Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread

Align · 341156

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 02:41:49 AM
The problem with gaming today is there aren't any good female characters. Usually if it's a fairytale case of a knight saving <random country leader here> (Mario and Zelda are both like this), it HAS to be a male saving a female leader. Never the other way around and God forbid we have a same-sex deal.

Link saves Zelda and saves the day.
Mario saves Peach and saves the day.

The only game we get that works against this is Super Princess Peach, where Peach has to save Mario. It was great seeing Peach in her own game finally. And she wasn't cooking or doing any other stereotypical "girl" chore. She also didn't sacrifice her femininity in the process in order to look strong. True strength of the character does not come from how they look. It comes from her overcoming the odds and achieving her goals.

However, there are some girls that just look hot with a badass look. Paine and Lightning... <3

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 02:45:40 AM
Samus has spanked intergalactic ass many times over.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: January 27, 2009, 02:48:13 AM
Samus has spanked intergalactic ass many times over.
That's one too. Although, people tend to forget that she's a girl--not sure why.

People tend to think, though, that characters like Lara Croft are strong. She isn't. She doesn't even have a personality. All she is to players is a piece of ass. That's it. She goes from one cutscene to the next never growing or changing one bit.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: January 27, 2009, 03:04:05 AM
Although, people tend to forget that she's a girl.

You're making that up.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: January 27, 2009, 03:04:59 AM
The only game we get that works against this is Super Princess Peach, where Peach has to save Mario. It was great seeing Peach in her own game finally. And she wasn't cooking or doing any other stereotypical "girl" chore. She also didn't sacrifice her femininity in the process in order to look strong. True strength of the character does not come from how they look. It comes from her overcoming the odds and achieving her goals.

Super Mario RPG and Super Paper Mario says hi. Sure, she started as the usual damsel in distress, but then she escaped and kicked some evil ass together with Mario, Bowser and others.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #55 on: January 27, 2009, 03:36:06 AM
People tend to think, though, that characters like Lara Croft are strong. She isn't. She doesn't even have a personality. All she is to players is a piece of ass. That's it. She goes from one cutscene to the next never growing or changing one bit.

She seems to be growing on one spot tho. >w<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: January 27, 2009, 03:58:56 AM
Why not just have the "Different Gender, Same Basic Storyline" thing, a la PKMN, and more recently, Rockman ZX?

Honestly, because I'd rather see a Princess Zelda game.  I mean, we've seen the power that Zelda possesses more times then one.  Plus, the series is called The Legend of Zelda, so therefore I think it'd be nice.  The Twilight Princess design of Zelda showed her with a Sword, I believe.  Not to mention all of her magical ability as well. 

In terms of storytelling, they could do a decent job of telling how perhaps the Hero of Time/Wind/Light/Sexcellence was either trapped or didn't show up, and thus a new Zelda decided to get into the game and play for keeps!

The problem with gaming today is there aren't any good female characters. Usually if it's a fairytale case of a knight saving <random country leader here> (Mario and Zelda are both like this), it HAS to be a male saving a female leader. Never the other way around and God forbid we have a same-sex deal.

Link saves Zelda and saves the day.
Mario saves Peach and saves the day.

That's not a good excuse, I'm sorry.  Gaming's lack of stronger female characters has nothing to do with Mario or Link.  Basically, you're asking Nintendo to alter their game so that females are represented better in these two Ninty stories, which are classic tales of Knight of Honor rescuing a Princess, tales that's been told for hundreds of years.  Instead of trying to change what already works fine, IMO, what they should do is create new characters and newer games with stronger female leads, more customization, and that sort of thing.  Or, like I suggested, make a Legend of Zelda game actually based on Zelda.  Make a new Wind Waker game based on Tetra and the Pirates either before or after they meet *in Brawl announcer voice* TOON LINK. 

They did it with Peach, and they could do it with Zelda.  Hell, Nintendo has quite a few Female characters which could possibly be used as a lead character, besides Samus.  Daisy, Captain Syrup, Krystal (like the original intent of Star Fox Adventures was, if I recall), or many others they have.  Or actually get the imagination going and create someone new, rather than just putting tits on Link. 

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: January 27, 2009, 04:07:51 AM
-post-

Stop posting what I think better than I would dammit! I was trying to respond to that for the longest time and then you just breeze on in and do it in one take. XD

In other random news, I'd like to know how come there hasn't been a Nintendo game with a female pirate lead yet. No, not Zelda related or Captain Syrup either. It's just an idea I've had forever and wondered why it hasn't been done yet.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: January 27, 2009, 04:10:27 AM
Stop posting what I think better than I would dammit! I was trying to respond to that for the longest time and then you just breeze on in and do it in one take. XD

Jelly, have you seen my Sig?  You're no match for me!  You're too slow!   8D

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: January 27, 2009, 04:13:45 AM
You just wait until this lazy spell blows over, I'll run laps around you with my thoughts. XD

Still though, anyone else think that Nintendo's going to just stealth bomb us with this new Zelda as opposed to a massive year+ long media blitz like past entries?

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: January 27, 2009, 04:17:29 AM
The stealth part started already alright. Remember that replay thing patent? It wouldn't surprise me anyways, what with Nintendo's new policy to unveil new games 2 months before lunch leaving no room for hype or much advertising (hi Disaster).

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: January 27, 2009, 04:20:30 AM
Still though, anyone else think that Nintendo's going to just stealth bomb us with this new Zelda as opposed to a massive year+ long media blitz like past entries?

i guarrantee it. and i welcome it with open arms. hype kills.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: January 27, 2009, 04:21:23 AM
Indeed, we don't want a repeat of Twilight Princess and Brawl do we?

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: January 27, 2009, 04:24:47 AM
Honestly, because I'd rather see a Princess Zelda game. 

You SURE, Blues-y? Even knowing what happened the last TWO times Zelda got a title?  8D

But seriously...

I mean, we've seen the power that Zelda possesses more times then one.  Plus, the series is called The Legend of Zelda, so therefore I think it'd be nice.  The Twilight Princess design of Zelda showed her with a Sword, I believe.  Not to mention all of her magical ability as well. 

In terms of storytelling, they could do a decent job of telling how perhaps the Hero of Time/Wind/Light/Sexcellence was either trapped or didn't show up, and thus a new Zelda decided to get into the game and play for keeps!

Hero of Sexcellence? No MAN with a title like that should ever have any foul thing befoul him! That'd be like a "Divide By 0" type of event!

Any way, while interesting, my thing would just be...would it be better to just have a game starring Sheik?

Lord knows there are enough people who'd probably dig a thing like that, especially if it did more to play up to the exact "relationship" between Zel and the Sheikah-wanna be. Is Sheik really just a convenient magical conjuration for the sake of a disguise, or is there possibly more to the story that we may not know of? That could be an interesting thing for a game itself.

But I do agree some what with the notion that Noboka talked about, however. Would it be at all possible to have such a game, without drastically changing Zelda's demeanor and character archetype? Not trying to be a chauvinist or whatever, I just have a hard time honestly picturing Zelda "throwing down" or otherwise getting her hands dirty, outside of the context of Smash, of course.  8D

They did it with Peach, and they could do it with Zelda.  Hell, Nintendo has quite a few Female characters which could possibly be used as a lead character, besides Samus.  Daisy, Captain Syrup, Krystal (like the original intent of Star Fox Adventures was, if I recall), or many others they have.  Or actually get the imagination going and create someone new, rather than just putting tits on Link. 

I fully agree with the notion that Ninty is sitting on great female leads. (Especially Captain Syrup, but I'm a bit biased!)

But on the same note, I still don't see what would be the harm of, at least for once, maybe possibly having Link being a girl, or just have the "different genders" like I suggested. As long as it was done with a degree of "class", and actually did some thing to play to the advantage of having the PC being as such.

..Of course, on the other hand, that would just give them more of an incentive to have MORE Link clones in a future Smash. And we can't have that, now can we...?  8D

Of course not.

Because in the end, it's not worth it. Let them develop it on their own time, and we'll gladly buy it when it's ready.

I'm STILL waiting on Kirby Adventure Wii though....dammit, Nintendo! Super Star's already done well enough! Reveal that game so I can snap it already!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: January 27, 2009, 04:24:55 AM
i guarrantee it. and i welcome it with open arms. hype kills.

So true, granted since it's Zelda, it will have it's eventual hype period. Maybe just shortened to four months tops though.

TP I'll give you, but I have a weird "that was so awesome" geekish memory from the Brawl hype and I really wouldn't mind a second run sometimes. When Japan Time ended, gamers' souls everywhere felt it. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: January 27, 2009, 04:40:43 AM
You SURE, Blues-y? Even knowing what happened the last TWO times Zelda got a title?  8D

LoL, at the worst, we'll get some more awesome YTP!

But seriously...

Hero of Sexcellence? No MAN with a title like that should ever have any foul thing befoul him! That'd be like a "Divide By 0" type of event!

Tis true, oh Hero of the Sex-Text!   8)

Any way, while interesting, my thing would just be...would it be better to just have a game starring Sheik?

Lord knows there are enough people who'd probably dig a thing like that, especially if it did more to play up to the exact "relationship" between Zel and the Sheikah-wanna be. Is Sheik really just a convenient magical conjuration for the sake of a disguise, or is there possibly more to the story that we may not know of? That could be an interesting thing for a game itself.

That would be another interesting concept to see as well.  Again, that goes with my idea of using another character as a main, rather than just using TitsLink.

But I do agree some what with the notion that Noboka talked about, however. Would it be at all possible to have such a game, without drastically changing Zelda's demeanor and character archetype? Not trying to be a chauvinist or whatever, I just have a hard time honestly picturing Zelda "throwing down" or otherwise getting her hands dirty, outside of the context of Smash, of course.  8D

That's my point.  With proper storytelling, it could very well be done.  Perhaps this time, the Triforce of Courage is in danger, and it's up to bearer of the Triforce of Wisdom to get off her high throne and kick some ass and scroll some names!  8)

I fully agree with the notion that Ninty is sitting on great female leads. (Especially Captain Syrup, but I'm a bit biased!)

Oh, I knew you'd like that one!   8D

But on the same note, I still don't see what would be the harm of, at least for once, maybe possibly having Link being a girl, or just have the "different genders" like I suggested. As long as it was done with a degree of "class", and actually did some thing to play to the advantage of having the PC being as such.

Because I just feel they can do more than that.  Mario gave us Super Princess Peach.  They didn't just give Mario boobies, which I feel was the right move.  As you said, make a game with Sheik, or Tetra, or Zelda.  That would be the better way to go, IMO, instead of having it where you decide between Link & TitsLink.  I mean, for [tornado fang]'s sake, the Zelda timeline is strange & confusing enough as it is.  Can you imagine the loss of brain power when fans try to figure out whether Link or TitsLink was the "main" or not.  8D

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: January 27, 2009, 04:56:02 AM
I mean, for [tornado fang]'s sake, the Zelda timeline is strange & confusing enough as it is.  Can you imagine the loss of brain power when fans try to figure out whether Link or TitsLink was the "main" or not.  8D

That's their problem for trying to take the storyline so seriously, when I bet even Nintendo themselves don't give two shits about the storyline now.  8D

I gotta give it to whomever (Miyamoto or whomever), who just basically came out and said, quite plainly, that the Mario-series HAS NO CONTINUITY. That just made things a whole lot simpler, since technically, now even the Sports and Party games can probably fit in there some where, and it all makes "sense" for the series.

Zelda, or rather its fans, have been basically building this whole thing revolving around "two timelines" (last I checked), and when TP did little (re: NOTHING!) to resolve it one way or the other, these geeks cried foul.

It would really be just so much simpler, if some one would basically have the gall to just go all Cid Highwind on their collective asses, and tell 'em to "SIT DOWN AND DRINK YOUR GOD %^*& TEA!!"  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: January 27, 2009, 05:01:45 AM
That's their problem for trying to take the storyline so seriously, when I bet even Nintendo themselves don't give two shits about the storyline now.  8D

LoL, okay, you've just given me the most valid reason to include TitsLink!   8D

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: January 27, 2009, 05:34:08 AM
I made up a rather lengthy rebuttal, PB, but I decided it's better for me to keep my thoughts to myself from now on. I'm sorry for disturbing this topic.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: January 27, 2009, 05:35:25 AM
I made up a rather lengthy rebuttal, PB, but I decided it's better for me to keep my thoughts to myself from now on. I'm sorry for disturbing this topic.

I say post it anyway!  Or, if you want, PM it to me!   8)

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: January 27, 2009, 05:45:40 AM

If you're sorry for disturbing this topic, why did you just make a post with absolutely no content?

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: January 27, 2009, 05:49:40 AM

Nonesense, Nobo! This is a discussion forum! We're here to chat and have arguements about videogames and other useless stuff! 8)

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: January 27, 2009, 05:53:16 AM
you should post it Nobo, as it's not disturbing the topic in the least. for once, RPM is staying on topic.

while i'm here, i'll say i'm alright with a female Link. the way i can see it working, however, would be a 2 Link story. brother and sister, likely twins, both chosen ones by the Triforce of Courage or whatever. perhaps you could play as both, with each having their own paths to take that frequently meet up with the other. or maybe the other can follow you Tails style. if it means a co-op Zelda, i wouldn't mind at all.

the Zelda/Sheik game is very intriguing as well.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: January 27, 2009, 05:59:33 AM
I'm sorry... I'm not as strong as some of you here--most likely not anyone.

Here's the points I made: I think that Nintendo's franchise's are going to change. Zelda is included. As their demographic changes with the different audiences that buy their game, they're going to need to change. People are becoming more open-minded. More girls are playing video games. All these things factor in. I think Zelda will have a female hero. It's only a matter of time at this point. Simply wanting a franchise to change isn't enough. It will change because people do.

Well, my original one was more longer, but I'm too lazy to type it all over again.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: January 27, 2009, 06:04:39 AM
I'm sorry... I'm not as strong as some of you here--most likely not anyone.

you're stronger then me.