Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #100 on: July 28, 2016, 07:53:15 AM
New rumors which may be nothing.  Yay?

Eurogamer has put up a pair of articles going back to the "hybrid device" mentality.  They are claiming that the NX is a handheld with a dock that connects to a TV, the sides of the handheld being detachable controllers, and that it'll be running off of a Tegra chip (claims that the devkits using a fan-cooled Tegra X1).  They are, naturally, sticking to the previous cartridge rumors.

I'm not sure how seriously to take these guys since they admit within one of the articles that prior to these reports they were banking on the "AMD/x86 system that will blow PS4 out of the water" theory.  I think that entire mentality was one giant overreaction to the "industry leading chips" comment that in no way whatsoever specified graphics.  Also, I distinctly recall that Tegra was rumored for the 3DS, which turned out to be false.

If this does turn out to be true, I'd be curious to know if that whole "supplemental computing" patent from a while back may refer to the system dock, to bump up the screen resolution at home (I can't imagine any way in hell Nintendo would put an HD screen on a handheld).  I'd also wonder if the dock can stream from the handheld if the full unit is needed for a particular game (assuming the unit has a touch screen).

I will say this:  If it is true, and Zelda Breath of the Wild is playable on the go, that would be pretty mind-blowing.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: August 01, 2016, 02:35:22 PM
http://wiiudaily.com/2016/07/nintendo-of-america-president-says-they-failed-to-market-the-wii-u-properly/

"Whatever the NX ends up being called, you can bet that it won’t have “Wii” in its name."

Halelujah!

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: August 02, 2016, 06:42:27 AM
I believe that remark was the author's and not Reggie's.  That said, I wholeheartedly agree.  "Wii" as a brand severely weakened right before Wii U launched, it was bad foresight and while I wouldn't put too much weight on a name alone (that kind of confusion is a symptom of disinterest), it certainly did more harm than good.  Doubly so in the long run, since it seems like ever since late 2015 Nintendo has been abandoning the Wii remote.

The Wii U was basically Nintendo's Playstation 3 in terms of how it was presented.  They came in with sheer arrogance because they assumed last gen's success would carry over, and it bit them square in the ass.  The 8GB SKU was pathetic, and it took them entirely too long to realize that Nintendo Land could never be Wii Sports.  Miyamoto in particular seems to not understand to this day that Wii's success was not based on originality for originality's sake, it was based on intuitiveness.  That's why off-TV play justifies the Gamepad more than Star Fox ever could.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: August 02, 2016, 07:18:11 AM
Yeah I know, but I'm just happy that Reggie acknowledged that the marketing for the Wii U sucked.  I mean it definitely wasn't the only thing, and definitely not the biggest either, but the marketing was just horrible.  I mean it's probably in the Top 5 biggest counsole marketing mistakes along with the aforementioned PS3 launch, the Xbone announcement, and the "brilliant" Sega Saturn launch.

I'm not sure if I should count the Video Game Crash of '83 caused by Atari though, I mean since that was more about really crappy games oversaturating the market than the console lauch/marketing itself right? :\ 

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: August 08, 2016, 07:31:24 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-quest-10-headed-to-nintendos-nx/1100-6442433/

Seems Square has officially confirmed that the 4th version of the MMO Dragon Quest X is heading for NX as well, along with the PS4 version.  Whether this comes out in the West is the real question however but I'm leaning on it's staying in Japan.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: August 21, 2016, 08:24:09 PM
http://gematsu.com/2016/08/dragon-quest-xi-confirmed-nx-simultaneous-launch-ps4-3ds-versions-suggested

Yuji Horii officially confirmed that Dragon Quest XI will have an NX version along with the PS4 and 3DS versions in a discussion with Masahiro Sakurai and Junichi Masuda.  He also says they want to launch all versions simultaneously to avoid Spoilers for the game.

Meanwhile I'm wondering how often Horii, Sakurai, and Masuda get together to talk about things with each other because this honestly shocked me.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: August 23, 2016, 05:58:22 AM
I wonder if DQXI will make it out of Japan...

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: August 23, 2016, 06:11:03 AM
I'm pretty sure it will, but it'll probably still take a lot longer than it has to to come here.  That's also not factoring whether your party members are generics like 3 and 9 or actual characters and having Party Talk Dialog.

But having it on 3 consoles instead of 1 does increase those odds compared to a single handheld or Console and a MMO RPG that came out before FF14 and before FF14 became good.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: September 20, 2016, 09:09:10 PM
http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/20/12986612/pokemon-nintendo-nx

Pokemon game(s) confirmed to be made for NX straight from Ishihara's mouth.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: September 26, 2016, 07:18:01 AM
I approve of any method of seeing Dragonite on my NX.  That said, I'm surprised to hear Pokemon Co. jumping onto new hardware already, normally they take their sweet time with that stuff.

Having fun sifting through the rumors.  The last Foxconn rumor I assume to be 80-90% BS, as the translator himself seems unsure of just how many parts the system is composed of, and it claims the chipset is still up in the air, meaning that even if it's legitimate it is outdated (I'm no electronics manufacturing wiz but I cannot imagine any way in hell they could be planning a March release without yet knowing what it is they're manufacturing).

One of the interesting conflicts I've heard regards the whole "detachable controllers" shpiel.  Numerous rumors including Emily Rogers report under the assumption that the point of the detachable controllers is to use them at home while the system is docked, but Peer over at IGN suggested that they're cheapy "travel controllers" not meant to be your main controllers for use at home.  Makes me wonder if it ties into the whole "infrared clip-on controller" patent that was unearthed, and if so that would go a ways to explaining the reports of a split D-Pad.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: September 26, 2016, 07:31:42 AM
I do kind of wish we could get another Pokemon Stadium/Battle Revolution but if the NX is a hybrid, which Ishihara may actually be hinting at, then that might as well be redundant.  But yeah usually Pokemon does wait a couple of years before making a game.

But yeah those rumor hunters sure come up with crazy stuff, I'm not really paying too much mind to them though and only really focus on the official confirmed stuff, in terms of this thread anyway.  Otherwise this thread would be 20 pages long by now.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: October 02, 2016, 03:54:43 AM
On that note...

Nintendo of Canada does not want to discuss the fact that they don't want to discuss the NX.

I'm gonna guess that has something with the fact that Nintendo of Canada themselves let a bit of speculation slip out, that being that they're expecting a Direct (although, honestly, that's not much of a stretch at this point).

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: October 02, 2016, 03:59:45 AM
Honestly I was expecting them to go the Nintendo Direct route anyway, this way they can show what they want to show and how they want to show it rather than having to be rushed at some segment in a huge convention.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: October 03, 2016, 10:05:17 PM
it's probably gonna be a gimmicky disappointment like the Wii-U was, isn't it...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: October 03, 2016, 10:11:53 PM
........Can we just wait until the thing is announced before passing judgement?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: October 03, 2016, 10:29:15 PM
it's probably gonna be a gimmicky disappointment like the Wii-U was, isn't it...

Do me a huge favor and leave RPM.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #116 on: October 04, 2016, 02:00:14 AM
You're basing your expectations off of as much info as Jack Thompson did for his vitriol back when Rockstar announced Bully (and just the name at that, nothing else about it).

Not only that, but the Wii U (yeah, no hyphen btw) is anything but a gimmicky disappointment.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #117 on: October 20, 2016, 02:43:55 AM
NX to be revealed tomorrow!

OH! WELL OKAY THEN! LOL

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #118 on: October 20, 2016, 02:44:44 AM
Lol you sniped me. XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #119 on: October 20, 2016, 02:47:49 AM
Still got it, young one!  8B

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: October 20, 2016, 02:57:40 AM
Either way, I'm glad they're finally doing it, I was really getting tired of seeing people beg for the NX reveal on anything Nintendo related.....ugh......

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #121 on: October 20, 2016, 08:02:17 AM

...this is what I do when I stay up late to watch computer scans.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: October 20, 2016, 04:07:25 PM

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: October 20, 2016, 04:18:27 PM

VIDEOGAMES

Offline Amatiramisu