Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 141839

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #450 on: August 16, 2010, 08:24:20 AM
However, my point is, you cant say its a "shitty" game when it all boils down to simply your opinion on control schemes. The game is far from shitty, and If Lou says its shitty, probably for the same reason as you- the same goes for him.

You could say, "I think it has a shitty control setup" or something similar, but you cant exactly say the game is shitty when youve never played it, and when there is not much complaint over the game being shitty. X7 for example, is generally widely accepted as being a rushed game that should have baked some extra time in the Cap-Oven.

And yet Xtreme 2, while people may berate it for its graphics or sound, (or dare I say it- control setup) otherwise is hailed as a generally good game. Maybe part of that comes from how bad Xtreme 1 was, granted,  but thats still doesnt mean the game itsef isnt good. the game itself is pretty damn good. Feels just as good as the SNES games.

My overall point is really, in the end, against you calling it an overall "shitty" game just over your preference of controls... To me, its just as stubborn as the X7 deal. (except, X7 IS somewhat shitty. I like it, but I cannot deny its failures.)

I think we should stop arguing about Megaman now... :\

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #451 on: August 16, 2010, 08:56:25 AM
However, my point is, you cant say its a "shitty" game when it all boils down to simply your opinion on control schemes. The game is far from shitty, and If Lou says its shitty, probably for the same reason as you- the same goes for him.

Um, actually I can say it's a shitty game, because I think it has shitty controls, thereby making it a shitty game. Isn't it amazing how opinions work that way? LoL, and as I have stressed the past 2 posts, I trust Ninja Lou's opinion far, FAR more than yours or anyone else on this board. being that he has been playing MM games before some of the people on this board, including you if I'm not mistaken, were ever born. I've known him for a good 17 years now, and if he tells me the control scheme is shitty, and that it is a shitty game, then that is all the proof I need.

You could say, "I think it has a shitty control setup" or something similar, but you cant exactly say the game is shitty when youve never played it, and when there is not much complaint over the game being shitty. X7 for example, is generally widely accepted as being a rushed game that should have baked some extra time in the Cap-Oven.

Oh but I can. If the testimony of one of my longest known MM expert friends wasn't enough to convince me, I actually watched Vixy stream it on her Justin.TV channel, and it looked horrendous, with her complaining about the controls at times during her live stream, dying due to limited shitty controls. That's now visual proof, as well as a minor complaint at times as well as a major one from my longest known MM playing friend. They have told & shown me reasons why never to play the game, and you and ShellIris have yet to provide a solid argument as to why I should play a limited game over the SNES/PS1/PS2 X series games, other than "It's got better Dash Mechanics" and "PLAY THE DAMN GAME ALREADY, PB!" XD

And yet Xtreme 2, while people may berate it for its graphics or sound, (or dare I say it- control setup) otherwise is hailed as a generally good game. Maybe part of that comes from how bad Xtreme 1 was, granted,  but thats still doesnt mean the game itsef isnt good. the game itself is pretty damn good. Feels just as good as the SNES games.

Hahaha, bullshit. If it felt as good as the SNES games, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If they remade the game for the DS or PSP, or hell even the GBA, I wouldn't have a problem with it. IN FACT, THEY DID REMAKE A SNES GAME FOR THE PSP. It's called Maverick Hunter X, and guess what? I didn't have a problem with the control scheme at all! Can you guess why? 8D

My overall point is really, in the end, against you calling it an overall "shitty" game just over your preference of controls... To me, its just as stubborn as the X7 deal. (except, X7 IS somewhat shitty. I like it, but I cannot deny its failures.)

And my point is that I can call it whatever the hell I want. You yourself just said that it "has the simple misfortune of being limited by its hardware" and it is that limitation of controls (not graphics or sound) why I think it's a shitty game. I don't play X7....or soon didn't play X7....because the main character of the series, X, had to be unlocked. It has nothing to do with the controls of the game, the sound, etc. It's a stupid reason based entirely on stubborn principals, and I fully admit to it! However the Xtreme games will never be played, not due to story, character, or principals, but rather because the X style of MM game play is not suited for an NES controller, and I cannot play it like a true X game, therefore making it shitty in my opinion.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #452 on: August 16, 2010, 09:06:15 AM
I did like X7, but the controls were bad (example: Air Forces stage) at times. There were completely unnecessary features too. And having to unlock X was a bit dumb.

As for Xtreme, the controls can be bad. It is limited.

And if one ever needs to know the story elements included in those games, there's a handy timeline to consult.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #453 on: August 16, 2010, 09:49:28 AM
you and ShellIris have yet to provide a solid argument as to why I should play a limited game over the SNES/PS1/PS2 X series games, other than "It's got better Dash Mechanics" and "PLAY THE DAMN GAME ALREADY, PB!"
Surely as a Megaman fan you have to have SOME urge to play or "try em all" dont you? At least it works that way for me. I heard X7 was bad, but I wanted to play it anyway to see what I personally made of it, despite others opinions, no mater how "expert".

Also, funny, but I never found the controls to be a problem, or to limit my actions, resulting in death. Maybe I just adapted, but when i died, I died an honest death, because I made a bad play while fighting a boss.

But then again, im not Vixy. And although I would like to be it- Im no Megaman expert.

Whatever. You hate it, Me and Shelly love it, opinions opinions, we all have em.

If Shelly wants to add to the discussion he can just jump right in, but im done trying, and going to bed.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #454 on: August 16, 2010, 10:03:46 AM
Surely as a Megaman fan you have to have SOME urge to play or "try em all" dont you? At least it works that way for me. I heard X7 was bad, but I wanted to play it anyway to see what I personally made of it, despite others opinions, no mater how "expert".

Nope. No urge whatsoever. That's Ninja Lou. He will play every series game, no matter how much he hates it or how much it can [acid burst] him off, and he will suffer through it and beat it because he's "hardcore" like that. I am not that type of gamer. No matter how much I love a series, if a game frustrates me, I simply put it away and never touch it again.

Also, I do not have the time that my younger, less responsibility plagued youth afforded me to play games anymore. I still have to play through the Zero series (I should pick up that DS collection for my trip) and finish the Legends series (and before you jump on me for this, I never owned a PS1 and I got a PS2 later than a lot of people) and plus new games just keep coming out, like the soon to be released Metroid: Other M game. So my gaming time is somewhat limited.

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #455 on: August 16, 2010, 10:45:39 AM
I didn't even know people still harp PB over not playing the Xtreme Games. I mean, sure, they're okay if you wanna get over their dodgy controls and enjoy Mega Man X on a bus ride or at school or something, but they're really not worth going out of your way to play.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #456 on: August 16, 2010, 10:49:28 AM
As I said, if you need to know what happens storywise in them, there's a handy timeline. Not that there's much to know.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #457 on: August 16, 2010, 10:59:23 AM
(and before you jump on me for this, I never owned a PS1 and I got a PS2 later than a lot of people)

Oh Ive never played Legends myself. I was juuuust getting into Megaman when Legends was out, and I just didnt care about it. only NOW do I regret that, considering finding a COMPLETE copy of both games costs just as much as a brand new game nowadays. And not only am I lazy, but low on cash to buy them.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #458 on: August 16, 2010, 11:03:23 AM
Pfft... who needs PHYSICAL copies? :D

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #459 on: August 16, 2010, 11:14:44 AM
Pfft... who needs PHYSICAL copies? :D
Because pirating Legends 2 and Tron Bonne is a fruitless endeavor. For whatever reason, no matter how clean your rip, you're always going to get graphical errors and what not.

And of course, [tornado fang]ing ebay has jacked the prices up so ridiculously that trying to get a legit copy requires an arm and a leg.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #460 on: August 16, 2010, 03:24:55 PM
*looks at the usual "PB being stubborn and everyone else tying to convince him he's wrong" arguement that happens every single time Xtreme2 is mentioned*

...was I the only one to not have any single trouble with the controls at all even with the first Xtreme game and had no idea people called them shitty before?

Anyways...when was Other M coming out again?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #461 on: August 16, 2010, 03:35:43 PM
Anyways...when was Other M coming out again?
August 31st for NA
September 3rd for EU
September 2nd for JP & AU

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #462 on: August 16, 2010, 06:11:43 PM
Oh Ive never played Legends myself. I was juuuust getting into Megaman when Legends was out, and I just didnt care about it. only NOW do I regret that, considering finding a COMPLETE copy of both games costs just as much as a brand new game nowadays. And not only am I lazy, but low on cash to buy them.

Well if you're ever interested, I know a store in the city that sells both of them.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #463 on: August 16, 2010, 06:48:18 PM
Well if you're ever interested, I know a store in the city that sells both of them.
I am VERY interested. Id always prefer to buy them in a shop or something rather than online.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #464 on: August 16, 2010, 06:53:42 PM
The store is called Video Games New York. It's on 6th St. and Bowery.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #465 on: August 16, 2010, 07:14:18 PM
a solid argument as to why I should play a limited game over the SNES/PS1/PS2 X series games

Because the game is epic. But that's your loss.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #466 on: August 16, 2010, 07:16:09 PM
I'll happily take that loss! XD

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #467 on: August 16, 2010, 08:26:50 PM
I miss when this was a thread for Other M.  Man, those were the days.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #468 on: August 16, 2010, 09:57:07 PM
I haven't seen graphical errors on DASH 2 at all.

Now Tron Bonne... I need to get ePSXe to work to play that, since pSX doesn't support it.

Anywho, Other M... can't wait for day 1 reviews.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #469 on: August 17, 2010, 12:29:02 AM
Well, I'm psyched for Other M, but there's only so much one can talk about a game that they're incapable of playing yet.

Or "deals with [acid burst] poor controls cause Iris is in game!"  8)
Please, if Iris were my only concern, I'd stick to my X4 voice hack and be done with it.

Never once in Xtreme2 will you cancel out of a support unit because some moron decided to leave the weapon switch on the back side of your controller.  Neither so will you ever dash directly into a pit because of some inexplicable game-enforced dash-jump lag.  That's two counts on which MM10's controls are a LOT shittier than Xtreme2's, and you don't see me boycotting that game.

And never forget the Ultimate Buster.  It's like RMRM Blues, except in a game that doesn't otherwise suck.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #470 on: August 17, 2010, 12:37:32 AM
Oh God... I had forgotten all about that!

Not only is it like Blues, but BETTER. Ultimate buster can be paired with buster+ 1 and 2, speed shot, and the games rapid fire, to cause RAAAAPE. It's far better than X6's Ultimate buster.

Which is another cool thing. The game's rapid fire. Its like a MACHINE GUN
*re plays Xtreme 2*

Also, Save your breath Hyper- He is clearly bent on never playing it for the dash controls meaning a lack of Dash wall kick meaning he cant play it how he likes to, and because Lou thought it was as shitty as Xtreme 1. (although that is a comparison that really deserves a magical fish /Zee uppercut)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #471 on: August 17, 2010, 12:42:40 AM
I don't doubt it, but I get bored.

So, when HE tells me the control scheme for Xtreme 2 is pretty much just as shitty as Xtreme 1, that's the only opinion I need to hear.
Just to reiterate what Flame said, Lou is wrong.  Period.  Whether you like Xtreme2 and whether it is superior to Xtreme1 are two different questions.  Xtreme1 has no air-dash (which adds a LOT; with proper momentum it makes dash-wall-kicking obsolete) and uses Select as a dash button, which is completely senseless.

The MMZ game I played seemed to control pretty flawlessly.
What value is there in the controls that redundant saber skills seek?

Fish Fang, FTW.

No dash button = no dash jumping off walls, which sucks for an X game.
You must really hate Hyper Dash.

And uh....Xtreme1 has an auto-dash-wall-kick.  Not my idea of a good upgrade, but I'm just saying, it's there.

I actually watched Vixy stream it on her Justin.TV channel, and it looked horrendous, with her complaining about the controls at times during her live stream, dying due to limited shitty controls.
Wow.  Just, wow.  I never knew that Vix sucked that badly.  And this is coming from somebody who found a unique way to die on MM10's Easy Mode, for God's sake.

If you're going to blame an Xtreme2 death on something, you could at least blame it on the screen size.  Anybody who honestly got killed by Xtreme2's control setup, well, I can't imagine how the Zero series doesn't eat them alive.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #472 on: August 17, 2010, 01:00:55 AM
And uh....Xtreme1 has an auto-dash-wall-kick.  Not my idea of a good upgrade, but I'm just saying, it's there.
I was just about to mention that.

So- ironically, theres more chance of PB playing Xtreme 1, other the one of the two which is actually good?

Also, may I add, in the Xtreme titles, X at least- seems faster than on the SNES, even without the dash. His normal walking speed alone has GOT to be at least 1 percent faster than usual. which makes dashing alone something not exactly necessary.

And this is coming from somebody who found a unique way to die on MM10's Easy Mode, for God's sake.
Im curious.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #473 on: August 17, 2010, 01:04:53 AM
Never once in Xtreme2 will you cancel out of a support unit because some moron decided to leave the weapon switch on the back side of your controller.

Use a goddamn Classic Controller then so you don't have to contort your goddamn hand to avoid the goddamn B button. Or just, you know, teach yourself not to do it. If you have enough goddamn hand control to move a goddamn Wiimote and goddamn Nunchuk at the same time in goddamn Godzilla, you should have enough goddamn hand control to not push a goddamn button.

Oh the goddamn irony of control issues.[spoiler]In case you couldn't tell, the repeated use of goddamn is meant to show how goddamn hilarious I find all this.[/spoiler]

Back to Other M for a second, now that the trailers are showing more of the game, I realize now how much more fantastic this game is going to be. For the longest time, there were only indoor areas being shown. Not that this made me think the entire game was going to be in space stations, mind you. But some of the other areas, like the fire and ice worlds, look beautiful. Why not hype up the art as well as the story, huh?

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #474 on: August 17, 2010, 01:06:39 AM
Well I think I will purchase and enjoy Other M.