Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (Wii, PS3, 360, iPhone)

HokutoNoBen · 245881

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #975 on: May 22, 2010, 10:37:52 PM
HokutoNoBen, you should know by know that people don't read the topics before posting! :P

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #976 on: May 22, 2010, 10:48:27 PM
HokutoNoBen, you should know by know that people don't read the topics before posting! :P

That's no excuse, in my opinion. If you're going to subscribe to the "tl;dr" mindset, then you really have no place to say such things like "I dunno why you're ragging on this game so bad..." and etc. It should be a basic "net-iquette" thing.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #977 on: May 22, 2010, 10:54:43 PM
I was kidding there. I agree with you completely. I try to read what I can, or at the very least I skim it to get the general gist of it.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #978 on: May 22, 2010, 11:51:39 PM
Silly fools.
I know exactly why you hate on it, and I find it retarded.
I could get into a debate regarding what I exactly find retarded in your claims of "THIS IS BAAAADDDD!", but I'm a lazy bum and don't feel like it.
We like to jump into conclusions, huh? Just because I don't post in a thread too often, does not mean I'm not reading it. : >

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #979 on: May 23, 2010, 12:07:15 AM
INTERNET: SERIOUS BUSINESS!

Honestly though... I can see it too. It's Sonic, so reading ten pages of posts isn't necessary; his current bad rep is all that needs to be said.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #980 on: May 23, 2010, 05:02:07 AM
I'm utterly convinced that the "Sonic cycle" is perpetuated by the fans every bit as much of not more than it is by Sonic Team.  There is no consistent view within the Sonic fanbase about what the ideal Sonic game should be (listen to Ben and me talk about Super forms, I dare you), only that from 2003 onward it hasn't happened.  Furthermore, having actually played Black Knight, a game which many both fan and press have torn apart, I found it to be an excellent quality title, in more than a few ways improved over Secret Rings, especially in control (good riddance, Brake button).  About the only problem I have with it is that the second Arthur fight sometimes drags for seemingly no reason.

I hate the fact, that there's so many bullshit levels with Tails/Eggman and Knuckles/Rouge one after another, and so little Sonic/Shadow ones.
I love SA2, but there is no denying that for the speed freaks it is a quality over quantity thing.  ESPECIALLY the Dark story, although why one would expect Shadow to get more focus than Eggman is beyond me.  But in terms of play time he did get shafted.

With Sonic things are a little better.  There's a bit of a dry spell from Green Forest up until ARK, but otherwise, I think you see him a good amount of time.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #981 on: May 23, 2010, 05:13:07 AM
I enjoyed the 3D Sonic games... at least the ones I've played. No Sonic 06, Secret Rings, or Black Knight for me. But the ones I have played I enjoyed. Even Shadow the Hedgehog. Sure, the premise may be stupid, but the gameplay was fun. And we wouldn't have FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM or WHERE'S THAT DAMN FOURTH CHAOS EMERALD without it. Sonic Heroes was fun too; first game I ever found a glitch in (third stage, team Chaotix; destroy the boxes under one of the first enemies as Espio while invisible) and I liked the rest of the gameplay. Honestly, I don't see why Sonic does have such a bad reputation these days; but it's obvious that he does, and that's why FANBASE HELPING is such a bad thing. For the very reasons outlined in previous posts.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #982 on: May 23, 2010, 05:25:37 AM
Secret Rings is a great game but it's not very pickup-and-play friendly.  The controls are a tad awkward and obtaining any respectable rank involves a lot of track memorization.  I like it a lot, I just find it difficult to return to after a long absence.  It has some awesome boss fights, though.

Sonic '06 I have not played.  But as far as crapass Sonic Team efforts go, I cannot imagine it possibly being any worse than NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams.  I don't think I've ever looked at new-age Sonic the same way again after that atrocity.

That's no excuse, in my opinion. If you're going to subscribe to the "tl;dr" mindset, then you really have no place to say such things like "I dunno why you're ragging on this game so bad..." and etc. It should be a basic "net-iquette" thing.
That's an exceedingly high demand to make of a response to a 40 page thread.

Honestly, that kind of attitude is why I hesitate to attempt to "break in" to other boards, such as MMX9.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #983 on: May 23, 2010, 06:37:42 AM
Hypershell: It's not that I'm a speed freak. It's just that I hate those segments with Eggman/Tails the most. Knuckles and Rouge segments I can more or less accept. Mostly, because I enjoyed treasure hunting from SA(DX).
I liked the Gamma levels from SA(DX!!!) too, yet the Eggman and Tails ones in SA2 are so friggin' ARRRGHHHH, that I just want to ARRRGHHHH!

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #984 on: May 23, 2010, 06:51:04 AM
Eggman's levels were fine. He handled well enough. It's when you got to Tails and realised how [tornado fang]ing terribly he managed to handle that it was like "Why god why?!"

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #985 on: May 23, 2010, 08:10:26 AM
I found Eggman fairly amusing, and interesting to play. Having played StHH first, its like riding one of Shadow's clunky vehicles.

That, plus yknow, You get to play as Eggman.
in fact, I think its that novelty that makes it worth it. Tails however, has no such thing going for him.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #986 on: May 23, 2010, 08:15:40 AM
You can play as Eggman in Sonic Chronicles as well. Not too bad of a character (granted, I prefer Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow, and Omega for that, but still), and you do lose him after a certain point...

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #987 on: May 23, 2010, 08:24:41 AM
I know exactly why you hate on it, and I find it retarded.
I could get into a debate regarding what I exactly find retarded in your claims of "THIS IS BAAAADDDD!", but I'm a lazy bum and don't feel like it.

C'mon, most, if not all of us are adults here. Rap with me. Tell me exactly what you think is wrong with the way I think. Don't just leave me hanging now, if you're going to make such claims.  8D

That's an exceedingly high demand to make of a response to a 40 page thread.

Honestly, that kind of attitude is why I hesitate to attempt to "break in" to other boards, such as MMX9.

Hey, I thought I was being generous by saying " read the last 10", if you wanted to get a good grasp of the current events from these last two months, at least. 8D

Again though, I re-iterate...to me, it's just foolishness on the "interloper's" part if they want to try and interject in an argument, but basically come all late, and either do more to dredge up matters that have already been discussed in full (and expect other parties to help them get up to speed), or possibly go forth to make claims that are likely off-base.

I mean, I would think that anybody here who reads and/or interjects with any number of Zan's "exposition/scholarly" topics on this very forum would get that sort of thing by now.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #988 on: May 23, 2010, 04:09:12 PM
I mean, I would think that anybody here who reads and/or interjects with any number of Zan's "exposition/scholarly" topics on this very forum would get that sort of thing by now.

Don't you also mean the Marshmallow - Hype back and forth argument topics?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #989 on: May 23, 2010, 04:26:30 PM
Discussions between Zan/me/Marshmallow Man are about storyline theory and implications, translated sources, and localization errors.  This is about one's personal opinion as to gameplay quality.  There's a world of difference.  And yes, I rant about gameplay quality as much as anyone (watch me rip apart X5).  One can easily say "I don't know why you bash such-and-such" having fully read your posts and simply not agreeing with your logic as to what does and doesn't constitute an enjoyable game.  That's the way personal opinion works.  As such, there's no real point in asking them to read a 10-40 page rant.  Especially not on Sonic, which God knows has been torn apart from every possible angle over the years.

Eggman's levels were fine. He handled well enough. It's when you got to Tails and realised how [tornado fang]ing terribly he managed to handle that it was like "Why god why?!"
I kinda agree with this except I don't see a difference in how they handle.  To me it's just bad character management: Tails may be a handy man but he is not a mirror to Eggman.  He doesn't sit on his butt and let machines do the work for him when it comes to adventuring.  Gameplay-wise, I don't have a problem with Tails in SA2, I just feel that from a story/concept standpoint shoving him in a walker was a lousy choice.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #990 on: May 23, 2010, 06:16:17 PM
Conversely I just disliked everyone's gameplay but Sonic and Shadow's and wished it were more like SA1.  The only character I didn't like in -that- game was Big.  Even Amy had an entertaining story mode.

It was actually Knuckles and Rouge's stages I hated the worst, though.  It was fun in SA1, but the changes they made for SA2 just sucked the enjoyment out of it.  After spending an hour in Pumpkin Hill listening to that horrible music loop OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, I never wanted to play another treasure hunt stage again.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #991 on: May 23, 2010, 07:20:10 PM
Oh, I love Bad Rap Music in the Pumpkin Patch. It's so bad.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #992 on: May 24, 2010, 10:41:28 AM
I LOVEEE Pumpkin Hill music.
It was the only thing that didn't make me turn off the game at that stage... again. : P

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #993 on: May 24, 2010, 12:07:16 PM
I kinda agree with this except I don't see a difference in how they handle.  To me it's just bad character management: Tails may be a handy man but he is not a mirror to Eggman.  He doesn't sit on his butt and let machines do the work for him when it comes to adventuring.  Gameplay-wise, I don't have a problem with Tails in SA2, I just feel that from a story/concept standpoint shoving him in a walker was a lousy choice.
There's a very noticable difference. With Tails, he always feels clunky and his turns or slow and cumbersome. I mean, they're in giant mechs, but Eggman's is a bit more fluid than Tails.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #994 on: May 24, 2010, 08:51:27 PM
Not to mention it's unnecessarily difficult keeping 100 rings in a few of his stages. Eternal Engine Mission 2 is so damn cheap.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline X-3

• ???
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #995 on: May 24, 2010, 11:42:54 PM
MY POWER IS FADING

I've always found it strange how little stages Shadow actually got in SA2. I think it was 4 or something. I guess you could say the Hero Story is more geared towards well-known speed with it's majority of stages being Sonic's, while the Dark Story focuses more on shooting and hunting.

Offline Megaman X

• DA BEST HUNTER
  • RPM Irregular
  • MEGAMAN [tornado fang]ing X
    • View Profile
Reply #996 on: May 25, 2010, 12:19:25 PM
woah sonik FOR?!1

dis is gona be awesum

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #997 on: May 25, 2010, 12:24:50 PM
Lrn2English please. As Quickie said, if you want to be a productive member, use proper spelling and punctuation, or at least try. txtspk and other crap like that isn't really permitted here.

Then again, she also said not to feed the trolls...

Offline Megaman X

• DA BEST HUNTER
  • RPM Irregular
  • MEGAMAN [tornado fang]ing X
    • View Profile
Reply #998 on: May 25, 2010, 12:28:20 PM

Then again, she also said not to feed the trolls...

wat u meen?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile