Unused/Alternate dialogue found in Mega Man Legends 1 disc

OKeijiDragon · 2971

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
A few weeks ago, being a sucker for pre-release/unseen/beta/oddities content for games that I am, I was peeking into the first Legends and I some pretty interesting things in the XA directory of the disc. In other words, I may have found some unused dialogue in the game.

And yeah I happened to make a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn20ZW76nYM

Unused dialogue includes alternate lines for MegaMan on unlocking the portals to the living quarters, unheard cheering from the TV Reporter after presumably clearing the Bonnes' robots in City Hall, and more intended dialogue from the Inspector after foiling the "bank robbery".

Pretty cool what you can find unused in games, huh? I wonder if Capcom initially planned on adding more content to MML during its localization. Speaking of which, I wonder what took so long to bring the game to the US? Localization of the game dragged on till May if the games files are any indication.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, besides the content that was edited in the localization, I've come to the realization the MML has two new exclusive tracks that weren't featured in DASH 1: the Staff Roll tune and the Pop CD. I'll get more on that later as I need to log-off soon.

EDIT 2: I should have added "Alternate" for the topic name.

EDIT: I'll finish this topic once i'm done with my business

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 11:49:41 PM
Of course you would find the unused voice clips there. XA files are the WAV audio format for PS1 games. They are easily playable and aren't MIDIs. Pretty much every voice work is saved there, and some of the Japanese clips are still inside the English games. ^^

On most cutscenes, they make the sound clip so long, it doesn't lip sync properly with the characters.
The cutscene music is mixed with a bunch of voices on the same clip, so it's hard to rip music that way. ^^

EDIT: Wait a minute, some of them aren't unused. You just have to let bad things happen in the game, like the part where the mayor's building gets destroyed. And the (Jill-lookalike) girl who wanted some red color for her painting. That line does play in the game, for me at least. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 12:28:15 AM
EDIT: Wait a minute, some of them aren't unused. You just have to let bad things happen in the game, like the part where the mayor's building gets destroyed. And the (Jill-lookalike) girl who wanted some red color for her painting. That line does play in the game, for me at least. ^^
Well, I appreciate the reply you just gave, I can assure you -- And I've played the entire game, twice, to make sure that if these pieces of dialogue are heard in the game -- that lines such as "We were almost flattened like pancakes there!", "but we're both all right, don't worry!", "Looks like trouble's a-brewin'!" and "The sound of gunfire has ceased..." aren't normally heard in the game. If lines such as those can 100% be heard during gameplay, then I honestly don't know how can they be triggered.