Obligatory Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum thread

Hypershell · 130259

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #225 on: December 26, 2008, 08:07:16 AM
...Why have 2 normal types and a Shuckle?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #226 on: December 26, 2008, 08:35:18 AM
Is there something bad about having two normal types? Lopunny and Clefable do pretty different things. Or is there something wrong with having two and a Shuckle? I've had absolutely no experience with it, so, um, enlighten me?

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #227 on: December 26, 2008, 07:39:52 PM
...Why have 2 normal types and a Shuckle?

Clefable is for Toxic Orb abuse (Magic Guard).  I put some Ev's into attack, and a base 140 Facade hurts.  Lopunny, with it's Klutz ability, can hold a Lagging Tail and Switcheroo it onto something else.  Shuckle is pretty much a wall, and I gave it Stealth Rock as well.

Your team's lookin' pretty slow there. Might wanna get something fast and dangerous so you can fight back against anything with decent speed + swords dance. Dodrio or something. I dunno, I'm not good at UU. Or, well, any tier, really, but I'm worse at UU.

That's actually not a bad idea.  8)  Dodrio could be a viable option to my team.  I will note that Lopunny is actually faster than Dodrio, though, and the one I'm using is Jolly with maxed-out Speed EV's.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #228 on: December 27, 2008, 05:15:20 AM
Yeah, but Lopunny can't do any real damage. You'll be able to screw someone with Switcheroo once, but after that, it'd be nice to have something dangerous and capable of going first

Also Dodrio is pretty awesome.

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #229 on: December 27, 2008, 06:37:19 AM
I'm considering Rapidash, Scyther, or Dodrio for the third slot.  Those 3 are the fastest UU sweepers in the game, and can potentially put a dent in things.  Decisions, decisions...  :\

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #230 on: December 27, 2008, 10:05:03 AM
So I was just breeding Clamperl, and the very first one I hatched was shiny. And modest. And with an SpA IV of 2.

Thanks Pokemon. Thanks a whole lot.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #231 on: December 27, 2008, 10:09:23 AM
Wow...
Those sure are some odds...
Shiny Pokemon from an egg...

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #232 on: December 27, 2008, 10:10:57 AM
With an IV of 2.

Seriously, it's Christmas, and they're laughing at me.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #233 on: December 27, 2008, 10:20:16 AM
It is spreading the joy of Christmas... >.>;

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #234 on: December 30, 2008, 02:36:32 PM
Sooooooooooooo I'm thinking of a rain team. Something like

Electrode for setting up rain then going bang.
Kabutops and Gorebyss for swift swimming and killing things.
Phione for also setting up rain then resting and being a pain to kill.
Toxicroak for subpunching.
Rotom for rain/screen supporting.

Good idea y/n?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #235 on: December 31, 2008, 05:31:09 AM
I don't know much about UU battles, besides the fact that I usually tend to merge qualifying 'mans into higher matches out of favoritism.  The setup seems a bit obvious to me, considering Electrode's insane speed gives it niche appeal even in the higher tiers.  Still effective, though.  I'll offer my thoughts anyways:

One red flag that comes up with Rain Dance/Explosion Electrode is what switch-ins you're likely to encourage.  You're liable to get highly defensive Rock/Ground or Steel/Ground 'mans coming in expecting a Thunder (or, worst-case scenario, an opposing Rotom).  Granted throwing a Ground type into a Rain Dance isn't the wisest of moves considering your likely switch-ins, but it's something to be aware of.  In such a case it may be helpful to save Electrode's Explosion for later, assuming you can safely switch in a teammate.

Watch for an early Steelix with an odd item (Passho Berry or Focus Sash); it won't sweep your team or anything, but it could do some damage before you get rid of it.  Rotom is your only Ground-immune 'man (and also enjoys Explosion immunity), but there are only so many ways he can threaten/annoy Steelix.  Hidden Power, if you're willing to breed for it, and Platinum's Wash form are the more reliable; Will-o-Wisp will be evil if it connects; Confuse Ray and/or Mud Slap (if you're willing to take the anti-accuracy stigma) work as a hail-Mary.

Beware of Water Absorb Quagsire who will love your team after Electrode's Explosion is out of the picture.  You'll probably want Phione to carry Grass Knot for such an occasion.  If you want additional protection, you could breed for Hidden Power Grass on Gorebyss, or axe somebody for Ludicolo.
(EDITS: I apologize, Ludicolo is BL tier)

I like Kabutops.  UU Physical Rain Dance options are pretty scarce, so he can get you past opponents expecting you to throw a special sweeper.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 08:37:00 PM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #236 on: December 31, 2008, 08:23:35 PM
Hidden Power Grass

Haha I thought that was cheaters only?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #237 on: December 31, 2008, 10:32:16 PM
How should I know whether or not you're using Shoddy?  I didn't think there were that many in-game UU players.

At least for a breedable Pokemon Hidden Power is less of a stretch, though the insane amount of time required is still plenty that I do not believe it should be mentioned in movesets without possible alternatives.  But if the whole team abuses it, and/or you see things like HP Ice Raikou, then I start raising eyebrows.  At least Smogon has the sense to make a note of availability on a legend.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #238 on: January 01, 2009, 02:28:22 PM
Well, I've gone through hundreds of eggs and the only HP I've found along with good SpA and Speed IVs and the right nature was electric. I'll probably stick with it, actually, I'm just a little sick of breeding by this point. And hey, it kills Mantine, I guess.

Yeah I'm probably gonna look back on this post in the future after losing and cry to myself.

Maybe I should swap Rotom for Meganium. That could work. Hmm.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #239 on: January 01, 2009, 08:23:07 PM
When breeding for Hidden Power you kinda have to research the parents' IVs and how they'll impact the child.  It's very, very complicated.  The HP Ice users justify it by rigging the Speed, Special Attack, and Special Defense IVs of the parents at max (this is why people hack parents; it's considered foul play but there's no way to verify it), and playing the odds from there.  It comes out quite favorable compared to any random formula, but you're still looking at the ballpark of a hundred eggs or so.

Personally, I wouldn't axe Rotom; your team could use his resistances.  He's immune to Ground and strong against Electric, which your team needs since they're both common types and both strong against half your team.  If you need to axe somebody I'd probably pick either Phione or Gorebyss.  It's a little redundant to carry two pure Water special attackers.

But that's me, and I've been wrong before.  Really, you need to experiment and find out what works for yourself.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #240 on: January 01, 2009, 09:00:36 PM
Yeah, I set the parents up as best I could. Just, well, random numbers hate me. I'll get over it.

Meganium and Rotom seem to fill the same role, though, when I look at them. They're both resistant to ground/electric, and they both do screens. Rotom's better against ground, but he's worse against water, and rain going on, that'd be pretty handy. Meganium's got better defensive stats, too, at least without Platinum. Meganium's also a dinosaur covered in flowers, and that's just awesome.

Rotom does have the advantage of being a pokemon that I have easy access, too, though. I dunno, any of you guys got a Chikorita lying around you're not using? Yeah I didn't really think so. Time for an internet pokemon hunting adventure!!!!!

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #241 on: January 01, 2009, 09:36:29 PM
Eh, breed a spare Rotom/Spiritomb/starter and request one, you ought to have it before long.

There's no reason that both Rotom and Meganium need to run Screen support, if that's what's bugging you (personally I think Meganium would be a lot better at it; even with an appliance, which may be considered a different tier, Rotom still has low HP and no recovery).  They cover different areas offensively, and Rotom can run status annoyance moves pretty well. 

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #242 on: January 01, 2009, 10:02:53 PM
Yeah. But it'll still be an internet hunting adventure finding someone who's got one.

Look I'm on an adventure alright shut up.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #243 on: January 03, 2009, 02:07:35 PM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #244 on: January 03, 2009, 02:20:52 PM
Pokemon Black Onyx?
That's not even real... >.>;

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #245 on: January 03, 2009, 02:27:19 PM
ist firey

Mm. Can't argue with that.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #246 on: January 03, 2009, 02:31:16 PM
Pokemon Black Onyx?
That's not even real... >.>;

Also "Pokemon Crater"

Gold, Stadium 1 and Stadium 2 is so low down on the list too. ;w;

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #247 on: January 03, 2009, 02:46:45 PM
But Pokemon Crater was fun...
I caught all the Pokemon... ;O;

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter