Metroid Discussion Thread

LightningKitsune · 141830

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #425 on: August 15, 2010, 07:54:33 PM
Zero Mission has always been my second favourite Metroid, to be honest. Fusion had a lot of ideas that I liked, but I wasn't a fan of the locking of sectors off (much like most people).

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #426 on: August 15, 2010, 07:55:38 PM
Personally, I just hated the suit.  But, once I buckled down and played it, yeah, it did seem a little overly linear.  Still a solid title, though.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Tenshi

• 天使の伝説
  • Robot Master
  • ミソラちゃん
    • View Profile
Reply #427 on: August 15, 2010, 08:20:31 PM
Zero Mission was awesome but, Super and Fusion are tied for my favorite and Prime 1 is a close second. Zero Mission comes after prime 1 for me.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #428 on: August 15, 2010, 08:58:01 PM
I definitely enjoyed Zero Mission, but it wasn't my favorite Metroid game ever.

That still goes to Prime 1.  Although who knows, maybe Other M will blow it out of the water for me.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #429 on: August 15, 2010, 09:21:37 PM
*gives him ZEE UPPERCUT!!*
You mean X7 and Xtreme1.  Xtreme2 cannot possibly be any better without migrating hardware.  Not a bad idea, mind you, but it's as good as any GBC X game will ever get.

Nope! I meant both Xtreme games, fanboy!  :P

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #430 on: August 15, 2010, 09:48:54 PM
I definitely enjoyed Zero Mission, but it wasn't my favorite Metroid game ever.

I liked Prime 2 somewhat more than Zero Mission. And Super is just all around more enjoyable thanks to not needing a Morph Ball Shinespark (Something the GBA games overdid.) In fact, I think the GBA ones would've benifited from a run button, that way theres no automatic Speed Boosting (I didn't like how it was handled in the GBA Games.)

I'm not saying that I hate Zero Mission and Fusion. But if I want to get 100% I don't want to have to go out of my way after Beating the game to find 5 more Missle Expansions that can only be obtained by tricky shinesparking (Something i've only been able to achieve once.) I'd rather it was obtainable using the Screw attack or something.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #431 on: August 15, 2010, 09:58:27 PM
I guess you never heard me talk about Metroid before. 

I guess I haven't.

And Super is just all around more enjoyable thanks to not needing a Morph Ball Shinespark (Something the GBA games overdid.)

Uh, Fusion didn't have Ballspark. That's MZM only. Even so, there's only like four places that need it. Super's Shinespark was always annoying to do. Whenever I wanted to go sideways, the game wouldn't let me. And the fact you lose health when you do it is kinda gay. Fusion fixed all that, made it much more user friendly.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Tenshi

• 天使の伝説
  • Robot Master
  • ミソラちゃん
    • View Profile
Reply #432 on: August 15, 2010, 10:57:19 PM
Super's Shinespark was always annoying to do. Whenever I wanted to go sideways, the game wouldn't let me. And the fact you lose health when you do it is kinda gay. Fusion fixed all that, made it much more user friendly.
Yeah, I hated that too. I died from that once >.>. In Fusion, the fact that you didn't take any damage was nice. I hope that it isn't a pain to do in Other M, given the controller limitations.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #433 on: August 16, 2010, 01:05:40 AM
I don't get why Super used anything but the D-Pad to steer the shinespark.  Just makes the thing more trouble than it's worth.

Morph-ball shine sparking is somewhat pointless, but I don't see it as detracting from the game either.  It's used rarely enough.  It just is what it is.

Nope! I meant both Xtreme games, fanboy!  :P
Notify Webster: "Fanboy" has been redefined to mean, "knows how to press the Jump button in mid-air".

BAZINGA!!!

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Tenshi

• 天使の伝説
  • Robot Master
  • ミソラちゃん
    • View Profile
Reply #434 on: August 16, 2010, 01:37:35 AM
You only need Morph Ball Shinesparking to get 100% in Zero Mission, because some items can only be obtained with it. It's annoyingly tricky to the point that I never even bothered to beat that game 100%.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #435 on: August 16, 2010, 01:40:33 AM
Notify Webster: "Fanboy" has been redefined to mean, "knows how to press the Jump button in mid-air".

BAZINGA!!!

Or "deals with [acid burst] poor controls cause Iris is in game!"  8)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #436 on: August 16, 2010, 01:41:01 AM
I was happy that I did manage to get 100% in MZM. The thing is, you had to backtrack to get everything.
It was a good under-2-hours run that I was proud of, and I can manage to do a any% casual run in 40 minutes too. Good times. x3

The things I liked with MZM was revisiting the original game but totally remade, including the map itself.
It was a completely new experience and there were some cutscenes that made the game feel exciting too, along with the GBA-quality music. ^^
And so many power-ups were added with inspiration that we know and love from Super Metroid.

Kraid was so big! XD

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #437 on: August 16, 2010, 01:52:36 AM
Yeah, Zero Mission did rock... :D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #438 on: August 16, 2010, 02:01:07 AM
I was happy that I did manage to get 100% in MZM.

Did that myself too. Of course, it took me a good 3-4 hours... :\

And, despite the awkward controls for the Super Shinespark and the loss of health. I rather liked it that you could activate it when you wanted with a Run button. Something that will probably never be seen again in a Metroid game, instead opting for automatic running that is about the same speed as walking.

Uh, Fusion didn't have Ballspark. That's MZM only. Even so, there's only like four places that need it.

I'm aware that Fusion didn't have the Morphball Shinespark. But I'm mentioning that Nintendo made an awful lot of Speed Booster Puzzles in Both Fusion and Zero Mission. Personally, I'd prefer finding hidden rooms with an extra one possibly hidden under a Power Bomb Block. Or even tricky Morphball mazes, but thats just me. I think if they eliminated some of the Speed Booster Puzzles people would complain over a lack of difficulty with getting hidden items.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #439 on: August 16, 2010, 03:04:39 AM
Damn I look forward to playing Zero Mission and Fusion.  Just by the comments here :D

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #440 on: August 16, 2010, 04:39:26 AM
That's the main thing I liked about Prime.  No Speed Booster puzzles. -_-

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #441 on: August 16, 2010, 04:55:12 AM
Or "deals with [acid burst] poor controls cause Iris is in game!"  8)
I could care less about Iris, and I find NO problem with Xtreme 2's control.

Its just you who doesnt like the controls.

Xtreme 2 has some of the most solid controls, coupled with proper dash momentum. pressing the jump button midair for an air dash is actually easy as opposed to pressing another button for the dash. and down+jump for ground dash was not too bad either. Now, if it had been at the least a GBA game, then maybe it would have used shoulder buttons for dashing.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #442 on: August 16, 2010, 06:05:27 AM
I could care less about Iris, and I find NO problem with Xtreme 2's control.

Its just you who doesnt like the controls.

Xtreme 2 has some of the most solid controls, coupled with proper dash momentum. pressing the jump button midair for an air dash is actually easy as opposed to pressing another button for the dash. and down+jump for ground dash was not too bad either. Now, if it had been at the least a GBA game, then maybe it would have used shoulder buttons for dashing.

LoL, but you also admittedly like "shitty" games with "shitty" controls, so guess how valid your opinion is to me?  ;)

And yes, if it had been a GBA game, then obviously I wouldn't have had a problem with the controls. The MMZ game I played seemed to control pretty flawlessly. But alas, NES controls for a SNES controller type game just sucks.  No dash button = no dash jumping off walls, which sucks for an X game.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #443 on: August 16, 2010, 06:48:39 AM
Never said anything bout shitty controls. I can ignore a games flaws, but within the megaverse, even X7 had alright controls. it was just the dash wall kicking that was broken. (which is engine problems, not controls)

But then again, im talking to the picky guy who (besides not playing Xtreme 2 just because of his usual control setup preference) wont play X7 because X is not available from the start.

What do you do with Bass in 10 then? do you refuse to play as him because his dash uses the slide controls? (I may remember wrong- but I dont recall 10's bass having command dash)

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #444 on: August 16, 2010, 07:17:06 AM
Never said anything bout shitty controls. I can ignore a games flaws,

Oh if but I had the energy and overall caring to peruse one of the old Sonic topics to counter this point! XD

But then again, im talking to the picky guy who (besides not playing Xtreme 2 just because of his usual control setup preference) wont play X7 because X is not available from the start.

What do you do with Bass in 10 then? do you refuse to play as him because his dash uses the slide controls? (I may remember wrong- but I dont recall 10's bass having command dash)

And I 100% admit that my reasons for not playing X7 are stubborn and entirely based upon stubborn principals. Again, to me it's like having to unlock our dear Samus Aran in her own game series. But I digress, as I shall be *shudder* forced to play that....probably Tuesday, actually!  Someday next week, anyway. 8D

And in all honesty I have not played as Forte yet in MM10, so I couldn't tell you. I've only beaten it with Blues & Rock. However, if we are comparing Bass to Xtreme X, slide-dash controls were never my problem. It was not being able to dash-jump up or off of walls. Since last time I checked, Forte cannot grab & slide down walls like our beloved Maverick Hunters, so if this remains true then no I shouldn't have a problem with Forte.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #445 on: August 16, 2010, 07:20:42 AM
Your going to be forced to play X7? D: Why dont you get forced to play Xtreme 2 instead? Its a much better game, and you cant dash jump up walls in either of the two, so why not choose the " lesser evil "?

Also- if you admit that not playing X7 is based on a stubborn principle- Would you admit the same for Xtreme 2?

it's like having to unlock our dear Samus Aran in her own game series.
YOU PLAY AS A METROID AND UNLOCK SAMUS HALFWAY IN WHEN UMM... WHEN SHE REGAINS HER FULL POWER SUIT AFTER LOOSING IT TO A NEW MISSION. 8D

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #446 on: August 16, 2010, 07:31:24 AM
Sooo, Fusion?

The Other Side

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #447 on: August 16, 2010, 07:38:06 AM
Your going to be forced to play X7? D: Why dont you get forced to play Xtreme 2 instead? Its a much better game, and you cant dash jump up walls in either of the two, so why not choose the " lesser evil "?

Also- if you admit that not playing X7 is based on a stubborn principle- Would you admit the same for Xtreme 2?

Because said person forcing me to play X7 wants me to experience the horrors of how shitty that game really was. It's a torturous friendship we have! We're also gonna sit down and watch Dragonball: Evolution as well. XD

And no, there's a difference. I didn't play X7 because of the principal of having to unlock the main character of his own goddamn series. It had little to nothing to do with the controls of X7. I actually don't even know how awful the controls of X7 really are, because I didn't even play enough of the game to remember it. I only go by what MM expert Ninja Lou has told me.

Xtreme 2 is different. I won't play that because the control scheme sucks. It's forcing me to play an SNES controller scheme style game on a NES controller. If I wanted to play NES controller style MM games, I'd play the Classic series. Hell, on the GB, I'd pop in the far, FAR superior MM World games.  Also with the Xtreme games, I also go by what MM expert Ninja Lou has told me, who's MM opinion I trust more than anyone else in the world. No matter what, no matter how terrible the control scheme is or how shitty the overall game is, Ninja Lou will suffer through it because he's a true, hardcore MM fan. So, when HE tells me the control scheme for Xtreme 2 is pretty much just as shitty as Xtreme 1, that's the only opinion I need to hear.

YOU PLAY AS A METROID AND UNLOCK SAMUS HALFWAY IN WHEN UMM... WHEN SHE REGAINS HER FULL POWER SUIT AFTER LOOSING IT TO A NEW MISSION. 8D

Was this a GB/GBA Metroid game I don't know about. In terms of portable Metroid's, I've only played The Return of Samus.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #448 on: August 16, 2010, 07:47:11 AM
So, when HE tells me the control scheme for Xtreme 2 is pretty much just as shitty as Xtreme 1, that's the only opinion I need to hear.
is it Lou whos making you play X7? XD

Also, DISAGREEMENT! Xtreme 2 has better controls than Xtreme 1. I strictly recall Xtreme 1 actually setting the select button for the dash. :| I havent played it in a while so I dont remember much about that game anymore though.

But control scheme aside, you cannot dash jump up walls in X7 either because of its broken engine.

I STILL say that its a stubborn opinion when Xtreme 2 is a damn fine game with the simple misfortune of being limited by its hardware. Hell, its up there on my top favorites list along with X4.

Was this a GB/GBA Metroid game I don't know about. In terms of portable Metroid's, I've only played The Return of Samus.
T'was a joke, sir.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #449 on: August 16, 2010, 08:07:08 AM
is it Lou whos making you play X7? XD

HAHAHA, oh dear me no. Ninja Lou is many things, but he does not believe in torture of the mental kind. He forces me to play good games, like Chrono Trigger or Perfect Dark.

Also, DISAGREEMENT! Xtreme 2 has better controls than Xtreme 1. I strictly recall Xtreme 1 actually setting the select button for the dash. :| I havent played it in a while so I dont remember much about that game anymore though.

Like I said, I trust Ninja Lou's opinion more than anyone else in regards to MM.  Hell, I trust his opinion more than anyone else when it comes to pretty much gaming itself. He is an older, wiser, and much more experienced gamer than pretty much.....well I'd say everyone on RPM.  8)

Also, I said pretty much just as shitty, which means that they might be a tad better, but not enough to make me play it.

But control scheme aside, you cannot dash jump up walls in X7 either because of its broken engine.

Then I'm looking forward to this torture even less!  :V

I STILL say that its a stubborn opinion when Xtreme 2 is a damn fine game with the simple misfortune of being limited by its hardware. Hell, its up there on my top favorites list along with X4.

a damn fine game with the simple misfortune of being limited by its hardware.

the simple misfortune of being limited by its hardware.

limited by its hardware.

-AC

See. Look at what I just bold quoted above. Get ready now. Pay attention...

THAT'S WHAT I SAID!  THAT. WAS. MY. POINT.  It is an SNES style game limited by the hardware it's on. The key word there being LIMITED, as in, the controls are LIM-IT-ED! It is that limitation why I don't play the game. Why would I play that game over any of the SNES/PS1/PS2 X series games, which do not limit my control options?