Dragonball Z: Battle of Z [Yup, time for another DBZ game!]

VirusChris · 4384

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/19/new-dragon-ball-z-fighting-game-has-eight-player-battle-royale/
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/19/dragon-ball-z-battle-of-z-is-another-namco-bandai-anime-fighter/

Namco Bandai has announced a new DBZ game for the PS3, Xbox 360, and Playstation Vita most likely at the end of this year but no release date has been announced yet.

So far one of the new features of the game will have a battle royale of 8 players fighting at the same time and it looks to have the same graphics as Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Tenkaichi.

The game will have 4 player co-op and online multiplayer support where you can attack together and heal one another in battle.

Also Goku's new Super Saiyan form, Super Saiyan God, from the newest DBZ movie that took place between the last two chapters of the manga and Akira Toriyama wrote and design the new villains that was released early this year in March will be playable.

I will bring you more info on this as more is revealed. Stay tuned!

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:15:22 PM
This better not be yet another [parasitic bomb] DBZ game. They're all the same now.

Give me a sequel to Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure, and I'll be happy.

Also Goku's new Super Saiyan form, Super Saiyan God

what

WHAT?

WHAT THE [tornado fang]?! ANOTHER ONE?

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:26:50 PM
WHAT?

Wow.
You're so late to the party.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:46 PM
Wow.
You're so late to the party.

Heh, late to the party? I wish I never even ARRIVED.

Goddamn, why must they continue to mutilate this series!

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:58:37 PM
I've always had a soft spot for DBZ.

8 player versus sounds pretty awesome. I haven't played any of the recent games (post Tenkaichi 3 on Wii) so I don't know how they stack up now. Raging Blast looks like Tenkaichi's engine taken to next gen, but I haven't seen anything on Ultimate Tenkaichi, but knowing the naming scheme the US releases do, it could be a completely different fighting system. If they're using assets from Ultimate Tenkaichi then it'll probably be an extension of that.

Has anyone here played Ultimate Tenkaichi? Is it good? Like Budokai Tenkaichi games, or Budokai, or something new altogether?

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 12:00:36 AM
I've always had a soft spot for DBZ.

8 player versus sounds pretty awesome. I haven't played any of the recent games (post Tenkaichi 3 on Wii) so I don't know how they stack up now. Raging Blast looks like Tenkaichi's engine taken to next gen, but I haven't seen anything on Ultimate Tenkaichi, but knowing the naming scheme the US releases do, it could be a completely different fighting system. If they're using assets from Ultimate Tenkaichi then it'll probably be an extension of that.

Has anyone here played Ultimate Tenkaichi? Is it good? Like Budokai Tenkaichi games, or Budokai, or something new altogether?

Close Range (known as Melee Range) combat plays like the Budokai series fighting style and Long Range (known as Blast Range) combat plays like Tenkaichi. They even added into Quick-Time event similar to Rock-Paper-Scissor for countering attacks or continuing a unique combo attack... it reminds me a bit of the Budokai 3's quick time events (even though it's different).

However you cannot freely dash away like in Tenkaichi as Double Dashing causing you to close-in on your opponent and a quick-time event pops up (50/50 on success or fail) you can deal additional damage or be countered attack... it works both ways as it switches to the other combat range so Melee to Blast and Blast to Melee. Lot more strategy involved I feel like it was missing something.

I do love that Ultimate Tenkaichi finally added a Character Creation mode to it but it's limited to MALE Saiyans only and you have three body types which only certain moves can be applied to but the standard one has the most moves to use. Your character has their own Story Mode and can go Super Saiyan but that's it.

I hope they expanded upon this and continue it until of disposing it after one not-so-successful DBZ game. The game has potential but the one year thing really didn't flesh it out to its full potential.

So in a way Ultimate Tenkaichi is a mix of both Budokai and Tenkaichi combat system into a blender, but many fans didn't like the inclusion of Quick Time events to perform certain moves but it reminds me of how Budokai 3 deployed something similar and people liked it. They always find a way to complain.

This better not be yet another [parasitic bomb] DBZ game. They're all the same now.

Give me a sequel to Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure, and I'll be happy.

what

WHAT?

Yup, Super Saiyan God appeared in the new DBZ movie called "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods" where Goku obtains this form by gathering the powers of other Super Saiyans... which 5 are need (Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Pan (who Videl is carrying at this time)) and the form only last for a little while so Goku cannot maintain this form for long periods of time even less than SS4 Gogeta's time limit.

Super Saiyan God is a level beyond Super Saiyan 3 making it the strongest Super Saiyan form at this time. Though seeing Goku's hair and eyes turned red and having a glowing gold aura around him kinda makes me think it's a prelude to the Super Saiyan 4 form with its red hair and golden aura.

Akira Toriyama the creator of the Dragon Ball series created the Super Saiyan God form, so it's very much canon now as he stated Goku obtains this before the final chapters where he faces Uub. He stated he didn't want to go over-the-top of the next form wanting a more simple appearance for this almight transform... I'm a little disappointed but it works in a way. Kinda looks like a Kaio-ken Goku to me at first though that technique just encased Goku in a flaming red aura which makes Goku look completely red.

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 12:11:30 AM
Super Saiyan God, AKA the closest we'll get to seeing Crono in another game ever.

Just try and say otherwise. You can't.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 01:56:42 AM
Goku obtains this form by gathering the powers of other Super Saiyans... which 5 are need (Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Pan (who Videl is carrying at this time))
(Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Pan (who Videl is carrying at this time))
Pan (who Videl is carrying at this time)
Pan

I've never seen Pan transform.

But even then, how could Goku gather power from her?

SHE STILL HASN'T COME OUT OF HER VAG. SHE'S STILL DEVELOPING. THE HELL.

Akira Toriyama the creator of the Dragon Ball series created the Super Saiyan God form, so it's very much canon now as he stated Goku obtains this before the final chapters where he faces Uub. He stated he didn't want to go over-the-top of the next form wanting a more simple appearance for this almight transform

Funny. Toriyama wanted to stop the series after the Frieza Saga; Super Saiyan was supposed to be the one and only ultimate transformation. Then the producers begged him to continue on all the way to the Buu Saga.

Now... this happened. So glad there are other series out there that know when to stop.

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 02:37:36 AM
I've never seen Pan transform.

But even then, how could Goku gather power from her?

SHE'S STILL HASN'T COME OUT OF HER VAG. SHE'S STILL DEVELOPING. THE HELL.

That's how it went down, but it shows that Pan CAN become a Super Saiyan and it basically hints to that. Though it seems like 5 super powered Saiyan to give a Super Saiyan is what they require to go Super Saiyan God. Goku did receive powers from three Super Saiyans from the Broly movie but it was just three where here there were 5 Saiyans to boost his abilities and 4 of them were Super Saiyans no less, or in Gohan's case the Ultimate Warrior (he doesn't go Super Saiyan), so Goku got more energy to enchant his abilities.

Crazy anime stuff!

Funny. Toriyama wanted to stop the series after the Frieza Saga; Super Saiyan was supposed to be the one and only ultimate transformation. Then the producers begged him to continue on all the way to the Buu Saga.

Now... this happened. So glad there are other series out there that know when to stop.

Well there's so talk that Akira thought about the Frieza Saga ending and it would've left too many questions and there's Vegeta which he decided himself to continue with the Android/Cell Saga. Not sure... if Akira comes out and says it I hope so become this little argument needs to be put to rest.

Plus with the Buu Saga he felt drained and tired with the DBZ story which is why he didn't bother that much, but he has stated that he approve fan-creations based on his series and more or less like GT and apparently gave the thumbs up for it to go and worked on the beginning of GT (most likely the Black Star Dragon Balls) and left the rest of the team to carry on. He does like to like the SS4 form as he did an illustration for a GT boxset or something.

And recently with the new DBZ movie, Battle of Gods, Akira has regain his love for DBZ and now wants to continue working on it which lead to the Super Saiyan God and movie it stars in. I need to dig up the articles and discussion where it was stated.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 02:56:55 AM
Regarding GT, there's no doubt that SSJ4 Goku is cool to look at. I do like the idea of him reverting back to his Saiyan heritage, hence the fur and whatnot. But the actual series is horseshit.

These transformations should have stopped at SSJ2 at the very most. I say "at the very most" because I happen to love the Cell Saga (and Cell's voice dub, seriously, it's [tornado fang]ing awesome).

I don't care if this series continues or not. If I want a DBZ fix, I'll just watch the old episodes.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:30:09 AM
Even more so, since the grand success of the movie the series is getting a revival and an order for about 200 episodes has been made. It's suppose to start after the Buu saga. The movie will probably be inducted into the canon and it'll likely pick up with Goku training Uub.

I didn't see anything personally about this, just what people tell me, so I can't vouch for it's 100% authenticity.

Honestly there isn't much they can do from this point on. They involved the spirit world in the Buu saga, and went balls to the wall to make the strongest characters in history. Where exactly do they go from here?

On that thought, I do believe the ideas behind the GT series were really great. They nerfed goku, and took things out to space away from the OP saturated planet Earth. The overuse of the Draognballs was good, and Baby was conceptually an interesting tie in with the Tuffles. Beyond that, incorporating the Ozaru form back into the series was a great idea, and made a lot of sense. It was nice to see Goku's tail back either way. SSJ4 almost feels like a different transform line than the rest though. I could see it as being the next step for the Ozaru transformation, being able to invoke the form at will, and then also combining THAT with SSJ mode, making a golden haired looking SSJ4 design (or white haired like the hoaxed SSJ5).

But with all that potential, GT was ruined because the execution and script writing was absolutely god awful. The people in charge of actually producing the episodes really had no idea how to handle the source material. They threw out all the conventions of the way things worked in the series, though lose as they may have been, and just replaced it all with 'Saturday Morning Cartoon' logic. Counter to that though, as explained above, the planners and concept guys behind it all seemed to know what they were doing.

Despite that though the final battle was fairly good, and the epilogue was a nice series send off in my opinion.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 04:52:25 PM
[youtube]AyK1_rEWBII[/youtube]

Intense! Though the quality of the video could've been better for Namco EU to upload.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 09:04:05 PM
That definitely looks cool. I hope the gameplay can stand up to it though.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 10:56:34 PM
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/21/dragon-ball-z-battle-of-z-announced-for-america/

Announced for the US and... the Vita version is digital download only? o_0
Interesting...

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 10:58:51 PM
Chris, why don't you update that Final Fantasy thread you created?

Cuz, you know, it's better than this.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 09:57:48 AM
I think this seems to be a home port of the arcade game 'Zenkai Battle Royale', if the gameplay and graphical similarities are anything to go by:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORD_GKXcQAs[/youtube]

Offline VirusChris

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 09:43:57 PM