Legend of Zelda - The official Zelda thread

Align · 343504

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2125 on: April 11, 2016, 04:09:31 AM
Mainly if it was like Birth by Sleep, where you need to play the game with another character to obtain all the items and experience a different story perspective.

That's a good example. Didn't think of that one.

However my favorite FF character is Celes, Terra is cool but I think she could use some better writing and character exploration via a remake like FF4 DS.

I'm in no position to really insult characters either because I like Lightning more than anyone in the FF universe.

Given the fact I'm willing to play through Dark Souls/Demons/Bloodborne 3+ times each to get all the achievements I'm willing to believe people would to see dialogue.  8D

To be fair Dark Souls despite the HARDCORE association is good for casual players who want to idly min/max a character and hop in and out of PvE/PvP. Main reason I play it so much these days is because I can make progress in the story while still being able to jump in/out of the game. Because the worst thing I'd have to do is run back to a bonfire.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #2126 on: April 11, 2016, 04:15:02 AM
I actually like Lightning too... -u-'

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2127 on: April 11, 2016, 04:18:31 AM
she a cutie patootie

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #2128 on: April 11, 2016, 04:24:15 AM
I like her design and weapons, but I don't really care for her personality.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2129 on: April 11, 2016, 04:27:37 AM
To be fair Dark Souls despite the HARDCORE association is good for casual players who want to idly min/max a character and hop in and out of PvE/PvP. Main reason I play it so much these days is because I can make progress in the story while still being able to jump in/out of the game. Because the worst thing I'd have to do is run back to a bonfire.

I've got to the point where I make lots of theme characters, based around RP concepts or even weapons. It leads to lots of fun builds. : >

I like her design and weapons, but I don't really care for her personality.

She has a personality?  8D

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2130 on: April 11, 2016, 04:29:24 AM
I've got to the point where I make lots of theme characters, based around RP concepts or even weapons. It leads to lots of fun builds. : >

>lots of fun builds

http://youtu.be/oXp8Th41rBs

http://youtu.be/oyA8odjCzZ4

the latter oneshotted me in pvp last night

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2131 on: April 11, 2016, 04:31:01 AM
You can't beat Giant Dad because

THE LEGEND NEVER DIES

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2132 on: April 11, 2016, 04:36:03 AM
You can't beat Giant Dad because

THE LEGEND NEVER DIES

what rings u got bithc

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2133 on: April 11, 2016, 04:51:23 AM
Shiva of the East?

More like Shiva the deceased!  8D

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2135 on: April 11, 2016, 05:02:18 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEiGa5Z9SYU

Giant Dad Boss theme best boss theme? 

Okay I will stop spamming the Zelda thread.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2136 on: April 11, 2016, 05:48:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEiGa5Z9SYU

Giant Dad Boss theme best boss theme? 

Okay I will stop spamming the Zelda thread.

Spam as much as you want.

Derailing threads are the lifeblood of RPM! 8D

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #2137 on: April 11, 2016, 12:18:20 PM
Speaking of thread derail, do you guys think that Majora's Mask is postmodern? I read an essay ont his once but I am gonna try to find it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #2138 on: April 12, 2016, 07:06:41 AM
As for the New 3DS, the ten FPS drop doesn't bother me that much. I'm sure I'll eventually get a New 3DS anyway. Plus, I never play any games with 3D on, so I don't mind that I can't use 3D. The graphics on the Wii U version, though. Pretty neato. Paying $100 for a game that I originally didn't want to pay $60 for seems kinda silly.
I guess if you don't already have the Wii U version and don't mind the 3DS's visuals, the 3DS version is the way to go, since it includes the vast majority of U's DLC from the get-go.  I got the Wii U version at launch, love how gorgeous it looks, the higher enemy count, and the fact that it has co-op.

Also, despite the repetitive gameplay, this sucker can keep you hooked for MANY, MANY hours.  I prefer to sit down in the living room with a big screen for that.

Unpopular opinion, might sound misogynist, but I really don't want there to be a gender option in Zelda U. I feel like it'd break the tradition and that there's no point in it aside from Nintendo pandering to SJWs. The franchise went 30 years with nobody caring for a gender choice. Other Nintendo IPs like Fire Emblem and Pokemon started allowing for it but nobody complained about Zelda. There just doesn't seem a point to it.
I'm a little torn.  On one hand, I want to see another Linkle.  On the other, the less is solid about a given character's identity, the more restricted you are in what kind of character interactions you can create.  I mean, Skyward Sword was praised for its depiction of Link and Zelda's relationship.  Me personally, I adore seeing Midna hang on Link's shoulder in Twilight Princess.  And...Link kinda has a reputation as a heart-breaker.  Much of that either does not work or does not have the same impact if gender is not fixed.

Pokemon has minimal personal relationships, while Fire Emblem is all about personal relationships to the point where running one more "character" is no biggie.  Ironically, a middle-ground game such as Zelda presents the biggest problem.  You're either stuck in the most vague and generic of character interactions, or you're writing for two characters in a series where you'd otherwise only be writing for one. 

Also, trying to appeal to 50% of the population is hardly pandering. It's bad business not to try to get more girls playing video games.
Why is it assumed that people are bothered by a player character being a different gender from themselves?  Do you have ANY IDEA how much play time I spend playing as female characters?  Daisy, Midna, Samus, and roughly half of my Pokemon trainers, just to name a few.

I was really incensed with Blizzard caved and removed that pose for Tracer in Overwatch.

...But then they added a new one that was arguably lewder so I laughed at that.
Allegedly Blizzard was torn on the pose from the get-go which is why they changed it so quickly.  Me, personally, I find it laughable that people who are concerned about Tracer being sexualized approach it from the angle of what pose she strikes.  So wearing an outfit that's skintight from the waist down is perfectly non-sexual as long as you don't move your hips the wrong way?  Ugh, whatever.

I think "SJW" is a poor label for what is really just a nerdy flavor of political correctness, but there is a LOT of it and it is damaging to video games as well as to other media.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2139 on: April 14, 2016, 07:04:10 AM
I've been enjoying Legends myself. Really like the rebalancing of the Adventure Mode maps, and the fact that some maps that require a certain character let you bring multiples in kinda makes getting weapons a bit easier.

I'm also loving My Fairy mode, mostly because fairy nukes are a bit OP on "kill X enemies" stages.

(and yes I am still alive)

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2140 on: April 14, 2016, 07:12:47 AM
Miiiiiiiirby! O^O

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2141 on: April 14, 2016, 07:13:51 AM
You missed the space battle

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2142 on: April 14, 2016, 04:55:52 PM
Finally dug out my Wii version of Twilight Princess, so it's time for some more control nit-picks.

Epona, Epona, Epona...  The HD version has an EXTREMELY wide dead zone when riding her, but once you're beyond that she seems to turn at about the same rate.  I can only imagine they did that because the Gamepad and Pro controllers do not have notched slots to their analogue sticks, but they clearly went too far.

I forgot just how loose swimming with the Zora Armor was in the original, you could make someone sick by swimming in circles.  Glad they tightened that up in HD.  Not so glad that Link refuses to break the surface of the water in HD unless you release the A button.  It's a minor inconvenience, but it is awkward and was not part of the original.

What I utterly despise about HD is, still, the combat controls.  I've ranted about Wolf Link having three attacks on the same freaking button already, but I'm also having issues with the Shield Attack.  For some reason, during an intense battle, there are certain moments when the game registers ZR as an A button substitute, causing me to jump instead of shield.  There is absolutely no excuse as to why that should ever happen.

Still, the game looks great in HD, and the wallet size increase is a godsend (Big Wallet in the original was 600, as opposed to HD's 2,000).  Also, the Gamepad map lets you know how many Poes are in a province, which is handy (I never did find them all in the original).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2143 on: April 15, 2016, 06:00:30 AM
I mainly came back because someone REALLY REALLY wants me to add their 3DS friend code and I've been busy with life and stuff, trying not to be homeless. Also I've been streaming on Twitch more.

Anyways to actually be on topic, I really want to get TPHD but it's not a priority. Really looking forward to the DLC for Legends (already purchased the Season Pass for both versions). Adventure Mode is more fun. New ending for Legends Mode is more satisfying than the original, and Phantom Ganon is a fun battle. Same with Helmaroc King and the Blins.

About to clear the Great Sea map, or at least unlock the spaces leading to the final part of it.

I assume I already missed speculation on the DLC characters. We already know Marin is the Link's Awakening representative, but that still leaves the new character from the DS Zeldas and the two from the A Link Between Worlds pack, not to mention the new weapons coming.

Oh and can I say that Ganondorf's Trident is incredibly fun to use?

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2144 on: April 15, 2016, 06:01:52 AM
Is it that Retro dude, he's been spamming all our accounts with that.  I don't get his deal with Friend Codes.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2145 on: April 15, 2016, 06:03:02 AM
Yep. It's him. He sent me THREE messages before I finally came back to let him know that I'm at 100 friends and am still at 100 friends and then he asks IS ONE OF THEM MY OLD ONE.

No. That's been gone. Leave me alone.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2146 on: April 15, 2016, 06:04:31 AM
Yeah like I said he sends mass messages to everyone on the Friend List thread, it's why I haven't added him.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #2147 on: April 15, 2016, 07:48:16 AM
I guess if you don't already have the Wii U version and don't mind the 3DS's visuals, the 3DS version is the way to go, since it includes the vast majority of U's DLC from the get-go.  I got the Wii U version at launch, love how gorgeous it looks, the higher enemy count, and the fact that it has co-op.

Also, despite the repetitive gameplay, this sucker can keep you hooked for MANY, MANY hours.  I prefer to sit down in the living room with a big screen for that.
I'm a little torn.  On one hand, I want to see another Linkle.  On the other, the less is solid about a given character's identity, the more restricted you are in what kind of character interactions you can create.  I mean, Skyward Sword was praised for its depiction of Link and Zelda's relationship.  Me personally, I adore seeing Midna hang on Link's shoulder in Twilight Princess.  And...Link kinda has a reputation as a heart-breaker.  Much of that either does not work or does not have the same impact if gender is not fixed.

Pokemon has minimal personal relationships, while Fire Emblem is all about personal relationships to the point where running one more "character" is no biggie.  Ironically, a middle-ground game such as Zelda presents the biggest problem.  You're either stuck in the most vague and generic of character interactions, or you're writing for two characters in a series where you'd otherwise only be writing for one. 
Why is it assumed that people are bothered by a player character being a different gender from themselves?  Do you have ANY IDEA how much play time I spend playing as female characters?  Daisy, Midna, Samus, and roughly half of my Pokemon trainers, just to name a few.
Allegedly Blizzard was torn on the pose from the get-go which is why they changed it so quickly.  Me, personally, I find it laughable that people who are concerned about Tracer being sexualized approach it from the angle of what pose she strikes.  So wearing an outfit that's skintight from the waist down is perfectly non-sexual as long as you don't move your hips the wrong way?  Ugh, whatever.

I think "SJW" is a poor label for what is really just a nerdy flavor of political correctness, but there is a LOT of it and it is damaging to video games as well as to other media.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, I would like to post more but we are off topic as it is.

Finally dug out my Wii version of Twilight Princess, so it's time for some more control nit-picks.

Epona, Epona, Epona...  The HD version has an EXTREMELY wide dead zone when riding her, but once you're beyond that she seems to turn at about the same rate.  I can only imagine they did that because the Gamepad and Pro controllers do not have notched slots to their analogue sticks, but they clearly went too far.

I forgot just how loose swimming with the Zora Armor was in the original, you could make someone sick by swimming in circles.  Glad they tightened that up in HD.  Not so glad that Link refuses to break the surface of the water in HD unless you release the A button.  It's a minor inconvenience, but it is awkward and was not part of the original.

What I utterly despise about HD is, still, the combat controls.  I've ranted about Wolf Link having three attacks on the same freaking button already, but I'm also having issues with the Shield Attack.  For some reason, during an intense battle, there are certain moments when the game registers ZR as an A button substitute, causing me to jump instead of shield.  There is absolutely no excuse as to why that should ever happen.

Still, the game looks great in HD, and the wallet size increase is a godsend (Big Wallet in the original was 600, as opposed to HD's 2,000).  Also, the Gamepad map lets you know how many Poes are in a province, which is handy (I never did find them all in the original).

Good thing I still have my Wii version. I wish I had the Gamecube version where the controls aren't as confusing to me. It took some getting used to but the controls in Twlight Princess Wii are great.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #2148 on: April 15, 2016, 07:00:47 PM
I have Twilight Princess GC and it made me hate myself the least.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2149 on: April 18, 2016, 08:59:25 AM
Wii had the most item slots.

Along with swimming, the other "mixed bag improvement" of HD is managing items on the Game Pad.  You're supposed to be able to switch items on the fly, should be straightforward, right?  Except that Arrow combos are disabled if you don't pause. -AC