Dungeon & Dragons, 40k and other games like 'em

Waifu · 1845

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: March 06, 2009, 11:34:23 PM
I know probably have the users on RPM had probably played strategy games such D&D and 40k (at least know PB does) but to be honest those games don't really appeal to me for some reason especially since I have to learn all the rules of the game. No offense to Gygax but there is no way I can learn all those rules and with the time I have, that may not be possible at this point. I had never roleplayed outside a forum or played any other strategy games other Chess (on windows), MMBN, Pokemon and some tactical RPGs. I just don't know why I have hard time with acquiring these games in real life or find out what the big deal was with these games in particular? I see references to them on television but if you talked about them with me in real life then I would just be confused. Can someone here tell me the appeal of these games? Or enlighten me on how great these games are?

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 12:50:21 AM
DnD is fun because you get to make your own character and then adventure with them in a completely different world, and you can do whatever you want. Imagine a JRPG in which you can say anything and do anything and in which the world will constantly update itself based on your actions. DnD's a lot like a video game, just with all the restrictions removed, because your DM can and will make up new things on the fly to accommodate you. (Unless they suck at being a DM. Which actually isn't that uncommon. Uh oh.)

40K is fun because you get to completely customise and build your own army, and then go and beat up other people's armies with it. It's fun in the same way that building a team in Pokemon and then battling with it is. The execution's obviously a lot different (Your guys can move, nearly every unit is active at the same time, a lot more random chance, and so on), but the reason why it's enjoyable is pretty similar. Y'know, battle of minds, that sorta stuff. Oh, and painting stuff. Customising and painting your minis so they look exactly how you want is pretty important too.

Of course, both of them can suck horribly if you're playing with the wrong people, and they might just not be your thing in the first place. But I doubt anyone thinks that one game can please the whole world.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:44:13 AM
I played DnD off and on a few times in the past, along with Heroclix, HeroQuest, Mage Knight, SW RP, the occasional LARP, a MM RPG using the D20 system, a modified version of Heroclix, and a highly-modified version of HeroQuest.  I personally think the most fun I had was when I was playing the modified and custom RP systems. 

If you're looking for a tabletop RPG to get into that doesn't require reading a book of rules before hand, I suggest HeroQuest.  You may hafta find the game off of eBay, but it includes everything you need and there are dedicated sites and forums that have custom cards you can print out.  The combination dice/card system is relatively easy to learn, too, and can be customized to suit what you wanna do.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 08:36:41 AM
(at least know PB does)

Huh?  I never played D&D.  My bro did, not I.

Offline Yami Blade

• Tenkai Star
  • Robot Master
  • Tenka Gomen no Samurai Sentai....
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 06:26:11 AM
I run a Scion game with some buddies on AIM.  It's a really fun system and has a pretty cool backstory.

"When debating, solve your disagreements not by words, but by screaming 'I AM A MAN!!!', and punching them in the guts. Allow me to demonstrate... I AM A MAN!!!! *punch*"

Offline xemiroth

• Legendary Hero
  • RPM Member
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2024, 09:26:20 AM
audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru