CyberXIII · 56161

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: November 15, 2009, 07:34:23 AM
Nakayama should do all the designs for X9. 8D
Nay. I prefer my bulky X series.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: November 15, 2009, 12:38:54 PM

I totally wouldn't mind. That one MMZ styled X (there exists a single artwork and some figurines) looked really damn cool.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #77 on: November 15, 2009, 02:31:23 PM
MMZ-style X is fan-based.  There's Copy X, Cyber-Elf X, and Model X, that's it.

Shall I fetch the Anime into to X3?   8D
X3 isn't even physically capable of keeping track of which armor Zero is wearing.  Proper running is the LEAST of that trailer's worries.

And X4's cutscenes are hardly the epitome of consistency either, as quite a few design details are glazed over.  However, while we're on that note, recall that Zero is shown running in his opening cutscene, full-body.  Recall also, for Zero vs. Sigma, that leg overlap is dramatic and stuff (ask Ruby Spears X).

I believe we established that slimming on the level of MHX is acceptable.
*UPPERCUT!!*
There is no greater X-series artist than Sensei.  If they're not bringing him back they can at least respect his awesomeness.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: November 15, 2009, 02:39:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the one I'm talking about was made by Nakayama himself. Just not for a game.
(Still looked better than the designs they used in the MMZ games).

Meanwhile, I rediscovered this piece of fanart and I think it would be a nice concept for X9:

While I dislike the models in MMXCM I think that X's new armor looked really damn rad. Doesn't look too bad on Zero either.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: November 15, 2009, 02:49:58 PM
I recall no such Nakayama design, the figure was simply done by someone imitating his style.  Why wouldn't it have been in MMZOCW otherwise?  The thing has a metric ton of concept art.

Nakayama can't even do his own series artwork right IMHO.  Have you seen the ZX artwork that was done by him?  He makes Vent and Aile look like 10-year-old drunks.  And all of his artwork leaves a sketchy unrefined look (see Z1 mugshots).  Makoto Yabe seriously one-upped him when it comes to Zero/ZX art.

Anyways, XCM's armor is a canonical change and not a style change, thus why it was not applied to Zero or Axl.  Between X6 and Z3 it is pretty well established that Zero doesn't receive such a treatment in the storyline.  Even if you're going to retcon that, doing so requires placing X9 post-XCM.  Which would leave the Axl shpiel rather horridly broken up.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: November 15, 2009, 02:54:30 PM
I'd post it if I could find it. Looked really damn cool. I know it's in the fanart thread but I can't be arsed to look through there.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: November 15, 2009, 03:06:58 PM
You mean this one?

Fanart.  Nakayama's lines aren't that solid.

You mean this figure?

Custom, made by this guy.  Note that they're two different designs.

The is no officially released MMZ-style X artwork or figure.  The only glimpse we got of MMZ-style X was at Yggdrasil in Z2, which Sprites Inc. can help you out with.  That's it.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: November 15, 2009, 03:07:55 PM
That's the figure but the wrong artwork.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: November 15, 2009, 03:09:08 PM
Well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: November 15, 2009, 03:11:34 PM
These are what I meant:

They were a few more pages back.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: November 15, 2009, 03:12:24 PM
Fanart.  Nakayama's lines aren't that solid.

Eriance, I'm guessing.

The only glimpse we got of MMZ-style X was at Yggdrasil in Z2, which Sprites Inc. can help you out with.  That's it.

"Help". I find the glimpse we had in MMZOCW a bit better.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: November 15, 2009, 03:19:40 PM
Also, I don't really get the complains about Nakayama's lineworks. I think they're fine.

Eh, opinions I guess.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: November 15, 2009, 03:28:36 PM
Sure as hell looks cleaner than his ZX Tunes cover, I'll give you that.

These are what I meant:
Fanart.  The depth of the armor detailing is exaggerated (not that I don't do the same thing with X-series Zero's shoulders; old habit from the model kits), and Zero's vest and buster are both wrong.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: November 15, 2009, 03:33:24 PM
I can't read Japanese but I think the creator of those kits mentioned that they were actually drawn by Nakayama.

And the fact that these versions look different is no indication at all. The sketches in the Complete Works have a MUCH higher degree of details. The final designs looked dumped down and bland in comparison.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: November 15, 2009, 04:25:54 PM
Ive heard that they guy said Nakayama drew them. I dont tend to believe it, simply because its just too good to be true that he just so happened to agree to make this guy these images. Wouldnt the guy have to pay him for it?

But they DO have a serious resemblance to his style.
their look means jack [parasitic bomb], especially since they were made for this guy's model kits.

anyway, I do like that XCM Zero, he looks pretty scary, like he could kill with his helmet alone, but no. :P I want X series Zero to stay X series Zero.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Cpie

• Master Artist as well
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: November 15, 2009, 04:26:45 PM

This looks silly:

i see what artwork you're speaking of, but i'm fed up of searching the whole site to find it :/

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: November 15, 2009, 04:27:43 PM
haha... Those were the alternate color parts he made. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: November 15, 2009, 05:51:20 PM
X3 isn't even physically capable of keeping track of which armor Zero is wearing.  Proper running is the LEAST of that trailer's worries.

And X4's cutscenes are hardly the epitome of consistency either, as quite a few design details are glazed over.  However, while we're on that note, recall that Zero is shown running in his opening cutscene, full-body.  Recall also, for Zero vs. Sigma, that leg overlap is dramatic and stuff (ask Ruby Spears X).

I believe we established that slimming on the level of MHX is acceptable.

But yet X3 shows the physical impossibility that his builky legs have so perfectly.

LoL, did you even read my conversation with Flame?  When Zero runs in the opening scene, you see his legs for literally a second or less, so it's impossible to judge.  Haha, and as dramatic as it may be, it's still physically IMPOSSIBLE!   :P

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: November 15, 2009, 06:22:31 PM
Late to the conversation, but Nakayama isn't the ZX series artist. I remember hearing that the artist for the series was a Capcom employee who was trying to match the style used in the Zero series (and dropped the visual ball hard coming from the Zero series art). Secondly, Acid's right, Nakayama when he really gets into it has some sick levels of detail with his art. I think an X done by him would be phenomenal. I'm not championing him for the job though, I just thought it'd be a cool "what if" scenario.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: November 15, 2009, 06:25:07 PM
I was never a real fan of Zero's Z series look. the helmet is about the only part I really think looks interesting. X himself does seem to fit in with the look well though.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: November 15, 2009, 06:27:08 PM
Different strokes I guess. I loved it ever since I saw the Megaman Zero 2 box art. (First Megaman game I bought.)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #96 on: November 15, 2009, 06:38:09 PM
I would prefer  bit of a happy medium. (the style used i the second Zero manga has legs that look like some sort of cross between X series and Zero series. I liked that)
Or, a bit more detail on the design itself. It felt lacking.

Actually, some of the concepts are pretty kick ass.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #97 on: November 15, 2009, 08:21:20 PM
Well, if you want Zero-series style with better detail, that's basically what ZX is.  And that's where it should stay, IMHO.

Late to the conversation, but Nakayama isn't the ZX series artist.
He did some of the concept art.  But I have seen little if any finished art from him outside of his one ZX Tunes piece.

When Zero runs in the opening scene, you see his legs for literally a second or less, so it's impossible to judge.
I am referring to Zero's opening, not the game opening.  Two different scenes.

Haha, and as dramatic as it may be, it's still physically IMPOSSIBLE!   :P
Just like balancing yourself during a dash.  Nobody cares.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #98 on: November 15, 2009, 08:36:40 PM
Eriance, I'm guessing.

You guessed right. But it's an old picture. Judging from his style. And it's also back from when he helped working on New Horizon.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #99 on: November 15, 2009, 09:07:21 PM

I am referring to Zero's opening, not the game opening.  Two different scenes.

PB, we mean THIS scene.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPKWq3bHXnU[/youtube]