Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (Wii, PS3, 360, iPhone)

HokutoNoBen · 245803

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #700 on: March 21, 2010, 01:52:24 AM
B) Hated by Sega/Sonic Team's inner sanctum of Execu-bots, including that one President or whoever we have on record saying he hated the Genesis games. Those reasons are why.

You mean the same guy who basically gave a middle finger to when the games had ACTUAL platforming and momentum-based speed? The same guy who said that "Sonic is not for you!" (implying that nobody over 13 has no right to complain about the series)? 8D

Is there any wonder why guys like me can't stand guys like him, for all he does to just serve as an all too apparent reminder that Sega/Sonic has no idea what the flying [tornado fang] they're doing with the franchise? 8D

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #701 on: March 21, 2010, 02:09:35 AM

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #702 on: March 21, 2010, 02:45:25 AM
you can say that they didn't make any thing that has been outright TRIFLING in scope, much less anything that could be described as "not worthy of being another number attached to an established series".
I'd honestly debate that with 9, given the "fake difficulty" issues, among other things.  I like 9, mind you, but I find it "so-so", and not really able to stand up to the other entries in the franchise, either before or after (10 was a surprisingly stronger effort.

Even so, that was one time.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #703 on: March 21, 2010, 03:06:40 AM
wow. that was a weird choice. why couldnt they just, you know, done the "wheel" on its own? Like old sonic? this DOES look weird.
Maybe the storage space for downloadable games was so cramped, they had to save on unique sprites to fit everything in?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #704 on: March 21, 2010, 03:12:21 AM
I doubt that to be the case given that the effect they're pasting over is very nearly as large as Sonic himself.

You guys know that in S1-3 Sonic had "blurry feet" if you examined the circle frame-by-frame, right?  Now, yes, his body position while at full speed should be different from the startup run, but having seen only a single in-game frame and a bunch of fan-made mock-ups, I'd withhold judgment on that one.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #705 on: March 21, 2010, 03:36:21 AM
You mean the same guy who basically gave a middle finger to when the games had ACTUAL platforming and momentum-based speed? The same guy who said that "Sonic is not for you!" (implying that nobody over 13 has no right to complain about the series)? 8D

Is there any wonder why guys like me can't stand guys like him, for all he does to just serve as an all too apparent reminder that Sega/Sonic has no idea what the flying [tornado fang] they're doing with the franchise? 8D

Yes.

He's running a company, he's had to sit in on the briefings of upcoming games, he's had to have had some knowledge of those games. And while I can't say 100% certain that's what he hates about the games, I can't really think of any other reason to do so.

But as much as he's at fault, there are plenty of other hands in Sonic's ruin. We've got managers who are too budget and deadline-driven, testers who aren't speaking up, game designers who are letting 40 million Sonic clones run wild and have furry relationships with humans, fans who approve of that sort of thing and eat up the worst part of Shadow's character and that Sonic X cartoon like it's some sort of mana from heaven,

and last but certainly not least,

Stage designers who either make the platforming too stiff or make the whole stage a platformer, the speed segments interrupted (easily, whether by extra added tasks you must perform or poor rail/Gimmick controls), and bottom-open design/tall walls-to-pits/very vague puzzle and color descriptions. All this on top of enemy lifebars and whatever new attack that usually fails to deliver.

I don't blame them for not being able to balance the platforming/speed; that's very hard for new designers who know nothing of the games to do, much less as a matter of a job entirely. And even though it's critical, I'm willing to forgive them on that. But what they have done with Sonic lately, gameplay aside, is a complete abomination, and I only hope Sonic 4 purges it and the people behind it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #706 on: March 21, 2010, 04:23:35 AM
fans who approve of that sort of thing and eat up the worst part of Shadow's character and that Sonic X cartoon like it's some sort of mana from heaven
To be fair, X beats the [parasitic bomb] out of Underground.  Even if that's not saying...anything at all. -AC

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #707 on: March 21, 2010, 05:30:56 AM
To be fair, X beats the [parasitic bomb] out of Underground.  Even if that's not saying...anything at all. -AC
Yeah, afraid so. The only thing that was remotely good about Underground was the intro >_>'

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #708 on: March 21, 2010, 06:20:56 AM
Sonic Underground's theme song was cool, but I think I found one more fitting!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bJKS4GQSWg

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #709 on: March 21, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
Sonic Underground's theme song was cool, but I think I found one more fitting!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bJKS4GQSWg
That is hilariously awesome. I approve.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #710 on: March 21, 2010, 04:49:57 PM
Oh the Jaleel White reference and Full House! Gotta love Bob Saget!

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #711 on: March 22, 2010, 01:07:04 AM
Oh?  Was Jaleel White on Full House once?  Well, I was just thinking one day about how the rhyme structure of "I long for my children, but I have to wait/To act too soon could seal their fate" was similar to "When you're lost out there and you're all alone/A light is waiting to carry you home," and then I thought it would be really funny to try to sing the lyrics of Sonic Underground to the tune of Full House.  But I couldn't produce that, so I did the next best thing and figured out how to fit the Full House theme to the opening of Sonic Underground in a way that incorporated every lyric I could find.  It was just a bonus that there is a Sonic song that sounds like "Everywhere You Look".

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #712 on: March 22, 2010, 01:34:53 AM
It was just a bonus that there is a Sonic song that sounds like "Everywhere You Look".

Coincedentially this show was more music-themed than it gave morals from the "moral of the week" segment. Also I think some Sonic songs were also influinced by existing songs.. eh. I never cared for Underground.  :\

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #713 on: March 22, 2010, 07:15:58 PM
Wait... people still HATE on Sonic X? HOLY [parasitic bomb] THAT'S HILARIOUS!

I stopped hating on it long time ago, and came to actually enjoy it. I agree, that Chris is an annoying [lightning web] in the first series, but in Metarex Wars, he's actually not annoying, and I can approve of him.
I mean, what's not to like about Sonic X? Eggman is hilarious. He actually has some sort of personality. That one episode during Metarex Wars, where he was supposed to find Sonic for the Metarex, and then he let them go on purpose, even tough he knew where they were, was great.
Shadow is... well, Shadow. Tough he's much better than his SHtH version.

Amy is [tornado fang]ing hilarious too, and they actually give her some personality, just like Eggman.

Cosmo is HNNNNGGGHHHH!

Knuckles is like ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA ORAAAA!

Tails is... well, he's pretty shallow actually. Tough, I never liked him.

Most of the original characters are awesome too. Loli in a wheelchair? I'M IN!

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #714 on: March 22, 2010, 07:36:47 PM
People still hate Sonic X maybe for the fact a flurry of personas that are based on Cosmo's race has spawned on DA. I have yet to see a FanMetarex.  XD

At least here Tails wasn't only for show, I still remember some where he was completely useless.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #715 on: March 22, 2010, 09:18:11 PM
Sonic X introduced
1). Shadow's being able to remove his gold rings to unlock more power, (he did it in the SA2 Arc when they warp Ark out of its collision course- and then Sega put it into Sonic '06 in Shadow's ending)
2). Dark Super Sonic. I mean seriously, [tornado fang] yes. Im still waiting for Sega to bring Dark Supersonic into the games.

And I dont know about you guys, but for all of 4kids suckery, I found Sonic X's 4kids intro be be extremely catchy.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzO6SV9txpQ[/youtube]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #716 on: March 22, 2010, 09:21:03 PM
Ohohoho.
Did someone just say... GOTTA GO FAST?

You're damn right we GOTTA GO FASTER FASTER FASTER FASTER FASTER.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #717 on: March 22, 2010, 09:25:25 PM
Anyone remember the old SatAM cartoon? The one the comics were based on? I often wonder why they even included Antoine. He did NOTHING but act like a stereotypical French ponce, get in the way and make a nuisance of himself. At least in the recent comics he took a level in Badass.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #718 on: March 22, 2010, 10:00:43 PM
2). Dark Super Sonic. I mean seriously, [tornado fang] yes. Im still waiting for Sega to bring Dark Supersonic into the games.

It's this kinda faggy emo [parasitic bomb] that kids these days eat up. The last thing we need is this in a [tornado fang]ing game. I mean, isn't Darkspines Sonic close enough for you?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #719 on: March 22, 2010, 10:10:03 PM
Faggy emo [parasitic bomb]? I just thought the concept was pretty cool. I mean, if Sonic used the negative energies of the emeralds or some [parasitic bomb] like that.
Darkspine IS pretty cool, yes, but that's Darkspine.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #720 on: March 22, 2010, 10:20:06 PM
I wouldn't necessarily call it faggy emo [parasitic bomb], but it is cliché as all get out.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #721 on: March 22, 2010, 11:54:21 PM
Darkspine > Dark Super.  Sadly, the World Rings are probably in the same boat as Super Emeralds. 

Anyone remember the old SatAM cartoon? The one the comics were based on? I often wonder why they even included Antoine. He did NOTHING but act like a stereotypical French ponce, get in the way and make a nuisance of himself. At least in the recent comics he took a level in Badass.
It's not really all that recent.  Antoine has been relatively competent in battle ever since hooking up with Bunnie (waaaaay back in #46, IIRC).  I do like how recent issues have him being the oldschool nervous wreck in battle but without being worthless, it's a nice balance.  The shot of him jumping on the Genesis-styled prison switch was just awesome.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #722 on: March 23, 2010, 12:04:02 PM
It's this kinda faggy emo [parasitic bomb] that kids these days eat up. The last thing we need is this in a [tornado fang]ing game. I mean, isn't Darkspines Sonic close enough for you?
Hey, well, It's not really faggy and emo. I mean, Sonic was more like RRRRAAAAGEEEEE than CRAWLLLIIIIIING IIIIINNN MYYYY SSSPPPIIINNNEESSS!

Besides, it was there for whole few seconds, and then... Eggman came in again, and showed how [tornado fang]ing awesome he is, by getting Sonic to calm the [tornado fang] down.
(also Bokkun kicking Black Narcissus' ass)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #723 on: March 23, 2010, 07:19:57 PM
True. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. If it had turned into a whole arc or something, then it would've been [tornado fang]ing terrible.

But it's the premise itself, the hero having a temporary dark turn, that's still tired and stupid and gay. And it is the [parasitic bomb] faggy emo kids eat up and put in their crappy AMVs and fanfictions.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #724 on: March 23, 2010, 07:54:32 PM
But it's the premise itself, the hero having a temporary dark turn, that's still tired and stupid and gay. And it is the [parasitic bomb] faggy emo kids eat up and put in their crappy AMVs and fanfictions.
I like when hero has a PERMAMENT dark turn. Shame it doesn't happen too often. : <
As for the faggy emo kids that put [parasitic bomb] like this into eyyy-emmm-veees... yeah, I can't disagree with you there. I even remember going on youtube once, looking for Sonic amvs... only to find, that most of them were using some DARK, AND HIP, AND COOL METAL BAND. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

(many of them begun with lol YAMI SUPAA SONIKKU)