"Tales of" Series

Setsuna F. Seiei · 141408

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #425 on: July 28, 2010, 11:02:35 PM
It's not terribly surprising with the Tales of series since we've always had a lot of the games not released here, but we usually got main releases. Vesperia PS3 was shaky at best when you consider we didn't get the (questionably better) Symphonia PS2 port, though this is more due to Nintendo having translation rights to the game.

We've gotten Legendia, Abyss, and Vesperia, all main series games. We've not gotten Innocence, Hearts, or the new mothership title Graces on Wii or pretty much anything since Dawn of the New World.

Now, please keep this in mind:

-Outside of the two Symphonia's, advertising has been non-existent for the games outside of Japan.
-Many of these games were positioned alongside other major releases... Abyss, for example, came out just a few days before Final Fantasy XII launched in the U.S.

Now, with Namco clearly moving its sights to PS3 entirely, you would think with the rather negative hammering Final Fantasy XIII got in the west and the general lack of interest in XIV due to being an MMORPG that Namco would smell blood in the water and try to make a push for a larger market share in the West before Square can restore its image or the niche is filled more by Atlus or XSEED.

Nope. They're doing nothing.

Frankly, at this point, Namco JP seems quite happy shoveling out some retarded Pacman drivel no one will buy and this year's Naruto/DBZ fighting game rehash.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #426 on: July 28, 2010, 11:32:32 PM
It's not terribly surprising with the Tales of series since we've always had a lot of the games not released here, but we usually got main releases. Vesperia PS3 was shaky at best when you consider we didn't get the (questionably better) Symphonia PS2 port, though this is more due to Nintendo having translation rights to the game.

We've gotten Legendia, Abyss, and Vesperia, all main series games. We've not gotten Innocence, Hearts, or the new mothership title Graces on Wii or pretty much anything since Dawn of the New World.

Now, please keep this in mind:

-Outside of the two Symphonia's, advertising has been non-existent for the games outside of Japan.
-Many of these games were positioned alongside other major releases... Abyss, for example, came out just a few days before Final Fantasy XII launched in the U.S.

Now, with Namco clearly moving its sights to PS3 entirely, you would think with the rather negative hammering Final Fantasy XIII got in the west and the general lack of interest in XIV due to being an MMORPG that Namco would smell blood in the water and try to make a push for a larger market share in the West before Square can restore its image or the niche is filled more by Atlus or XSEED.

Nope. They're doing nothing.

Frankly, at this point, Namco JP seems quite happy shoveling out some retarded Pacman drivel no one will buy and this year's Naruto/DBZ fighting game rehash.
Worst thing is, the Tales games ARE suitable for a current generation, and pretty fun even if you're not into JRPGs, because they have an action-based gameplay. They could be having quite a bit of success with them over here, if they wanted to.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #427 on: July 29, 2010, 03:33:16 AM
So there is a new Tales coming out. I'm happy.  <3

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #428 on: July 29, 2010, 04:26:57 AM

All of which, including the usual Ben10 stuff, unfortunately/fortunately, DOES ACTUALLY sell. So what does that say about the market? Going by last year's Bamco's fiscal reports, the only things that really did well for were their arcade wares (Tekken, Gundam Vs) and the usual stuff.

Part of it is definitely Namco's fault, but on the other hand, no Tales game released in the West has ever been able to match what Symphonia did on the GC, years ago. Even 360-Vesperia, in spite of the "push" (re: moneyhats) couldn't do that. So, after spreading itself far too thinly for the last few years, I think Namco is actually doing the reasonable thing, and focusing on PS3 development for Japanese audiences. Maybe after the brand does more to "get back on its feet", they'll consider the notion of Westward localization again. But for now, going conservative is probably the best chance the series has at this time. It's got quite an uphill battle to make on the "home turf" as it is. 8D   

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #429 on: July 29, 2010, 05:07:08 AM
To be fair, Symphonia had a lot going in its favor under Nintendo's management.

-Advertising: this is key right here. Unlike every tales game after, the game had extensive advertising behind it to promote that it's coming out. Legendia, Abyss and Vesperia didn't enjoy a similar push.

-Scarcity: not so much in the game itself, but Gamecube was critically deprived of RPGs, let alone decent third party support. I believe up until then, the only serious good RPG out on the platform was Skies of Arcadia Legends from Sega (correct me if I'm wrong on the release date, though it's very much a Gamecube RPG to pick up.) You could argue Xbox 360 may have had something similar with Vesperia, but the audience there is pretty staunchly not fond of JRPGs, with past rep Blue Dragon not doing terribly well; never mind the exclusivity cash was dumped into making the PS3 version.

-Timing: Tying into the above, Symphonia was pitched as a huge deal and had the same luxury of being treated like a serious major release. Legendia had a quiet release and Abyss was foolishly released close FF12, which in North America is a death knell (despite the criticism XII released later on.)

It's a shame that the western fan base that isn't exactly knowledgeable in moon runes and doesn't have the time to really learn it has to suffer because of the idiotic marketing choices Namco U.S.A. made, especially regarding one of Namco's higher brands.

Aresian

Reply #430 on: July 29, 2010, 05:23:02 AM
What really comes down to it for me is that there is still hope for Tales over here. It might seem bleak to some, but the fact they are still in business is a very good sign indeed.

So aside from Nintendo's grand achievements... there will still be some tasty morsels in the gaming world that can actually satisfy my taste.

Now if only we can get Graces... it is quite possibly the most interesting looking Tales I've ever seen. And not to mention, Mamoritai: White Wishes is such a beautiful song.

*bides his time* Well, it is either that or whip out the book and learn Japanese. Intended to do that anyway, just not so soon.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #431 on: July 29, 2010, 01:09:02 PM
It would be cool if they brought the damn games over, but that doesn't seem likely with their track record. It's too bad really, considering the gradually evolving battle system used in Tales games is one of my favourites as far as JRPGs are concerned.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #432 on: July 29, 2010, 01:56:39 PM
So we can expect the Tales franchise to become yet another obscure Japan-only JRPG, unrecognized in the US. And the reason, when pretty much every single other current-gen RPG worth a damn reaches our shores sooner or later? None, aparently, since the Tales franchise is actually BETTER suited for western audiences than many JRPGs that make their way here. But such is the cost of bad executive decisions.

Offline GP Aznable

• King of the hill
  • A-Class Hunter
  • I'm the REAL Woodman, foo!
    • View Profile
Reply #433 on: July 29, 2010, 04:21:13 PM
I'd play Tales series over Final Fantasy anyday, though I kinda fond of WRPGs.

For the US marketing, I think they still prefer Final Fantasy because it's more 'western' than any JRPGs and not to mention the fanbases. It'll be hard for the Tales series to be popular in the US.

Eat, or be eaten...

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #434 on: July 29, 2010, 05:11:15 PM
I'd play Tales series over Final Fantasy anyday, though I kinda fond of WRPGs.

For the US marketing, I think they still prefer Final Fantasy because it's more 'western' than any JRPGs and not to mention the fanbases. It'll be hard for the Tales series to be popular in the US.
Final Fantasy isn't very western, it just has more success. The Tales games, not being constant sequels and each one being pretty much a new story with a new subtitle, have the same chance pretty much every single new JRPG has in the US, plus the fan-appeal, which isn't very large, but exists. It has potencial.

Offline TheOnly

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #435 on: July 29, 2010, 06:34:14 PM
*sigh*, time to go buy me that RossetaStone.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.

Aresian

Reply #436 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:54 PM
*sigh*, time to go buy me that RossetaStone.

That basically. Should've done it a while ago in honesty. There are more games in Japanese than I want to play in English now, this wasn't always the case.

Time to pick up the books, for engrish has lost its use.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #437 on: July 29, 2010, 10:29:30 PM
Psh, why buy it.

You can pirate it. :P

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #438 on: July 29, 2010, 10:46:27 PM
So we can expect the Tales franchise to become yet another obscure Japan-only JRPG, unrecognized in the US. And the reason, when pretty much every single other current-gen RPG worth a damn reaches our shores sooner or later?

Maybe, maybe not. But again, I think the main thing is that Namco has to "get things right at home first". As much as Western fans like to belly-ache about how they've had it bad, the Japanese fan base hasn't exactly been pleased as punch these last few years either. Ever since the start of this console generation, they've been subjected to the franchise jumping all over the damn place, from console to console, like a flea on a hot brick. The result? It made it literally impossible for most fans to be able to follow the series with any sense of reliability. They've even had to deal with the "betrayal" of the franchise having a major title going to the "foreigner system" X360, only to then come to the PS3 a year later. Cue raging, as per the image I posted in my OP.

So, for right now? Namco's main mission should be focusing on the Japanese PS3, and doing more to "earn the trust" of those are who their most important customer base. Because if they can't get the Japanese fans to rally behind them again, the franchise is definitely going to die, and then everything else is pretty much moot. Assuming they're able to achieve that much, THEN maybe they can start thinking about westward localization again. But to say that this is an entirely different situation for how it is with something like RGG/Yakuza, is an understatement. 

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #439 on: July 29, 2010, 10:54:16 PM
And then there's that other project, with tits and robots right? MNF rite? 8D

Then again, with the apparent success and attention the other series Namco has on thier hands, I doubt Namco has the time to get all three to thier respective release dates.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #440 on: July 29, 2010, 11:35:09 PM
Maybe, maybe not. But again, I think the main thing is that Namco has to "get things right at home first". As much as Western fans like to belly-ache about how they've had it bad, the Japanese fan base hasn't exactly been pleased as punch these last few years either. Ever since the start of this console generation, they've been subjected to the franchise jumping all over the damn place, from console to console, like a flea on a hot brick. The result? It made it literally impossible for most fans to be able to follow the series with any sense of reliability. They've even had to deal with the "betrayal" of the franchise having a major title going to the "foreigner system" X360, only to then come to the PS3 a year later. Cue raging, as per the image I posted in my OP.

So, for right now? Namco's main mission should be focusing on the Japanese PS3, and doing more to "earn the trust" of those are who their most important customer base. Because if they can't get the Japanese fans to rally behind them again, the franchise is definitely going to die, and then everything else is pretty much moot. Assuming they're able to achieve that much, THEN maybe they can start thinking about westward localization again. But to say that this is an entirely different situation for how it is with something like RGG/Yakuza, is an understatement. 

That puts Namco's own faulty decisions to blame. Unlike Yakuza, which is pretty much one of the most japanese culture-heavy games we've had on this side (specially since it bothers with a serious and halfway realistic movie plot with japanese-looking characters instead of anime characters with impossibly slim bodies and coloured whiter than albinos, as well as activities, celebrities, brands and stores from there), Tales' games have as much appeal as any other JRPG on the market. It's not the game's quality, but bad management decisions that have made it unsuccessful in both sides.

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Reply #441 on: August 08, 2010, 09:02:27 AM
[youtube]arhDofcT4Rw&feature=fvst[/youtube]

Features over 80 "Tales of" Characters from past titles.

Confirm Tales of Characters:
    * Chelsea Torn - Tales of Destiny
    * Norma Beatty - Tales of Legendia
    * Yuri Lowell - Tales of Vesperia
    * Judith - Tales of Vesperia
    * Kohak Hearts - Tales of Hearts
    * Asbel Lhant - Tales of Graces

This one looks like an actually Tales of game with the exploration part and the Character Creation system is even improved too! You can change the height of your character and give them different poses/stance to their fighting style now it seems in the video. I look forward to it!

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #442 on: August 09, 2010, 02:13:27 AM
Before I decide to comment about this, but did 2 ever come stateside?

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Nicole Claris

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
    • Rise of Aetheria- An Arts and Roleplaying Site
Reply #443 on: August 09, 2010, 03:28:40 AM
Before I decide to comment about this, but did 2 ever come stateside?

Nope! Lets start crossing our fingers~

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.”
Benjamin Franklin

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #444 on: August 09, 2010, 03:36:02 AM
Better start learning Japanese if you haven't already.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #445 on: August 09, 2010, 05:20:35 AM
Yeah... I really doubt this is leaving Japan. Too bad too, the Radiant Mythology offshoot has been expanding rather well.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #446 on: August 09, 2010, 05:29:23 AM
There is someone named Yuri Lowell?  That's kinda close to that voice actors name o.o  Also I guess a third one is nice but still haven't beaten the first two (or even taken 2 out of the plastic ^^; )

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #447 on: December 03, 2010, 06:45:21 AM
http://rm3.namco-ch.net/chara/

11/2/10 ~ Will Raynard, Sophie, Judas & Marta confirmed
http://www.talesunion.com/news/judas-marta-and-sophie-confirmed-to-be-in-radiant-mythology-3--1364.html

12/01/10 ~ Flynn, Shing and Natalia confirmed

Free Radiant Mythology 3 Costume DLC Announced:
http://www.talesunion.com/news/free-radiant-mythology-3-costume-dlc-announced--1369.html

That's a totally of 72 out of the 80 "Tales of" characters confirmed.

These people are most likely to me adding in:
Karol
Repede
Emil
Shirley

Release Date is February 10, 2011.
I'm pre-ordering this when I get the money for it.

Your thoughts guys?

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #448 on: December 03, 2010, 02:14:52 PM
There is someone named Yuri Lowell?  That's kinda close to that voice actors name o.o  Also I guess a third one is nice but still haven't beaten the first two (or even taken 2 out of the plastic ^^; )

Fun story about that. Yuri Lowenthall was the voice actor for Luke and Asch in Tales of the Abyss. He really wanted to voice again in the next major Tales of game to hit the U.S. in Vesperia. Namco denied him because they didn't want two main characters from two different games to sound similar. Instead, Lowenthall told his friend Troy Baker about the role and to try out for it.

Not long after, Troy called him back and said, "Dude, you're not going to believe what the name of the main character for this game is." "What?" "Yuri Lowell."

Lowenthall practically lost his [parasitic bomb].

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #449 on: December 08, 2010, 02:56:39 AM
12/07/10 ~ Sheena Fujibayashi confirmed

Also BACK-ON is doing the opening theme again, but they're going to work with someone else to perform the song with them. And on a side-note, the Monk looks like he's going to do a Kamehameha.

Also you can already start pre-ordering the game here:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-19-71-99-15-Tales+of+The+World:+Radiant+Mythology+3.html