Keno · 43224

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #100 on: October 25, 2009, 04:25:42 PM
I just wanted to say that this is exactly how I hold the controller when I play the X games.
Who didn't devilishly curve their pointer finger back then?  That's just how you got by charging and dash-jumping at the same time.

I stuck with A/Circle until Zero-series.  Then after picking up XC on GCN, I used L dash as I smited all the GCN controller nay-sayers throughout all six games (B is Special, A is Attack, X is Jump, Y is Giga, R/Z or R/C-Stick depending on console generation is weapon switching).  Since then I couldn't really help but resort to shoulder-button dashing in X7/X8 to complete the set.  Basically I model them after my ZX setup (X/Triangle is Special and R is character/form swap) and use L2/R2 for weapon switching.

The Sigma battles in both of them have much left to be desired, I find.
I like the final Xtreme2 boss, since like the tank boss earlier in the fortress, it encourages teamwork between X and Zero.  Doesn't make it absolutely mandatory, though, which is good.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: October 25, 2009, 04:46:46 PM
Hey, how about that!  Not touching a game due to the controls.   8)

Heh, yeah. Thing is that I had 0 problems with Xtreme's controls while I found Command unplayable.

Also, I can never imagine myself dashing in a Megaman console game with any button other than L.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: October 25, 2009, 05:02:18 PM
Who didn't devilishly curve their pointer finger back then?  That's just how you got by charging and dash-jumping at the same time.

You know, with how many that played the original SNES games couldn't get the hint that L/R dashing was far superior. I really don't see how PB has the nerve to complain about XC and XS's mechanics. Dashing whilst charging and jumping doesn't stop being stupidly clumsy until you change the controls. Yet he still put him with devilishly curved fingers and enjoyed it. If you can do that, what's so bad about using two buttons to dash?

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #103 on: October 25, 2009, 05:07:46 PM
Fans could still change controls back in the 90's and they would still complain.
In fact, X1 was the first Rockman game to let you change control settings.
After that, the first Classic series game with that feature was Soccer and Mega World. :3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: October 25, 2009, 06:39:42 PM
OK, looking at the pictures everyone is posting in this thread on how they hold their controllers, I have come to only one conclusion. You guys are freaks. What is up with that hook you are making to hit L there PB? Are you trying to be The Claw from Inspector Gadget? XD

Align's image is close to what I do, except my hands look a fair bit more relaxed while doing so. As for button layouts:

Direction Pad - Move
L Button - Dash
B Button - Jump
Y Button - Primary Buster/Weapon
A Button - Giga
R Button - Secondary Weapon Charge/Use
Select - Cycle Through Weapons (Hardly Used)

Offline Irgendein

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: October 25, 2009, 06:49:00 PM
I use a keyboard, however for that, I have it like this;

Z - Special Weapon - I use my third finger for this
X - Main weapon - same as above
C - Jump - I use my middle finger
V - Dash - Index finger, as well as everything else below
G - Change weapon Left
B - Change weapon Right
F - Giga
..and D would be L2

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: October 25, 2009, 07:11:38 PM
Thing is, most people who use the L button to dash nowadays only adopted this once the Zero series came out. Well, that seems to be the case from what I see.

Also, I don't understand how you guys like the L for dashing. It feels so ridiculously uncomfortable and wrong for me, so I switch to dashing with the R button. I guess this could be attributed to using my right index finger for so many years to dash.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: October 25, 2009, 07:21:01 PM
i always use A/Circle for dashing. <<

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: October 25, 2009, 07:24:11 PM
So do I when it comes to the console games. What can I say, it feels more reliable most of the time than the shoulder buttons.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: October 25, 2009, 07:52:09 PM
Thing is, most people who use the L button to dash nowadays only adopted this once the Zero series came out. Well, that seems to be the case from what I see.

I was using L before I played the Zero games. Hell, I was using L for running in Super Metroid.

Also, I don't understand how you guys like the L for dashing. It feels so ridiculously uncomfortable and wrong for me, so I switch to dashing with the R button. I guess this could be attributed to using my right index finger for so many years to dash.

Maybe because if dashing was on R, I'd be pressing 3 buttons at a time with one hand, which might feel clumsy. With dash as L, there's equal distribution between both hands; right hand jumps and shoots, left hand moves and dashes.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: October 25, 2009, 07:57:26 PM
I like the final Xtreme2 boss, since like the tank boss earlier in the fortress, it encourages teamwork between X and Zero.  Doesn't make it absolutely mandatory, though, which is good.
What are you talking about? Final Sigma in Xtreme 2 FORCED you to switch between X and Zero. When he was Orange he could be attacked by both characters. When he was red, only Zero could harm him. When he was Blue, only X could. And that was just to get him to reveal the sigma inside!

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: October 25, 2009, 08:01:30 PM
[tornado fang] dashing.
also, greetings once again from Something Awful.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: October 25, 2009, 08:33:08 PM
I really love what I've done to this topic!  XD

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: October 25, 2009, 08:35:49 PM
I really love what I've done to this topic!  XD
And that makes me sad

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: October 26, 2009, 01:18:35 AM
What are you talking about? Final Sigma in Xtreme 2 FORCED you to switch between X and Zero. When he was Orange he could be attacked by both characters. When he was red, only Zero could harm him. When he was Blue, only X could. And that was just to get him to reveal the sigma inside!
Yeah, or you can just wait for him to switch away from the color of the character you don't want to use, if you have a lot of patience.  Does he ever switch back to orange?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: October 26, 2009, 05:50:39 PM
No. I think after he starts switching,  he only switches between red and blue from then on. otherwise, there wouldnt be much challenge, just rapid fire ultimate buster him to death.

EDIT: Did i mention how much I love the devastating potential the buster has in this game? equip X with a  buster up or two, ultimate buster, rapid shot, and then turn on rapid fire.

RAAAAEEEP.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: October 26, 2009, 09:40:25 PM
Wow my thread got big. Don't you guys party on the weekends?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: October 26, 2009, 09:46:06 PM
No. I play videogames and watch anime on weekends.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: October 27, 2009, 12:30:49 AM
Party?  Nope.  Closest thing to a party I get on the weekends is watching anime characters get drunk off of a demonic mist.

Yeah, or you can just wait for him to switch away from the color of the character you don't want to use, if you have a lot of patience.  Does he ever switch back to orange?
Well, Bag beat me to it.

And no, he doesn't.

EDIT: Did i mention how much I love the devastating potential the buster has in this game? equip X with a  buster up or two, ultimate buster, rapid shot, and then turn on rapid fire.

RAAAAEEEP.
I prefer rapid-firing manually, but yeah, it's damn awesome.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: October 27, 2009, 03:21:28 AM
Its a rapid fire rapid fire of charge busters! theyre only X's standard charge shot, but it doesnt matter! it still kills anything.

Offline Keno

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: October 27, 2009, 07:40:58 AM
Oh, well I wasn't home from Friday afternoon until late last night. I was so trashed Saturday night. Like, so trashed.

So I play my X games like this:

If I have 2 more shoulder buttons, I'll pop Giga Attack on one of those & make my right face button weapon scroll right & make the top face button weapon scroll left. I also use that weapon scrolling configuration for anything with no Giga Attacking, like MM8.

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: October 28, 2009, 09:19:40 PM
Since everyone put their control schematics in there I will show you mine too.

Rockman X1-3

Keyboard

W= Up
A= Left
D= Right
S= Down

F= Start
C= Select

(Right side of the keyboard for the numbers)
0= B (Jump)
4= Y (X-Buster)
8= X
9= A (Dash)
+= R
Q= L

USB Playstation Controller

Diagonal Keys as usuall including Start and Select

X= B (Jump)
R1= Y (X-Buster)
Triangle= X
Circle= A (Dash)
Quadrat= R (Weapon Switch)
L1= L

Rockman Zero 1-4

Keyboard

W= Up
A= Left
D= Right
S= Down

F= Start
C= Select

0= A (Jump)
4= B (Z-Saber)
8= R (Bustershot)
9= L (Dash)

X= A (Jump)
R1= R (Bustershot)
Quadrat= Y (Z-Saber)
Circle= L (Dash)

Rockman ZX and Advent

Keyboard

W= Up
A= Left
D= Right
S= Down

F= Start
C= Select

0= B (Jump)
4= Y (Saber Weapons/ Lock on ememies)
8= X (Buster Weapons)
9= A (Dash)
+= R (Overdrive/ Giga Attack)
Q= L (Change Form)

X= B (Jump)
R1= R (Buster Weapons)
Circle= A (Dash)
Quadrat= Y (Saber Weapons/Lock on enemies)
L1= L ( Change Form)
L2= X (Overdrive/Giga Attack)

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: October 28, 2009, 09:22:38 PM
Control mechanics? Steering wheel, RockmanX8 PC, great fun.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: October 28, 2009, 09:27:51 PM
X1-3 square to shoot, circle to dash, x to jump. L1/R1 weapon switch.

X4-6 same, add giga attack to R2

X7 the basic ones...

Well, i guess I just use the default controls. they work for me.

Only  thing I do, is in the Zero series, switch R to weapon switch the weapon instead of the other 2 setable options for the subweapon. ZX I have it as R is the sub weapon.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: October 29, 2009, 01:22:05 AM
Ah yeah, I forgot about Zero/ZX control options.  I go for Switch as well, but ZX is rather clearly not meant to be played that way.  So in that one, Y for main, X for sub (R switches forms).  Other than that (and Command Dash off), default.

Charging two weapons at once isn't the easiest thing that way, but it does make combination attacks like HX's saber combo and OX's Double Charge Wave feel a lot more natural.  I just can't get used to using a shoulder button to attack (unless it's a Giga, anyway, and even that I stopped since getting XC).

Control mechanics? Steering wheel, RockmanX8 PC, great fun.
You always seem to get the ass end of control setups, huh?

:cookie: