"Tales of" Series

Setsuna F. Seiei · 141306

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #175 on: June 22, 2009, 03:40:30 AM
Destiny 1 was basically the game that did the most to set the overall "tone" for the series , in a lot of ways. It did a lot to refine the "rough" aspects of SNES Phantasia, and add plenty of series conventions that carry over to this day (like "Skits"). Destiny and Phantasia are running neck to neck with having the largest amounts of the most beloved characters in the entirety of the series. So it should be little wonder why the likes of Stahn and Leon are as loved as Cless and Arche (if not arguably more in some circles).

Destiny 2 (the REAL one) was the one who brought the series to the PS2 generation in style, and again, did probably the most to set the basic tone for the series, for yet another generation of gaming.

And Destiny Remake, beyond being a remake of one of the best and most favored games of the series, has probably THE most fun battle system ever crafted for a Tales game (though Graces may finally give Re-Destiny a run for its money). Director's Cut edition even has "Leon Mode" for a nice extra.

So yeah...the Destiny "series" enjoys its lofty place in the fandom for good cause, I would think.

Yeah...that much was evident even though that was probably the WORST quality footage ever unleashed on an unsuspecting public.  8D

Honestly, I've never really cared for any of the 3D Tales games, as none have ever set a chord with me as much as any of the 2D games. But Graces may definitely change that, especially since Team Destiny's newest battle system looks to impress so much...  owob

exactly my opionion ^-^
thx

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #176 on: June 22, 2009, 05:19:45 AM
I still say that is nostalgia. I have gone back and played through them, and they were not as fun as going back to replay some of the other ones, for me at least. Especially Destiny 1. Matter of opinion, I suppose.

Aresian

Reply #177 on: June 22, 2009, 05:59:24 AM
I had a wild orgasm. Graces looks like it's going to be King.

KING!

Seriously... I'll sell my soul for this one. This might be the game I've been waiting for, truly. I'm hoping so, Asbel is so hot... ;_;

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #178 on: June 22, 2009, 06:13:48 AM
I still say that is nostalgia. I have gone back and played through them, and they were not as fun as going back to replay some of the other ones, for me at least. Especially Destiny 1. Matter of opinion, I suppose.
thats probably because you never played the PS2 version and only Destiny II(Eternia), which also fails to compare to the real Destiny 2(true sequel)

Offline Ciel

• THE Dr Ciel~
  • Robot Master
  • Zero is the coolest reploid ever <3
    • View Profile
Reply #179 on: June 22, 2009, 06:32:48 AM
thats probably because you never played the PS2 version and only Destiny II(Eternia), which also fails to compare to the real Destiny 2(true sequel)

We've actually played all of them except for finishing Tales of Legendia. In my opinion, I'd have to agree with Fxeni. It is basically based on nostalgia and that Destiny is indeed overrated. I much prefer Eternia over Destiny that's for sure.. storyline didn't appeal to me at all, which is why only Fxeni played it and not myself.. yawn-worthy.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #180 on: June 22, 2009, 06:52:31 AM
Just saying... if you walk in to Legendia with low expectations, you'll probably find some enjoyment in there... but it's easily the weakest of the 3D Tales of titles.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #181 on: June 22, 2009, 07:09:19 AM
I couldn't get into Legendia... something about it turned me off.

As for this...
I have played them, actually, as Ciel stated above. The only one I won't say is overrated necessarily is the Destiny Remake, since I didn't get to go through it fully when I had the chance. I stand by my opinion of Destiny 1&2 though (and yes, I do mean the real Destiny 2). Destiny 2, while a marked improvement over 1, still wouldn't warrant a replay from me.

Aresian

Reply #182 on: June 22, 2009, 09:58:08 AM
I can't fully agree with Fxeni for once. Not to say I disagree. The Destiny set does warrant replays for me, but that's BECAUSE of nostalgia. I like to replay games for their stories, I'm wonky like that.

I guess I'm in the middle.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #183 on: June 22, 2009, 12:13:03 PM
Hmm...Well, for me, I never knew of Phantasia's existence till' I played Destiny and became a fan of Tales since.

Moreso because at the time, I thought RPGs were either DnD or turn-based battle systems (I started w/ FF7, MarioRPG and Chrono Trigger.  DnD requires no explanation, even though I only played DnD once in my life).

I came across Destiny in a flea market, as well Star Ocean 2 and the seller told me both were really good and since I had to buy 1 via money I had available.  I chose Destiny out of by artbook and recalling seeing an ad for it by the Tekken 3 manual.

And well, seeing a 2D fighter-ish battle system stood out to me, as well as the characters, the fun uncutted jpn dubbing on techniques and story.  Destiny is an easy replay whenever the interest floods back :3

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #184 on: June 22, 2009, 06:34:26 PM
I'm not saying the Destiny games were unfun... quite the contrary. If I had to replay a Tales game, though, they would be lower on the list for me than most of the others. I need to finish off Destiny RE though... maybe if ever that translation patch ever comes out.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #185 on: June 22, 2009, 06:39:21 PM

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #186 on: June 22, 2009, 06:45:08 PM
That battle system keeps on looking better and better each time they show it. Hopefully they'll bring this one over.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #187 on: June 22, 2009, 06:49:59 PM
Looks nice. But I don't like the character designs.

And some parts seem to use motion capture, hopefully not too many.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #188 on: June 22, 2009, 06:52:50 PM
Right, I guess I should expand upon my point of view concerning Tales games. This is one series where I oftentimes actually prefer the newer entries, since the battle system is constantly evolving. Some games, while I enjoyed them before, I occasionally have a horrid time trying to go back to them (ToS especially suffers from this due to it's decidedly poorly used 3D field). Who knows, maybe I'll have a hard time going back to the currently newer entries after a later game in the series. For me, Nostalgia has absolutely no effect on me when it comes to Tales games if only for this reason.

And some parts seem to use motion capture, hopefully not too many.
Chances are it's mostly for the cutscenes, that's usually the case nowadays.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #189 on: June 22, 2009, 06:56:02 PM

I'm not against motion capture, I'm against motion capture used on Anime characters. They look like dolls, and weird. It fucks up the aesthetics.

Offline Zx

• You're already dead
  • B-Class Hunter
  • "Come and fight!"
    • View Profile
Reply #190 on: June 22, 2009, 06:59:10 PM
I like Taleszaku voice 8D

"Di Mant de Vongole Primo!"

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #191 on: June 22, 2009, 07:00:57 PM
I'm not against motion capture, I'm against motion capture used on Anime characters. They look like dolls, and weird. It fucks up the aesthetics.
Oh, I agree completely. It doesn't really suit the style all that well.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #192 on: June 22, 2009, 07:21:17 PM

I agree. If the anime route is to be taken in this day and age, cel-shading and proper animation a la Windwaker or Valkryia Chronicles is the way to go.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #193 on: June 22, 2009, 07:22:58 PM
Right, I guess I should expand upon my point of view concerning Tales games. This is one series where I oftentimes actually prefer the newer entries, since the battle system is constantly evolving. Some games, while I enjoyed them before, I occasionally have a horrid time trying to go back to them (ToS especially suffers from this due to it's decidedly poorly used 3D field). Who knows, maybe I'll have a hard time going back to the currently newer entries after a later game in the series. For me, Nostalgia has absolutely no effect on me when it comes to Tales games if only for this reason.

Actually, it has happened before with TotW: Radiant mythology. It's basically they get these "skits" and I never made it that far, so it seems that the Tales of Destiny characters in the intro are most likely fanservice, as they seem to be nowhere in sight in-game.

Other than that, I might have not payed attention to them, as the Tales games are most likely namco's equivilant to Final Fantasy, that or Xenosaga, the next overraited RPG game which seems to promote fanservice most of the time (character design wise, I think they are quite popular, since they managed to grab the spot in Mugen no Frontier).

Motion capture, I noticed it's been a few games besides this series.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #194 on: June 22, 2009, 08:18:19 PM
I'm... not a fan of Radiant Mythology. It was boring as hell for me. The characters are there, but after a certain point you just don't care.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #195 on: June 22, 2009, 08:24:03 PM
Well, after I played it a bit, I sorta lost intrest because I couldn't leave the area, and I was always constantly grinding, same with Tales of Phantasia, because I needed to beat that brick wall of a boss before you get Archie. And fighting him is a pain, he has a Golem and whatever the pink thing is with him, which makes it harder.

Having a system like that should make it easier to dodge, but it's annoying to grind against Bugbear too.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #196 on: June 23, 2009, 12:45:54 AM
New high quality trailer video here!

Fukken preorder'd. XD

Exactly. Graces looks to be the first 3D Tales I game I actually LIKE.

Prolly helps that Team Destiny ARE the ones behind it. You can say what you will about their games' storylines, but thus far, there's no faulting their battle system design.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #197 on: June 23, 2009, 12:52:11 AM
Call this a selfish and deluded dream, but I want Graces' current battle system in an RPG using Valkryia Chronicles' CANVAS engine for visuals, Shigesato Itoi on story and Maito Yokoita on soundtrack. The setting? Hmm, maybe something modern.

RPG of the forever. XD

Offline IHZ

• Net Navi
  • SHOOOSH
    • View Profile
Reply #198 on: June 23, 2009, 01:14:26 AM
For a weird Reason, I will always prefer Phantasia's PSX Battle System over everything else. Still I fully appreciate the newer ones, Tales of Vesperia's system was gold.

Offline TAoR

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #199 on: June 23, 2009, 02:53:08 AM
Phantasia PSX's battle system is kinda unimpressive now. I'm not saying it's bad or anything, it's just that when I play it think "cool, this is fun", but when I look at Graces I think "Holy [parasitic bomb] on a sandwich WOW!". Just saying.