"Tales of" Series

Setsuna F. Seiei · 141399

Offline Setsuna F. Seiei

• Neo Arcadian
  • 俺が, ガンダムだ!
    • View Profile
Reply #450 on: December 15, 2010, 07:01:27 AM

Namco Bandai is all set to unveil the new PlayStation 3 Tales game later today, but Weekly Jump has the scoop. As many have speculated based off trademark filings, the new game is "Tales of Xillia," and it's set for release in 2011.

The big feature for Xillia is that it has two main characters, a first for the series. The male main character is Shuto Matis (voiced by Tsubasa Yonaga). The female main character is Mira Maxwell (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro).

Only a few details on these characters are revealed in the magazine. Shuto attends a medical school in the royal city and is an excellent student who gets things done. Mira is a master of spirits which control the four elements (earth, water, fire and wind).

These two characters were designed by two different veteran Tales series character designers. Shuto comes from Kosuke Fujishima. Mira comes from Mutsumi Inomata.

Also of note in Jump's first look is word that the game's theme song will be performed by Ayumi Hamasaki.

The new game was first announced back in August as just "Next Tales of." Namco Bandai currently has a countdown running for the game's full unveil. This will reach zero later today.

Prior to the Jump reveal, our only look at the game game through some concept art, which you can see below. The Tales team also shared some details in an August interview.

Concept art
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/15/tales_of_xillia/

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #451 on: December 15, 2010, 07:27:27 AM
Very interesting, some instead of one major character to focus on it has two major characters to focus on. Interesting, but until I see some gameplay footage or screenshots I'll be neutral about my opinion.

Also it's not going to be released in the US, right? We haven't been getting any new "Tales of" recently which is sad.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Ephidiel

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #452 on: December 15, 2010, 09:11:16 AM
well was kinda obvious that it'd be leaked before the timer runs out

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #453 on: December 15, 2010, 10:02:27 AM
Japan just kept popping up new Tales games, with a very low chance of being localized

but then again....i gave up on the localization of Tales series already...

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #454 on: December 15, 2010, 10:20:53 AM
PV out!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3BVOUjOgLU[/youtube]

Hmm, and yay more barefisted hero!

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Aresian

Reply #455 on: December 15, 2010, 12:36:41 PM
OK... first. Ugh, PS3. Seriously? Well... probably won't be localized anyway. This is what I'm learning Japanese for as we speak.

Second... Fist-based hero? Ugh. Well, maybe we'll have interesting secondaries this time around. I don't get the feeling of excitement I got from Graces' cast.

Third... Battle system looks actiony, makes me think they're gonna keep going in the direction of Graces that Abyss and Vesperia started and Graces perfected, excellent.

Finally... Setsuna, stop SEED moding and Quantizing.

EXTRA MODE: Oh oh, Heroine looks like a whore. Just saying. Which is funny since the art from mag doesn't look that bad... I think it's that evil PS3 graphics. *sage nod*

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #456 on: December 15, 2010, 03:28:27 PM
Mira might be my favourite Tales character... ever :3

Posted on: December 15, 2010, 08:07:57 AM
EXTRA MODE: Oh oh, Heroine looks like a whore. Just saying. Which is funny since the art from mag doesn't look that bad... I think it's that evil PS3 graphics. *sage nod*

That's... so mean ;oo;

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #457 on: December 15, 2010, 05:35:24 PM
To each of their own...

But it is mean, just saying she looks like... that... doesn't make her one and it's a design style choice which I think makes her interesting though the hair looks unusually to me.

I'm liking the Cross/Tag Team Attacks, reminding me of the Tales of Symphonia's Unison System though much more refined.

I would love for this to come over! Someone, buy Namco out if their not going to release it stateside! A game is might to be enjoyed and have fun playing it, even more so in the language people understand! Man do I wish I could speak and read Japanese.

OK, rant over. I'm good.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #458 on: December 15, 2010, 09:06:59 PM
Well, I'm interested in the fist fighting hero, buuuuuut, at this poing I'd be more surprised if Namco even considers releasing it outside Japan, hell will freeze over before it releases in NA. That and I don't have a PS3 nor do I plan to get one any time soon >__>

OK... first. Ugh, PS3. Seriously?

Well, the PS3 ports did sell in its first week about as much as the original games did in their lifetimes so honestly at this point they'd be crazy to make it for anything else.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #459 on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:19 PM
Sony consoles have been, and always will be, the JRPG system :3

Aresian

Reply #460 on: December 15, 2010, 10:53:42 PM
To each of their own...

But it is mean, just saying she looks like... that... doesn't make her one and it's a design style choice which I think makes her interesting though the hair looks unusually to me.

I'm liking the Cross/Tag Team Attacks, reminding me of the Tales of Symphonia's Unison System though much more refined.

I would love for this to come over! Someone, buy Namco out if their not going to release it stateside! A game is might to be enjoyed and have fun playing it, even more so in the language people understand! Man do I wish I could speak and read Japanese.

OK, rant over. I'm good.

Hey, I didn't say she WAS a whore. There's a difference. A word makes ALL the difference my friends. I just said her character model makes her look whorish. No fault to you, or Cephi. She just does. Her extravagant hair mixed with her outfit makes her look like she's got an interesting future at a brothel somewhere. There was nothing mean intended by this opinion, in fact I am rather upset about it since the artwork in the magazine didn't look as bad. Dunno what the duece is up with that, so I blame the PS3.

Well, the PS3 ports did sell in its first week about as much as the original games did in their lifetimes so honestly at this point they'd be crazy to make it for anything else.

Still can't stand the PS3 my friend. Or Sony for that matter. Sony got horribly lucky and is out of their god-forsaken minds. Especially with their marketing schemes that look like PB is running them with Marcus PSP and that-white-guy-in-a-suit that both act like they've been taking lessons on being Ego-Masters.

No offense.

Sony consoles have been, and always will be, the JRPG system :3

No. SNES was actually and always will be the JRPG system. That is where JRPGs really kicked off and where all the most "memorable" ones are, save maybe the lulz that is FFVII came from. When Sony got "lucky" during Nintendo's screw up, Sony got a chance to take over. This allowed Sony to play God for a few years. This is all coming to a much needed end however. But I'm not here to discuss console politics. I'm here to discuss why I don't like this game currently. Maybe it'll change my opinion though.

Maybe not.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #461 on: December 15, 2010, 10:54:51 PM
Especially with their marketing schemes that look like PB is running them with Marcus PSP and that-white-guy-in-a-suit that both act like they've been taking lessons on being Ego-Masters.

Don't [tornado fang]ing remind me -___-

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Aresian

Reply #462 on: December 15, 2010, 10:57:53 PM
Don't [tornado fang]ing remind me -___-

For every time Sony is praised, I won't cease to remind you what they are and what they've become. I'm sorry. Someone has to at least speak out about this. Sure, I can't nip this in the bud, it is already over and done with... but I can at least spread knowledge of the pure evil that it causes.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #463 on: December 15, 2010, 10:58:32 PM
No. SNES was actually and always will be the JRPG system

Nope!  No sony consoles at the time so my statement is still truth :3

Aresian

Reply #464 on: December 15, 2010, 11:05:44 PM
Nope!  No sony consoles at the time so my statement is still truth :3

What? That doesn't even make sense. SNES has the most memorable time of JRPGs, started the boom of JRPGs and set the GROUND for the fandom. Today most JRPGs don't even hold a candle to the days of old and I'm not even an "oldfag" when it comes down to it. I LIKED a lot of PSX RPGs. My FAVORITE RPGs personally were Sony born, but from a LOGICAL standpoint, I acknowledge that JRPGs were NOT born on the PSX and did not reach their apex on the PSX and rather the SNES and THUSLY your statement holds little to no merit at all, outside of childish notion.

I'm... I'm not even gonna bother to use an analogy for this discussion. >_> What the hell.

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #465 on: December 15, 2010, 11:07:57 PM
W-What does that have anything to do with it? o.o;

Aresian

Reply #466 on: December 15, 2010, 11:17:55 PM
W-What does that have anything to do with it? o.o;

What? How does that NOT have anything to do with it? How is that not the whole point? You stated that Sony has been and always will be the JRPG console. But this is a farce. It is more accurate to say it is the "we sell out to all genres" console.

The other consoles specialize more than Sony's does. In fact, it took forever for Sony to start pumping JRPGs with their PS3 to be honest, just now starting to step up the game on the matter... but...

But... what the hell am I doing. We're obviously on two different wave lengths. Why are you guys letting me do this with her? >_> Someone get me my robe. I'm leaving!

*Claps hands and summons his servants. They quickly robe their master, who then aptly leaves the scene with Mr. P. Pretentious and Lady Nicole in tow*

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #467 on: December 15, 2010, 11:25:46 PM
Yes, my stupidity does usually cause people to leave ^^

Aresian

Reply #468 on: December 15, 2010, 11:28:34 PM

I do want to say in your defense that I don't think you're stupid, I just think we have two different ways of thinking and thus, I shouldn't get "serious business" when it comes to discussions like this, with you. So, no offense, that is all. As the old saying goes, to each their own and all that.

Also, I'm mad as a hatter, saying stuff in your defense when I'm supposed to be the opposition. Hahahahaha!

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #469 on: December 15, 2010, 11:32:08 PM

Not stupidity, just a misunderstand. Have some better self-esteem about yourself Cephi! You're smart!

And I like to apologize to you Behind the Fence, didn't mean to put words into your mouth. Need to review my English again, and I do agree with the game model not looking as interesting as the artwork itself which weirds me out for some reason.

Aresian

Reply #470 on: December 15, 2010, 11:39:04 PM
No problem, Chris. I dunno why... but there is something off about the models this go around. I'm hoping it is just a condition or a early production thing. Maybe I'm apeshit. That happens.

This is still the earliest form of the game that we're seeing, so they might still have to touch up the models a tad and they did change stuff in Graces before it was released (Asbel's brother had a color swap before he was finished) so who knows. I do hope they do something to the heroine. I haven't disliked a heroine this much since Colette.

Matter of fact... Colette is the only Heroine I didn't like. And I at least respected her. Kinda hard not to respect Colette, all things considered.

But... positives. Hmm. Her abilities seem cool. She really compliments the main character, who alone seems rather boring. So who knows, maybe they have some kinda secret remedy for this medley of stuff I just don't get. I'm willing to admit I don't understand everything that goes into the mix.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #471 on: December 15, 2010, 11:41:06 PM
The new girl. I like her. ^^ And that's all that matters.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline CephiYumi

• RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #472 on: December 15, 2010, 11:51:54 PM
The new girl. I like her. ^^ And that's all that matters.

I knew you would too!   <3 <3

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #473 on: December 16, 2010, 12:39:44 AM
Her hair is a [sonic slicer] to draw though, believe me I tried.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Aresian

Reply #474 on: December 16, 2010, 12:54:36 AM
Her hair is a [sonic slicer] to draw though, believe me I tried.

See what I mean... there is something wrong with her. Her hair doesn't look AS BAD out of the game, mind you. But it is horrid in the game model. Coupled with her clothing, it throws the whole thing for a whorish loop.

I really want to see the other cast. I hope they have someone that matches the cuteness of Anise... I miss Anise... Anise was so adorable~ I miss playing TotA now.