Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 141854

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #400 on: August 13, 2010, 11:00:26 PM
Am i the only one who thinks Samus' voice fits perfectly? I was skeptical before about having her speak in this game period.
It's fine, I'd say. Sounds better than it did before. I could never understand why some people can actually rage over something like this. Although it's much worse with Zelda fans. ("a semi official game with terrible VAs and lame cartoon neither of which Nintendo was involved with is a perfectly legitimate reason for Zelda games not to have voice acting!")

also I'm worried there being no mention of Prime will lead to some people starting that "Prime is not canon" crap again.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #401 on: August 13, 2010, 11:53:42 PM
I don't think they covered Prime there because the Trilogy mostly stands by itself. It doesn't really depend on the first game for setup, and nor does RoS depend on the Primes. They concentrated on the numbered games cause they all relate to the Metroids and Space Pirates.

And yes, Samus sounds great. But that doesn't mean Link should ever talk again.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #402 on: August 14, 2010, 01:24:50 AM
That vid rubs off any bit o' smudge of worry I have left of Jessica Martin's performance~

I look forward to hearing it once more whenever the NA NC updates~

Oh yeah, there is supposively gonna be a new trailer of Other M to be shown at GTTV tonight at 12:30 AM Pacific time for NA television most likely.  

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #403 on: August 14, 2010, 01:31:12 AM
I don't think they covered Prime there because the Trilogy mostly stands by itself. It doesn't really depend on the first game for setup, and nor does RoS depend on the Primes. They concentrated on the numbered games cause they all relate to the Metroids and Space Pirates.

And yes, Samus sounds great. But that doesn't mean Link should ever talk again.
Well, Link wasn't meant to talk(nor be a character at all) in the first place. He was suppose to be an AVATAR!

Zelda, Ganon, and the rest of the NPC's, however, have no excuses. They really couls have good voices.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #404 on: August 14, 2010, 02:46:33 AM
That I absolutely agree with.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #405 on: August 14, 2010, 06:28:51 AM
God damn it, he set the video to private now.

I dont suppose someone managed to snag it before then, no?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #406 on: August 14, 2010, 07:09:48 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1CHQ2YOFTc[/youtube]

Posted on: August 13, 2010, 11:32:51 PM
Exclusive Action Trailer

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #407 on: August 14, 2010, 02:29:08 PM
DAT NEW TRAILER!!!  :V

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #408 on: August 14, 2010, 03:50:28 PM
Well, Link wasn't meant to talk(nor be a character at all) in the first place. He was suppose to be an AVATAR!

Zelda, Ganon, and the rest of the NPC's, however, have no excuses. They really couls have good voices.

Link already talked in Sound and Drama.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #409 on: August 14, 2010, 10:01:24 PM
i just noticed now but the grapple beam is on the wrong arm ;__;

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #410 on: August 14, 2010, 10:14:16 PM
i just noticed now but the grapple beam is on the wrong arm ;__;
It was originally on the right arm in Super Metroid.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #411 on: August 14, 2010, 11:02:27 PM
Oh nice, 3D Speed Booster and ShineSpark. Hopefully we don't have any MorphBall Shinesparking required to get some expansions.

Also, is that the ability to turn Abilities on and off? I'm liking this game more and more every time I see it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #412 on: August 15, 2010, 03:41:30 AM
But that doesn't mean Link should ever talk again.
EXCUUUSE ME, Princess!

Link already talked in Sound and Drama.
Further, ever since LttP, there have been obvious instances where Link is speaking to the NPCs, his dialogue either being represented by a bunch of ellipses or a brief darkening of the screen.  Link's silence is a matter of presentation, not of character, and there is a HUGE difference.  It works for a text-only game where the player is expected to use their imagination, but in a voiced title, a silent hero is an uninvolved hero.  And that's not who Link is.  Look at Twilight Princess, he's the friendly village go-to guy, and big brother to all the kids.  A character like that ceases to be believable if everyone's talking to him and he never says a word in return.

This is why I despise the "IGN Zelda mentality" of Link remaining silent in an otherwise fully voiced game.  It's naive and ignorant, first of all, to claim a presentational issue as a character development issue.  Further, I've seen the "silent hero in a voiced game" treatment in Dragon Quest 8 already, and it accomplishes absolutely nothing except to make the main character boring and shift virtually all focus to the supporting cast.

Posted on: August 15, 2010, 03:38:30
also I'm worried there being no mention of Prime will lead to some people starting that "Prime is not canon" crap again.
I suggest we hog-tie and castrate all people who suggest this of ANY video game series without either an extremely heavy contradiction or a developer statement as evidence.  The willingness of fans to selectively ignore titles never ceases to amaze and annoy me.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #413 on: August 15, 2010, 04:28:16 AM
Look at Twilight Princess, he's the friendly village go-to guy, and big brother to all the kids.  A character like that ceases to be believable if everyone's talking to him and he never says a word in return.

sucks for you, then.

a silent hero is an uninvolved hero.

I disagree.

Having him not speak is one of the things that makes him a unique character in my book. We already know that he is an established hero/warrior, and it's really up to the player to decide how exactly he relates to the situations that follow throughout the game; whether it's trying to rescue the princess or pressing onward to defeat Ganondorf. To me it's almost like having a created character, and (as cheesy as it may sound) going through the game somewhat through your own eyes. It also creates a slate for people to speculate on what type of personality Link has. And even then, Nintendo has had Link demonstrate a variety of facial expressions (like the feeling of "shock", pain, joy or nervousness).

Link is already given courage and bravery, and that should be enough.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #414 on: August 15, 2010, 05:44:28 AM
sucks for you, then.

I disagree.

Having him not speak is one of the things that makes him a unique character in my book. We already know that he is an established hero/warrior, and it's really up to the player to decide how exactly he relates to the situations that follow throughout the game; whether it's trying to rescue the princess or pressing onward to defeat Ganondorf. To me it's almost like having a created character, and (as cheesy as it may sound) going through the game somewhat through your own eyes. It also creates a slate for people to speculate on what type of personality Link has. And even then, Nintendo has had Link demonstrate a variety of facial expressions (like the feeling of "shock", pain, joy or nervousness).

Link is already given courage and bravery, and that should be enough.
I think you misinterpreted his post. He was explaining why he's for Link being silent, but he thinks the NPCs should remain silent as well to keep the illusion going stronger. I'd have to agree with him in this case.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #415 on: August 15, 2010, 05:59:31 AM
I think you misinterpreted his post. He was explaining why he's for Link being silent, but he thinks the NPCs should remain silent as well to keep the illusion going stronger.

Hmm... i guess you're right (this is what happens when you post right after recovering from a flu). Well, looks like my entire post went to [parasitic bomb] now in terms of the argument, huh? 8D

Either way, my opinion still stands.

Offline dragontamer272

• Resistance Member
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
Reply #416 on: August 15, 2010, 07:13:12 AM
You know what's crazy? All the time I mentioned here (and other sites) that I freakin' hated Metroid so much so many times... but now... I seem to like it.

I kinda do look forward to Metroid Other M, a game for 2D (Platformer) and 3D (FPS) fans.

The only Metroid games I own so far are: Metroid Prime (also included a Bonus Disc for MP 2: Echoes), Metroid Fusion, Metroid (unlocked by using NGC GBA Cable), and Super Metroid (downloaded on my Wii).

But by far, my favorite game is "Metroid Fusion".

Visit my art gallery at deviantart today. http://dragontamer272.deviantart.com/

Yes, I am now one of those so-called "Bronies".

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #417 on: August 15, 2010, 07:20:25 AM
The willingness of fans to selectively ignore titles never ceases to amaze and annoy me.

Then they should've made X7 and the Xtreme games better!  8D

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #418 on: August 15, 2010, 03:25:25 PM
Exclusive Action Trailer

I definitely see the Varia Suit in that trailer, but strangely it doesn't have the fins on the shoulders either.  Oh well.  Looks like I was right, anyway... the suit she starts the game with is the vanilla Power Suit.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #419 on: August 15, 2010, 05:06:16 PM
Other M is starting to get more and more interesting for me.

Well my favorite games from the Metroid series Metroid Prime 1 (the original release without the Echoes Bonus Disc), Super Metroid (played this on emulator though I'm planning to download this to my Wii), Metroid Prime Triology, and the NES Metroid (played this on Metroid: Zero Mission). Though my personal favorite is Zero Mission; really did a good job recreating the NES Metroid along with the addition of items from the other games like the Speed Boost and implemented Samus' abilities like wall jumping into the game.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #420 on: August 15, 2010, 05:46:47 PM
My favorite Metroid is Zero Mission.  The soundtrack to that game kicks ass beyond all sane reasoning.

Exclusive Action Trailer
Freaking awesome in every sense of the word. 8)

Hmm... i guess you're right (this is what happens when you post right after recovering from a flu). Well, looks like my entire post went to [parasitic bomb] now in terms of the argument, huh? 8D

Either way, my opinion still stands.
Fox pretty much had it.  What I'm saying is that IF they were to voice Zelda games, it'd be stupid to leave Link out of it.  But I'm fine with the current presentation of Link as a silent hero in a text-dialogue game.  I just don't believe that presentation works in a fully voiced game, which is something I've seen a lot of the gaming press push for.  "Voice the entire supporting cast, but leave Link silent."  Rubbish, I say.

Then they should've made X7 and the Xtreme games better!  8D
*gives him ZEE UPPERCUT!!*
You mean X7 and Xtreme1.  Xtreme2 cannot possibly be any better without migrating hardware.  Not a bad idea, mind you, but it's as good as any GBC X game will ever get.

Speaking of which, I will GLADLY take Xtreme2's dash mechanics, with the blessing that is proper air-dash momentum, over Bass's in MM10.  That dash-jump lag is intolerable.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Tenshi

• 天使の伝説
  • Robot Master
  • ミソラちゃん
    • View Profile
Reply #421 on: August 15, 2010, 06:21:46 PM
 That new Metroid trailer made me wet myself with it's sheer awesomeness. -_-

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #422 on: August 15, 2010, 06:26:53 PM
You know what's crazy? All the time I mentioned here (and other sites) that I freakin' hated Metroid so much so many times... but now... I seem to like it.

I kinda do look forward to Metroid Other M, a game for 2D (Platformer) and 3D (FPS) fans.

The only Metroid games I own so far are: Metroid Prime (also included a Bonus Disc for MP 2: Echoes), Metroid Fusion, Metroid (unlocked by using NGC GBA Cable), and Super Metroid (downloaded on my Wii).

But by far, my favorite game is "Metroid Fusion".

Gee I thought Super Metroid was the worst game ever according to you. See now, this is what happens when you actually play the game before forming a retarded opinion.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
    • View Profile
Reply #423 on: August 15, 2010, 07:48:44 PM
Man, where'd all the Zero Mission love come from all of a sudden? I thought I was the only one who liked that game the most.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #424 on: August 15, 2010, 07:53:28 PM
I guess you never heard me talk about Metroid before.  Zero Mission isn't just my favorite Metroid, it's pretty much my favorite GBA game.