Alternatives to OBS, for desktop streaming.

N-Mario · 1802

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
on: March 18, 2017, 07:07:00 AM
Okay, this is going to seem silly.
I remember there were a few software tools back in the day when I was streaming my MegaMan game engine programming screen as I was working on the coding with StarsimsUniverse for a fan game I did back then. But now for the life of me, can't recall what the name of that stream software was. It is LITERALLY driving me crazy. I can't recall the name of something like this I've used in the past, and now don't even have any past references of it.
I don't think that software I've used to twitch stream my MegaMan programming even exists any more. Though a lot of people suggest OBS to stream the desktop to twitch, but I am looking for alternatives for that. Besides, I don't think OBS has the option for you to do a region/selection of a window, just the entire desktop, or entire/current window if memory serves.

So.... Are there any alternatives to OBS (possibly free) that can live stream a selected region of a desktop, or window screen, or entire desktop to something like twitch.tv? I looked around, but most of them now days you pay for something like this. Though the one I used in the past was not the top of the list of its day, but it was free, and it worked. I just HATE that it bugs me that I can't remember the name of that stream software I used to show Starsims (and others) when I was working on it back then.

The reason I ask is, I want to try to get back into doing that. I've accepted an offer from someone who wants to work on a new MM themed fan game, and had thoughts about doing a live stream session while we work together to plan the games structure.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 07:27:28 AM
You can always do window capture, and if you need to shrink the part shown hold ALT as you drag the mouse.

I did that with my window capture of Chatty for my on-screen chat.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything