Sonic Returns In New 2D, HD Game

Kirby Pink · 53767

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: September 11, 2009, 08:07:35 PM
I just want a sonic without overcomplicated story....seriously why did they bother giving Sonic a story at all.....

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: September 11, 2009, 08:52:54 PM
I just want a sonic without overcomplicated story....seriously why did they bother giving Sonic a story at all.....

I fully agree.

And I would have no problem with this if the newer games had concepts that were fully fleshed out and executed. It's also troubling that to me, not one of Sonic's 3D outings has nearly as much replay value as the 5 Genesis games (sans Secret Rings for some insane reason).

Actually, I have a lot of fun replaying Daytime Unleashed levels a lot, trying to A and S rank those. 

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: September 11, 2009, 09:01:07 PM
while having almost no story outside the manual is the safest bet, i feel S3K did in game story right. the small cutscenes and transitions into new zones and acts really helped the presentation.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: September 11, 2009, 09:25:19 PM
while having almost no story outside the manual is the safest bet, i feel S3K did in game story right. the small cutscenes and transitions into new zones and acts really helped the presentation.
That they did, but they were kept very simple overall, which worked in it's favour. No dialogue whatsoever, yet you could pretty much tell what was going on anyways.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: September 11, 2009, 09:36:20 PM

Exactly.  It's simple and not drawn out.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: September 11, 2009, 09:47:00 PM

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: September 11, 2009, 10:31:08 PM
Check out the post under the image.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #133 on: September 11, 2009, 10:32:38 PM
There are words now!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: September 11, 2009, 10:57:04 PM
Indeed there are. Which is why I posted the link, Kyouya.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #135 on: September 11, 2009, 10:58:40 PM
You could have also copy/pasted the relevant information so he wouldn't think you were just late to posting something that was discovered. :U

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: September 11, 2009, 11:18:00 PM
 :V :V

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: September 11, 2009, 11:28:06 PM
Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were as far as Sonic stories should have ever gone.

Anything past that was just ridiculous, save for maybe Sonic Heroes and Sonic Battle.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: September 11, 2009, 11:29:56 PM
Shadow The hedgehog is for all intents and purposes Sonic adventure 2.5

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #139 on: September 11, 2009, 11:31:29 PM
Shadow The hedgehog is for all intents and purposes Sonic adventure 2.5

Shadow Heroes, more like.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: September 11, 2009, 11:59:32 PM
Does that mean Sonic the Hedgehog was Sonic Adventure 3, or what?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: September 12, 2009, 12:02:50 AM
except it had nothing to do with heroes aside from using the same engine. It had everything to do however, with Sonic adventure 2.
Does that mean Sonic the Hedgehog was Sonic Adventure 3, or what?
No.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: September 12, 2009, 12:07:04 AM
So I just saw that the Needlemouse site was for a fan project? I'm gonna laugh if it turns out better than SEGA's Project Needlemouse. XD

Actually, I have a lot of fun replaying Daytime Unleashed levels a lot, trying to A and S rank those.  

I still have to experience the latter 90% of Unleashed 360/Ps3 sometime. The intro stage was wonderful though for the demo I played.

Yeah, I really love that approach to the story progression and wondered why no other games, nevermind Sonic games, have done it more often. Then again, my frame of reference might be somewhat limited.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #143 on: September 12, 2009, 12:11:01 AM
It'd have been less like it if it wasn't for that blasted boss fork in the last five stages, doubling the number of necessary replays without expanding actual content.  That and the overly strict nature of some of the missions were pretty much the game's only drawbacks.

The Last Story stage was pretty awesome though, seeings how with no missions Chaos Control was actually useful.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: September 12, 2009, 12:27:17 AM
I fail to see how it can be compared to Heroes.
But I liked the game. it was fun I thought. Music was great too. But thats just about the only thing Sega constantly gets right.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: September 12, 2009, 12:33:52 AM
>people who aren't seeing the obvious connections to Sonic Heroes

Gameplay and graphics, not to mention Shadow has a "partner" in most levels, and, lookie there, a freakin' super attack that you build as the stage goes along.

Story branches off SA2 and Heroes. Remember, Shadow had AMNESIA LOL. SA2 ended with him dying (for all we knew).

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: September 12, 2009, 12:37:57 AM
If Sega wants to appeal to the older crowd that liked this game when it was 2D, they could do that, but they are too busy stealing your little brothers money to care. But now that they cant think of more crappy characters no one over 7 cares about they want their loyal fans back.
They usally get music righ so now they need ....replayability,lush graphics,online somthing,the GOOD side characters playable, and it needs to be in a package of gold and shining complete with a sonic side character to do your bidding ( im SURE they got enough).

Offline Thanatos-Zero

• RPM Irregular
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: September 12, 2009, 12:50:34 AM
What the...? It is a new character!?
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: September 12, 2009, 12:52:16 AM
>people who aren't seeing the obvious connections to Sonic Heroes

Gameplay and graphics, not to mention Shadow has a "partner" in most levels, and, lookie there, a freakin' super attack that you build as the stage goes along.

Story branches off SA2 and Heroes. Remember, Shadow had AMNESIA LOL. SA2 ended with him dying (for all we knew).
gameplay was really different than Heroes. Nothing like it. you didnt control the sidekick. not unless you had a second player. And they were useless. Plus they would automatically attack things in some cases. And you could switch them off.
The super attack is irrelevant, as Sonic 06 has that too, (to a certain extent).
Shadow never died in SA2. he used Chaos control to get past the atmosphere to a point he wouldnt die. Eggman found him, and took him back. (hence the android clones in Heroes and STHH)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UafoKSTLwhc
go to 3:37 A
Am I THE ONLY one that sees him doing a chaos control?

Posted on: September 11, 2009, 06:51:47 PM
[spoiler][/spoiler]
:\

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: September 12, 2009, 01:13:40 AM
[spoiler][/spoiler]

owob

LoL, bought instantly!