N-Mario · 3605

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
on: March 05, 2014, 06:33:40 PM
I was messing around with Mega Man Wily Wars on different emulators. The one with the most accurate color palette on games seems to be Megasis. Unfortunately that emulator hasn't been updated in years. The problem with this emulator is in some areas in MegaMan Wily Wars, the stages have glitch like backgrounds.

Other more updated genesis emulators have these errors corrected. Unfortunately, the colors are incorrect. They are either brighter, or darker than Megasis, though mostly brighter. I'm trying to find one that displays the genesis games in correct palette colors like Megasis, but is more updated than Megasis.

I have tried Kega Fusion, Gens, Regens, Ages. A lot of them similar, though don't have a correct palette. Not to mention none of the genesis emulators have a palette editor for this kind of stuff.
Also, I haven't touched genecyst in years, since that one was a DOS emulator of their time. I doubt it could run on DosBox though.

But yea. Megasis is the only gens emulator that I can find that seems to have the correct color ratio. Just that it has some random background glitches, especially on some stages on MegaMan Wily Wars.

Also, I don't have any recent save states of MegaMan Wily Wars where all 3 Mega Man tiles start at Wily stages. All the ones I had were from some DOS genesis emulators.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:27:40 AM
For regular use, I pick Gens or Kega Fusion, specially for Sega CD ISOs.

As far as I know (and I was the first to figure this out before it went public), the only ROM that can properly save a SRAM to reach Wily Tower without save state is: Rockman Megaworld (J) [a1][!]

For the European ROM, only the Wily Tower save state works.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:50:22 AM
What was good about the PW system in the NES games was that I could enter a PW even on a new game, and start on a Wily stage.

But for games with a save system like Wily Wars for Genesis, I either have to find a save that has all 3 MM games starting at Wily stage for their respective game. Or I just have to play the game until I got there for all 3 games.

Also, If memory serves, there was an IPS patch that fixed some MegaMan Wily Wars games to save correctly, though may be for EUR version or something.

As for the color problem, as I said earlier, the colors are usually brighter or incorrect on most updated emulators. I like Megasis because it displays the correct colors, except that it has weird BG glitches on some games. Though if I can find a way for some other genesis emulators to display the correct palette, I might use them instead.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:56:23 AM
As for the color problem, as I said earlier, the colors are usually brighter or incorrect on most updated emulators. I like Megasis because it displays the correct colors, except that it has weird BG glitches on some games. Though if I can find a way for some other genesis emulators to display the correct palette, I might use them instead.

You should maybe take a picture of the game screen in both this Megasis and any other emulator. To show off this so-called color problem. I mean, I've played Sonic 3 on both a real console and multiple emulators and I've never noticed a color difference.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 08:06:01 AM
I'd also suggest looking in the settings and seeing if you can adjust the color.  It could also be your monitor.  I've seen colors displayed differently on different monitors.

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:14:36 PM
Okay look. I have loaded Wily Wars on 4 different emulators, and compare all 4 of them:
For some reason this forum resizes the screen shots. But if you view the images properly, the original colors of each emulator are present in each image.

Megasis:

Correct ratio, Correct palette. BG Error

Fusion:

Ugly Ratio, color is brighter than Megasis.

Gens:

Correct ratio, still noticeably brighter than Megasis.

Regen:

Incorrect ratio. Color is slightly different than Gens & Fusion. Still brighter than Megasis.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 06:21:17 PM
The ratio in Fusion looks to be [tornado fang]'d, its not usually like that. Try and fix it in the settings.

And honestly, I don't know if its just my phone or not but I see no difference between the colors of any of the screenshots. So either you're the palette equivalent of an audiophile or its your monitor.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 06:24:17 PM
I honestly can't tell between Gens and Megasis.  That might just be me, though, as I have contrast and some red/green colorblindness.

Personally, compared to the Megasis screenshot, Gens is pretty exact.  If the brightness is an issue, are there options to adjust it? 

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 06:55:25 PM
Yea I have a problem with this for NES games as well. Though at least it was easier to load the colors you wanted on NES games than any other game system emulator.

There is a color adjust on Gens, although its only limited to Brightness and Contrast, with a grayscale & inverted option. I don't know what the Color Scale drop down menus do.
- Raw is the screen shot I showed.
- Full makes it even more brighter.
- Full with S/H: I don't see any difference from Raw.

I tried fiddling around with the brightness and contrast settings in Gens. I just can't seem to match Megasis exact color scale. :(