Current Generation Consoles

Psycho Yuffie · 19599

Poll

What current generation consoles do you own?

Microsoft XBox 360
10 (10.1%)
Nintendo DS
35 (35.4%)
Nintendo Wii
26 (26.3%)
Sony PlayStation 3
7 (7.1%)
Sony PSP
20 (20.2%)
None
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:15 PM
Half & half here. I was more of a Nintendo advocate pre-Gamecube era due to their games' consistency and me being too young to buy my own consoles. Sometime during last gen though something clicked and I started branching out everywhere and anywhere I could. Now, I'm just a gamer with a slight tilt towards Nintendo.

Also money. These things ain't cheap ya know. XD
Yeah, the Wii is cheaper, but only very slightly. It's still way too expensive for my liking.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: August 25, 2009, 10:37:54 PM
Wow... So many people have a DS and a Wii. Barely anyone has a PS3. I'm guessing most people here are Nintendo lovers? Or does it have more to do with the games?

Half that, and the other half is that every console is overpriced here. The Wii is around 400 dollars here, now imagine a PS3.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: August 25, 2009, 10:43:14 PM
A Wii here [in the United States] is $250. The cheapest version of a 360 is only $200, while the most expensive version is $400. A PS3 is $300. The 360 is both the cheapest and most expensive system, depending on which version you're buying. The Wii, despite everyone claiming how much cheaper it is, isn't very much cheaper than the other consoles. Conclusion: price isn't an issue here, it's just being used as a flimsy excuse.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: August 25, 2009, 10:46:52 PM
A Wii here [in the United States] is $250.

Yeah, but I don't live there. Every console is almost twice as expensive here.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: August 25, 2009, 10:47:52 PM
But but, what about us people who bought their Wii when the 360 & PS3 were more expensive? D:

Also games.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: August 25, 2009, 10:50:30 PM
But but, what about us people who bought their Wii when the 360 & PS3 were more expensive? D:

Also games.
Games is a better explanation. There's...nothing on PS3. It's like a wasteland of a system. Anything that strikes my interest on the 360 gets released on PC too and I buy that version. Only the Wii has ever struck my interest and now that MotionPlus is coming out, I'm actually considering getting it again.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: August 25, 2009, 10:57:40 PM
Ah, I see someone else here is a member of the Glorious PC Master Gaming Race. XD

Although, there are a few PS3 & 360 titles that make me take a second look at the systems. Most of them however are downloadable titles.

Also, time for a random thought. Does anyone else here think that not having a true successor to the PS2 in terms of diversity and depth of game libraries this gen has worked against console gaming? (In b4 DS is SNES 2 comments. XD)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: August 25, 2009, 11:03:22 PM
Ah, I see someone else here is a member of the Glorious PC Master Gaming Race. XD

I hate how my laptop is brand new and a new model, and yet I still can only get 60fps in SFIV with everything at the absolute lowest setting. Anything above and it avarages to 20fps AT BEST D:

Also, time for a random thought. Does anyone else here think that not having a true successor to the PS2 in terms of diversity and depth of game libraries this gen has worked against console gaming? (In b4 DS is SNES 2 comments. XD)

There are many more things that contribute, but yeah, that too.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: August 25, 2009, 11:05:58 PM
I hate how my laptop is brand new and a new model, and yet I still can only get 60fps in SFIV with everything at the absolute lowest setting. Anything above and it avarages to 20fps AT BEST D:
Okay, everyone, repeat after me:

LAPTOPS AREN'T FOR GAMING.

If you want something that can play games, get a desktop. Laptops don't have the power.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: August 25, 2009, 11:08:55 PM
And what if I told you that the laptop is still the best thing for PC gaming I will ever have for quite a long while? My parents see upgrading the PC as a waste of money, so I'm stuck with quite an old desktop PC =/

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #110 on: August 25, 2009, 11:09:25 PM
But I luff wuff my emulators, doujin and flash games on my lappy-chan~ >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: August 25, 2009, 11:11:36 PM
And what if I told you that the laptop is still the best thing for PC gaming I will ever have for quite a long while? My parents see upgrading the PC as a waste of money, so I'm stuck with quite an old desktop PC =/
My parents think the same thing. I upgraded the computer anyway, especially since the old GPU got fried. I took the opportunity to upgrade the RAM too. The warranty was about to expire and I wasn't going to spend $200 on shipping to get it fixed, so I did it myself--and got a better GPU out of the deal.

Honestly, upgrading isn't that expensive. You could easily do it for under $100 if you know what you're looking for.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #112 on: August 25, 2009, 11:12:26 PM

Then you must have a really good laptop then. ::)

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: August 25, 2009, 11:13:50 PM

If you want something that can play games, get a desktop. Laptops don't have the power.

I'd agree with this, especially considering that most laptops sold with the moniker of a gaming laptop fail to measure up to that standard and are generally overpriced as [tornado fang], but there seems to be a bit of a new trend coming along where graphics manufacturers are targeting the mobile market now with some kickass stuff. (<3 ATi for kickstarting that with the 40nm GPUs & upcoming DX11 mobile parts)

As it stands now though, unless you've got a budget above 2K, or are amazing at bargain hunting, Nobo is right.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: August 25, 2009, 11:14:48 PM
That too, I love playing arcade games on my laptop in school :)

Oh, and for reference this is my laptop.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01753027&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=sg&lang=en&product=3966077

My parents think the same thing. I upgraded the computer anyway, especially since the old GPU got fried. I took the opportunity to upgrade the RAM too. The warranty was about to expire and I wasn't going to spend $200 on shipping to get it fixed, so I did it myself--and got a better GPU out of the deal.

Honestly, upgrading isn't that expensive. You could easily do it for under $100 if you know what you're looking for.

The problem is getting the money from my parents, it's free (for me) Laptop VS having to spend $100+ (again, stuff here is more expensive) to upgrade my PC. So yeah...

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: August 25, 2009, 11:15:31 PM
A laptop should be able to handle most--if not all--retro emulators. Anything requiring more power, like Street Fighter IV in Taiyo's instance, will require a desktop to play to its maximum potential. A graphic chip will never measure up to a card. Ever. Unless the card is seriously about six years old.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #116 on: August 25, 2009, 11:18:26 PM
Like my PC's XD

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: August 25, 2009, 11:20:23 PM
Yeah Tai, I know how annoying that situation must be. Trust me. XD

Currently I'm typing on a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 PC with the following:

60GB HDD
512MB DDR RAM
15" 1280x1024 Monitor
Integrated Intel Graphics Processor (DO NOT WANT)
Windows XP Home Edition

It gets hotter than a [chameleon sting]er, annoys me often and seems to just loooove chugging at the worst possible times, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. XD

Posted on: August 25, 2009, 05:18:31 PM
Actually, come to think of it, why don't we have a general PC discussion thread on RPM? I'd love to flex whatever nerd muscle I have in a topic like that if it'd help anyone else or be interesting for gathering news on stuff. XD

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: August 25, 2009, 11:23:03 PM
My computer specs:
2x250GB HDD
4GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM (Upgraded from 2GB)
22" 1680x1050 Monitor
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT, 1GB VRAM (Upgraded from NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS, 256MB)
Windows XP Media Center Edition (Currently has Windows 7 installed)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: August 25, 2009, 11:24:43 PM
I envy you for having something with a widescreen standard. XD

Also, making the new topic now.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: August 25, 2009, 11:27:51 PM
Anyway, I just received an update from Hitomi about the 360's price. Apparently, it's been given a price drop. The Elite, which I said earlier was $400, is now $300. The Pro system is now $250. My guess is that Arcade is still at $200, though, until I've seen different.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: August 25, 2009, 11:29:57 PM
What I've heard is

Arcade=$200
Pro=Won't exist anymore
Elite=$300

Offline Irgendein

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: August 25, 2009, 11:35:02 PM

Yet I use mine for everything, but that's because my desktop belongs to my parents, and I prefer the more privacy I get on my laptop, and that way people aren't putting all their own crap on it (my hard drive is like, 320GB though). Although, can't say I actually have any games that require powerful machines on here, just emulators and a few Open Source games

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: August 25, 2009, 11:44:33 PM
Actually, come to think of it, why don't we have a general PC discussion thread on RPM? I'd love to flex whatever nerd muscle I have in a topic like that if it'd help anyone else or be interesting for gathering news on stuff. XD
I would like a Computer Discussion forum too. My operating system thread could get thrown into it.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: August 25, 2009, 11:51:39 PM
I would like a Computer Discussion forum too. My operating system thread could get thrown into it.

Done!