Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 140139

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #600 on: August 29, 2010, 04:21:57 AM
I didnt really catch most of that other M pirating technobabel, but my pal, (remember Lilwolf?) is curious if burning Other M to a disc requires a dual layer DVD due to the size.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #601 on: August 29, 2010, 04:48:43 AM
Yes, it does.

...and I'm not even sure if it works well.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #602 on: August 29, 2010, 02:22:33 PM
btw getting 100% items unlocks Hard Mode

Hard Mode removes all Items except story required items
so its basically just you 99Energy and 10 Missiles
good luck

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #603 on: August 29, 2010, 03:15:53 PM
That's already a given on one thing.

I'm not trying it. I [tornado fang]ing hate Hard Modes that limit the game instead of expanding it.

I also hate how save points automatically save the game instead of asking you if you want to save like in other titles. Sometimes, I just want to heal up.

...and the fact that there are no health or missile pickups. You recharge missiles on your own (kinda stupid to even have missile ammo then) and if you're almost dead, you can recharge your health on your own up to one single life bar.

Not just that, enemy attacks take alot of your health away, so taking away pickups is generally stupid, because you end up having a single life bar as a standard in alot of the game's different parts.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #604 on: August 29, 2010, 03:57:16 PM
well still there are certain attacks and monsters especially during [spoiler]After Mission[/spoiler]
that can take away 99 energy in one attack
good you will survive that with the 0/1 Energy but its rather unlikely you can recharge your energy fast enough
well you can no damage the game though good luck trying that except early Heat areas

ok so the "Second Chance" ability is removed during Hard Mode

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #605 on: August 29, 2010, 04:15:40 PM
I'm not trying it. I [tornado fang]ing hate Hard Modes that limit the game instead of expanding it.
...BROTHER!  Why did we waste so much time fighting?!

Yeah.  I might try Hard Mode once for the sake of satisfying my ego, but if it's just an item handicap then I'll never touch it again.  Sounds to me like deja vu from the Zero/ZX games.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #606 on: August 29, 2010, 05:55:11 PM
So I found out some guy is remaking Metroid 2.
http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/
There's a tech demo as well as a sort of mini-metroid game, Confrontation. Tried the latter, it's short but sweet. Just wish I could figure out how to morph-ball shinespark...
Also, trailers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wkr8samEBQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amL8eLfn0yo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyvCxkeBgYs

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #607 on: August 29, 2010, 06:14:39 PM
thats pretty old news though
i wish the project would be finished soon
not sure if its abandoned

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #608 on: August 29, 2010, 07:16:24 PM
Latest Blog entry reads August 10th, so looks like the project's still alive.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #609 on: August 29, 2010, 09:23:08 PM
That's already a given on one thing.

Yeah, the game will be harder, but at what cost? I'd rather have tougher enemies and more enemies than have the game hold you back to make you more cautious and thus prone to messing up more.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #610 on: August 29, 2010, 09:27:53 PM
...BROTHER!  Why did we waste so much time fighting?!

Yeah.  I might try Hard Mode once for the sake of satisfying my ego, but if it's just an item handicap then I'll never touch it again.  Sounds to me like deja vu from the Zero/ZX games.
Because you think Shadow the Hedgehog has redeeming features. =P

And yeah. If it's a mode that simply limits the game... why? I can limit the game myself by not getting the health upgrades in the first place, but that's counter-productive.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #611 on: August 30, 2010, 07:31:35 AM
Needs more Ultimate Mode. Samus has all abilities and the Hyper Beam.

IT'S LIKE I'M SHOOTING SKITTLES EVERYWHERE!

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #612 on: August 30, 2010, 07:34:23 AM
IT'S LIKE I'M SHOOTING SKITTLES EVERYWHERE!
SHOOT THE RAINBOW!

*AIEEEEEEE* *BOOM*

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #613 on: August 30, 2010, 11:53:50 AM
Played a bit more so far. You know, I'm liking the game much more, but it's still much too linear. I know you can come back to previous areas, but the whole thing's such a straight line that you never really backtrack, just appear in past areas when required.

But the action parts and bosses are really, really well-done. Although I still lament the loss of pickups.

...oh, and Adam is a [tornado fang]ing [dark hold].

Very mild spoilers here, not of story, but just of stupid situation:

[spoiler]"Okay this is like, the sixth [tornado fang]ing room of fire and lava that I enter, and it saps my energy bit by bit. I've spent about 20 minutes in these places already, they're tough to go through. I wonder if there's a..."

"HEY SAMUS I'M LIKE... TOTALLY AUTHORIZING THE VARIA SUIT. CAUSE YOU NEED IT. TO PROTECT YOURSELF. IN THIS REALLY BIG HEAT YOU'VE BEEN TRAVERSING FOR AWHILE."

...wut

I can understand a military chief authorizing WEAPONS, which are things which can cause major distruction in a ship. But I've seen tons of parts which are only traverseable with the grapple beam, and no authorization. And there was a big room with a switch I needed the Wave Beam on. I didn't get it. I had to go through a whole damn labyrinth to get to it in the first place I backtracked a whole damn lot, and got to a part where monsters were killing me from another side of the wall. Guy waited a big while before telling me "LOL U SHOULD TOTALLY USE WAVE BEAM HERE I'M AUTHORIZING IT". You know, how about authorizing weapons that made all of those bosses I've faced EASIER?[/spoiler] I don't even know why Samus is obeying this guy so blindly. Since it's an SOS she received, she's probably got jurisdiction to do whatever the hell she wants and screw the Federation. Hasn't the Federation proven to be evil before anyway?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #614 on: August 30, 2010, 01:09:41 PM
Only in Fusion I think. Which technically hasnt happened before. Before then- Federation was just fine. Hell, they gave her free stuff like PED suits and the like.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #615 on: August 30, 2010, 03:26:24 PM
In Fusion it was more that the Federation brass was making stupid decisions and trying to warmonger.  They couldn't get it through their heads that the Samus-X would destroy everything ever if it got off the station.  So they probably weren't too happy with Samus when she crashed the thing into SR-388 and annihilated them both.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #616 on: August 30, 2010, 03:58:44 PM
They were evil in the manga, but I dunno if it's canon.

...but seriously, it's [tornado fang]ing bullshit. I pass through a Super Missile door and a Grapple Beam hook every five minutes. Many of these lead to easily-seeable-upgrades on the other side. Samus just doesn't have a damn mind of her own in this game. Couldn't she just have the excuse to be wearing a new prototype suit or something? Since it doesn't look much like her old suit, it would be a good excuse. She doesn't even get the big shoulders when she goes Varia. And Adam waits for me to tango with an unbeatable enemy for a bit before even authorizing me the weapon before I die. It's like the guy wants me to die. Not even small thanks or congratulations when I beat a boss, save someone or do something else.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #617 on: August 30, 2010, 04:26:57 PM
And Adam waits for me to tango with an unbeatable enemy for a bit before even authorizing me the weapon before I die.

Well, the guy's not psychic, it's not like he can know you'll absolutely need the weapon before the battle. Yeah, the whole autorization thing can be kinda stupid at times but at least it makes some sense. As for why she obeys him, it's a little bit of him being her superior in the mission, him being an important person for her, and bit of spoilers.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #618 on: August 30, 2010, 04:38:35 PM
Well, the guy's not psychic, it's not like he can know you'll absolutely need the weapon before the battle. Yeah, the whole autorization thing can be kinda stupid at times but at least it makes some sense. As for why she obeys him, it's a little bit of him being his superior in the mission, him being an important person for her, and bit of spoilers.

and because he said to her "Follow my Command!" and she agreed

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #619 on: August 30, 2010, 08:52:47 PM
Manga is canon, Superbat. But they werent Evil there... Not that I remember. There was that one chairman who was all about war and taking the pirates to war and all that jazz, but as of the end of the manga, Keaton was appointed Chairman, and he was a more peaceful guy. if anything, they just had a serious disregard for others. they were attacking Zebes to get rid of the pirates, regardless of any hostages or not. Which is why Adam allowed Samus 42 hours to get in, get the hostage Chozos, and get out before him and the fleet got there.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #620 on: August 30, 2010, 10:01:47 PM
Well, the guy's not psychic, it's not like he can know you'll absolutely need the weapon before the battle. Yeah, the whole autorization thing can be kinda stupid at times but at least it makes some sense. As for why she obeys him, it's a little bit of him being her superior in the mission, him being an important person for her, and bit of spoilers.
He can see your weapons are having no effect. And he saw me try to press a switch I absolutely needed for progression 20 minutes before, before I backtracked, fought the monster, and had to go back to press the switch only because the guy granted me permission only after I was almost dying there.

...not just that... making me suffer through tons of fire life-sapping rooms before granting me the Varia suit? Why did he grant me the thing THEN? Hell, why doesn't Samus switch to a more powerful weapon to kill a tough enemy when she's almost dying? Makes no sense.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #621 on: August 30, 2010, 10:10:16 PM
Video Game logic? :V

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #622 on: August 30, 2010, 10:34:13 PM
FINALLY.
[spoiler]Adam is a [tornado fang] who keeps saying "Any objections, Lady?" in order to annoy Samus. I get to a part where it's too damn long to jump normally. Samus gets sick of it, just unlocks both Space Jump and Screw Attack by herself.

"Any objections, Adam?" (with the biggest in-your-face tone I've ever seen. Now THIS is the Samus I know.[/spoiler]

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #623 on: August 31, 2010, 01:49:57 AM
I need to stop reading spoilers, but that last one does put my mind at ease. 8)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #624 on: August 31, 2010, 02:18:13 AM
Man, I missed the space jump. "Flying" around feels like Super Metroid.

...just as an aside, I find it hilarious how people are bitching about Samus' personality being revealed as insecure and emotionally unstable. After so many years of having an almost-silent protagonist in all of the Metroid titles, somehow, people got the mental image that Samus was some kind of ultimate badass beneath her armor, and being constantly referenced as a fantastic example for all female characters worldwide. "This is how you make a female character who is strong and brave!"

The moment they started showing MORE of Samus, was the moment that people started disliking her. Making her hot in Smash Bros? She's always been hot according to 100%ed game endings, but actually SHOWING it? No way. Now giving her an actual personality, realistic in the fact that she saw both her families be slaughtered (in theory making her BATMAN SQUARED), and presently maintains a mentality of respect for people who respect her in return, and a narration of the events that brought her to where she was in the first place? (along with grief for the only creature who had ever protected her in her entire life, out of love?) This is purely realistic. Samus can't be some kind of female Duke Nukem to get in a planet, exterminate all of its creatures and get out. Her narration of the events is extremely Ender Wiggin style (From the Ender's Game book, for the few of those who don't understand the reference) which is actually fine by me, because although it's insecure and respectful, she realises she has a task to do, and NEVER shys away from it.

This is Samus Aran. A human being, just like you and me. Get used to it.

...Adam is still a [tornado fang]ing [dark hold], though.