HyperSonicEXE · 143498

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #275 on: November 17, 2009, 10:30:43 PM
It is fun. Even when I saw some end-game scenes, I still want to play it!
The game is coming in December in Japan. >oo<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #276 on: November 18, 2009, 01:23:05 AM
All I have to say is that for me this game doesn't compare to SMB3, SMW or SMW2. Still fun, mind you, but it's missing something.

It's one big museum of past Mario awesome in the generic NSMB art style without doing what SMB3, SMW, and SMS did; meaningfully add to the series. SMW lettering and enemies have been used ever since, SMB3 set the series' tone, and SMS pervades through a number of games using some island themes, Piantas, and of course, Bowser Jr.

All of NSMBWii's memorable content was borrowed in some fashion from previous greats. The only new memorable things were Bowser/Jr. hijinks, World 9, and the Koopaling Rematch theme.

That said, it's still GREAT.

Hopefully NSMBWii pays a tribute to all the previous material that forces the devs to "move on", and Super Mario Galaxy 2 solidifies what SMG1 started, which was to contribute to the series like 3, World, and Sunshine.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #277 on: November 18, 2009, 01:53:55 AM
Funny you mention SMS, since most people were disappointed by that one. I liked it to a certain degree, personally. As for NSMBWii... well... I find the controls a bit on the sluggish side at times. Maybe I'm just too used to the older games, but they definitely felt more fluid to me.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #278 on: November 18, 2009, 02:49:54 AM
I can intentionally throw Ninja Lou-igi into a pool of purplicious poison.

This is the greatest Mario game ever.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #279 on: November 18, 2009, 03:01:55 AM
SMSunshine might have been a disappointment to some, but it certainly did its share of work as far as the IP is concerned. Luigi's Mansion started the 3D update, but SMS finished the job by having a full Mario, Bowser, Peach, Toads, and other essential cast fully fleshed out instead of remaining their SM64 polygon counterparts. The same basic models are updated and used in spinoffs and SMG from there on out. SMS also has elements from it in MK:DD, MKDS, SSBB, PM2:TTYD, etc.

Now as for NSMBWii, let me see if I can't recall all, that's right, all, of the influences it has from previous games:
SMB1: Flagpoles, "Sky" bonus levels, underground levels and BGM, hidden vines, boss Switch, some songs and sound effects (fireballs), Koopas not knocked out of shells, Infinite Lives/flagpole trick
SMB2: Toad, POW Block, Carrying items
SMB3: Items on World Map/No in-stage hold, Airships, Koopaling First Fight theme, various enemies, World Map enemy fights, Anchor, songs
SMW: Yoshi, Secret goals, Single checkpoints w/ Mushroom Boost if Regular Mario, Back Door to Ludwig's castle, select enemies and gimmicks (i.e. Chainlink Climbing), World 9 acts like a hybrid of Star Road/Special Zone, block Switch, Koopa Clown Car, Hot Air Balloons
SMW2: Kamek's power boosts, Yoshi Fluttering, Ground pound wave-generating floors
SM64: Select songs (Freeing Toad in the World Map enemy fights), some sound effects (Warp Cannon aiming, Chain Chomp bark, etc.), Koopa Keys, Bowser face on life lost, Wall Kick/Ground Pound/Triple Jump
SMA4: Hint Videos
MK: Rainbow Road-themed World 9 BGM
NSMB: Enemy/music sync, Star Rank/completion, graphical style, hidden areas shown by see-through element, overall stage aesthetics and structure, Star Coins, Warp Cannons, powerups, anything else really

It's one thing for the series to build upon itself, but I think seeing this level of borrowing a third time after NSMB already did so would be very dangerous to the IP's health as far as "going stale".

I can intentionally throw Ninja Lou-igi into a pool of purplicious poison.

This is the greatest Mario game ever.

Strangely enough, I never fell into the poison. Lava, bottomless sky, yeah, but no death by spikes, poison, or electrocution.

And I got my dad to play from the start to W1 Fortress.
...let's just say that picking him up REALLY sped us up. >U<

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #280 on: November 18, 2009, 03:12:24 AM
I just love the Co-OP aspect to it so very very much.  Especially in a Mario game.  I'm really hoping this does insanely well, so that companies (I [tornado fang]ing MEAN YOU, CAPCOM) take note of this, and give us some more 2-D Co-OP games.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #281 on: November 18, 2009, 03:17:04 AM
Yeah, we're severely lacking in X/Zero/Axl and Vent/Grey/Ashe/Aile co-op.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #282 on: November 18, 2009, 03:26:03 AM
I still miss Daisy.  But I can't help but love this game.

Oh, and Aldo, some notes on your tributes:
-SMB1: Infinite lives stomping on a Koopa Shell before the flagpole.
-SMB1/3: Koopas cannot be kicked out of their shells.
-SMW: Koopa Clown Car
-SMA4: Hint videos.
-POW block is originally from Mario Bros. (and yes it DOES work if you bash it from below; Mrs. Shell brought that to my attention)  Only the ability to throw it is SMB2.

And I got my dad to play from the start to W1 Fortress.
...let's just say that picking him up REALLY sped us up. >U<
Same for me and Mrs. Shell.

It seems, no matter how much she likes Mario, she's weakened by the need to follow two characters on-screen.  She can't even play MM2 Power Fighters.  But I did leave Larry to her and she trashed him, so HOPEFULLY she will continue.

I just love the Co-OP aspect to it so very very much.  Especially in a Mario game.  I'm really hoping this does insanely well, so that companies (I [tornado fang]ing MEAN YOU, CAPCOM) take note of this
Damn straight.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #283 on: November 18, 2009, 03:30:14 AM
I still miss Daisy.  But I can't help but love this game.

Oh, and Aldo, some notes on your tributes:
-SMB1: Infinite lives stomping on a Koopa Shell before the flagpole.
-SMB1/3: Koopas cannot be kicked out of their shells.
-SMW: Koopa Clown Car
-SMA4: Hint videos.
-POW block is originally from Mario Bros. (and yes it DOES work if you bash it from below; Mrs. Shell brought that to my attention)  Only the ability to throw it is SMB2.

Heh, Koopa Clown Car is almost spoilers, that's why I didn't post it. Same for Hot Air Balloons.
Didn't know about SMA4's hint videos, though.
POW Block seemed to function like SMB2's the most, so that's that one.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #284 on: November 18, 2009, 03:34:58 AM
Heh, Koopa Clown Car is almost spoilers, that's why I didn't post it. Same for Hot Air Balloons.
Not really, magazine scans confirmed Jr.'s Koopa Clown Car before release.

Although now that we're going that route:

[spoiler]SMW2: Ground pound wave-generating floors.[/spoiler]

POW Block seemed to function like SMB2's the most, so that's that one.
It's more execution than actual function.  The game just happens to not require flipping enemies before killing them, and most POW Blocks are on the floor so hitting them from below is rare.  But really, the core concept is simply, you hit POW, POW hits everything.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #285 on: November 18, 2009, 03:47:20 AM
I love how an in-sync ass stomp from 2 players will create a POW block effect!

Offline Ninja Lou

• Samurai/Ninja of RPM
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Ninjas........Damn
    • View Profile
Reply #286 on: November 19, 2009, 01:43:18 AM

I can intentionally throw Mario the "P"lum"B"er into a pit of closing spikes....

Greatest Mario Game Ever!

This post has been approved by Marle!

Offline X-3

• ???
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #287 on: November 19, 2009, 02:41:38 AM
Just beat it. Great game, though I wish it used the stuff it introduced more. Most of the time something new appears in one level...and then never or rarely appears again.

I took my time getting Star Coins, so now I get to tackle what are probably the hardest parts of the game!

I also played co-op yesterday, and while it was slow because my sister isn't much a video-gamer, it was still fun as hell.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #288 on: November 19, 2009, 02:57:08 AM
I managed to coerce Mrs. Shell into nearly two full worlds of co-op today.  Awesome.

Take my advice, if co-oping with a platforming newbie, best play in levels you haven't been to yet.  They appreciate it when you're finding out stuff together.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #289 on: November 19, 2009, 03:13:43 AM
Just beat it. Great game, though I wish it used the stuff it introduced more. Most of the time something new appears in one level...and then never or rarely appears again.

I took my time getting Star Coins, so now I get to tackle what are probably the hardest parts of the game!

Yes, but as much as SMB3 and SMW are hailed, they both do pretty much the same thing as what NSMBWii has done. All of these games maintain the challenge and surprise by having elements that are semi-unique or unique to each level. The orbs and globs of water in World 7 were VERY cool and a refreshing change of pace. That said, it was a shame considering how much of this game was "borrowed" from past games that some elements weren't used a number of times. I kinda wished that the Switches from SMW made a full-blown return, not a quick cameo...

Uh...the Star Coins are the hardest parts of the game.

Except the ice level in World 9. OH WHAT A HEADACHE THAT SECOND HALF IS.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #290 on: November 19, 2009, 03:36:22 AM
I don't see how anything can be more troublesome than the couple of World 8 levels where constant [parasitic bomb] is raining down on you.  That's one thing from NSMB on the DS that I wish they had axed.  Skies thick with crows and volcano rocks do not make for good platforming.

Seriously, I saw Toad stuck in 8-1 and said, "[tornado fang] it, you're on your own."

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #291 on: November 19, 2009, 04:18:34 AM
My gripe with the game is the same gripe I had with Lost Levels, only this time the headache is optional:

There are many Star Coins and Secret Goals that, in the valid process of finding them, you will either die or waste an incredible amount of time on.

Having fun exploring that level? Time limit.
Know where that hidden path generally is? Oops, wrong pit, you die.
Best of all? We worked so hard designing THIS kind of game that we forgot to keep the levels short, and the reward for your hard work is MORE work.

NO! Playable characters, Godmoding, widgets for your console: anything but just "more of the same"!

Even SMG1 had 2 postcards, an extra level, and playable Luigi afterwards! Luigi and the Toads weren't even available in 1P after completion, and NSMBDS had Luigi!

...although that really just confirms the REAL reason this game is so important to the series. Those who have seen the ending, 'you know what I mean.' ;)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #292 on: November 20, 2009, 03:05:07 AM
Honestly, I don't have any problems with the level design.  It's tricky at times but thus far acceptable (barring the minor World 8 gripe I discussed earlier).  Granted, I do have a lot of Star Coins to go.  But still, it all seems challenging but fair.  Quite addicting, too.

Luigi and the Toads weren't even available in 1P after completion, and NSMBDS had Luigi!
This is my main gripe with the game, honestly.  Character-wise there is so much more appeal that could have been generated with so little effort that I find it almost sickening.  Player 1 *MUST* be Mario?!  That is crap.  There's no reason for it.  No reason Peach can't give her attention to Mario even if he wasn't the one to bust her out of the cage (SM64DS; Yoshi is the first one she notices, not to mention who saved Mario's ass, but Mario still gets the kiss).

Then there's the simple lack of characters.  I said it before and I'll say it again: there is no reason the game should have been limited to Mario, Luigi, and two Toads.  It's an obvious cop-out in a game otherwise reeking of top quality.  Toadette, Daisy, Wario, and Waluigi, that's just off the top of my head.
And why the hell ISN'T Daisy at Peach's Birthday Party, anyway?  That in itself is almost enough to make me consider DFA to be canon. -AC

So, barring the fact that in a 4-player game I'm stuck as Mario, only one other thing bothers me.  This is the one blunder the game shares with Sunshine: improper execution of Yoshi.  I am really, really scared for his usage in SMG2 at this point, Nintendo seems to have forgotten the little dino's place as a proper ally.  Yoshi in this game is almost as rare as his wing bonus stage in SMW.  Why even bother if they're going to kick you off of him at the end of the level?  He deserves better than to be reduced to the gimmick of 5-or-so stages.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #293 on: November 20, 2009, 04:05:29 AM
I got the game, played all of World 1 and some of World 2.

I'm loving it so far. It's more NSMB, basically, which is enough for me.

The overworld inventory is by far my favorite addition. Solves my biggest issue with NSMB, because sometimes for a secret you'd have to use a power-up that wasn't even available there, and you'd risk getting hit and being forced to seek those red ? blocks on the map.

Also, Tiny Mario is so adorable. >w<

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #294 on: November 20, 2009, 04:33:06 AM
Also, Tiny Mario is so adorable. >w<

No hat Mario is great too.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #295 on: November 20, 2009, 06:04:10 AM
They at least evened out the secrets amongst the various suits and forms. Mini Mario has a nominal amount of secrets, really.

I kinda miss having access to items in-stage, but then that's kinda easy.

I'm going to fight the final boss again before calling it a night.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #296 on: November 20, 2009, 10:25:40 PM
I got the everything cleared message in-game and now a five-star profile. I never did see one super guide block the whole playthrough and once you beat the game, it won't activate.

Great game, though. I was happy I kept the final bosses and World 9 (in general) a secret to myself.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #297 on: November 21, 2009, 01:32:12 AM
Yeah, the final boss would have been boring if I had seen it coming.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #298 on: November 21, 2009, 02:25:29 AM
[spoiler=Final Boss]The chase part... oh man, I was actually going, "Oh [tornado fang], oh [tornado fang], oh [tornado fang] (accidentally wallslides into a lava wave) [tornado fang]![/spoiler]

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #299 on: November 21, 2009, 03:06:07 PM
World 3 was amazing. The ghost house, the red switch, the fortress with the rotating blocks, the castle, the whole thing. Wow.

I have all Star Coins so far, plus World 5 and 6 open via secret exits, but I'm gonna play through normally.

This game is great. :D