 3, It was all dimps.