How would a 3D Mega man work?

Waifu · 9263

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: January 09, 2012, 06:57:34 PM
You know I had seen and played my fair share of Mega Man 3d games. Legends notwithstanding, how would a 3D Mega man game work out? Mega Man X7 was an attempt to get the X series into 3D but it didn't really workout to well and it was filled with so many flaws that it is was not even funny. Mega Man Legends is an adventure RPG similar to the Zelda franchise. Mega Man X8, Mega Man Transmission, Mega man Powerup and Maverick Hunter X were 2.5D games so while they they did use 3D they were mostly sidescrollers with 3D graphics anyway. Super Mario 64 is an awesome platformer that is still awesome even to this day but on thing always bothered me, how can blend an action sidescroller series like Mega man into something similar to Jak and Daxter? What would have to change in order for Mega man to go into 3D?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:51:38 PM
Vanquish

with Mega Man characters

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:54:34 PM
First thing that would have to change is Capcom giving a damn about the franchise.

After that... we'd just need some good level design with well-executed gameplay. X7 was a fair attempt, but it failed overall. I think polishing up everything might have more success.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:44:35 PM
Vanquish if you focus on the combat elements (would be really good for an X series style game), Ratchet & Clank if you go the route of crazy platforming challenges with even crazier weapons at your disposal Classic Series style. You could also adapt Zero series in a Devil May Cry/Ninja Gaiden style & ZX in a similar manner to the R&C idea except with more focus on form changing versus external weaponry.

I was also playing with an idea in my head for an action game using Axl (or Axl's mechanics) for a combat design where instead of getting tons of weapons to play with, the character morphs parts of their form for the close combat needs while guns are there for ranged play.

This franchise has so much potential.

Offline Sigma Zero X

• Cool Mirage Diver
  • Robot Master
  • "Here We Go!"
    • View Profile
    • Sigma Zero X's Mega Man X Videos
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 04:11:44 AM
First off, I'll say that I am one of the few people who openly admits to liking Megaman X7 a lot, despite its limitations.

That said, a 3D Mega Man game can work if the following occurred:

1.  The game constantly ran at 60FPS with no slowdowns.
2.  The camera functions properly (e.g., Legends 1 and 2; the fight against Red in X7.  Not the trainwreck of a camera in Boarski's boss arena in X7.)
3.  Playtesting is key.
4.  Potential patches.
5.  No glitches or bugs that could negatively affect the game.

"Well.  This is just delightful!" - Marino, from Mega Man X Command Mission

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 02:44:09 PM
X7 had a dead on clear shot to send it home, but then it slipped and tripped on it's own feet.

X7 had a GOOD movement and gameplay engine, despite a few drawbacks that could be easily fixed.

Fixes:
1. Walking speed needs to increase. And as a result, so does dashing to compensate.
2. Dash jump off of a wall and back lands you lower than where you started. Needs to be more like the other games in this regard.
3. Camera is terrible. Redo it entirely.
4. Stage design was pretty shitty. This needs a complete redo.
5. Lose the 2D/3D mixture. The 3D was fine, given you fix it up. Mixing them just screws up the physics and speed for each other.
6. Death pits and completely stunned knocked down status do not work well together.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:40:43 PM
How do you define bad stage design anyway? Never played X7 myself.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 02:21:56 AM
I would define "bad stage" with "Tornado Tonion".

You know that winding staircase shpiel that they used for brief segments of Split Mushroom's and Izzy Glow's stages?  They basically made an ENTIRE stage out of just that.

The 2D level design of the game is just entirely too linear.  The only 2D level that comes close to decent is Soldier Stonekong's.  The auto-lock doesn't really help make things any less boring, either; there's no reason for it to exist in 2D.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:06:08 AM
The only 3D stages I recall enjoying a bit were parts of Gungaroo and Hyena's stages.

To be honest I barely recall most of X7's stages. they were pretty bland all together. not only was the 2D overly linear, but the 3D was too. And the 3D sections had little to no platforming.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 05:03:05 AM
Hyenard's stages were awful

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 03:53:37 AM
I thought Anteater's level was cool, with the flipped area teleporters and the nifty music.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 06:30:14 AM
Hyenard's stages were awful

What I learned from playing X7:
"BURN! BURN TO THE GROUND! BURN! BURN! BURN TO THE GROUND!" x100

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 04:02:25 PM
A valuable lesson.

That, and always keep a D-Glaive handy. 8)

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 11:09:58 PM
People actually finding good things about X7 mystify me, and this is coming from someone who enjoys X6 quite a bit. XD

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 12:03:51 AM
Well there you go. if you can enjoy X6, i'm sure others can find enjoyable parts of X7.
I thought Anteater's level was cool, with the flipped area teleporters and the nifty music.
It was.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 04:08:28 AM
I liked X6.

Except the first(?) Gate Laboratory stage with all the totem poles and spikes and enemies everywhere, it was complete hell

Offline Sigma Zero X

• Cool Mirage Diver
  • Robot Master
  • "Here We Go!"
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 04:43:29 AM
People actually finding good things about X7 mystify me, and this is coming from someone who enjoys X6 quite a bit. XD

Let's just say for my case, it took a while for me to like X7 a lot.  I initially thought that X7 was fair at best after I cleared the game and retired from playing it for a while.  But after I eventually decided to play it on hard, tested a few things, and I eventually won against Red on Hard perfectly, I truly appreciated and loved Megaman X7 a lot.  

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 10:10:49 AM
I think that the X series from X2 onward had pretty bland level designs (some exception nonwithstanding)

Offline Treleus

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 09:14:03 PM
I wouldn't say that. Most of X2's levels were just that much shorter than X1's. X3 fixed that, but then X4 went and made the levels a tad linear. Not that they were all bad or anything, just a tad more linear.

X7 is a blurry mish-mash of [parasitic bomb] to me. I remember Gungaroo's stage with the Ride Armor, Ride Boarski's bad Cheval stage, Wind Crowrang's airship, that burning battleship stage, the cyberspace stage, and really boring music.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 09:44:14 PM
really boring music.

To me, X7 had the best music.

Offline Sigma Zero X

• Cool Mirage Diver
  • Robot Master
  • "Here We Go!"
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 04:34:12 AM
X7 is a blurry mish-mash of [parasitic bomb] to me. I remember Gungaroo's stage with the Ride Armor, Ride Boarski's bad Cheval stage, Wind Crowrang's airship, that burning battleship stage, the cyberspace stage, and really boring music.

I agree with you on Boarski's stage being quite bad.

I am so-so with the cyberspace stage.  The right-side up parts work fine, but the inverted portions were confusing when I first dealt with it.

But I disagree on everything else, especially the boring music part.  While the X7 soundtrack is not one of the ideal soundtracks ever, it has some great songs like the Crimson Palace theme, Red's theme, both of Sigma's themes, and the ending credits song, among a few others. 

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 06:23:24 AM
Basically like a third person shooter with lots of movement options, then throw in some 2.5D platforming parts to stay traditional.  It's that simple.

X7 actually TRIED to do this and FAILED miserably.  In all honesty, it could have worked out.  It's obviously too late now.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 07:36:24 AM
Basically like a third person shooter with lots of movement options, then throw in some 2.5D platforming parts to stay traditional.  It's that simple.

X7 actually TRIED to do this and FAILED miserably.  In all honesty, it could have worked out.  It's obviously too late now.

I could see this using the source engine. That would probably be pretty intresting, to say the least.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 07:52:02 PM
The Sigma theme and battle themes, are really kick ass.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 01:09:55 AM
The combat mechanics of Metroid Other M (especially if you only do charge shots in battles, and I mean ONLY charged shots) somehow, can give a vision of a very nice 3D X game~